for a test and retain/encode the information better so
as to get a better grade?

tintinet

Awards
Brain Train

What would u recommend to take if I wanted say to study
for a test and retain/encode the information better so
as to get a better grade?
Caffeine, AMP, Choline (especially CDP-choline or Alpha-GPC), fish oils, ritalin, modafinil,
amphetamines, etc.

soma

soma

Awards
  • Established
Extras...

Caffeine, AMP, Choline (especially CDP-choline or Alpha-GPC), fish oils, ritalin, modafinil,
amphetamines, etc.
also - piracetam or aniracetam, ALCAR seems to be synergistic with a lot of things + gives mental energy/physical energy. vinpocetine increases glucoses ability to pass blood/brain barrier i believe (read somewhere in a study that 40 mgs given within a day increased short term memory along the lines of 30-40 percent - however i see most people taking less than this ex. 5-20 mgs is what i typically see.) Good luck. :dance:

-Soma

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I know there are all these studies and whatnot... But does this ****, namely Piracetam, really work?

Cold

Awards
I know there are all these studies and whatnot... But does this ****, namely Piracetam, really work?
There's a guy I know that uses it. From what I hear he's been skipping a lot of classes but he seems to be doing fine. I guess that means it works for him.

Variance

Awards
Piracetam takes a month or two before you begin to reap the benefits.. but it does work.

What YOU are probably looking for is "quick fix" and the closest thing to that is a stim stack + neuroprotective supplements

AMP/HEAT/Modafinil (3 amp, 2 heat or 4 amp, 3 heat) has been very effective as a stim for studying. Lots of calm energy leaves me very hungry too.

In my experience I've found it to be better than Adderall overall.
Adderall does have a higher initial charge but the come down and apetite killing (Being hungry but not being able to eat)
is horrible. Granted this can be alleviated with L-Tyrosine and Choline supplementation (Precursors to important neurotransmitters) but you should be dosing them regularly if you are on a study binge with stims.

Mental Health depends greatly on how you feel so...

I'd say
Good Multi-vitamin (I use orthocore but its expensive)
AMP/HEAT/MODAFINIL for your legal/easy to obtain Stim Stack.
Choline/Tyrosine Supplementation
Omega 3's/6's
Drink lots of water and have healthy food to snack on.

If you have access to prescription stims.. ie Methylphenidate (Ritalin) Amphetamine (Adderall) those would work too but its hard to eat when you take those.. at least for me anyway and the comedown is horrible.

I should add that on the AMP/HEAT/Modafinil stack. I can go on for 3 or 4 days before my mental state starts deteriorating and I begin to convince myself that life sucks. The issue is that when I wanted to sleep. I can't so you may need a seditive of some form. Prescription or not. Prescription(Ambien/Soma/Sonata) works awesome but over the counter works decently too. Melatonin/Valerian Root/Benedryl.
Needless to say you WILL need to have an "off" pill.

Other things I've heard of.. but haven't used yet are

Vasopressin - Heard lots of great things about memory recall/retention.

Deprenyl - Supposedly helps with ADHD?

StimulantX - Supposed to be AMP/HEAT times two or something. It's all the rage on BB.com. Appears to have a greater amount of geranium constituent that coincides with Chocamine/Caffiene to produce the potent effect.

psimonkey

Awards
Daily
Piracetam 3x 800mgs, Ginkgo biloba conc ex 3x 60 mgs, Vincamine 3x 10 mgs, GPC choline 300 mgs, Green tea lots of.
Check out the nootropics section www.iminst.org.

Shine on

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
The only nootropic I've tried is Bulk Nutrition's Piracetam, and I can assuredly vouch for its efficacy. When taken on an empty stomach (almost 2 grams), I notice its effects within minutes. My thoughts become more coherent, words flow more smoothly, and focus is markedly improved. Moreover, its safety profile is nonpareil. I'm unsure of its use in regards to memory, but the afore mentioned effects come readily to me.

400runner

Banned
Awards
  • Established
only thing to add to pircacetam is it tastes like boo... you can always cap if you cant handle the taste tho

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
^ Yeah, the taste is like a mixture of sin and rotten death.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
The majority of people who use Piracetam at 1.5-2.5g per dose, 1-2X a day for a few weeks will get an appreciable effect from it, not all, but most will.

It's the cheapest, least toxic and most generally effective nootropic avaliable and it's effects are enhanced with acetylcholine supplementation from choline, lecithin, DMAE, Centro, etc. and dietary sources like eggs. Supplementary B5 will aid in the conversion of acetylcholine from these sources.

It's not the only effective noot, but it's my recommendation as the one to try first.

mindgames

Awards
I like ALCAR, but amphetamines......its too easy to get too wired and to run around at 10 times the speed and actually getting very little done.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
I have had great success with Al-car. It is a good long term supplement with many other benefits. Piracetam combined with a choline supplement has good limbric frontal lobe type( brain to mouth ) activity for me. Amphetamines have some value as a study aid, but the side effects can be counter productive( can't always concentrate on the goal at hand, addiction cell death ) It really is a trial and error thing. I have used Phophatydal Choline since I was 16( on the advice of a biology teacher ) i couldn't image life without its brain( mostly memory ) and fat emolsifing properties. I also like idebenone, sulbutiamine, betaine hcl and vitamin C. there are also other members of the "cetam" family which may work for you. good luck!

JB22

Awards

There have been a few reports to super-dose piracitam for the initial dose around 6 or 7 grams, then the effects of much smaller doses become much more pronounced. Saturation period maybe?

This works well with 2-3 grams of choline, I would mix these powders in orange or apple juice; kinda salty and fishy smelling(choline), and makes me retain more water for the next day or so but the minds concerntration on this stack is pretty good.

For studying I read that Vasopressin (Desmopressin) would be more useful for learning/retaining information while piracitam and choline are better for recalling information previously leaned. Apart from fluid retention I cant see any reason why you couldnt stack all 3 to increase results.

Hydergine is another nootropic possibly useful in this area made by Albert Hoffman, discoverer of LSD, although I am uncertain of the legality of purchasing this in certain areas.

For all those interested in Nootropics I remember a few articles written by someone under the alias "R.U.Sirius", one of the articles was 'May You Never Sleep' was a good read. Try a google search for it, I found it at http://www.textfiles.com/drugs/enhance.txt

JB

oli200

Awards
whats the difference between aniracetam and piracetam? Which is the better of these two?

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
whats the difference between aniracetam and piracetam? Which is the better of these two?

No way to say which is better. Aniracetam is supposed to be a step up, but in this arena....it's very different person to person. I have to take a lot of aniracetam to equal the effects of piracetam. The effects of piracetam seem to hold on much longer when I go off than does aniracetam.

Now....if you want the real ****.....go for pramiracetam....BOOYA!!

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Everyone seems to react different. You may want to search other boards that are nootropic oriented or I like erowid.com. Aniracetam makes me tired and does not dissolve in water, but is tasteless, some mix it with chocomine. Piracetam has a strong chemical taste it jacks me if I take too much at once i get head aches, but it dissolves in water and gives me instant states of clarity.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Piracetam works very quickly for me as well. I have yet to take it for extended periods but the few short weeks I used it my mental clarity really increased.

Typing became much easier as did writing. Memory and recall were greatly enhanced and it imparts a lot of mental energy. Part of the reason I don't stay on it is because it gives me insomnia.

rhunt000

rhunt000

I luv my tee, thanks NP
Awards
My favorite stack is (per serving)

ALCAR-2g
L-Tyrosine-2g
Choline Citrate-1g
A-GPC-250mg
Piracetam-800mg
Taurine-1g
Caffeine-200mg

I get the buld powders and mix it all together. Taste isn't too bad. Cost is around .30-.35 per serving.

problemman

Awards
re

Is there enough choline in a Nuerostim + Piracetam stack or would it be good to add extra choline?

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Between the Choline, DMAE and Huperzine in Neurostim there should be plenty of acetylcholine conversion built in. One might want to add some vitamin B5 to aid in the conversion of Choline to acetylcholine, but it's probably unnecessary with the two other things there already.

problemman

Awards
I have like 10 bottles of the old Nuerostim powder.

Someone pointed out in another thread the aspartame issue and I check on it and I find quotes like:

" What I can tell you, regarding toxicology, histology and biochemistry, is that aspartame is neurotoxic. Its components easily transcend the blood-brain barrier, interfering with normal nerve cell function. This affects the glutathione and calcium mechanisms in place, destroying nerve call integrity. The methanol then breaks down into formaldehyde-formic acid components, which denaturizes/mutates the DNA: a known scientific fact. The subsequent result from this interaction and from isolates of genetically modified amino acids, the methanol, is nerve cell necrosis and subsequent organ system degradation"

So I am wondering:

1) Is this overblown sensationalism by the sugar Industry

2) if No, Is there consistency between the dosing of Aspartame in a product like the old Nuerostim and the actual amount that would cause toxicity

2) If Yes, is there anything that can potentially buffer this affect...

Thx !!!

Variance

Awards
Everyone seems to react different. You may want to search other boards that are nootropic oriented or I like erowid.com. Aniracetam makes me tired and does not dissolve in water, but is tasteless, some mix it with chocomine. Piracetam has a strong chemical taste it jacks me if I take too much at once i get head aches, but it dissolves in water and gives me instant states of clarity.

Aniracetam is a different racemic mixture of piracetam.
It is a different form that may, or may not be more effective than aniracetam (no conclusive research has been done that I can locate.) From its molecular structure it is nonpolar. thats why it wont dissolve in water. It's best capped and taken with EFA's (Omega 3/Omega 6 Oils) like fish/flaxseed oil for it to work at full capacity.

Piracetam has had lots of research (medical, neurological, neurobiochemical) and otherwise that can be found pretty easily on either Academic Search Premier, Pubmed or you can check wikipedia for a collection of abstracts on journals.

At the doses indicated (1.5 - 2.5g) 1 - 2x daily. It is not even close to being neurotoxic, hepatoxic, or otherwise.

also I'd advise people to stay away from large amounts of DMAE for now until further research is concluded. a few new journal reports I've read have indicated that DMAE is more likely a competitive inhibitor in that it competes with choline for receptor sites rather than being a precursor of choline.
so in high doses it make actually block out choline.

additionally when you do take neurotropics. be sure they are in forms that are effective.

Example: Lecithin/Choline Bitrate is a **** source for choline (due to its very low bioabsorption). Alpha GPC or CDP Choline are probably the most effective choline supplements around. anything is probably a waste of your money at this point in time.

as with any supplement stack.
neurotropics should be started one at a time so that if you respond badly in some way (sleepyness, nausea, overstimulation) you will be able to identify which one it is and eliminate it.

as for the aspartame controversy.
There's enough credible published research as well as "questionable" research on both sides. He is stating the results of "one side" of the debate. I wish when people would make claims about a certain mechanism being in a study, they would qualify it with a reference to at the very least an abstract of the primary source.

I generally like to follow the rule that if two sides, who both have intelligent people behind it are fighting for a point, the truth is usually somewhere in between.

its probably not the worst substance ever. but its not good either.

I'd just stay away from it in general

Neurostim kinda sucks anyway.
crappy ineffective "filler" choline.
they don't give you the exact amounts of
Huperzine, DMAE or Tyrosine and aspartame?
waste.

You could get a MUCH better and effective neurotropic stack(if you must have a kitchen sink neurotropic)
along the lines of Ortho-Mind or Get Smart.
and they are pills. easier than drinking yet another mix.

I prefer orthomind myself.
I like how they list very clearly what forms they use.
How much etc. None of this "proprietary mix" crap to hide how much "filler" they use.
If they try to pass off a bunch of ingredients contained in a proprietary mix in which they don't show the exact amount of each ingredient
they got something to hide.

Much better neuroprotective/tropic properties than neurostim
good antioxidants, etc.

SUPPLEMENT FACTS:
Serving Size: 6 Capsules %DRI
R(+)-lipoic acid ……………………................. 100 mg *
Huperzine-A (from 20 mg Huperzia serrata 0.5%) 100 mcg *
Vinpocetine ……………..……………. 15 mg *
Bacopa monniera extract(50% baccosides A&B) 300 mg *
Ginkgo biloba extract……………….. 100 mg *
(24% ginkgoflavone glycosides, 6% terpene lactones)
Cytidine diphosphate choline ……….. 500 mg *
Acetyl-L-Carnitine HCl…………………. 1500 mg *
L-Pyroglutamic Acid ………………….... 1500 mg *
Pantothenic acid ………………….... 500 mg 10000

pressmaster

Awards
ALPHA GPC,it is invovlved with choline and mental acuity and u get a gh boost from it,I take one serving from NOW with my peptides and gh releasing aminos and do a fasting wo n the morning 5days a week,GOOD STUFF!!!!!!!