Can we build muscles without protein supplements?

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How many points you can share? Hope all of them will be great to try.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nope
Without my post whey shake I go catabolic and did not make any gains from working out. The anabolic window is scary

Seriously I use 2 scoops a day - just makes it super easy to get my protein in while keeping my cals low

TheSuppGuy

TheSuppGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nope
Without my post whey shake I go catabolic and did not make any gains from working out. The anabolic window is scary

Seriously I use 2 scoops a day - just makes it super easy to get my protein in while keeping my cals low
I don't think you need protein after a workout if you were sufficient on it intra. I used to be the guy having to take my BCAAs instantly, with carbs, and then protein powder exactly 30 minutes after. Now if I know I had eaten a breakfast of 75g protein, and do a workout an hour later, I KNOW my body has not used all of it in that period of time. If it had, I would need to eat 400g like Jay Cutler did... I'm natural, if you are enhanced, it is another ball game since the protein synthesis works at a totally different degree. Some people suggest, not eating post workout, since the fat burning benefits are so good at that point. They suggest having some caffeine and not breaking that "fast".

Personally, I take BCAAs post workout if I feel like it, and within 15-20 minutes, I am at home, and of course, the first thing I do is find protein. Either from foods, or through a shake at 60g whey-80 (my go-to amount, 3 scoops). I aim for 200g of it, sometimes a little less. I know I can get away with 130g of protein, but since higher amounts raise IGF-1 levels, and makes you feel more full, and needs way more energy to metabolize compared to a carb, and since they are less likely stored as fats, I keep my protein intake high relative to my fats and carbs. 100g carbs is 400 cals while 100g protein is 400 cals, but 400 cals of protein takes a high amount of cals to digest, since the molecules are so long and complex. And the apetite effect + the IGF-1 thing makes this so good when cutting!!

Hope I was informative, I'm from Sweden so my english may not be perfect!!

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i'm confused by the question but no, you do not need protein powder to build muscle if you can get enough protein from whole food

protein powder is funny because it's something you can get from your diet but the quality, price, and convenience of protein powder makes it an easy supplement choice

I haven't used a protein shake post workout in a very long time....the protein powder I use is mixed in yogurt for a snack midday and I usually drink one pre workout and then aminos intra which makes post workout not needed imo

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
How many points you can share? Hope all of them will be great to try.
A bit confused by the question as well. But to answer the question in the title - no, you don't need supplements to build muscle. If you are consuming a sufficient amount of protein in your diet, supplements aren't needed.

User

Awards
Protein is just part of the equation, muscle gains is much more related to hormone levels/androgen receptors than to protein intake, a example is that dude that only eats "crap" food, trains 3x/week and looks better than you all year round, obviously if you're not making any gains checking your nutrition is a good start, but getting your hormones checked will give a much more clear answer, if your hormones levels are chitty, working out is a waste of time if bodybuilding is your thing

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
OP is the master of troll threads
Just read his post history:

Can you make a shrimp and spinach pasta without cheese?
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/307145-can-you-make.html

Whats the highest amount of weight you ever bicep curled?
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/306863-whats-highest-amount.html

What is the weight ratio of bone to meat in a Tomahawk Steak?
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/307146-what-weight-ratio.html

and half of his replies are
Oh, Ok Thanks, Awesome
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/306864-have-you-ever.html

TheSuppGuy

TheSuppGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Oh, Ok Thanks, Awesome
Good for him, if he gets the stuff his looking for. :)

Everyone is different and any help is good at all times. Maybe he is not trolling.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How do the guys in prison look so shredded with the chetty food they eat?

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Of course you don’t need protein supplements. They just make life easier

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Protein Supps are not needed if your diet is in check. The idea is to aid in getting what you need.

Nutrex

Nutrex

Awards
Protein Supps are not needed if your diet is in check. The idea is to aid in getting what you need.
This. Plus the ease of getting it or the calories from your shakes. When you have a busy lifestyle it helps.

Anabaholic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Like everyone said, no, you don't exactly 'need' protein powder, but it is a cheap and low fat/carb source of protein relative to whole foods, which makes it an obvious choice for people with a high protein requirement. Basically, it would be difficult and expensive for most people to get 250g+ of protein a day without supplements.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Like everyone said, no, you don't exactly 'need' protein powder, but it is a cheap and low fat/carb source of protein relative to whole foods, which makes it an obvious choice for people with a high protein requirement. Basically, it would be difficult and expensive for most people to get 250g+ of protein a day without supplements.
I don’t think many people need 250g+ daily though

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Of course you can. But I use them for “easy calories”. I can make a 700 calorie shake and down it very easily compared to eating a clean 700 calories.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I shoot for 220-250g a day for building muscle.
Depends on the individuals stats as well. Age height weight to and goal to deteremine how much g they need of protein per day.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Does eating 250g build more muscle?
It depends on your body weight. 1g of protein per pound of body weight is sufficient for building muscle, as long as your are eating an adequate amount of carbs and fats along with it to put yourself in a caloric surplus.

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nope

Yes, it's easy!

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nope

80/20 Ground Beef - Classic. For 4oz, you get 300 calories packed with 20g of fat and 30g of protein. Don’t mind that it’s saturated fat. The long held misconception of its purported danger is disproven by numerous studies.

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't think you need protein after a workout if you were sufficient on it intra. I used to be the guy having to take my BCAAs instantly, with carbs, and then protein powder exactly 30 minutes after. Now if I know I had eaten a breakfast of 75g protein, and do a workout an hour later, I KNOW my body has not used all of it in that period of time. If it had, I would need to eat 400g like Jay Cutler did... I'm natural, if you are enhanced, it is another ball game since the protein synthesis works at a totally different degree. Some people suggest, not eating post workout, since the fat burning benefits are so good at that point. They suggest having some caffeine and not breaking that "fast".

Personally, I take BCAAs post workout if I feel like it, and within 15-20 minutes, I am at home, and of course, the first thing I do is find protein. Either from foods, or through a shake at 60g whey-80 (my go-to amount, 3 scoops). I aim for 200g of it, sometimes a little less. I know I can get away with 130g of protein, but since higher amounts raise IGF-1 levels, and makes you feel more full, and needs way more energy to metabolize compared to a carb, and since they are less likely stored as fats, I keep my protein intake high relative to my fats and carbs. 100g carbs is 400 cals while 100g protein is 400 cals, but 400 cals of protein takes a high amount of cals to digest, since the molecules are so long and complex. And the apetite effect + the IGF-1 thing makes this so good when cutting!!

Hope I was informative, I'm from Sweden so my english may not be perfect!!
Seriously informational!

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i'm confused by the question but no, you do not need protein powder to build muscle if you can get enough protein from whole food

protein powder is funny because it's something you can get from your diet but the quality, price, and convenience of protein powder makes it an easy supplement choice

I haven't used a protein shake post workout in a very long time....the protein powder I use is mixed in yogurt for a snack midday and I usually drink one pre workout and then aminos intra which makes post workout not needed imo
You are right, Brah!
If you’re going to make an exception, make it for protein shakes. A quick shake - mixed with whole milk - is a calorie dense rich on the go snack.

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A bit confused by the question as well. But to answer the question in the title - no, you don't need supplements to build muscle. If you are consuming a sufficient amount of protein in your diet, supplements aren't needed.
Supplements for easy to gain big muscle. Isn't it, Brah? Food is always the Boss! :)

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
One of my big brothers told me to take supplements for fast muscle gaining!

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Everyone is different and any help is good at all times. Maybe he is not trolling.
Seriously want to know the things! Is this wrong, brah?

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How do the guys in prison look so shredded with the chetty food they eat?
Its called they finally came off the street drugs and started eating and working out lol

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You don’t need to supplement with protein to build muscle. There are other ways to build muscle with out supplementing with protein as long as you can trigger mtor.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You don’t need to supplement with protein to build muscle. There are other ways to build muscle with out supplementing with protein as long as you can trigger mtor.
Anyone tried 10g or leucine or more per day, does that trigger mtor to build muscle.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I take immunolin

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

Oh, Ok Thanks, Awesome
I'm convinced it is AI trying to learn more about the human race

Haha, kidding.

But seriously, whey protein isn't needed for muscle growth. It is just a convenience tool to meet protein targets without requiring much prep.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Anyone tried 10g or leucine or more per day, does that trigger mtor to build muscle.
You want to get at least 3g leucine per meal/serving of protein to maximize MPS, but this can be done by consuming sufficient amounts of high-quality protein naturally in your diet. If you aren't eating multiple meals, or aren't getting enough leucine per meal/serving, then you can add some to get to that 3g mark, but additional leucine isn't necessary/beneficial if you're getting optimal amounts from your diet.

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Yeah, no, he's wasting everyone's time...

His profile is blank, no goals or body stats to show where he is at, and a bunch of 101 level Q's, most he could have learned on his own without having to crowd source... As my AP Chemistry teacher told me in 10th grade, go look it up (yourself)!

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
One of my big brothers told me to take supplements for fast muscle gaining!
Really, do you take what your 'big brothers' say for gospel truth?

Like gee, golly willickers, I am 15 y/o and my older brother said drink whey protein and I'll get Yuuge quick! How fun.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

Oh, Ok Thanks, Awesome
I’ve tried, dudes been asking weird crap since he’s been here, no idea what he is trying to do.

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hmm... By the way, what about you now, brah?