Topical Dermatitis

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
My girlfriend gets topical dermatitis pretty bad... especially in the winter when the air is dry. She's tried pretty much everything. Prescription creams, fish oil, flax oil, borage oil, topical creams, etc. and nothing has really helped her.

She came across an article on Prebiotics and asked me if any of the board sponsors here carried a particular product. When I checked to see what was in it, it was mainly simple sugars.. Galactose, fructose, and some probiotics. From what little I've read, looks like the good bugs in your gut live better with this stuff, and somehow that helps with the topical dermatitis, at least in infants. (article is here: BBC NEWS | Health | Prebiotics 'cut baby's skin risk' )

Anyway, I guess what I'm asking is if anyone thinks this might be something reasonable to try. Certainly sounds safe enough. Or if you've suffered from topical dermatitis, what did you find that relieved the symptoms?

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
After some searching, I found Custom carries the prebiotics. Fructo Oligosaccharides. I'll be getting some soon and see if they help her out.

Also supposed to lower cholesterol.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I get that too in the winter. Red itchy patches on my arms and delts.

Please let me know how the FOS works.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
here's a tip. If you dont have a water softner, I bought a filtered shower head off the internet. it filters out chlorine, which dries out your skin. It did not solve my problem but made a huge difference.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I ordered the stuff today from Custom. I'll keep a log here for her. She's not into posting on boards.

Thanks for the tip WWB. I might look into that. Is there a filter cartridge to replace on the showerhead?

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
here's a tip. If you dont have a water softner, I bought a filtered shower head off the internet. it filters out chlorine, which dries out your skin. It did not solve my problem but made a huge difference.
Definitely makes a huge difference. Might also want to watch what kind of soap you're using also.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Well, after about 1.5 months of using FOS, she reports no change in the dermatitis. However, she did say that she hasn't had any stomach troubles, and is able to eat some foods now that she wasn't able to before. Tomatoes for one.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
I guess what I'm asking is if anyone thinks this might be something reasonable to try. Certainly sounds safe enough. Or if you've suffered from topical dermatitis, what did you find that relieved the symptoms?
At one point, prior to my introduction to nutritional supplementation, I had severe outbreaks of psoriasis (from my neck to my feet). This is where I learned the importance of detoxifying the body every once in a while. It has now been about 6 years since I have had any visible signs of psoriasis, so I can tell you what works for me.

The approach that the article was referring to, is only a small fraction of the bigger picture (Probiotics).

Prebiotics are just an additional fuel source for the healthy bacteria, already present in the body. Due to the fact that the article was in reference to infants/children, the administration of probiotics was not discussed.

If she is going to take the initiative to try prebiotics, than try researching a product called Nutricology ProGreens w/Advanced Pro Biotics. I get it in capsule form for 15-20 bucks a bottle.

I make sure to incorporate this product with liver detoxifiers such as Silymarin, NAC, and R-Dihydro-Lipoic Acid. This combination works wonders for detox. I use these products daily.

I also make sure to include a Sterol Complex, Ester C, MSM, EFA's, distilled water, and oh yeah.... Hyaluronic Acid.

I hope some of this information will be of benefit.

Good luck. I'll be curious to know if her condition improves.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the input. I gave her the info. Will keep you posted if she decides to check that out.