Some help please...

ThePongLegend

Awards
Hey guys...
im 17 and weight around 160, and currently take muscle milk and am gonna start takin pro complex along with a BCAA, but i am a hockey player and its hard for me to hit the weight room during the hockey season because of practice everynight and school everyday...i was wondering if, during the season, staying on the Muscle Milk would be the best thing for me to do, and should i get off the pro complex and BCAA because i cant lift?
Also, is there somethng out there that i could take as a meal replacement late at night because i dont get home til around 12 every night and need food or some type of nutrition...
i'm kind of new to taking supplements, so if you guys could help me, that would be amazing

400runner

Banned
Awards
  • Established
why cant you lift. make time for it.

dont worry about supplements like your doing... there are many MRP's and other supplements out there. what you need to do is wake up a hour earlier than you do and hit the weights. if you dont hit the weights then dont waste your money on supplements. if i were you, i would stress more about all around diet.

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
Like 400 said, make some time to lift. Even if its only 2 times a week for like half an hour. You wont gain anything, but at least it will help you maintain what you have.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
Like 400 said, make some time to lift. Even if its only 2 times a week for like half an hour. You wont gain anything, but at least it will help you maintain what you have.
Yup Yup what he said and maybe when your at home and only have like 15 minutes free do a million push ups, sit ups, tell your friend umm maybe a girl lol have her jump on your back and squat her. I wont tell you a good forearm workout AHHAHA just goto thehun.com for that :twisted: .

rocketscientist

Awards
Hey guys...
im 17 and weight around 160, and currently take muscle milk and am gonna start takin pro complex along with a BCAA, but i am a hockey player and its hard for me to hit the weight room during the hockey season because of practice everynight and school everyday...i was wondering if, during the season, staying on the Muscle Milk would be the best thing for me to do, and should i get off the pro complex and BCAA because i cant lift?
Also, is there somethng out there that i could take as a meal replacement late at night because i dont get home til around 12 every night and need food or some type of nutrition...
i'm kind of new to taking supplements, so if you guys could help me, that would be amazing
I assume from your posting that you are really interested in what will give you the best results with respect of playing hockey not necessarily how you'll keep most of your gains you made during the off season (the simplest solution otherwise would be to play as little hockey as possible).

I think you should look into the basics of a good diet.
First you should eat often, about every 3 hours (unless your coach says you need to lose weight... but I don't think that's the case). Then you kind of have to work your practice schedule into your diet. Maybe you can give some details about the whole practice scenario (drive to practice - I know people who drive an hour each way to and from hockey practice - duration of your practice, intensity etc). But I would roughly suggest to eat something about 1 hour before practice. Drink some gatorade or similar during practice if by any means possible, and eat something high on proteins and carbs right after. You may need to prepare and pack your food but the timing is important here. Then when you get home eat again something small and light, cottage cheese with some whole grain bread is good and hit the sack.

Now once your diet is in place you can think about supplementation. If you want to supplement, do it around your workout times, e.g. mix in some protein into the gatorade you drink during workout. Or take the protein right after the workout (together with some carbs). Keep in mind though that supplements are just another (very useful) tool in the game, but they can't serve as a replacment for a good diet. So before you use anything, be sure to know (exactly) what you are taking and what place it has in your diet. In that sense, e.g. ask yourself why you are taking BCAAs?

And another thing - if you don't see any noticable difference when you use a particular supplement, don't use it. You're wasting your money.

ThePongLegend

Awards
basically start with a diet and then work in the supplements is what im being told?
my diet is already set, i do eat almost every 6 hours, mainly snacks (usually high in carbs or protein)...and during the season i figured in that i will be able to hit weights every night that i have practice (almost 4 nights a week)...so i will be able to stay with the weights
The next question is though, when should i start taking Pro Complex and BCAA? A buddy of mine takes scivation BCAA and said it works wonders...but i dont know when a perfect time would be to start taking it.
Also, do i stay on the muscle milk, or do i dump it after i start taking Pro Complex and BCAA?
I lift 5 days a week, and sometimes twice a day now, and i hope to keep in the same work out plan.
Thanks for your help guys :D...i wish my math teacher would help as much as you guys are haha

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
my diet is already set, i do eat almost every 6 hours, mainly snacks (usually high in carbs or protein
You should be eating every 2 to 3 hours. 1.3 to 2.0 grams of protein per pound of your body weight. Fitday.com will help you there. Food is way more important than any supplement.

I lift 5 days a week, and sometimes twice a day now
You are over training your body on that schedule.

The next question is though, when should i start taking Pro Complex and BCAA?
Are you asking when should you take this during the day? Or when you start hitting the weights?

rocketscientist

Awards
basically start with a diet and then work in the supplements is what im being told?
Yes.

my diet is already set, i do eat almost every 6 hours, mainly snacks (usually high in carbs or protein)
...unless that's a typo and you mean 3 hours (or less) not 6 and your snacks are real, good quality food, scrap that diet and start over again.

...and during the season i figured in that i will be able to hit weights every night that i have practice (almost 4 nights a week)...so i will be able to stay with the weights.
Ok, now you need to eat every hour. Well - in fact don't stop eating at all. I think you'll need all food you can get if you want to gain muscle and keep on playing playing hockey, some 5 times a week or so.

The next question is though, when should i start taking Pro Complex and BCAA? A buddy of mine takes scivation BCAA and said it works wonders...but i dont know when a perfect time would be to start taking it.
The perfect time to start taking this stuff is when you understand what BCAAs are and what they do for you. And then you may find that it doesn't do anything for you at all, since in your new and revised diet you are now eating all the time :)

Also, do i stay on the muscle milk, or do i dump it after i start taking Pro Complex and BCAA?
I lift 5 days a week, and sometimes twice a day now, and i hope to keep in the same work out plan.
Thanks for your help guys :D...i wish my math teacher would help as much as you guys are haha
What's the difference between musclemilk and Pro Complex? And did I mention you need to eat more frequently... And on the exercise side - more is not necessarily better.

I could give you the answers but a) why should you believe me and b) I want to encourage you to spend some time on this. You'll learn more that way than anyone could ever teach you.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
Pond don't get frustrated if the answer we are giving you are not what you want to hear buddy. Take advantage of these forums, you will learn SOOO much. Your body is very complex and takes a lot of understanding most people don't just walk into the gym and workout for 6 months and be huge and ripped. It takes along time. Just stick with it don't ever quit!

ThePongLegend

Awards
Yes.

Ok, now you need to eat every hour. Well - in fact don't stop eating at all. I think you'll need all food you can get if you want to gain muscle and keep on playing playing hockey, some 5 times a week or so.

So basically dont stop eating during the season?

Also, im not gettin frustrated...i really am learning, thank you everyone for the help...:D

rocketscientist

Awards
Yes.

So basically dont stop eating during the season?

Also, im not gettin frustrated...i really am learning, thank you everyone for the help...:D
You will need a boatload of 'calories' just to fuel your two workout sessions every day. And if you want to gain some muscle you will need even more (and at 160 lbs you don't sound like someone who easily puts on fat, but if you do, just adjust your diet and eat a little less).
My guess is that if you really have only been eating every 6 hours your calorie intake was way to low. If you change that you may be surprised how much more energy you will have in your workouts and how much less exhausted you will feel after a workout or practice session.

Of course it would be good if you did all this a bit more systematic. The stickies in the Nutrition forum explain a lot on very little space and pitbull gave a link to a site that helps you track your diet etc. which is very interesting as well (I haven't used it myself, but it should also have tools to let you estimate your calorie needs).

Good luck and have fun.

ThePongLegend

Awards
thanks for the help again guys i really do appreciate this...if i have any more questions, i know who to come talk to :D