Help me help a friend

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
OK folks here's the situation. My friend's birthday is coming up and he's a skinny ectomorph. His wife has always complimented me on my physique and she wants him to put on some muscle and bulk up a bit. Since I don't preach my lifestyle to people, I have barely educated them about anything, so they are starting from scratch. I am hooking him up with a free three month gym membership through my employer, and she will be stocking the house with protein-rich foods and buying him some supps.

That's where my question comes in. These aren't fitness enthusiasts like us, there are naive everyday people. And she is 110% determined to shop at GNC for one reason or another. No argument, she won't go online, she likes GNC. Period. She wants to keep it simple and get him some kind of "mass building kit" all in one box. Soooo...I want to help her find something decent.

I went to GNC and took a looked at a catalog for an upcoming sale, and wrote down some items. I don't use many, if any, things found in GNC, so I am not even sure how good some of the stuff is. I have my personal opinions on some of the companies, but I'm sure we all do (esp. MuscleTech).

This is what I found, comments please:

GNC's brand Anabolic Matrix Kit (seems to be very basic and lacks the option of a PW shake mix)

MuscleTech Muscle Building Stack (most expensive, has things I consider cutting supps along with a few that could be used for bulking)

BSN Mass Stack (I'm tempted to steer her toward this, I like BSN products myself)

NxCare Mass Cycle (basic stuff but, no PW shake)

NxCare Muscle Expansion Pack Stack (probably not appropriate/necessary for a beginner)

MHP Super Size Stack (looks decent but overpriced)

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
OK folks here's the situation. My friend's birthday is coming up and he's a skinny ectomorph. His wife has always complimented me on my physique and she wants him to put on some muscle and bulk up a bit. Since I don't preach my lifestyle to people, I have barely educated them about anything, so they are starting from scratch. I am hooking him up with a free three month gym membership through my employer, and she will be stocking the house with protein-rich foods and buying him some supps.

That's where my question comes in. These aren't fitness enthusiasts like us, there are naive everyday people. And she is 110% determined to shop at GNC for one reason or another. No argument, she won't go online, she likes GNC. Period. She wants to keep it simple and get him some kind of "mass building kit" all in one box. Soooo...I want to help her find something decent.

I went to GNC and took a looked at a catalog for an upcoming sale, and wrote down some items. I don't use many, if any, things found in GNC, so I am not even sure how good some of the stuff is. I have my personal opinions on some of the companies, but I'm sure we all do (esp. MuscleTech).

GNC's brand Anabolic Matrix Kit (seems to be very basic and lacks the option of a PW shake mix)

MuscleTech Muscle Building Stack (most expensive, has things I consider cutting supps along with a few that could be used for bulking)

BSN Mass Stack (I'm tempted to steer her toward this, I like BSN products myself)

NxCare Muscle Expansion Pack Stack (probably not appropriate/necessary for a beginner)

**** that.. make the Methusulah kit... order form nutra or something.. box it... slap a 10% markup, and sell it to her!!! She'll get quality products, even with a 10% markup she will save a **** ton of money... and you make out with a couple bux.

Adams

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hell of an idea, if only I can get a GNC employee to go in on it with me, because this woman is hell bent on buying from them.

Don't worry, once they both learn a little more, I will have him hooked on quality stuff in no time. After all, it happened to me!!!!

heater

Awards
Listen, if he is new to working out giving him a ton of supps is probably not the right approach. First off, will he even give a sh*t about working out, or is it just alot of pressure from the "ole lady".

I think supplements can begin as simple/cheap as protein and aminos (esp glutamine). Dont overwork their budget. I am a firm believer of you eat good, work out hard, you get results.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yes he is aware we are doing this and he appreciates it, he will be motivated to go the gym by myself and his wife. He's a scrawny guy so I think once he sees results, he will be addicted!

Yeah I realize supps are just that, "supplements" to a good diet and training, that's part of the reason we are keeping it simple for now. At least I got the two of them into taking daily multiple vitamins and EFAs. Like I said, I won't preach, just answer their questions, and I hope my friend will wake up and smell the coffee and learn things on his own soon enough. Heck he may even end up on here if I can get him that interested.

heater

Awards
I am a firm beliver in supplementation; however, i think sometimes alot of people don't do the necessary research to see what works for them.....I guess the moral of my story is to start slow and figure out what works for your body.

I hope the best for your friends. Great job by getting them on multi's and EFA's.

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
You know I constantly hear about men wanting 'the woman' to get in shape, and it never works out. If he wants it, he will do it. The fact is that doing a month at the gym with crap loads of supps will likely get him only minor results that may not entice further action on his part. I wish everyone had the gym bug, but it just does not work that way, I'm sure he has something else he likes spending his time at.

However, if you think putting on 5 or so pounds will give him the incentive then by all means go for it. Just be cautious in your expectations. My buddy was finally able to get his wife, fiance at the time, into the gym. Had her eating properly, got her a trainer and boom, there goes 20 plus pounds like that. Then she got tired of it and gave it all up - it just was not her thing.

What's his age? Has he every worked out before? Has she? Will he be intimidated by the bulls at the gym?

God sorry, I ramble at times.

:dump:

theragingbull

Awards
Just tell him too eat big too be big.All the supps. are goin to scare him off as we all know they are not cheap so just eat and lift heavy But he needs too start out slow.Maybe a clean weightgainer.

SizeMatters

NickyNoNames

NickyNoNames

Awards
Just tell him too eat big too be big.All the supps. are goin to scare him off as we all know they are not cheap so just eat and lift heavy But he needs too start out slow.Maybe a clean weightgainer.

SizeMatters

yea man, tell him that, also buy him some cheap yet quality whey protein (on nutrition) and your everyday creatine mono hyds tell him when to take it and how much and stuff and he should see SOME fast results.... this is assuming he never worked out before.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Methusela (you OWE me some pics by the way..... :D ),
Forget glutamine - worthless.
I'd agree with BCAA's and EFA's. Or, you can just go with flax oil. It has an excellent Omega 3 profile. I suppose it depends on budget.

I would recommend Muscle Milk. With 2% milk, 2 scoops (the regular serving) has like 640 calories.
It tastest AWESOME (which is an understatement) and is quality cals.
I'd also get a regular whey for post-WO like Niky recommended. Have him take the MM when he doesn't have time for a whole meal (like mid-afternoon for me due to stupid meetings and stuff at work).
Last month, they had MM for like $24 with the Gold Card discount - which isn't bad for a regular store.

Creatine is a good idea. I'd look for something like V-12 that tastes decent. NO Xplode is good if he needs a "boost".

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

Try to get her to sign him up with Bobo. I think that's probabaly your best bet right now. If she insists on supplement in a box, go with the BSN mass stack.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
I'd look for something like V-12 that tastes decent. ".
Ha Ha V-12 Turbo wow I have not heard that in awhile. Yeah man that stuff is good. I would wait on that for about 6 months myself when he kinda plateaus in strength and poof he will get stronger on V12 and want to workout more!!

Again I would get some muscle milk because it tastes good. Even 1 scoop muscle milk and I scoop whey. Some amino's, a good multi vitamin, and V-12 Turbo on his shelf but hold off on it, Just my 2 cents......

Start with that if he really gets into it tell him about Fitday.com steer him into proper eating 40 40 20 etc.. I myself am 50 30 20 but everyone is different....

Will you be working out with him? If so just bare with him hes going to be weak and have NO stamina so start slow don't kill him lol

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Pit - I said V-12 because it's one of the few good creatine formulas I remember GNC having (outside of NO Xplode and Cell-mass) and I bought some on sale at BN earlier that night.

Come to think of it, I think GNC now sells Size ON - so you may think about recommending that to him Methusela. Folks seem to really like SizeOn.