Effective Supplements:

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.98%

Effective Supplements:

list em right here with studies backin it up.

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.46%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Calcium... a staple supplement, make sure to buy it with vitamin D added (most brands are like this now I believe), as it's been shown that low serum D levels inhibits calcium absorption (1). Also, as large amounts are lost daily and per training session (247mg!, (2)) it's clear that this is one of the times "over and above" supping might be ideal (as with vitamin C, B-12, etc)... additionally, calcium is associated with increases in lean body mass (2). Undoubtedly, the most important and recognized benefits of calcium are associated with bone mineral content (2), which directly relates to heavy training athletes and the prevention of stress fractures, which can quickly sideline prolonged training efforts (3). It is also important to note that, in times of extreme training, stress, or weight loss (cutting, anyone?), calcium intake obviously becomes that much more important, as bone density can potentially decrease much more rapidly during these times (4).
    ---------------------------------------------

1: J Am Coll Nutr 2003 Apr;22(2):142-6

Calcium Absorption Varies within the Reference Range for Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D.

Heaney RP, Dowell MS, Hale CA, Bendich A.

Creighton University, Omaha, Nebraska (R.P.H., M.S.D.).

BACKGROUND: Calcium absorption is generally considered to be impaired under conditions of vitamin D deficiency, but the vitamin D status that fully normalizes absorption is not known for humans. OBJECTIVE: To quantify calcium absorption at two levels of vitamin D repletion, using pharmacokinetic methods and commercially marketed calcium supplements. DESIGN: Two experiments performed in the spring of the year, one year apart. In the first, in which participants were pretreated with 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25OHD), mean serum 25OHD concentration was 86.5 nmol/L; and in the other, with no pretreatment, mean serum concentration was 50.2 nmol/L. Participants received 500 mg oral calcium loads as a part of a standard low calcium breakfast. A low calcium lunch was provided at mid-day. Blood was obtained fasting and at frequent intervals for 10 to 12 hours thereafter. METHODS: Relative calcium absorption at the two 25OHD concentrations was estimated from the area under the curve (AUC) for the load-induced increment in serum total calcium. RESULTS: AUC(9) (+/- SEM), was 3.63 mg hr/dL +/- 0.234 in participants pretreated with 25OHD and 2.20 +/- 0.240 in those not pretreated (P < 0.001). In brief, absorption was 65% higher at serum 25OHD levels averaging 86.5 nmol/L than at levels averaging 50 nmol/L (both values within the nominal reference range for this analyte). CONCLUSIONS: Despite the fact that the mean serum 25OHD level in the experiment without supplementation was within the current reference ranges, calcium absorptive performance at 50 nmol/L was significantly reduced relative to that at a mean 25OHD level of 86 nmol/L. Thus, individuals with serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels at the low end of the current reference ranges may not be getting the full benefit from their calcium intake. We conclude that the lower end of the current reference range is set too low.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

2: JAMA 1996 Jul 17;276(3):226-30

Changes in bone mineral content in male athletes. Mechanisms of action and intervention effects.

Klesges RC, Ward KD, Shelton ML, Applegate WB, Cantler ED, Palmieri GM, Harmon K, Davis J.

Department of psychology, University of Memphis, TN 38152, USA. bklesges@msuvx1.memphis.edu

OBJECTIVES: To determine changes in bone mineral content (BMC) in male athletes, to examine the mechanisms of changes, and to evaluate the effects of intervention. DESIGN: Dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) tests were administered over a 2-year period, and calcium loss during training was determined by analysis of sweat and urine. Calcium supplementation was administered during year 2. SETTING--A midsouth university. PARTICIPANTS: Eleven members of a college Division I-A basketball team. INTERVENTION: Based on observed calcium loss, athletes received differential levels of calcium supplementation. Intervention commenced the week prior to the fall training season and continued through postseason play. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE--Changes in BMC. RESULTS: Total body BMC decreased 3.8% from preseason to midseason of year 1 (mean decrease, 133.4 g, P = .02), increased nonsignificantly by 1.1% (mean increase, 35.3 g, P = .22) during the offseason, but decreased an additional 3.3% during summer months when practices resumed (mean decrease, 113.1 g, P = .01). Dermal calcium loss averaged 247 mg [corrected] per training session. From preseason to late summer, there was an overall decrease of 6.1% in total BMC and a 10.5% decrease in BMC of the legs. Calcium supplementation was associated with significant increases in BMC and lean body mass. CONCLUSIONS: Bone loss is calcium related and exercise is positively related to BMC provided that calcium intake is sufficient to offset dermal loss.

3: J Sci Med Sport 2000 Sep;3(3):268-79

Stress fractures and bone health in track and field athletes.

Nattiv A.

Department of Family Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles School of Medicine, USA.

The effect of exercise on bone health has received much attention in recent years. The problems of the female athlete triad: disordered eating, amenorrhea and osteoporosis have helped us to better understand and appreciate the important interaction of mechanical, hormonal, nutritional as well as genetic factors on bone health in the young female athlete. The relatively high stress fracture incidence of young track and field athletes can be quite disabling for the athlete's present and future running career. A number of risk factors including low bone mineral density (BMD), menstrual irregularities, dietary factors and prior history of stress fractures have been associated with an increased risk for stress fractures in the female athlete. Few studies have found risk factors for stress fractures in the male athlete. Female gender has been found to be a risk factor for stress fractures in the military population, but this finding is less apparent in athlete studies. Caucasians have been found to have a higher risk for stress fractures than African-American military recruits, but there is very limited data assessing stress fracture risk in athletes of varying ethnicity. Prevention of stress injury to bone involves maximizing peak bone mass in the pediatric and young adult age groups. Maintaining adequate calcium nutrition, caloric intake as well as hormonal and energy balance are important preventive measures, as are ensuring appropriate amounts of weight bearing exercise for optimizing bone health and preventing fractures. More research is needed to determine factors leading to improvements in bone density and fracture reduction in athletes at risk.

4: Br J Sports Med 1996 Sep;30(3):205-8

Effect of altered reproductive function and lowered testosterone levels on bone density in male endurance athletes.

Bennell KL, Brukner PD, Malcolm SA.

School of Physiotherapy, University of Melbourne, Australia.

It is apparent that bone density in male athletes can be reduced without a concomitant decrease in testosterone, suggesting that bone density and testosterone concentrations in the normal range are not closely related in male athletes. Further research is necessary to monitor concurrent changes in bone density and testosterone over a period of time in exercising males. In any case, the effect of exercise on the male reproductive system does not appear as extreme as that which can occur in female athletes, and any impact on bone density is not nearly as evident. These results imply that factors apart from testosterone concentrations must be responsible for the observed osteopenia in some male athletes. Many factors have the potential to adversely affect bone density, independently of alterations in reproductive function. These include low calcium intake, energy deficit, weight loss, psychological stress, and low body fat, all of which may be associated with intense endurance training. Future research investigating skeletal health in male athletes should include a thorough assessment of reproductive function in addition to these other factors.
  3. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.47%

uhhh..no offense dude, but do you really expect us to do all the research for you?
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.46%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I don't know, I think it is a good counterpart to all the bashing of **** that will go on in the scam/worthless thread... if some good **** gets put in here on the basics, hopefully we can just sticky it and refer people to it and whatnot.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.98%

haha no man it's not for me. just read what biggin said. That was my idea. don;t worry i got plenty of contributions to make to this thread
  6. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.47%

oh..good to go then...I thought you wanted all the research for yourself ....

sorry if I sounded all mean and ****...Its just that sometimes people start threads "what supps are good?"...and you know, that kind of **** just chaps my nutsack...

so okay, cool....its all good
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.98%

I know exactly what you mean....I'm not like that if you notice i rarely ask questions because between this board and animals board i just do a search or read through and i got the answers.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.89%

Originally posted by Lifeguard
    oh..good to go then...I thought you wanted all the research for yourself ....

sorry if I sounded all mean and ****...Its just that sometimes people start threads &quot;what supps are good?&quot;...and you know, that kind of **** just chaps my nutsack...

so okay, cool....its all good
    bro, Bagbalm will work for that nutsack!

al
  9. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

bro, Bagbalm will work for that nutsack!
    And where is the study to back that up?

BigV
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.92%

ephedrine

http://www.anabolicminds.com/forum/s...&threadid=3814 here is my research and stuff...enjoy.

J

Similar Forum Threads

1. Least effective supplements
    By FL3X MAGNUM in forum Supplements
    Replies: 257
    Last Post: 03-23-2014, 12:59 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-18-2012, 07:52 PM
  3. Most Effective Supplement?
    By Jon Devine in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-17-2009, 10:39 AM