Is it necessary to supplement BCAA's

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If your using protien powder, according to the label it is loaded with Bcaa's wouldn't this be enough?

tattoopierced1

some people like to mega dose BCAAs to the tune of 30-40g....it does work to a certain extent...however i wouldnt call it nessecary

N4cer

N4cer

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Necessary? Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine?
No, but I do it anyway because it's sterile and I like the taste.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
lol
Where did I hear that? :think:
Oh yeah Patches O Houlihan

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Drink an ice cold one for me bro. I swore off the stuff recently.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
I like BCAA/EAA's as additional supps. I can't say conclusively that they are in any way necessarry.

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
Outside of adequate food intake, nothing is neccesary

aries

Board Sponsor
Awards
it's not necessary..

is it good? yes.. very.. the more in tune with your body you are, the more of a difference you notice with bcaa supplementation...

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
BCAAs are very good, but certainly not necessary. I think you need to take at least 20g for them to work, so it can get expensive. If you buy the bulk make sure you mix it with a bit of B6 for absorption. Throw in some citruline malate and crystal light and you're good to go. Nutraplanet has a huge deal on Xtreme Formulations ICE right now.

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
the BCAAs in prtein help with protein synthesis, but very little. if you were to mega dose BCAAs you would find a lot of benifits from it.

Yjyankee

More Cowbell
Awards
  • Established
the BCAAs in prtein help with protein synthesis, but very little. if you were to mega dose BCAAs you would find a lot of benifits from it.
such as??

not trying to bust your chops, just trying to learn more on these as well.. I honestly haven't taken any other than what's in my protein since the mid 80's... Are there any threads that will shed more light on the benefits of them? It seems like everyone & their brother takes them.

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
i just want everyone who is drinking their own urine to know... make sure you add fenugreek for that nice pancake good morning flavor

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Branch-Chain aminos are amazing.. I take at a min. of 40g a day, gives me good energy and my pumps seem more pronounced.. If I'm using Vaso Xp, the pump is really steady and lasts quite awhile.. ;)

There's tons of info on BCAA's and liver health, energy production, just about everything.. I don't take with B6, the new ethyl ester form is probably a waste since they absorb pretty well on their own.. I use Optimum's BCAA 5000 powder, 10g 4x ED..

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Very informative article. I just started throwing BCAA's into my supplement plan. Your post came at the perfect time.

Marsh11

Marsh11

Awards
  • Established
I just saw this thread and was going to say that funny ****..

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
So crystal light is strong enough to cover up the taste of straight BCAAs?

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've just started using a during workout drink of..

15 grams of whey
30 grams of bcaa's
1 bottle of gatoraid (about 40 carbs)

taste isn't all that bad.. not all that great either.. Definately not a problem though...

Energy seems to be up dramatically, through the course of the workout.

I've also added 5 grams to my regular pre and post meals aswell.

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established

15 grams of whey
30 grams of bcaa's

taste isn't all that bad.. not all that great either.. Definately not a problem though...

Nice drink :clap2:

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

15 grams of whey
30 grams of bcaa's

what flavor of whey? what brand of bcaa's? what flavor of gatorade? I'm just asking because I can't think of any flavors that would taste well together... And 5g of BCAA'S to your pre and post workout meals? I thought they needed to be mega-dosed to be effective?

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
what flavor of whey? what brand of bcaa's? what flavor of gatorade? I'm just asking because I can't think of any flavors that would taste well together... And 5g of BCAA'S to your pre and post workout meals? I thought they needed to be mega-dosed to be effective?
:)

Well I've been working my way through allthewhey chocolate mint blend..

SO far chocolate mint/usplabs bulk pure bcaa's (no flavor)/ and orange gatoraid...

Sort of tastes like a chocolate orange sickle, with a bit of a ick taste from the bcaa's.. but really it's not that bad. nothing like cee by a long shot.

Bcaa's don't mix very well either.. so be warned.. but again it's dispearses enough just sort of gritty.. but no huge clumps.

Any flavor of gatoraid will do though, I tried lemon to an that was fine.. I have some banana whey I might try next with the lemon? Might be sort of like a lemon marenge(sp) pie? lol or not. :D

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
I drink something similar during my workouts:
1 Scoop Grape Substance WPI
10 scoops Grape Xtend
50 grams Dextrose

Sometimes I'll switch it up and use Watermelon WPI and Xtend.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Do you guys think 50g would be much more effective than 30g? I was thinking of trying 30g on off days and 40g on workout days for a month(about 1000g total).

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I just tried the Lemon / Lime gatoraid with the Banana Whey...

And its definately is the best combonation I've tried yet.. Taste alot like a lemon / banana pie, and almost completely covers up the taste of Bcaa's.

:woohoo:

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
10 scoops Grape Xtend
50 grams Dextrose

I'm guessing than you think it is better to take the bcaa's with protein and carbs. The reason I'm asking is because I work a physicaly demanding job and don't have much time for breaks so currently I drink two mrps at work. I want to use a serving of extend at work in hopes of preventing catabolism between shakes. Do you think it would be more benefical to drink it with a shake, drink it by itself in between the shakes or to sip on it all day?

Vtaper

Awards
I'm guessing than you think it is better to take the bcaa's with protein and carbs. The reason I'm asking is because I work a physicaly demanding job and don't have much time for breaks so currently I drink two mrps at work. I want to use a serving of extend at work in hopes of preventing catabolism between shakes. Do you think it would be more benefical to drink it with a shake, drink it by itself in between the shakes or to sip on it all day?
bcaa's are absorbed better on an empty stomach, im assuming that is primarily what extend is.On a side note, I used to have to work long shifts where it was hard to get in all of my calories. Try adding 1 scoop of oats and a tbls of flax or canola to your mrps, if your working 8+ hours, two mrps isnt enough. This will give you another 500 cals. and wont add too much volume to the shakes.

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
I would sip on it between your shakes/meals to provide a constant flow of anabolic goodness :burger:

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I think BCAAs are more important for people in strength oriented programs where they max out a lot. One of the things I've read about here and elsewhere, there's a great thread on the HST boards where this is touched on, and one of the most valuable things BCAAs give you is protection from central and periferal nervous system fatigue. I've supplemented them in the past on strength specific routines and the difference was remarkable. For less intense routines like HST which I do often they may still make a difference but it wasn't anything I could feel. They are very good at preventing burnout in my opinion.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
If you guys are looking for a palatable, affordable way to get a lot of BCAAs in, here is what I just started doing:

Xtreme Formulations ICE (Nutraplanet has it on clearance)
Synergy Muscle's BCAAs ($30/kilo)
Custom's Citruline Malate (A kilo is expensive, but lasts forever)
B6

I add 5 scoops of ICE another tbsp of BCAAs, a tsp of cit. malate and a bit of B6. The ICE covers up the flavor w/o getting too costly.

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
10 scoops Grape Xtend
50 grams Dextrose

Derek do you mix it in H2O or Gatoraide?

If you guys are looking for a palatable, affordable way to get a lot of BCAAs in, here is what I just started doing:

B6

I add 5 scoops of ICE another tbsp of BCAAs, a tsp of cit. malate and a bit of B6. The ICE covers up the flavor w/o getting too costly.
What do you mix yours in?

goyard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i went too nutraplanet and it doesnt look like its on clearance too me? 43.99 for 2lbs

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
Just wanted to chime in and say that Scivation's Xtend, watermelon, is great. I like the profile with glutamine and citrulline. It's a good product overall and both mixes well and tastes good too.

:thumbsup:

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
bulk BCAA's are a lot cheaper than the pre-fab mixes, but you have to do your own flavoring. USP has BCAA's for $30/kilo incidentally. I defy anyone to beat that price! Nice job ceosm!

goyard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
that is a good price, i was stating that someone said it was on clearance and its not in there clearance section that i can find

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If you want to save some cash.. definately don't bother with ice, or xtend or shiet like that.. you just paying large for them to flavor it for you...

Buy the bulk bcaa's.. usplabs.

And dump it in with a gatoraid (better idea.. cause of the electrolytes and carbs).. or some crystal light (not so good, lack of carbs and electrolytes).

Turns out you get use the taste really quick, and it's nothing like getting use to CEE... Lemon gatoraid seems to cover it up the best, and it's practically unoticable... If you want cheap gatoraid, get Kirklands brand from costco.

---

Also, Since steadily supplementing BCAA's, I've noticed substancially quicker recovery, and much less discomfort in my legs imperticular.

I just took a week off... and usually that means when I hit legs, I'm extremely sore for about 3-4 days... However, this time, I hit them HARD managed 12 reps of 315 BB Squats, 16 sets total (lunges, leg press, leg extensions)... Best performance ever... and I had no troubles walking at all... and barely any discomfort. Totally unheard of.. I can only blame my current diet and the bcaa's.

:box: BCAA's

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
:think:

how did my post end up above your's? Err make it how did both of these posts end up above your's Beowulf?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
It was on clearance. You gotta move fast, boys!:run:

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Why can't I find USP Labs website anywhere??? :type:

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
And dump it in with a gatoraid (better idea.. cause of the electrolytes and carbs).. or some crystal light (not so good, lack of carbs and electrolytes).[/B]
Gatorade is good I also like powerade it's got some b vitamins in there.

Phosphate bond

Awards
If your using protien powder, according to the label it is loaded with Bcaa's wouldn't this be enough?
Depends on your goal? If you are cutting they can help.

Oxidizing BCAAS in muscle is just another pathway you can use for generating energy during workouts. I don't think it interfers with fat oxidation at skeletal muscle but may be additive instead.

Best time to take them is when insulin levels are low (ie, during a workout) because that is when branched chain alpha -ketoacid dehydrogenase levels are high.

bearmeat

Awards
  • Established

B6

Where do you get the vitamin B6 powder? Or do you just take it in pill form?

Phosphate bond

Awards
Where do you get the vitamin B6 powder? Or do you just take it in pill form?
I'm not sure what he does, but lots of times when I make up my own custom recipes I just break open capsules and pour the powder in the tub. It works just as good and you don't have to mess with multiple pills/caspules all the time.

Once the custom batch is "set" I don't have to think about it anymore.