John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I recently heard Dave Palumbo ob RxMuscle do a rant of the cost of being a bodybuilder. In one segment , he mentions a bodybuilder needs wpi , and is not getting optimal gains if they are taking wpc.

Do you

A. Agree
B. Dont think it matters much
C. Disagree

?

CATdiesel76

CATdiesel76

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It doesn’t matter. Only difference in effects between the two somebody would actually notice is that somebody extrememely sensitive to lactose might have more stomach issues with wpc.

He probably just sells a WPI product. Now is there some minuscule difference between wpc and wpi that makes WPI better? Yes I’m sure. Is it enough of a difference that anyone other than those with food allergies/ stomach issues could ever possibly notice? Absolutely not

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
In theory a very low quality wpc would hamper your results on a cutting cycle because of the higher amount of carbs and fats but if your bulking then a low quality wpc would probably still be better than eating junk food constantly for example. If you don't know the wpc number though and are counting macros then you could seriously be overestimating your protein intake.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I disagree 100%. As long as the amino acid profile is similar or the same it, doesn't matter.

What about people who consume all of their protein through other food sources and don't use whey? What happens to them?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
As mentioned it probably won’t matter for most people outside of those with issues with lactose.

Alternatively I was under the impression there may even be beneficial growth factors in whey concentrate that may get filtered out in an isolate.

shockrock3

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It doesn’t matter. Only difference in effects between the two somebody would actually notice is that somebody extrememely sensitive to lactose might have more stomach issues with wpc.

He probably just sells a WPI product. Now is there some minuscule difference between wpc and wpi that makes WPI better? Yes I’m sure. Is it enough of a difference that anyone other than those with food allergies/ stomach issues could ever possibly notice? Absolutely not
Agree. NOTHING that is going to make you look like Mr. Olympia if you start taking WPI over WPC...you won't notice a damn difference in muscle composition, etc. It's about digestion like you said that someone would notice a difference.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I only agree because I have a very hard time tolerating wpc, and I only have whey once or twice a day. The guys Dave is referring to can consume up to 500 or more grams of protein a day, and consume shakes much more frequently, on top of a lot of meals. If your stomach is messed up you cannot consume your next meal and digest it correctly.
Besides that I think it doesn’t really matter as long as your body is able to utilize wpc, and if it can then it doesn’t matter and wpc would be fine. At the end of the day remember Dave is a salesman and will always do these segments and then plug his species line, and he sells wpi.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I stopped listening to Dave's podcast because he will spout of stuff as fact that isn't necessarily fact

however we must look at the fact he's talking about high level bodybuilding and no offense to anyone on here, but most of us are not that

if your stepping on a high level stage the maybe 1 or 2% difference could help, but a majority of us will never notice

I always recommend WPI if money isn't an issue as I find it higher quality, easier to consume, it doesn't sit on the stomach and you know what your getting

the difference in quality between 1 wpc product vs the next seems to be vary significantly

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I stopped listening to Dave's podcast because he will spout of stuff as fact that isn't necessarily fact

however we must look at the fact he's talking about high level bodybuilding and no offense to anyone on here, but most of us are not that

if your stepping on a high level stage the maybe 1 or 2% difference could help, but a majority of us will never notice

I always recommend WPI if money isn't an issue as I find it higher quality, easier to consume, it doesn't sit on the stomach and you know what your getting

the difference in quality between 1 wpc product vs the next seems to be vary significantly
Gagging on my way to class and even in class! Back in college, 2003-2006, I tried WPC and would just about throw up every morning in class. I use to eat cereal, slam my shake, take a tbsp or two of flaxseed oil and hurry to class. Maybe it was because I was in a hurry but it was bad and I had to do a lot to hold back throwing up

I switched to expensive wpi, vp2 by ast brand, it was 20 $ for a 2 lb tun, and back then I didn't have as much money as I do now, but I spent it every month and this kept me from throwing up. I have a thread on bodybuilding.com back in 2004 or 2005 where I was looking for help and Pat Arnold recommend WPi and to my surprise it worked!

Moving on, I dont have stomach issues anymore and for the most part take in WPC. From time to time I take in WPI, like last night, and I feel better when I do. I think it might be worth shot to at least take in WPI pre contest . Being that I can get 11 lbs wpi for 80 $ or so its a little less than it was fifteen years ago when i was in college! Thank you for your insight, I really appreciate you .

Ive got to plug Millennium Sports because they treat me well, 100% NEW ZEALAND, GRASS FED WHEY PROTEIN has cross flow microfiltration (CFM) and WPC from grass fed only cows. It seems smoother, easier to digest, and just feels better, than the other wpc I use.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Can gain just as much muscle with meat...

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I recently heard Dave Palumbo ob RxMuscle do a rant of the cost of being a bodybuilder. In one segment , he mentions a bodybuilder needs wpi , and is not getting optimal gains if they are taking wpc.

Do you

A. Agree
B. Dont think it matters much
C. Disagree

?
Disagree. Basic science disagrees with him too. If you can get sufficient protein while hitting (not over or under) your other macros (calories, fat, carbs) using high-quality whole-food sources of protein (like beef, chicken, fish, eggs, etc) you don't need ANY whey protein, forget isolate specifically. The only time that isolate would trump concentrate is if you're lactose intolerant, or if the small difference in calories and/or fat somehow makes or breaks your diet, which only seems even remotely possible deep into a cut.

Chamaan

Chamaan

Awards
Disagree. Basic science disagrees with him too. If you can get sufficient protein while hitting (not over or under) your other macros (calories, fat, carbs) using high-quality whole-food sources of protein (like beef, chicken, fish, eggs, etc) you don't need ANY whey protein, forget isolate specifically. The only time that isolate would trump concentrate is if you're lactose intolerant, or if the small difference in calories and/or fat somehow makes or breaks your diet, which only seems even remotely possible deep into a cut.
I both agree and disagree.

Agree :
Total and daily protein intake is the most relevant, getting most of it through high quality whole foods gets you appropriate aminos profiles.

Disagree :
WPI pros :
Cleaner source of proteins, faster absorption
WPI cons :
Greater insulin spike, can cause reactive hypoglycemia

WPC pros :
- better for the immune system, affordable
WPC cons :
-Fatter, may cause digestive issues

I think WPI is only worth it if you use it peri-workout and can afford it.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

Agree :
Total and daily protein intake is the most relevant, getting most of it through high quality whole foods gets you appropriate aminos profiles.

Disagree :
WPI pros :
WPI cons :

WPC pros :
WPC cons :

Faster absorption to me is a con.

What do you mean cleaner?

Chamaan

Chamaan

Awards
Faster absorption to me is a con.

What do you mean cleaner?
Less fat and carbs, sorry for the hazardous designation ahah

Also forgot to mention that WPI is more "processed" than WPC and you may have to check the filtration process (heat can lessen the protein quality, dying agents can be used to whiten the powder etc.. )

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Less fat and carbs, sorry for the hazardous designation ahah

Also forgot to mention that WPI is more "processed" than WPC and you may have to check the filtration process (heat can lessen the protein quality, dying agents can be used to whiten the powder etc.. )
I feel in the context for an everyday joe gym rat, WPC is fine. A few grams of carbs or fat shouldn’t be breaking our diet.

I agree with those that need WPI for specific reasons, but I find it difficult to rational paying for an isolate when WPC gets the job done. And, at the end of the day, I think blends (whey + casein) is most ideal anyways

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Agree :

Disagree :
WPI pros :
WPI cons :

WPC pros :
WPC cons :

Ive never researched this, I find this very interesting. Thank you