CLA Reduces Abdominal Fat But Fails to Help Insulin Sensitivity

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
DDW: Diet Supplement Reduces Abdominal Fat But Fails to Help Insulin Sensitivity

By Peggy Peck, MedPage Today Staff Writer
Reviewed by Rubeen K. Israni, M.D., Fellow, Renal-Electrolyte and Hypertension Division, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine

May 23, 2006
MedPage Today Action Points

* Explain to patients who ask that conjugated linoleic acid is an ingredient in many over-the-counter supplements.

* This study was published as an abstract and presented in a poster at a conference. These data and conclusions should be considered to be preliminary as they have not yet been reviewed and published in a peer-reviewed publication.

Review
Lee M. Kaplan, M.D., Ph.D. Massachusetts General

LOS ANGELES, May 23 — Overweight and obese patients who used a conjugated linoleic acid supplement for six months reduced abdominal fat, but that reduction failed to increase insulin sensitivity, researchers reported here.

Overweight and obese volunteers who took 3.5 grams/day of conjugated linoleic acid reduced waist circumference by a little less than 1.5 inches (P<0.001) and waist-hip ration was reduced by -0.024 (P=0.017), said Sandra Einerhand, Ph.D., research director at Lipid Nutrition, a division of Loders Croklaan in Wormerveer, The Netherlands.

Conjugated linoleic acid is sold under a number of brand names as an over-the-counter supplement.

Working with independent research centers in Norway, Dr. Einerhand recruited 118 obese and overweight adults, who were evenly randomized to conjugated linoleic acid supplementation or olive-oil capsule placebo, she reported at Digestive Disease Week sessions here.

In addition to height and weight measurements, Dr. Einerhand and colleagues assessed insulin sensitivity by use of euglycemic clamp.

After six months, patients in the conjugated linoleic acid group had reduced body fat mass by 5.6% (P=0.004 compared with placebo) and the reduction in fat mass was observed beginning at three months, she said.

Dr. Einerhand said conjugated linoleic acid was not associated with adverse effects on lipids, but she did not present lipid data.

Asked about a potential mechanism, Dr. Einerhand said that evidence from animal studies suggests that two conjugated linoleic acid isomers (cis-9, trans-11 conjugated linoleic acid and trans-10, cis-12 conjugated linoleic acid) work together to inhibit fat uptake by fat cells and instead send fat to muscle cells where it is burned off.

Among the findings:

* At three months, patients in the conjugated linoleic acid group had lost an average of 0.7 kg (1.54 pounds).
* In women fat reduction occurred in abdomen and legs, but in men fat loss was confined to the abdomen.
* After six months the average weight loss was 1.5 kg or about 3.3 pounds (P=0.05 compared with placebo).

But while the conjugated linoleic acid treatment did appear to reduce abdominal fat, insulin sensitivity was unaffected.

Lee M. Kaplan, M.D., Ph.D, director of the MGH Weight Center at Massachusetts General Hospital, said that disconnect between loss of visceral fat and evidence of metabolic change may reflect the study design. "The study many not be powered to detect a metabolic change or it may be that weight loss associated with CLA really has no effect on metabolism," he said.

Dr. Kaplan moderated a DDW press conference where Dr. Einerhand presented her findings.

Primary source: Digestive Disease Week
Source reference:
Einerhand, AW et al "Six months supplementation with conjugated linoleic acid decreases fat mass region-specifically in overweight and obese," Abstract 360.

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
A lot of people are saying that CLA doesn't work.
I think it worked for me but I will say that it is too expensive and I will not be buying it again.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
I think it worked for me but I will say that it is too expensive and I will not be buying it again.

Well, this study indicates that it works. However, it appears to be a subtle long-term product. I've taken it before but never at the doses noted here as efficacious (expensive).

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well, this study indicates that it works. However, it appears to be a subtle long-term product. I've taken it before but never at the doses noted here as efficacious (expensive).

That is without a reduction in calories though, correct? So take that into account and it may be worth the money.
When I was taking it I was taking 3g a day. The bottle went pretty fast! haha

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
That is without a reduction in calories though, correct? So take that into account and it may be worth the money.
When I was taking it I was taking 3g a day. The bottle went pretty fast! haha
Yes, this seems to indicate that the effect was due to cla shuttling nutrients to muscle preferentially over fat cells with out an reduction in calories.

Last edited:

the Cardinal

Awards
I don't mean to be a ****, but CLA is expensive only if one is too lazy to search online.

I'm aware of 2 different brands being sold by reputable companies, at reputable websites, that consist of 180 capsules of CLA (at .7 - .8 grams of CLA/capsule) for around $16 - 17. Add another $5 for shipping, and you've a got 35 - 50 day supply, depending on how closely you want to replicate the 3.5 grams/day used in the study, for less than $25 total. Google is a wonderful tool, fellas!

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
is ALCAR the same as CLA?:stick:
No sir. Not related at all.

ALCAR is the acetylated version of L-carnitine, an important amino acid that improves mitochondrial function and plays a role in fatty acid oxidation. ALCAR may be more bioavailable than l-carnitine, and also provides acetyl groups for synthesis of compounds such as acetylcholine. ALCAR also has a cholinomimetic effect on its own. Both ALCAR and l-carnitine have been successfully used to treat a very wide range of conditions with little or no side effects.
Conjugated linoleic acid is a trans fat, though some researchers claim that it is less harmful than other trans fatty acids. CLA is a Conjugated system, and the trans linkages are not counted as trans fat for the purposes of nutritional regulations and labeling.

CLA comes in two isomers, the 9,11 isomer which appears responsible for improving muscle growth and the 10,12 isomer which primarily prevents lipogenesis (storage of fat in adipose tissue). Most supplements sold in stores contain a 50/50 mix of both isomers. [1]

Various antioxidant and antitumor properties have been attributed to CLA, and studies on mice and rats show promising results, however it is suspected that sufficient concentrations to achieve anti-inflammatory effects within human tissues may not be attainable via oral consumption.

Many studies on CLA in humans show a tendency for reduced body fat[2], particularly abdominal fat, changes in serum total lipids and decreased whole body glucose uptake. Dietary CLA supplementation does not seem to have any adverse effects. The maximum reduction in body fat mass was achieved with a 3.4 g daily dose[3].

rockstar6181

Awards
thanks mate, felt a bit silly asking, i get confused bewteen some supplements manily these two lol..thanks again

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I am considering using CLA again.
yeahright, do you know of a better price/value of CLA than Scivation's MAX CLA?

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
I am considering using CLA again.
yeahright, do you know of a better price/value of CLA than Scivation's MAX CLA?
I would refer the right honorable gentleman to the post immediately preceeding his own. I'm quite sure that one of the wonderful board sponsors must have the best prices available.

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I would refer the right honorable gentleman to the post immediately preceeding his own. I'm quite sure that one of the wonderful board sponsors must have the best prices available.
This gentlemen is lazy. No doubt I am getting it from a sponsor though. Just though maybe you were smart and not just an article posting whore. JK!!!!! Love your posts!

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Now tell me the best value!
lol

Thanks for the links bro.

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
The study seemed to indicate that the weight lost came exclusivly from the abdomen. 1.5 pound by itself may not seem like much but 1.5 pounds lost directly from the abdomen would make a difference to me.

Still I wonder if yohimbe might not work at least as well.

reidhoch

Awards
MAX CLA contains 700mg of CLA, at a dose of 3.5g of CLA a day, or 5 pills a day a bottle would last approximately 36 days.

Reid

juggernaut333

Awards
  • Established
im going to grab some of this and start using it at 3.5 per day
i imagine how similar the effects would be on lean atheletes that train and diet correctly vs on obese sedentary ppl?

i dont beleive it was ever meant to be a quick overnight noticable fat burner,but more of a long term nute partitioning supplement.

this study seems to reinforce that.ppl taking 15-20g per day that may get pricey.but seems unecessary for some good benefits so taking 3.5 is quite financially feasible.And for that matter much less of pain in the butt to take every day.

There was a good Norwegian study that was done to further reinforce cla's effectiveness more for long term vs short term positive effects.I believe it was for 3-5g per day but I could be wrong as i may remember reading 3g 3 times a day,Ill see if I can find the study.

What are the current thoughts on possible life extension/antioxidant properties as I still hear mixed opinions?