Creatine Article

1. Registered User

Exclamation Creatine Article

CREATINE SUPPLEMENTATION AUGMENTS THE INCREASE IN SATELLITE CELL AND MYONUCLEI NUMBER IN HUMAN SKELETAL MUSCLE INDUCED BY STRENGTH TRAINING.

****, sorry for the caps, was too lazy to type the stuff again。 

Inst of Sports Medicine Copenhagen.

The present study investigated the influence of creatine and protein supplementation on satellite cell frequency and myonuclei number in human skeletal muscle during 16 wks of heavy-resistance training. In a double-blinded design thirty-two healthy, male subjects (19-26 years) were assigned to strength training (STR) while receiving a timed intake of creatine (STR-CRE) (n=9), protein (STR-PRO) (n=8), placebo (STR-CON) (n=8) or serving as a non-training control group (CON) (n=7). Supplementation was given daily (STR-CRE : 6-24 g creatine monohydrate, STR-PRO: 20 g protein, STR-CON: placebo). Furthermore, timed protein/placebo intake were administered at all training sessions. Muscle biopsies were obtained at wks 0, 4, 8 (wk 8 not CON) and 16 of resistance training (3 days/wk). Satellite cells were identified by immunohistochemistry. Muscle mean fibre (MFA) area was determined after histochemical analysis. All training regimes were found to increase the proportion of satellite cells, however, significantly greater enhancements were observed with creatine supplementation at wk 4 (compared to STR-CON) and at wk 8 (compared to STR-PRO and STR-CON) (p<0.01-0.05). At wk 16, satellite cell number was no longer elevated in STR-CRE, while it remained elevated in STR-PRO and STR-CON. Furthermore, creatine supplementation resulted in an increased number of myonuclei per fibre and increases of 14-17% in MFA at wks 4, 8 and 16 (p<0.01). In contrast, STR-PRO showed increase in MFA only in the later (16 wks, +8%) and STR-CON only in the early (wk 4, +14%) phases of training, respectively (p<0.05). In STR-CRE a positive relationship was found between the percentage increases in MFA and myonuclei from baseline to week 16, respectively (r=0.67, p<0.05). No changes were observed in the control group (CON). In conclusion, the present study demonstrate for the first time that creatine supplementation in combination with strength training amplifies the training-induced increase in satellite cell number and myonuclei concentration in human skeletal muscle fibres, thereby allowing an enhanced muscle fibre growth in response to strength training.

Anyways, here's the page.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

2. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

cool. scientific proof for what we already knew.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

aaaaaand now they will ban it.

I've read that creatine increases the amount of intracellular IGF in skeletal muscle so that's probably the root cause for the increase in number of satellite cells.
    •   

4. Gold Member

The finding that SC content was no longer elevated at wk 16 in STR-CRE (Fig.1) suggests that creatine supplementation accelerated the incorporation of SC derived myonuclei to the growing muscle fibres, establishing the appropriate myonuclear domain earlier than the other training groups.
    Can someone explain to me what this means? Would that indicate that, say 16 weeks of Creatine supp. would be enough, i.e. cycling creatine would be better?
  5. Doctor Science
    Board Sponsor

Man if only I could find a study that told how much MGF raised satellite cell production we can see how effective creatine is in comparison

Good post though man.
  6. Registered User

Great post - karma for you.
  7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rocketscientist
    Can someone explain to me what this means? Would that indicate that, say 16 weeks of Creatine supp. would be enough, i.e. cycling creatine would be better?
    I don't think so, but don't quote me on that one.

Satellite cells are generally non-proliferative. They serve as muscle stem cells (and release signals of cell differentiation to myonuclei) and also probably release growth factors/nutrients to muscle cells when they are under stress (e.g. weightraining).

It looks like creatine is speeding up the differentiation process, and thus incorporating new myonuclei into the appropriate type of muscle cell at an (ultimately) faster rate than satellite cells are being produced. Hence the "decline" as satellite cells differentiate.
  8. Registered User

Interesting study. I wish we had a library of good studies like this one to look through on this board.
  9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by theshocker21
    Interesting study. I wish we had a library of good studies like this one to look through on this board.
    If you'd like to try some searching on your own, go here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?DB=pubmed

You may already know about PubMed. If not, search away.
  10. Registered User

Awesome, thanks.
  11. Banned

So does that I should take creatine eh?
  12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Sooty
    So does that I should take creatine eh?
    Are you drunk? J/k... I know what you mean
  13. Banned

haha. naw not drunk I quit drinking after i realized that im missing a liver enzyme that processes alcohol.

when i drink, i get headache, my face turns red and swollen, and i dont feel good at all. im only 17... the last time and first time i really had alot to drink i was at madison wisconsin... pretty much had 8 beers, 6 shots, a long island ice tea and a screwdriver, and wasnt tipsy at all. i just felt really bad and my head hurt.

Soo not drunk, just tired

sorry for long post yipp
  14. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Sooty
    haha. naw not drunk I quit drinking after i realized that im missing a liver enzyme that processes alcohol.

when i drink, i get headache, my face turns red and swollen, and i dont feel good at all. im only 17... the last time and first time i really had alot to drink i was at madison wisconsin... pretty much had 8 beers, 6 shots, a long island ice tea and a screwdriver, and wasnt tipsy at all. i just felt really bad and my head hurt.

Soo not drunk, just tired

sorry for long post yipp
    haha, a japanese friend of mine has the same problem...
  15. Banned

i know, im a quarter japanese - my mom is half and has the same prob. my gramps is 100percent also has same prob.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Interesting article on Creatine
    By EZDUZIT in forum Supplements
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 02-24-2011, 11:02 PM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-08-2008, 09:20 PM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-29-2007, 02:47 PM
  4. More Creatine Articles
    By Speischerkater in forum Supplements