Ineffective/Scam Supplements Thread

1. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Ineffective/Scam Supplements Thread

If you think it's either ineffective at not worth the money or a total scam. Post it in here and prove your position against it!

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.81%

Nah, go ahead and keep your thread up but its a good excercise to try to prove why something does not work.
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.12%

Chromium supplementation... no need to go buy bottles of Cr thinking it will help you lose weight, etc.... doesn't make a difference.

Chromium, effects on body comp, insulin sensitivity etc.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.12%

Bovine colostrum... potential benefits, but minor and at extremely high cost... seems to be in vogue to add colostrum to your product and rave in your ads about its amazing, special properties... well, it's too ****ing expensive to truly supp with it at any level where it would be noticably effective IMO... the best results appeared to come at something like 40-60g/day, and even then weren't particularly amazing.

Bovine Colostrum
    Last edited by Biggs; 04-06-2003 at 03:30 PM.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.44%
    Achievements Activity Pro

Glutamine companies throw out false label claims as the the benefits/effects of glutamine. Glutamine, an important amino acid yes, but to supplement with it on the side is not only a waste of money, but could be determental to progress.

Glutamine Sucks
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.37%

I propose that oral HGH be on the list. I don't have any scientific references to back this up, but I have never read any positive comments on oral HGH and newbies often are taken in by the advertising hype. I'd be happy to research if the board needs some evidence.
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.02%

Many companies in the past, and still today put vanadyl sulfate (usually 10mg doses) in their products claiming they boost insulin spikes and help pack on mass. This is quite different then what lab reports show; no acute or short term effects using vanadyl sulfate for raising insulin levels.

Vanadyl Sulfate
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.88%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

20-Hydroxyecdysterone, don't have scientific data but 3 months of use didn't do jack **** for me, my diet and training was solid
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.55%

Theres a cure to low ammonts of colostrum.

Its called a cattle feed depo...they sell it dirt cheap in bulk...

10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.33%

syntrabol- i used to get these temporary (2-3 hours) allergic rashes on my hands and i couldn't figure out what i was allergic to b/c it happened at different times of day, in diff environments; when i stopped the syntrabol, no more rashes (maybe it's just my body for some reason)..

guggulbolic- i know a lot of people believe in this stuff but it didn't do **** for me...

TAG-trans alanyl glutamine by metabolic, didn't do ****...
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.33%

since this thread has been mentioned lately, I thought I'd add EcdyVone by Prolab, at least it gave me a placebo to get into the gym!

everyone here seems to be much more knowledgeable than I was and probably didn't fall for all that B-ecdy hype like I did...
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.85%

NO2 and NOX2 are SUXXORS
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.4%

Natural Sterol Complex, at the recommended dose didnt do ****
  14. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.81%

OK, good submissions, now go out and get studies to back up your claims of worthlessness!
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.2%

at the risk of being flamed i'm going to defend ecdysterone, but not any version put out by a company.

here's the dilly in my view: first of all you need to take more than a gram. this is way too expensive using any company's supps, so if you really want to give it an honest shot, kilosports has i think 97.5% at $100 for 50g. is it a little pricey, yes. but saying it doesn't work is like taking in 100g of protein a day and concluding that it doesn't help build muscle (you need more). as for quasar's reaction, i'll bet it was the filler, not the ecdysterone.

how about we say that what really sucks is companies that underdose supps that do work to some degree (most supps are pretty subjective other than protein and prohormones as long as diet is optimal)

now, how is ecdy supposed to work. from what i've seen, it increases glycogen storage in muscle (quite a bit, and you lose it when you go off, think of it as a cell volumizer) and also increases ribosomes which are protein synthesis machinery.

i don't think it is very cost effective, but then again it isn't totally a scam.
  16. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.12%

well pete, I believe LG actually tends to endorse (at least defend) large, large doses of ecdy as being effective as well... expensive obviously but if I remember correctly he did derive some perceptable benefit in terms of much decreased soreness, quicker recovery, things of that nature... perhaps he could come in and explain his view again, I don't recall the specifics

EDIT- found that ****! it was buried pretty deep. might be of interest: LG's Ecdy Experience
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.45%

Originally posted by Biggin
    Chromium supplementation... no need to go buy bottles of Cr thinking it will help you lose weight, etc.... doesn't make a difference.

Chromium

Although Chromium may not be an ideal supplement for weight loss, it is VERY important for insulin. Here's a little article to help back up that statement. BTW, I use Chromium religiously, in case you are wondering ... and in case you're not, doesn't matter to me.

Anyway ... here are the articles on Chromium and Insulin.

http://www.melrosebaptist.org/fit4b.html

Enjoy!
  18. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.12%

I agree in that taking a multi is absolutely essential for athletes to cover their bases, yet further, higher doses of chromium supping are worthless, that was basically my point. I've seen a few that attempt to support high doses of Cr supping, via testing in animals, stating its positive effects on insulin... and I've also seen some like the one below, done on healthy vs. at risk humans... if Cr levels fall far below normal, supplementation does appear to benefit optimum insulin efficiency... but I'm still not rushing out to buy a bottle of Cr.
    -----------------------

EDIT- for the sake of keeping this thread relatively clean, I've reorganized the chromium thread (linked above), and posted some new studies re: insulin sensitivity.
  19. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.45%

boioioing... similar to the above, though also involves resistance training in elderly
    Elderly? Are you pickin' on me? j/k

Seriously, great posts, Biggin. And, very informative.

As one who watches their insulin (yep, got a glucose meter and such) I appreciate any and all info on insulin. I still think the chromium is essential, but, as they say, it's just my opinion. And ... as they also say, opinions are like buttholes ... EVERYBODY has one.

Thanks for taking the time to post your information. It has not gone unappreciated, nor has it been dismissed. Information is the key, and I truly appreciate you sharing yours with me.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.83%

Originally posted by Dr of Golf
    And ... as they also say, opinions are like buttholes ... EVERYBODY has one.
    LMAO!!

Sorry, I just love that line

Biggin, you should put those all together and clean up the chromium thread and make it an article to submit.
  21. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.12%

DrofGolf, I'd never call you old my friend, just tryin to give y'all some studies... it ain't my info either... sharing MY info would take all of 20 seconds , but yeh I'll give it a shot weave-chop... heh, "How Chromium Won't Help You"...
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.83%

Yeah no one would say that about you Doc, we prefer "over the hill" or "closer to heaven"

"Old" just sounds so rude

23. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.45%

DrofGolf, I'd never call you old my friend, just tryin to give y'all some studies... it ain't my info either... sharing MY info would take all of 20 seconds , but yeh I'll give it a shot weave-chop... heh, "How Chromium Won't Help You"...

That sounds like a good idea for an article, Biggin. Definitely, go for it!!!!

And then ....... Shut up and eat.

Sorry, been really relaxing tonight. LOTS of Corona and Foster's. I'll be paying for it tomorrow.
  24. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.45%

Originally posted by jweave23
    Yeah no one would say that about you Doc, we prefer "over the hill" or "closer to heaven"

"Old" just sounds so rude

You know ..... I just love you guys .... in a buddy kinda way.

Luckily, my wife doesn't think I'm old either. And ... she's 17 years younger than me. Mmmmmmm, I guess money does talk. LOLOLOLOL
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.83%

Originally posted by Dr of Golf

You know ..... I just love you guys .... in a buddy kinda way.

Luckily, my wife doesn't think I'm old either. And ... she's 17 years younger than me. Mmmmmmm, I guess money does talk. LOLOLOLOL
    OHH, you dog!!

I'll just assume then the wife has no idea how to get to this site
  26. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.45%

Originally posted by jweave23

I'll just assume then the wife has no idea how to get to this site

You bet your butt she has no idea about all of you YOUNG, hard-bodied Bucks.

I ain't crazy .... showing her where all of the studs hang out.
  27. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.12%

17 yrs younger eh?... I must tip my hat to you, not bad sir, not bad at all!!!
  28. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.54%

Methoxy-7 from Biotest (new formula)- Bought 3 bottles of it from GNC (all different locations). Tried the first bottle for the 2 weeks and it did nothing. Tried the next two bottles 2 weeks later at double the dosage and it did nothing. Took them all back for full refund.

Anything in the Animal line from Universal is ****. It is all underdosed stacks with useless ingredients.
  29. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.21%

I also went through 3 bottles of Methoxy 7, and felt nothing at all. Didn't ask for a refund, as I have a couple of friends, very strong guys who swear they got noticeably stronger on this stuff. Same with Tribex 500. I went through 3 bottles, yet lots of people swear it works, and the old worn-out "placebo effect" argument just doesn't hold water, as I never hold out great hopes for things to work, and I'm always pleasantly surprised when they do. A lot of experienced lifters have gone through many supps with NO results. When a serious Bodybuilder claims results, he well knows the difference between placebo and the real mccoy!

We are all different and our individual reactions to supplements varies greatly. I have tried nearly every brand of creatine except V-12, and got no results at all. I have combined it with dextrose, grape juice, apple cider and water....nothing! I even went through 2 cans of Sci-Tec Trans-X, similar to Cell-Tech, but with a better rep, and guess what. I gained 5 lbs of FAT! Why didn't "placebo" come into play here? I was expecting dramatic results on this one!

My ex-wife took chromium for a couple of years as an appetite suppressant to curb her craving for sweets, and in her case, it worked like a charm.

So I have trouble listing a supplement as a scam or totally innefective if it works for some and not others.
  30. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

But if the majority of people who do use Chromium see no results, then its still ineffective for the majority. Maybe not a scam, but still ineffective. Old man...
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  31. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.21%

Originally posted by Bobo
    But if the majority of people who do use Chromium see no results, then its still ineffective for the majority. Maybe not a scam, but still ineffective. Old man...
    Hey, you just turned 30! Why haven't you jumped in the meat grinder like Colibri told you to?
  32. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.12%

Originally posted by John Benz
    I have tried nearly every brand of creatine except V-12, and got no results at all. I have combined it with dextrose, grape juice, apple cider and water....nothing!
    good, it's not just me! have you thought about, or are you planning on going with V12 anytime soon?

also, was your ex into nutrition and fitness, or did she watch her diet at all? I ask this only because there IS a good body of evidence supporting Cr's use in obese (not calling her fat or anything), or those already suffering from insensitivity (which I would assume, since the "average" person is far less cautious about watching processed carb intake and mineral deficiencies , is why results ARE seen in this area as opposed to healthy/resistance trained/athletic/nutritious minded individuals).. I just didn't post those, as I tried to stick with what was more pertinent (there are also ****loads of studies showing the same results on rats, cats, mice, calves, etc, I just didn't post those for the same reason)
  33. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Hey, you just turned 30! Why haven't you jumped in the meat grinder like Colibri told you to?
    I am. Its called finals in 3 weeks
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  34. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.45%

I have tried nearly every brand of creatine except V-12, and got no results at all. I have combined it with dextrose, grape juice, apple cider and water....nothing!

I've had the same problem with creatine. There was a study somewhere in MEDSCAPE that basically said that the use of creatine becomes less effective on people as they age. Supposedly, the older you get, the less effective creatine will be.

I'll try to find that article again. When I do, I'll post it or the link to it.

Similar Forum Threads

1. change supplement thread title
    By james1 in forum Forum Suggestions and News
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-10-2009, 10:24 AM
  2. Waste of $$/Scam Supplements
    By YellowJacket in forum Supplements
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 07-23-2007, 10:23 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-04-2005, 09:36 PM
  4. Speaking of scam supplements....