A better way to take R-ALA?

Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog

Obese Member
Awards
  • Established
I noticed Geronova (the patent holders of k-rala) are now selling an r-ala product dissolved in a medium chain triglyceride oil. The theory being that MCT’s increase both the bioavailibity of r-ala significantly (by bypassing the GI system) and sustain blood plasma levels.

http://www.geronova.com/RALA-Gel.htm

Geronova is charging over twice the amount per gram for their r-ala gel as compared to their original k-rala product. Granted, it does contain an equal amount of both r-ala and dihydrolipoic acid (a reduced form of r-ala which has some interesting properties itself), but they are touting the benefits of the r-ala/mct combo as being greater than that of its potassium brother alone.

I was going to order some and give it a try, but the cost is high. However, bulk r-ala is somewhat inexpensive (especially compared to k-rala). Also, 100% mct oils are readily available (http://www.nutraplanet.com/product_info.php?products_id=593). So, why not homebrew? My guess is that r-ala should be soluble at about 100 mg/ml in mct oil. Buy an oral syringe and your off. The r-ala then can’t oxidize with oxygen as its in solution, it can’t plolymerize in the gut and it should be far more bioavailable. Also, during the capping process, there is a signicifant amount of time during which the r-ala is exposed to ambient conditions. This should be largely eliminated by immediately putting the r-ala into solution after unsealing the contents. Now we just need to get custom to cary bulk r-ala so that we can buy from a board sponsor and be relatively certain the r-ala that’s being provided is of descent quality.

Phosphate bond

Awards
I've used the R-ALA gel from geronova and I can honestly say that K-R-ALA just makes more sense to me. Plus I mix the K-R-ALA powder in with protein.

P.S. Nutraplanet does sell genuine Gerovonova bulk powder right?

Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog

Obese Member
Awards
  • Established
I've used the R-ALA gel from geronova and I can honestly say that K-R-ALA just makes more sense to me. Plus I mix the K-R-ALA powder in with protein.

P.S. Nutraplanet does sell genuine Gerovonova bulk powder right?

If you are speaking from a convenience standpoint, I entirely agree. K-rala is very convenient being that it is non-reactive and can be mixed with about anything. However, from a cost per serving and efficacy standpoint, the gel may still come out on top. From a marketing perspective, I have a hard time believing Geronova would be touting this when anyone can easily get MCT's and r-ala and yet they have a lock on the k-rala market (yea both Nutraplanet and DS get their k-rala from Geronova).

K-rala goes for about $2/gram. R-ala can easily be found for about $1/gram. For comparison purposes, Gernova’s r-ala gel goes for $0.58 per 100 gram serving. Using the mct oil linked above from Nutraplanet’s site (and assuming $1/gram for r-ala), that is $0.12 per 100 gram serving (about 1/5th the cost).

You could also use Sesalean by Avant which has a very high content of mct oil. Biotin and quercetin powders would also be a useful addition (both available in bulk powders).

italionstallion

Awards
  • Established
The problem I see is that R-ala will degrade with heat, so buying the bulk powder could render a lot of it useless. OTOH the gel caps or what ever gerenova is selling (rala with MCT oil) is probably protecting the r-ala similarly to what the potassium does in the k-r-ala.

Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog

Obese Member
Awards
  • Established
The problem I see is that R-ala will degrade with heat, so buying the bulk powder could render a lot of it useless. OTOH the gel caps or what ever gerenova is selling (rala with MCT oil) is probably protecting the r-ala similarly to what the potassium does in the k-r-ala.
Yes, it will. Something I have witnessed first hand. Transit is the problem. Gerenova manfacterers their own r-ala. If it is stored and transported in a cool environment, it should be fine. It you order a lot that was manufatured recently and shipped during this time of the year, my guess is that is probably wont polymerize. Fortunately, gerenova happens to be located in my home town, so getting bulk r-ala is not a problem.