Supplements for headaches

jhferry

Awards
I get these headaches that start with a spasm/inflammation at the base of my skull, top of my neck. Im not sure If they are migraines but they are triggered by tension, weather changes, any trap work etc. I carry my little one alot these days which puts alot of stress on my traps, I sit at a desk all day and have been under a ton of stress. I just started taking MSM, Glucosamine and fish oils. I was thinking of adding Cissus. Is there anyone else who gets these headaches? What else could I add?

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
I get these headaches that start with a spasm/inflammation at the base of my skull, top of my neck. Im not sure If they are migraines but they are triggered by tension, weather changes, any trap work etc. I carry my little one alot these days which puts alot of stress on my traps, I sit at a desk all day and have been under a ton of stress. I just started taking MSM, Glucosamine and fish oils. I was thinking of adding Cissus. Is there anyone else who gets these headaches? What else could I add?
I'm not being a jerk here but have you tried aspirin? I get similar headaches and have found that a couple aspirin does the trick (besides alleviating pain, aspirin thins the blood which can help with bloodpressure issues). Anecdotal but my "tension" type headaches seem to be related to temporary bloodpressure increases.

jhferry

Awards
I rotate excedrin and advil. I guess im looking to be more pro active.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Tylenol is what is reccomended by the Docs. Aspirin is hard on the liver....just a though. I myself stick to tylenol.

jhferry

Awards
I hear you but tylenol doesnt break those knots in my neck. I would need like 4 of them.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
For supplements try feverfew and ginkgo biloba.

I thought Tylenol/acetaminophen was really horrible for the liver? Never knew it was safer than aspirin! I will have to ask some docs I know...

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Tylenol is what is reccomended by the Docs. Aspirin is hard on the liver....just a though. I myself stick to tylenol.

I thought ibuprofen was hard on the liver and asprin wasn't. Or is one just harder?

Sparetire

Awards
ibuprofen is harder on the stomach , tylenol is more potent than asprin and its more toxic taken at higher dosages.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Aspirine is harsh on the stomach and Tylenol on the liver.

glsa17

Awards
  • Established
Could it be tension headaches? Maybe try a over the counter tension headache medicine. Also through out the day sit up straight and pull your shoulder blades back and together. The muscles in the the upperback, traps and neck are in a stretched position most of the day. Like when we are typing at the computer, writing , driving, carrying our little ones, etc.. I have had problems with migraines and tension headaches in the past, requiring hospital stays. Also cut your caffeine. Cutting it will most likely cause caffeine withdrawl (headaches, irratibility) for a few days if you drink alot of caffeine but you will get better. And you will have a easier time managing your headaches. Good luck!

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I love me some Goody's powder. I get constant headaches and by constant I mean 3+ times per week. I take a pack of Goody's powder and I'm good 10 to 15 minutes later.

jhferry

Awards
Goody's is just a lower dose excedrin I think, Im trying to prevent these things. If I could prevent the swelling in my neck I think I could lick these headaches. Im just not sure of the triggers besides weather and stress.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
stay away from tylenol, its rat poison.

i have heard of somethign for migraines, but i lost the link since i dont suffer from it. my headaches are very occasional and a single aspirin takes care of them.

johngalt

Awards
I used to get these when I was doing heavy weighted dips. Two things greatly help:
1. Whenever you're doing any exercise, try to keep your head in a neutral position. Look straight ahead or down at the floor. While most people advise looking up for squats and deadlifts, it creates a lot of strain. If you are confident enough with your technique, it is possible to look straight ahead or down at the floor without losing your form. This helps a lot.
2. A chiropractor or a good masseuse. Both of these will help alleviate the tension that you're feeling.
Combine the two and it should go away.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Tylenol is more harsh on the liver where aspirin is worse on the stomach.

A doctor in the town that I live in has had good luck using Vitamin B2 with migraine patients.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Tylenol = liver, especially in combination with alcohol

Aspirin = stomach lining

Ibuprofen = kidneys and long term used implicated in deterioration of joints.

Cissus use is OK for headaches. I've had some succes with celery seed extract. Magnesium is pretty nice for relaxing muscles as is Theanine and kava kava.

Get some deep tissue work done..it will get to the source of the problem better than supps or pills.

jhferry

Awards
Tylenol is more harsh on the liver where aspirin is worse on the stomach.

A doctor in the town that I live in has had good luck using Vitamin B2 with migraine patients.
I found a decent amount of links based on that. I do believe after a nice argument with my wife that stress is a major factor here. I may try B2, cissus (for other issues as well) and magnesium.

I had a great massage guy near me who charges per half hour. Maybe I should see him once a week or so.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I spoke to my brother who's about 55 days away from getting his M.D. and he said Tylenol is indeed very hard on the liver, and ibuprofen isn't exactly gentle on the liver but is much less hepatoxic. He said he's not sure about aspirin but doesn't think it's bad at all (in normal doses). I only asked him about the liver, didn't ask about kidneys.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Aspirin is more effective specifically for headaches than Ibuprofen, Acetaminophen or Naproxen. Goody's and BC are good choices because the powder is less stomach irritating than pills and the caffeine in them is a vasoconstrictor which helps.

My occasional headache combo is one of the powder combos with Piracetam and a gram and a half of Phenibut on an empty stomach, works well for me.

methyl-D

methyl-D

Awards
If your headaches are chronic, like mine, I have only found one thing that knocks them out cold....like within 5 mins....Imitrex Injections. Expensive (my insurance pays all but 20 though), but well worth discussing with a doc if any of you guys are consistantly getting headaches multiple times/week. I just mentioned in my log that since I have started my cycle however, i havent had one headache....and its been over a month. This is by far a record for me as headaches are usually a constant issue. Interesting though huh??? I know this is a little off topic since you guys are talking about OTC meds and supps, but I just thought id put this info up. I have had headaches all my life and imitrex is the only thing thats a sure-fire way to get rid of them fast