Supplement Recommendations for Baseball Player

1. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.84%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Supplement Recommendations for Baseball Player

OK – I’d really appreciate your input.

My 19 year old son is a college baseball player (pitcher). This will be his first season “back? - after a year long recovery from Tommy John Surgery (a surgery in which they grafted a ligament from his left hamstring into the UCL of his right elbow; which had ruptured). He follows a workout and throwing regimen prescribed by his Surgeon, but would like recommendations on supplements. Clearly, pro hormones, etc., are not in the picture given his age and NCAA testing, nor are they something he is interested in.

The question: Other than creatine, multivitamins, protein, DMG/TMG, and ALA (all of which he is using now), what supplements do you recommend for someone looking to increase arm strength and accelerate post-workout recovery?

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.33%

I think he is pretty much using the supps I would use if i didnt want to try something like a pro-steroid. Maybe he can try NO-Xplode. Its a good product but because of price I dont buy it that often. Oh yeah instead of using regular creatine try Kre-Alkalyn.
  3. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.93%

I would go with another NO supplement. check out customs site. have him try Creatine ethyl ester. same site. ZMA is a must.
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.93%

He is fine with what he has. No supplements/drugs needed.
  5. Guest

He is recovering from Major surgery. I would use supplements to speed recovery. I sure they been dopping him with pain meds and etc so supplements should be a welcome change.

I would use look into MSM to help rebuild cartliage with other natur anti-inflamatories along with ALOT of EFA's. I would suggest about 15-20g of epa/dha a day found in fish oil and possibly look into Cissus rx at synergymuscle.com. This is a product that USPlabs(my company produces), and you can visit our forum on this board to see all the case studies. Cissus seems to increase blood flow and nutrients to the infected area.

I would also purchase some BCAA powder and dose it in the morning, pre-workout and post-workout to speed the recovery process. He should stay away from meat products and eat a every alkaline diet while recovering.

I would also buy some bromelan and protease enzymes and take them pre and post workout to attach inflamation.

Besides the supplements, you soon need to get with a Physical therapist/trainer that balances the muscle of the throwing arm which are the back and rotator muscle of the shoulder. He should row and do rotator excercise that are opposite of his throwing motion.

ceosm
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.04%

Quote Originally Posted by USPLabs
    He is recovering from Major surgery. I would use supplements to speed recovery. I sure they been dopping him with pain meds and etc so supplements should be a welcome change.

I would use look into MSM to help rebuild cartliage with other natur anti-inflamatories along with ALOT of EFA's. I would suggest about 15-20g of epa/dha a day found in fish oil and possibly look into Cissus rx at synergymuscle.com. This is a product that USPlabs(my company produces), and you can visit our forum on this board to see all the case studies. Cissus seems to increase blood flow and nutrients to the infected area.

I would also purchase some BCAA powder and dose it in the morning, pre-workout and post-workout to speed the recovery process. He should stay away from meat products and eat a every alkaline diet while recovering.

I would also buy some bromelan and protease enzymes and take them pre and post workout to attach inflamation.

Besides the supplements, you soon need to get with a Physical therapist/trainer that balances the muscle of the throwing arm which are the back and rotator muscle of the shoulder. He should row and do rotator excercise that are opposite of his throwing motion.

ceosm
    Do this....especially the rotator exercises. A good muscle/strength balance prevents injury.
  7. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.84%

First of all, thank you for your willingness to offer advice. Tim, my son, had surgery in May 2004, and he has been working with a physical therapist for most of the last year. He resumed very limited flat ground throwing in October 2004, and was approved to start throwing bullpens in May 2005. The Surgeon gave him the go ahead to pitch (fastball and changeups only) in limited game situations in June 2005. So far, so good.

Any advice, etc., is sincerely appreciated. Prior to his UCL injury – he had scouts and major schools expressing interest. All of this dried up with the injury, but he is now pitching at a So Cal JC, and working to transfer to a university when the time is right.
  8. Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beau
    First of all, thank you for your willingness to offer advice. Tim, my son, had surgery in May 2004, and he has been working with a physical therapist for most of the last year. He resumed very limited flat ground throwing in October 2004, and was approved to start throwing bullpens in May 2005. The Surgeon gave him the go ahead to pitch (fastball and changeups only) in limited game situations in June 2005. So far, so good.

Any advice, etc., is sincerely appreciated. Prior to his UCL injury – he had scouts and major schools expressing interest. All of this dried up with the injury, but he is now pitching at a So Cal JC, and working to transfer to a university when the time is right.
    No need to rush it and just get with a progressive trainer that always updating his information. Some feel that after receiving a degree learning needs to cease, You see with doctors and therapist alike.

Similar Forum Threads

1. supplement recommendations for tough mudder
    By kfactor824 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-14-2012, 09:28 AM
  2. Developing a new routine for baseball player.
    By jumpshot903 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-26-2010, 05:07 PM
  3. What do you recommend for post-workout supplements?
    By BlondGrim in forum Supplements
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-23-2009, 01:09 PM
  4. supp stack for minor league baseball player
    By baseball5050 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-19-2006, 03:26 PM
  5. 1MT or Winny for a baseball player
    By CEDeoudes59 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2003, 01:22 AM