Blood pressure supp recs/NOW hawthorne extact review

Max32

Max32

Awards
  • Established
OK, I switched over from the NOW h. berries to this NOW extract, and to my knowledge, that is the only thing altered in my supp regimen. My BP has been hovering around 110/65 since, and that is while taking USP labs C2.

So for people with BP issues, I highly rec this little gem!

My combined recs for BP issues are:

-NOW hawthorne extract
-twinlab bp control
-3nB celery seed extract
-NOW curcumin extract
-garlic (standardized for alicin content)
-pot/mag supp (NOW also makes a good one of these)
-forskolin

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Good stuff.

Do you know what your BP was before switching to the extract?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
pot is a great supplement :woohoo: Potassium, that is.

I'm curious about Arjuna as a potential replacment for Hawethorne. It seems to exert a lot of the same effects with additonal benefit of dissolving arterial plaques.

I love the celery seed extract. The 85% variety that Nutrplanet carries is great...and cheap too. Kills my back pain really well.

Max32

Max32

Awards
  • Established
Good stuff.

Do you know what your BP was before switching to the extract?
man, my bp has been as high as 140/90, but I am convinced it is white coat syndrome at one particular doc's office. I check it regularly throughout the day on a wrist monitor, and before the switch, the avg wasabout 120/70-75 or so.

On a side note, how is this for scary. After my recent hernia op, they apparently gave me too much anesthesia as after standing me up so I could try to piss, my BL plummetted to 60/30!! They immediately sent in 3 nurses to pump me up with some **** and get it back up. Fucking morons!!

Marshall Law

Awards
Michael's Blood Pressure Factor

You can't beat the price.

Ingredients:

Vitamin D (as Calciferol) 50 IU
Vitamin B-6 (as Pyridoxine) 100 mg
Calcium (as Calcium Amino Acid Chelate) 60 mg
Magnesium (as Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate) 30 mg
Manganese (as Manganese Amino Acid Chelate) 15 mg
Potassium (as Potassium Amino Acid Complex) 210 mg
Apple Pectin...500mg *
Cayenne Fruit (Capsicum annuum)...500mg *
Garlic Clove (Powder Concentrate) (Allium staivum)...500mg *
Hawthorne Berry (Cratageus oxyacantha)...500mg *
Hops Flower (Humulus lupulus)...200mg *
Valerian Root (Valeriana officinalis)...200mg *
Taurine...100mg *
Celery Seed (Apium graveolens)...50mg *
*Daily value not established

Other Ingredients: Terra Alba (Calcium Sulfate), Maltodextrin, Magnesium Stearate and Stearic Acid.

Max32

Max32

Awards
  • Established
I prefer to get extracts and know exactly how much I am taking. Pre mixes are generally underdosed and overpriced for what you get out of them. I did forget to mention taurine though....I take in about 15 grams daily

Max32

Max32

Awards
  • Established
pot is a great supplement :woohoo: Potassium, that is.

I'm curious about Arjuna as a potential replacment for Hawethorne. It seems to exert a lot of the same effects with additonal benefit of dissolving arterial plaques.

I love the celery seed extract. The 85% variety that Nutrplanet carries is great...and cheap too. Kills my back pain really well.
got some more info on arjuna or product suggestions?

Marshall Law

Awards
I prefer to get extracts and know exactly how much I am taking. Pre mixes are generally underdosed and overpriced for what you get out of them. I did forget to mention taurine though....I take in about 15 grams daily
Hello Max,
I thought about the same things you've mentioned. But once I tried it, and it's probably cheaper than some of the supps you've mentioned. It works great, my only guess would be all the ingredients together rather than taking a product stand alone makes up the difference in the dosage. If you do a google search you'll find it a great price.

But what ever works for you, I've taken most of supps you've posted and they've worked for me fine as well.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
man, my bp has been as high as 140/90, but I am convinced it is white coat syndrome at one particular doc's office. I check it regularly throughout the day on a wrist monitor, and before the switch, the avg wasabout 120/70-75 or so.
Great info Max, thanks for the Tip on the NOW extract!! I have white coat syndrome as well - whenever Im in the Dr's office my BP is at *least* 10mm/HG higher than it is at home. Hypertension runs in my family - so Im always aware of where my BP is at.

BV

w00kie

Awards
Michael's Blood Pressure Factor

You can't beat the price.

Ingredients:

Vitamin D (as Calciferol) 50 IU
Vitamin B-6 (as Pyridoxine) 100 mg
Calcium (as Calcium Amino Acid Chelate) 60 mg
Magnesium (as Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate) 30 mg
Manganese (as Manganese Amino Acid Chelate) 15 mg
Potassium (as Potassium Amino Acid Complex) 210 mg
Apple Pectin...500mg *
Cayenne Fruit (Capsicum annuum)...500mg *
Garlic Clove (Powder Concentrate) (Allium staivum)...500mg *
Hawthorne Berry (Cratageus oxyacantha)...500mg *
Hops Flower (Humulus lupulus)...200mg *
Valerian Root (Valeriana officinalis)...200mg *
Taurine...100mg *
Celery Seed (Apium graveolens)...50mg *
*Daily value not established

Other Ingredients: Terra Alba (Calcium Sulfate), Maltodextrin, Magnesium Stearate and Stearic Acid.

I just found some of this stuff on my desk. Wonder if this would be safe to take while taking TwinLab's Blood Pressure control also.

w00kie

Awards
I just opened these things. Are they supposed to be all cracked and what not.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
From the BAC catalogue...

"ARJUNA, Terminalia arjuna, (TA) 0.5% arjunolic acid extract, considered a “new” sensation for the cardiovascular system that has been used in Ayurvedic Medicine in India for 2700 years yet is backed by modern peer-reviewed research on angina, placque, CHD, & normalizing cholesterol levels. Dose is 250-500mg 2x/day. Bitter taste. 100-200 doses, 50 grams, $6.50 "

American Botanical Council had these abstracts..

Comparision of Terminalia arjuna to Isosorbide Monoitrate in Stable Angina
Bharani A, Ganguli A, Mathur LK, Jamra Y, Raman PG.. Efficacy of Terminalia arjuna in chronic stable angina: A double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study comparing Terminalia arjuna with isosorbide mononitrate. Indian Heart Journal. 2002;54:170-175.

Terminalia arjuna bark extract has been used in India since 500 B.C.E. for the treatment of heart ailments, but has not been rigorously tested. This carefully designed study provides a comparison of the efficacy of Terminalia arjuna extract compared to the standard drug therapy (isosorbride mononitrate) in patients with stable angina.

The study design was randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind, and crossover. Included in the study were male patients 38-79 years old with chronic stable angina (NYHA class II-III) and exercise-induceable ischemia (oxygen starvation of the heart). Excluded were those with acute myocardial infarction, severe effort angina, unstable angina, heart failure, chronic hepatic or renal disease, neuropsychiatric illness, malignancy, drug addiction, AIDS, physical inability to exercise, or nitrate intolerance. Patients continued all prescribed drugs, except for beta-blockers and isosorbide mononitrate (ISMN). Isosorbide dinitrate (ISDN) was provided for use during episodes of angina. All participants had a thorough clinical evaluation including ECG, chest X-ray, and echocardiogram to determine baseline data.

Patients were given three bottles marked morning, afternoon, and evening and were instructed to take one pill from each bottle at the designated time for 1 week. The bottles contained: 1) Terminalia arjuna bark extract (500 mg/tablet) in all three bottles, or 2) ISMN (20 mg/tablet) in the morning and afternoon bottles and placebo in the evening bottle, or 3) matched placebo in all three bottles. Terminalia arjuna bark extract was prepared by concentrating and drying both alcohol and water extracts and then mixing them together. Every patient used all 3 treatments for one week with a 3-day washout period between each treatment. At the end of each week-long period of therapy, clinical, biochemical, and treadmill exercise tests were administered. The number of episodes of angina and ISDN pills consumed was also noted.

Angina improved in 47% of patients when on Terminalia arjuna and 53% of patients when on ISMN (both p<0.005 vs. placebo), but in none when on placebo. Over half the patients had an improvement of at least one NYHA class. The need for ISDN was significantly reduced in 96% of patients on either Terminalia arjuna or ISMN (p-values not given). There was a significant increase in exercise duration, recovery time, and double products (blood pressure x peak heart rate); and a significant decrease in maximal ST depression with Terminalia arjuna or ISMN compared to placebo (all p<0.005). The differences between Terminalia arjuna or ISMN for all these parameters were not significant. Patients with associated diseases (diabetes, dyslipidemia, high blood pressure, previous myocardial infarction) experienced results similar to those in patients without these conditions. Resting heart rate, blood pressure parameters, and blood chemistry were not different between the three treatments. Reported adverse effects were rare, mild, and no different between treatments and included headache, constipation, abdominal discomfort, and body ache.

The treadmill test parameters used were modified from the standard to increase their sensitivity and accuracy. In addition, women were excluded because the treadmill test is less sensitive for them. The promising results of this well-designed study prompt large-scale clinical studies and research into the mechanism of action of Terminalia arjuna.

and...

Bharani A, Ganguly A, and Bhargava KD. Salutary effect of Terminalia Arjuna in Patients with Severe Refractory Heart Failure. International Journal of Cardiology. Vol 49, 1995:191-199.

Reichert, R. Terminalia arjuna for Congestie Heart Failure. Quarterly Review of Natural Medicine. Fall 1996:177-178.

In a short-term, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial, twelve patients (eight female, four male) with refractory chronic congestive heart failure were given dried extract of the bark of the Indian medicinal plant Terminalia arjuna (Fam. Combretaceae) for six weeks in conjunction with conventional therapy. The herb has been used in Ayurvedic traditional medicine of India for heart conditions since the sixth century B.C. Because refractory chronic congestive heart failure is a therapeutic enigma with a high mortality rate, any new therapy with adequate safety margins that can prolong survival and improve the quality of life for these patients is welcome. The results of this short-term trial showed that the herb was useful, and a second phase consisting of long-term evaluation in an open design was then conducted.

In the first trial (Phase I), each patient received both T. arjuna and placebo. For a period of two weeks, each patient received one 500 mg capsule of T. arjuna every eight hours. This initial period was followed by a washout period of two weeks, which was followed by another two-week treatment with placebo capsules. During this six-week period, patients continued their usual antifailure and supportive therapies. The trial was double-blind, and the sequence of administration of the T. arjuna and placebo capsules was not known until the end of the six weeks, at which time an evaluation from baseline to end was carried out for T. arjuna and for placebo, and compared. Regression of signs of heart
failure and appreciable improvement in symptoms such as dyspnea [shortness of breath] and fatigue were seen with T. arjuna as compared to placebo. A decrease in echo-left ventricular enddiastolic volume and endsystolic volume indices was observed, as well as an increase in left ventricular ejection fractions. It was decided that Phase II of the study would commence.

Phase II, which lasted for a mean of 24 months (20-28 months), was conducted to determine whether the improvements observed in Phase I would be sustained with continued treatment with T. arjuna, and to establish the safety of the extract for long-term use. Phase I participants continued with 500 mg dosages of T. arjuna every eight hours as adjuvant therapy. They continued to show improvements in symptoms and signs of heart failure as well as in quality of life for about 2-3 months, with the improvement being more or less maintained throughout the remaining period of the study. Two patients died during Phase II: one at 16 months into the study, of cerebrovascular accident; the other at 14 months, of sudden cardiac death. In neither case did any "significant clinical untoward effect" occur during T. arjuna or placebo therapy.

This clinical investigation confirms the short-and long-term benefits and safety of T. arjuna adjuvant therapy in patients with otherwise unresponsive chronic congestive heart failure. The mechanism of action of this medicinal plant extract still needs to be determined; it may be related to the cardiotonic properties of the plant's glycoside content, or to the free radical scavenging actions of the plant's tannins and flavones. --Ginger Webb

I can't seem to find anything regarding BP specifically, but I'll look for more later. "Might" help alleviate the shortness of breath associated with things like Dbol.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Max, where's a good place to pick up the Hawthorne extract and celery seed?