Two Patients with Acute Liver Injury Associated with Hydroxycut

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Two Patients with Acute Liver Injury Associated with Use of the Herbal Weight-Loss Supplement Hydroxycut

Stevens T, Qadri A, Zein NN.
Ann Intern Med. 2005 Mar 15;142(6):477-8.

TO THE EDITOR: Background: Many herbal supplements contain compounds that are potentially hepatotoxic. Newly formulated Hydroxycut (MuscleTech, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada) is a concoction of plant extracts designed to speed weight loss by increasing metabolism and curbing appetite.

Objective: To report 2 cases of severe hepatotoxicity associated with use of the weight-loss aid Hydroxycut.

Case Reports: Two men presented to our emergency department within a 2-month period and were admitted to the hospital. They were previously healthy and reported no recent foreign travel; sick contacts; or risk factors for viral, alcoholic, autoimmune, or hereditary liver disease. Except for Hydroxycut, they reported no recent use of herbal or prescription medications. Both underwent a similar serologic work-up, including viral studies (hepatitis A, B, and C viruses; Epstein–Barr virus; cytomegalovirus), antinuclear and anti– smooth-muscle antibody levels, acetaminophen level, and toxicology screening, which was unremarkable.

Patient 1, a 27-year-old man, presented with 8 days of fatigue and jaundice. He had been taking Hydroxycut for 5 weeks, 3 tablets 3 times per day. Laboratory analysis revealed a serum aspartate aminotransferase level of 1808 U/L (normal range, 5 to 50 U/L), a serum alanine aminotransferase level of 3131 U/L (normal range, 7 to 40 U/L), a bilirubin level of 133 micromol/L (7.8 mg/dL) (normal range, 0 to 26 micromol/L [0.0 to 1.5 mg/dL]), an alkaline phosphatase level of 171 U/L (normal, 40 to 150 U/L), an albumin level of 39 g/L (normal range, 35 to 50 g/L), a prothrombin time of 16 seconds (normal range, 9 to 13 seconds), and a platelet count of 208 X 109 cells/L (normal range, 150 to 400 X 109 cells/L). The aminotransferase levels peaked on hospital day 2 (aspartate aminotransferase level, 1969 U/L; serum alanine aminotransferase level, 3962 U/L). Four weeks later, results of the liver function tests had improved substantially (serum aspartate aminotransferase level, 114 U/L; serum alanine aminotransferase level, 304 U/L; bilirubin level, 22 micromol/L [1.3 mg/dL]).

Patient 2, a 30-year-old man, presented with 10 days of jaundice, fever, vomiting, and fatigue. For 5 days, between the 16th and 11th days before presentation, he had been taking 9 tablets of Hydroxycut per day. Except for jaundice and minimal abdominal tenderness, results of physical examination were normal. Laboratory analysis revealed a serum bilirubin level of 133 micromol/L (7.8 mg/dL), an alkaline phosphatase level of 530 U/L, an aspartate aminotransferase level of 59 U/L, a serum alanine aminotransferase level of 45 U/L, an albumin level of 28 g/L, a prothrombin time of 15 seconds, and a platelet count of 217 X 109 cells/L. An abdominal computed tomography scan and endoscopic retrograde cholangiogram were negative. On hospital day 4, liver biopsy revealed cholestasis and portal inflammation. The laboratory abnormalities improved, and the patient was discharged on hospital day 9. Two months later, results of liver tests were normal.

Discussion: To our knowledge, these are the first reported cases of hepatotoxicity associated with the use of Hydroxycut. Although the evidence reported here is not definitive, the lack of evidence for other causes and the temporal relationship of Hydroxycut ingestion to liver injury suggest a causative relationship. It is not clear which of the ingredients in Hydroxycut may have been responsible for hepatotoxicity.

A MEDLINE search did not reveal previous cases of hepatotoxicity resulting from Garcinia cambogia, Gymnema sylvestre, willow bark, glucomannan, green tea, or guarana extract. Patient 2 presented with a cholestatic liver injury pattern, and histologic examination confirmed portal inflammation and cholestasis.

Several herbs have been reported to produce cholestatic hepatitis including chaparral, kava, and Jin Bu Huan. Patient 1 presented with markedly elevated aminotransferase levels; although a biopsy was not obtained, hepatocyte necrosis was the likely pattern of injury. It is not unusual for a single herbal preparation to produce more than 1 type of clinicopathologic liver injury.

Conclusion: Evidence for the efficacy of Garcinia cambogia in promoting weight loss is not compelling. We therefore urge caution in the use of this supplement. Of broader concern are the widespread use of herbal preparations and lack of adequate monitoring of adverse outcomes.

Tyler Stevens, MD
Asif Qadri, MD
Nizar N. Zein, MD
Cleveland Clinic Foundation
Cleveland, OH 44118

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
They were taking 9 pills a day. How many are you supposed to take?

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
They were taking 9 pills a day. How many are you supposed to take?
Their new Hydroxycut "hardcore" does recommend 9 pills after like 2-3 weeks of use. This is real bad for the supplement industry in general :(

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
Even the old formula that contained ephedra suggested 8 to 9 pills in a day.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
WOW! this is alarming data!
Well, it should be sobering data but don't get alarmed. It's from March 2005 and apparently hasn't been repeated. These two guys might have gotten a bad batch, reacted poorly because they were unusually succeptable to the toxicity of some constituent, or just had plain bad luck.

However, the central theme (we don't really know what a lot of these things do or what percentage of people will have adverse reactions) should always be in one's mind.

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
Well, it should be sobering data but don't get alarmed. It's from March 2005 and apparently hasn't been repeated. These two guys might have gotten a bad batch, reacted poorly because they were unusually succeptable to the toxicity of some constituent, or just had plain bad luck.

However, the central theme (we don't really know what a lot of these things do or what percentage of people will have adverse reactions) should always be in one's mind.
Totally... thank God I'm lucky as to not have had any adverse reactions to any of the many supps that I've ingested over the years. Ya' know

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
What I try and keep in mind is that any substance, ingested by a large enough group of people over a long enough time period will lead to excess deaths.

People are going to have unpredictable allergic reactions, negative synergistic reactions with other things already in their systems, contaminated batches, underdosed/overdosed batches. It's just going to happen. The world is an imperfect place.

I try and be cautious whenever I try anything new. I take a small amount of it during the day (even if it is a nighttime supplement) because I want to be fully conscious if I have a bad reaction. I then slowly ramp-up to the expected dose. I'm also conscious about mixing substances.

This might all be excessive, but it's what I need to do to be reasonably comfortable putting novel substances in my body.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Same thing with the moron baseball player who took too much Xenadrine on a 98*F day in Florida while not drinking water and being dehydrated. Yeah he died, moron.

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
Same thing with the moron baseball player who took too much Xenadrine on a 98*F day in Florida while not drinking water and being dehydrated. Yeah he died, moron.

I remember that, it's ashame he died, but he was one of the incidents which led to the banning of ephedra. Sucks...

skull

skull

Awards
  • Established
this makes me think of the new wave of non stim weightloss supp"s with a load of compounds Ive never heard of before and not much data to back them either:fool2: :dump: :fool2: :dump: :gore: :saw:

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Did these 2 start off with the max dose, or did they build up as the weeks come, as the label suggest?

I've taken as many as 6 pills a day for amonth with no ill side effects, and that was about 14 months ago....

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Did these 2 start off with the max dose, or did they build up as the weeks come, as the label suggest?

I've taken as many as 6 pills a day for amonth with no ill side effects, and that was about 14 months ago....

I have no idea but given that these seem to be isolated incidents, I would guess that these two individuals were unusually succeptable for some reason.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

did you take hydrocut hardcore or the old hydroxycut?

also the bottle says take no more than 3 pills in a 4 hour peroid and no more than 6 pills a day-If in doubt read and follow the instructions

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
Its ashame, cause hydroxycut sucks balls anyways.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Jaundice and liver failure just doesn't sneak up on you. I wonder at what point these people thought they needed medical attention?
I think if a person monitors his day to day condition , they can use most supplements safely. People who blindly experiment with things
offen end up in peril. Ultimately, it is the individual's respocibility for whatever they put into their body.,

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
I have two trains of thought:
1) That MT shipped some bad versions to the area of the world where this happened; and these guys had weak livers. Or
2) That because the incidents happened int he same place they knew each other. They had been dosing some methylated oral at high or ignorant doses and decided MT was a stupid company and deep pockets. They both went in singing the same song. Why hasn't anyone else heard of Hydroxycut liver toxicity? I doubt (??) it excists.

Redeemer

Awards
I think he was a fatass too so I'm sure his heart was not a prime specimen.

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
well 8 people have died due to the world cup.. they should ban that first!

Redeemer

Awards
I also want to add, that if the dose is 6 pills daily, and this guy was taking 9 that was 1.5 times the standard dose if he was telling the truth. What happend if you take 1500mgs of Acetomenifen daily for 6 weeks. I'm sure that your enzymes are going to be elavated as well.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
did you take hydrocut hardcore or the old hydroxycut?

also the bottle says take no more than 3 pills in a 4 hour peroid and no more than 6 pills a day-If in doubt read and follow the instructions
Nah, wasnt the hardcore, it was about 14months ago, or a little more so...cant quite remember the exact brand tho...

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
feel kinda sorry for the guy's liver! you only get one and when it's gone, poof! onto the organ waiting list he goes

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
actually the bottle says do not exceed 3 caps in 4 hours or 6 caps in 24 hours. both were taking too much!

also what else were they taking????? thats the big question! with those liver values they had to be on something else or some underlying liver issues!

jcross

Awards
So many other factors can tax the liver. For all we know these guys killed a case of beer a night.

ninociamik

ninociamik

Awards
Jaundice and liver failure just doesn't sneak up on you.
I agree with this. I believe these 2 guys were taking something else, or they have had jaundice / liver problem for some time, and don't even know it. Liver problem symptoms are very general, sometimes really mild....that's why I'm really careful with my liver...

FYI, 20 year ago, my father's liver inflamed badly. His ALT was around 2,000 I believe, and he did not know it until he got his blood checked. the symptoms only extreme fatique which would go away after he slept for some time. And this happened for months before the symptoms get really visible. Well, he need to take full rest for 2-3 months and he was fine until now.

searl12

searl12

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMountD
I think he was a fatass too so I'm sure his heart was not a prime specimen.

very very veerry old thread, but for anyone to say this about a guy who lost his life at 23 by making a mistake should be ashamed. Sorry at 23, in the majors and in the prime of his life....lets all laugh cause he was overweight and died.

stfdkd37

Awards
these morons were taking damn near 10 pills a day i tried hh but didn't like it only headaches from it but i used the recommended dosage not 10 of those things wow