old school preworkout supps??

superset2

thats my gf...2/14/06..enjoy
Awards
My uncle used to be a pretty serious bodybuilder back in his day (never made it pro though). He's 49 years old and told me back like 20-25 years ago in his prime his favorite preworkout supps to use was mega-dosing niacin and a quick sniff of smelling salts. he said it would get him so amped before big lift days.

does anybody still use that as a preWO supp, cause i got some no flush niacin sitting around and I wanted to know how much (if any) would be a good amount to use????

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Dave Draper used to drink a cup of coffee, can of tuna and a flavorless protein shake before training with Arnold in the morning. What a winning combo.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I haven't seen that emoticon. That's hilarious.

rhunt000

rhunt000

I luv my tee, thanks NP
Awards
My uncle used to be a pretty serious bodybuilder back in his day (never made it pro though). He's 49 years old and told me back like 20-25 years ago in his prime his favorite preworkout supps to use was mega-dosing niacin and a quick sniff of smelling salts. he said it would get him so amped before big lift days.

does anybody still use that as a preWO supp, cause i got some no flush niacin sitting around and I wanted to know how much (if any) would be a good amount to use????
I used to take niacin preWO. I would get so damn itchy that I couldn't stand it.

superset2

thats my gf...2/14/06..enjoy
Awards
@ what dose and did it give u a nice boost?

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
Dave Draper used to drink a cup of coffee, can of tuna and a flavorless protein shake before training with Arnold in the morning. What a winning combo.
...and throw in like 20-30 dessicrted liver tabs and maybe 8 raw eggs. That combo should make leg day a breeze...unless, of course, you puke so much you can't stand up!

Wow! Props to the old school. We're a bunch of pussies nowadays with freaking Speed Stacks, fruity pre-workout whey isolate concoctions and shiny air conditioned "fitness centers". Can't hardly find an old style gym anymore.

oh well,

...most people don't wanna drive real iron anyway. And I sure as hell don't wanna eat that crap before I try to lift!!!!! ;)

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
@ what dose and did it give u a nice boost?
> 500mgs. will give one a nice bloodflow boost, but it's accompanied by a histamine release that feels like a mild sunburn on large parts of your skin. It's not pleasant, but this effect like will go away after you use it a few times.

With all the other stimulant and nutritional choices now avaliable, I say pass on this one.

sweet-physique

sweet-physique

Awards
  • Established
Here' is what niacin does and doesn't do for you.

Vitamin B3 - niacin, niacinamide, nicotinic acid - information page

Niacin also called nicotinic acid, niacinamide or nicotinic acid and referred to as vitamin B 3, which can be manufactured by the body. Niacin is derived from two compounds - nicotinic acid and niacinamide.

Vitamin B3 - niacin - is required for

Vitamin B3 is required for cell respiration, helps in the release of energy and metabolism of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins, proper circulation and healthy skin, functioning of the nervous system, and normal secretion of bile and stomach fluids. It is used in the synthesis of sex hormones, treating schizophrenia and other mental illnesses, and a memory-enhancer.
Nicotinic acid (but not nicotinamide) given in drug dosage improves the blood cholesterol profile, and has been used to clear the body of organic poisons, such as certain insecticides. People report more mental alertness when this vitamin is in sufficient supply.
Deficiency of vitamin B3

A deficiency may cause pellagra, the classic niacin deficiency disease, and is characterized by bilateral dermatitis, diarrhea, and dementia.
A shortage of niacin may be indicated with symptoms such as canker sores, depression, diarrhea, dizziness, fatigue, halitosis, headaches, indigestion, insomnia, limb pains, loss of appetite, low blood sugar, muscular weakness, skin eruptions, and inflammation.
Dosage

The dosage underneath is the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA), but be aware that this dosage is the minimum that you require per day, to ward off serious deficiency of this particular nutrient. In the therapeutic use of this nutrient, the dosage is usually increased considerably, but the toxicity level must be kept in mind.
Male 18 mg per day and female 13 mg per day although 100 mg is mostly used in supplementation.
Large doses given to lower cholesterol may produce hyperuricemia, and hepatic abnormalities. These effects are reversed if the drug is reduced in amount or discontinued.
Toxicity and symptoms of high intake

Nicotinic acid, but not nicotinamide in doses larger than 200 mg causes flushing by dilating the blood vessels, which can also cause the blood pressure to drop.
These flushes are normally harmless. Large dosages can also cause itching, elevated blood glucose, peptic ulcers and liver damage
Best used with

Niacin is best taken with the B group vitamins and vitamin c.
When more may be required

Consuming alcohol and not having enough protein in your diet may increase your need for niacin.
People with diabetes, glaucoma, any liver disease or peptic ulcers should be careful of niacin supplementation.
Enemy of vitamin B3

Niacin is lost readily when food is cooked in water.
Other interesting points

Nicotinamide is under investigation for helping to prevent and control diabetes.
Food sources of vitamin B3

Liver, lean meat, poultry, fish, rabbit, nuts, peanut yeast, meats including liver, cereals, legumes, asparagus, seeds, milk, green leafy vegetables, and fish.
Your daily cup of coffee also provides about 3 milligrams of niacin.