LDL Cholesterol..Is it really that dangerous?

jdubz

Awards
The more I research Cholesterol the less I am worried. This doesn't mean that I am going to advocate the use of substances that throw your whole lipid profile out of whack. The long term effects of anabolics are not exactly known but neither are the effects of statins. If my doctor ever tries to prescribe me to statins I will deny them. I believe there is no substitute for a healthy diet and exercise. I'm currently involved in writing an arugmentative essay againist the use of statins, so needless to say, I have been reading many studies on the effects of cholesterol on the body.

The Cholesterol Myths
http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm
The International Network of Cholesterol Skeptics
http://www.thincs.org/index.htm

50joe

Awards
  • Established
I don't have anything scientific for you to read, but..

my father has cholesterol problems, but he changed his diet since, and although the numbers are still off by medical community standards, all of his previous problems are gone.

I don't believe cholesterol really makes a difference if you are healthy.

Two people that my dad know have both had heart attacks. And guess what? They had normal or below cholesterol levels. Hm.

Bravo for your paper arguing against too. My father had to take all kinds of prescription drugs at first, and all of them had some side effect that bothered him..... he said he'd rather die of a heart attack then live with all the discomfort. He is not alone either, there are message boards filled with people suffering from side effects.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
jdubz, would you mind posting some of the info you've found, either abstracts or brief summaries of your position.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
The Cholesterol Myths
http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm
The International Network of Cholesterol Skeptics
http://www.thincs.org/index.htm
It's always good to see the opposite side of the coin. It's the basis for informed decision.

Remeber blocked arteries/plaque typically doesn't happen overnite. It's usually a slow buildup. Think of the pipes in your home, might have started of as 2" but over time become less than that.

Although, I have seen cases where patients who had a Cardiac Cath which showed 20-30% occlusion of coronary arteries come in 6 months later >85% occluded in need of CABG. Most are uncontrolled diabetic pt's. I agree with the first link re: diabetics. I always rec'd <=50% kcals from carb depending on activity.

StanChampion

StanChampion

Awards
  • Established
I think a poor LDL profile overtime will be quite negative. Short term blips from steroid use is more likely reversable and controlable. If you have a good diet and still have a poor lipid profile, statins can work wonders.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have read both sides of the fence, and the theory of heart disease has changed in recent years. However, what concerns me is the damage caused by putting the cardiovascular system through such streneous circumstances.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I think a poor LDL profile overtime will be quite negative. Short term blips from steroid use is more likely reversable and controlable. If you have a good diet and still have a poor lipid profile, statins can work wonders.
Just make sure they are blips. I think the guys who are having massive problems are on most of the year.

spitastone

Awards
The medical industry is overly focussed on cholesterol. The science shows that it is inflammation (not cholesterol numbers) that really matters. C-Reactive Protein levels and interleukin-6 levels (both markers of inflammation).

There is also data suggesting that it's the buoyancy of HDL and LDL that matters. Buoyant HDL and LDL particles are helpful to physiological functioning and are easily process by the body. Dense, less buoyant HDL and LDL particles are "damaged" and are less useful. They are harder for the body to process and eliminate and tend to build up in arteries as a result.

Statins lower cholesterol and reduce inflammation but do not effect HDL and LDL buoyancy. Statins elevate liver enzymes and can cause muscle damage (probably due to the endocrine effects).

The only drug that increases HDL and LDL buoyancy and lowers cholesterol at the same time is niacin. Only the immediate release form of niacin is safe. WARNING: Slow or extended release niacin can cause serious liver damage.

NOTE: Exercise also increases HDL and LDL buoyancy and lowers cholesterol.

DobermanXXL

Awards
IMHO long term high cholestrol, or high cholestrol when you're older increases risk for stroke/MI...but being out of whack due to steroid use short term isn't going to kill you as long as you allow ample time to recover.