Lipo 6 - ingredients

J

jjse1f

Awards
Lipo 6

With summer fast approaching, I decided to do some research on some of the heavily pushed ‘fat burning’ pills, for some reason I chose Lipo-6.

As of 3-27-2006, Lipo 6 was the 5th best seller (fat burner category) on a popular supplement website.

I mainly did this for my own personal benefit to see if a new pill could beat the classic EC stack, then I decided to post it up for feedback.

The only variable I can’t prove with out actually taking the pill is the synergy of all the ingredients.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 2 capsules
Servings Per Container: 60
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*
Citrus aurantium (synephrine 6% N-methyl tyramine 0.9-1.6% tyramine 0.2-0.4% hordenine 0.2-0.4% octopamine 0.2-0.4%) 335 mg **%
Caffeine anhydrous USP 200 mg **%
Yohimbine HCL 5 mg **%
Coleus forskohlii (standardized to 20% Forskolin) 100 mg **%
Carnitrex 100 mg **%
Bioperine 5 mg **%

J

jjse1f

Awards
1. Citrus aurantium, Octopamine
http://www.ebmonline.org/cgi/content/full/229/8/698
Abstract:
Seville orange (Citrus aurantium) extracts are being marketed as a safe alternative to ephedra in herbal weight-loss products, but C. aurantium may also have the potential to cause adverse health effects. C. aurantium contains synephrine (oxedrine), which is structurally similar to epinephrine. Although no adverse events have been associated with ingestion of C. aurantium products thus far, synephrine increases blood pressure in humans and other species, and has the potential to increase cardiovascular events. Additionally, C. aurantium contains 6',7'-dihydroxybergamottin and bergapten, both of which inhibit cytochrome P450-3A, and would be expected to increase serum levels of many drugs. There is little evidence that products containing C. aurantium are an effective aid to weight loss. Synephrine has lipolytic effects in human fat cells only at high doses, and octopamine does not have lipolytic effects in human adipocytes.

2. Yohimbine
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=1960007&dopt=Citation

Department of Family and Community Medicine, Lancaster General Hospital, PA 17603.

Forty-seven men with a mean age of 42 years were assigned in random, double-blind fashion to treatment with either placebo or high-dose yohimbine (peak dose, 43 mg/day). Thirty-three subjects completed the six-month program. Variables assessed throughout the study included: body weight and body mass index; total cholesterol and HDL; body fat; and fat distribution as measured both by waist-to-hip ratio and by CT scan. Treatment with yohimbine had no effect on any variable in comparison with the control group.

My notes: (I was rather disappointed to learn that yohimbine doesn’t help with weight loss. But I am still looking)

3. Caffeine anhydrous: known appetite suppressant and stimulant. I don’t think I need a study to prove this.

4. Coleus forskohlii (standardized to 20% Forskolin)

http://www.obesityresearch.org/cgi/content/abstract/13/8/1335

Objective: This study examined the effect of forskolin on body composition, testosterone, metabolic rate, and blood pressure in overweight and obese (BMI 26 kg/m2) men.
Research Methods and Procedure: Thirty subjects (forskolin, n = 15; placebo, n = 15) were studied in a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study for 12 weeks.
Results: Forskolin was shown to elicit favorable changes in body composition by significantly decreasing body fat percentage (BF%) and fat mass (FM) as determined by DXA compared with the placebo group (p 0.05). Additionally, forskolin administration resulted in a change in bone mass for the 12-week trial compared with the placebo group (p 0.05). There was a trend toward a significant increase for lean body mass in the forskolin group compared with the placebo group (p = 0.097). Serum free testosterone levels were significantly increased in the forskolin group compared with the placebo group (p 0.05). The actual change in serum total testosterone concentration was not significantly different among groups, but it increased 16.77 ± 33.77% in the forskolin group compared with a decrease of 1.08 ± 18.35% in the placebo group.
Discussion: Oral ingestion of forskolin (250 mg of 10% forskolin extract twice a day) for a 12-week period was shown to favorably alter body composition while concurrently increasing bone mass and serum free testosterone levels in overweight and obese men. The results indicate that forskolin is a possible therapeutic agent for the management and treatment of obesity.

Study #2.
http://www.sportsnutritionsociety.org/site/pdf/Henderson et al JISSN 2-2-54-62-05.pdf
Conclusion: Results suggest that CF (Coleus forskohlii) does not appear to promote
weight loss but may help mitigate weight gain in overweight females with apparently no clinically significant
side effects. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 2(2):54-62, 2005

My notes:
I put 2 studies because both warned that more trials would be needed to reach a better conclusion. Also both studies used obese individuals.

5. Carnitrex 100 mg
http://www3.baylor.edu/HHPR/faculty/Kreider/Courses/PEPNutrition.pdf
pg 27.
L-Carnitine. Carnitine serves as an important transporter of fatty acids from the cytosol into the mitochondria of the cell. Theoretically, increasing cellular levels of carnitine would thereby enhance transport of fats into the mitochondria and fat metabolism. For this reason, L-carnitine has been one of the most common nutrients found in various weight loss supplements. Over the years, a number of studies have been conducted on the effects of L-carnitine supplementation on fat metabolism, exercise capacity and body composition. Although there is some data showing that L-carnitine supplementation
may be beneficial for some patient populations, most well controlled studies indicate that L-carnitine supplementation does not affect muscle carnitine content, fat metabolism, and/or weight loss in overweight or trained subjects [289]. For example, Villani et al [290] reported that L-carnitine supplementation (2 g/d for 8-weeks) did not affect weight loss, body composition, or markers of fat metabolism in overweight women.

My notes: I understand that Lipo 6 has “patented Carnitrex” and it includes L-Tartrate, and that doesn’t exactly equal straight L-carnitine. In regards to fat loss, I couldn’t find anything that was synergistic with L-Carnitine either.

6. Bioperine: I didn’t find too much published material on Bioperine, what I did find didn’t prove too much.

C

cromwell

Awards
All I've seen about Bioprine is that it supposedly helps with the uptake of whatever substance its ingested with-I belive its actually a pepper extract? I have seen one older study, will look for it-but I recall it did increase absorption rates of the test material (don't recall what) in healthy adults. Ithink Impact nutrition was one of the first to use it-maybe they have info?

J

JB22

Awards
I mainly did this for my own personal benefit to see if a new pill could beat the classic EC stack
The ECA stack is awesome, especially with the potential to use for 12 weeks continuously with increased efficiency of fat loss over time! Try ALCAR and Green Tea Extract with the ECA stack, should melt the fat away with a good diet

M

mildain

Awards
yeah JB22 is right, I've done ECA stacks before summer two years now and I've been able to cut pretty well while maintaining muscle with a good diet. The trick is to eat your carbs at the right times during the day and not take a too high caloric deficit in your diet.

J

jjse1f

Awards
I agree strongly with both of you on EC, but not on A.

I'm actually on ECY now, I just wanted to look at a current fat pill to see if it would be any better. Separately, the ingredients don't seem to do too much. If I really wanted to pursue this further I would buy a bottle and try them, but I rather research first, evaluate, then I might try.

I also don't think you need aspirin in your EC stack unless you start off obese.

Since I use yohombine Hcl in my ECY, and couldn't find any solid evidence to support it, I am rethinking whether to use it or not.

Any help on Y Hcl is greatly appreciated.

For me, a lot of this comes down to cost effectiveness, the 'shiny' bottles are $25+, EC is about $15.

J

JB22

Awards
The process of lipolysis is under feedback control which attenuates lipolysis at several levels. The chemicals involved in attenuating the effectiveness of ephedrine are phosphodiesterases, prostaglandins, and adenosine. These are the chemicals to minimize while using ephedrine as a fat loss agent. Aspirin is a prostaglandin inhibitor. It works by inhibiting cyclooxygenase activity. Because certain prostaglandins act to inhibit lipolysis and are produced in response to adrenergic stimulation, prostaglandin inhibitors have the potential to enhance ephedrine’s actions on fat loss. Even though there is a study that shows it was most effective with obese people i wouldnt disregard using it in the stack.

What is most interesting is the muscle sparring and the potential to stimulate fast twitch muscle fibres.

Yohimbine is a good addition. When I tried clenbuterol, the addition of yohimbine made me sweat buckets! I remember something about it blunts insulin sensitivity?

ECA was an useful aid in a total body transformation for me. At the age of 18 I was 230 pounds (bad diet, heroic beer drinker), I started using the ECA stack, when i reached 19 using ECA on and off I was roughly 168 pounds rabbit food addict (clean restricted calories anyway) and drank around 6 litres of water a day. At 20 I was 161 pounds, decided that I was too small and needed to start packing on lean muscle. Well weight training and ECA was awesome! Some of my best workouts from the intensity and focus came from this. I felt more flexible, strong, constant energy and felt fantastic.

I must caution tho - you will need to supplement with Licorice root to stop your adrenal glands being depleated and over worked!