caffeine catabolic?

Matty0641

Awards
Hello everyone,
I was reading in a natural bodybuilding mag. that consumtion of cafeen over time is catabolic anyone know anything about this?

unitas27

unitas27

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Caffiene does increase cortisol, which may be the reasoning they are calling it catabolic.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Also increases things such as adrenaline, which can also be catabolic.

Basically any type of thermogenic is gonna be catabolic to a degree.

snowtiger

Awards
i take things like lipo6 ( original) or AMP almost everyday for work and i train like a machine. way harder than guys not on them. people always ask me why i train like that.. heehee i get more gains so i dont think its too catabolic.. eat and supp proper toooooooooo!

Bigfishy

Awards
Hmmm, Ephedrine is actually anti-catabolic if I rememeber correctly. Also in a study people who consumed caffine pre-w/o made better lbm gains than those who didn't (article in "the bull" magazine). I wouldn't frown on all stims quite yet.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
I'm drinking Newman's French Roast at this very moment and my body stills looks the same size except....wait a minute, something's growing.:woohoo:

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
Also increases things such as adrenaline, which can also be catabolic.

Basically any type of thermogenic is gonna be catabolic to a degree.
Possibly, but caffiene also illicits a catecholamine response, which appear to be anti-catabolic in muscle tissue.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Possibly, but caffiene also illicits a catecholamine response, which appear to be anti-catabolic in muscle tissue.
Haha damn you beat me to it ;). Yeah that is what I was getting at in my first post, although I didn't elaborate too well. A lot of times it isn't the actual hormone that is anabolic/catabolic, but the responses often times can elicit both effects. I know caffeine also releases adrenaline, which is catabolic as well.

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
Adrenalin is one of the catecholamines. It may breakdown glycogen for glucose, but it also activates the beta-adrenoreceptors promoting lipolysis, which is why fat burners can be handy during dieting.

6oxo User

Awards
Another good reason to drink coffee is the highest concentration of anti-oxidants found versus any other food or drink.

The Godfather

Awards
Another good reason to drink coffee is the highest concentration of anti-oxidants found versus any other food or drink.
It is not higher in antioxidants than any other food or drink AFAIK but the average american gets the most of their antioxidants/day from coffee than naything elese.

Just goes to show how bad the average person's nutrition is :)

6oxo User

Awards
It is not higher in antioxidants than any other food or drink AFAIK but the average american gets the most of their antioxidants/day from coffee than naything elese.

Just goes to show how bad the average person's nutrition is :)
http://nootropics.com/caffeine/antioxidants.html
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/08/0831_050831_coffee.html
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-08-28-coffee-antioxidants_x.htm

Which foods have more antioxidants then coffee?

The Godfather

Awards
His team analyzed the antioxidant content of more than 100 different food items, including vegetables, fruits, nuts, spices, oils and common beverages. They then used Agriculture Department data on typical food consumption patterns to calculate how much antioxidant each food contributes to a person's diet.
The study showed the average american got the most of their antioxidants from coffee not that coffee is the most antioxidant dense food or drink

6oxo User

Awards
The study showed the average american got the most of their antioxidants from coffee not that coffee is the most antioxidant dense food or drink
I know that's in there, but so is the fact coffee has more antioxidants then 2 well known foods being tomatoes and red grapes. I was just wondering what other foods are more antioxidant dense then coffee. For my own knowlege because I'm a big believer in antioxidants.

Gokmog

Gokmog

Awards
this is a nice site for explaining things:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/coffee.htm

http://home.howstuffworks.com/caffeine.htm

if anyone here is familiar with Aeternitatis' post on sleeping aids.. the l-theanine helps to counteract the caffeine.. the caffeine is an antagonist to adenosine, which is an inhibitory neurotransmitter... so it works against inhibition, then you've got the l-theanine which works against what is working against the inhibition... and... uhhh... yeah.... i.....

what was i saying? i need some java, i'm not thinking too clearly! unfortunately the l-theanine helps put a person into alpha wave state, and not the deeper waves needed to get to the most beneficial stages of sleep.

man, good to see the small red beans (adzuki?) have such a high ORAC value. that rocks.

i was surprised to see that coffee can help against parkinson's disease. i want coffee that isn't SWP (swiss-water processed i think) decaffeinated or chemically decaffeinated. i want the genetically modified decaffeinated coffee. i understand that the stimulant helps with the liver cancer 'n stuff but i'd sure like to not have to be so stimulated. that six hour half-life is crazy. i'm betting the SWP decaf is also lower in antioxidants, like the decaf green teas.

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
BUMP^

Well I don't doubt caffeine can be catabolic to the point that it will hinder your gains. I mean one scoop of NO-Xplode has 100 mgs of caffeine and most people dose with 2-3 scoops. How catabolic can it be? Like someone said in a previous post, it can pose that much of a threat if you have your diet in check so drunk up your coffee and have your caffeine if you need!

You can go back and forth all day on the pros and cons to caffeine but it would be pointless

Caffeine increases exogenous carbohydrate oxidation during exercise

Sophie E. Yeo, Roy L. P. G. Jentjens, Gareth A. Wallis, and Asker E. Jeukendrup

Human Performance Laboratory, School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Submitted 10 February 2005 ; accepted in final form 14 April 2005
Both carbohydrate (CHO) and caffeine have been used as ergogenic aids during exercise. It has been suggested that caffeine increases intestinal glucose absorption, but there are also suggestions that it may decrease muscle glucose uptake. The purpose of the study was to investigate the effect of caffeine on exogenous CHO oxidation. In a randomized crossover design, eight male cyclists (age 27 ± 2 yr, body mass 71.2 ± 2.3 kg, maximal oxygen uptake 65.7 ± 2.2 ml·kg–1·min–1) exercised at 64 ± 3% of maximal oxygen uptake for 120 min on three occasions. During exercise subjects ingested either a 5.8% glucose solution (Glu; 48 g/h), glucose with caffeine (Glu+Caf, 48 g/h + 5 mg·kg–1·h–1), or plain water (Wat). The glucose solution contained trace amounts of [U-13C]glucose so that exogenous CHO oxidation could be calculated. CHO and fat oxidation were measured by indirect calorimetry, and 13C appearance in the expired gases was measured by continuous-flow IRMS. Average exogenous CHO oxidation over the 90- to 120-min period was 26% higher (P < 0.05) in Glu+Caf (0.72 ± 0.04 g/min) compared with Glu (0.57 ± 0.04 g/min). Total CHO oxidation rates were higher (P < 0.05) in the CHO ingestion trials compared with Wat, but they were highest when Glu+Caf was ingested (1.21 ± 0.37, 1.84 ± 0.14, and 2.47 ± 0.23 g/min for Wat, Glu, and Glu+Caf, respectively; P < 0.05). There was also a trend (P = 0.082) toward an increased endogenous CHO oxidation with Glu+Caf (1.81 ± 0.22 g/min vs. 1.27 ± 0.13 g/min for Glu and 1.12 ± 0.37 g/min for Wat). In conclusion, compared with glucose alone, 5 mg·kg–1·h–1 of caffeine coingested with glucose increases exogenous CHO oxidation, possibly as a result of an enhanced intestinal absorption

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
and then....

Research: Caffeine elevates cortisol levels

1: Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2006 Apr 20

Cortisol responses to mental stress, exercise, and meals following caffeine intake in men and women

Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK, United States.

Caffeine elevates cortisol secretion, and caffeine is often consumed in conjunction with exercise or mental stress. The interactions of caffeine and stress on cortisol secretion have not been explored adequately in women. We measured cortisol levels at eight times on days when healthy men and women consumed caffeine (250 mgx3) and underwent either mental stress or dynamic exercise protocols, followed by a midday meal, in a double blind, placebo-controlled, crossover design. Men and women had similar cortisol levels at the predrug baselines, but they responded differently to mental stress and exercise. The cortisol response to mental stress was smaller in women than in men (p=.003). Caffeine acted in concert with mental stress to further increase cortisol levels (p=.011), the effect was similar in men and women. Exercise alone did not increase cortisol, but caffeine taken before exercise elevated cortisol in both men and women (ps<.05). After a postexercise meal, the women had a larger cortisol response than the men, and this effect was greater after caffeine (p<.01). Cortisol release in response to stress and caffeine therefore appears to be a function of the type of stressor and the sex of the subject. However, repeated caffeine doses increased cortisol levels across the test day without regard to the sex of the subject or type of stressor employed (p<.00001). Caffeine may elevate cortisol by stimulating the central nervous system in men but may interact with peripheral metabolic mechanisms in women.