Is Dorian Yates Lying Here?

musclemaker

musclemaker

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This is Dorian at 20-21 years old I believe (born in 1962).

I know he had freak genetics, but 6 months?

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
probably lying, a lot of bodybuilders seem to "exaggerate" the truth when it comes to this type of thing

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It's possible. He grew up in rural England and may have been into sports or manual labor. This might just be after he officially started lifting.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
He always said that he started lifting after he got into trouble and was put in a detention center. He would lift with the other inmates and he and the others quickly realized he was stronger and had a better physique than everyone else there. He said he just saw lifting, at that point, as something positive, so he kept at it.

So, I kind of believe it. He is obviously I'm possession of above average genetics and there certainly are some freaks out there.

I have a friend who is just a natural athlete. One summer in college her learned I was playing a lot of tennis and said he hadn't played in over 10 years (we were maybe 22). I had been playing every day for months, so I started off thinking...I can go easy on him here. From there he just crushed me. He was better than anyone I ever played. In the end I told him I couldn't believe it and he just said, "I don't know. You give me a ball and make me run around and I tend to be OK at it."

I think it is the same thing here. Some people are just on another level to start.

CATdiesel76

CATdiesel76

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
He has some of the best genetics in the world so why is that hard to believe? I know a good amount of people who have physiques similar to that photo after a couple years of training so it’s not hard to believe that somebody with genetics of his caliber couldn’t do it quite a bit faster

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Or you are just bad at tennis
Oh yeah, there is that too. Haha.

But that's kind of the point still. Most of us suck at bodybuilding. Just because we can't imagine looking like that after 6 months doesn't mean someone with better genetics who is good at it can't do it easily. The guy probably gets bigger if he drives by a gym.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I dunno, but i recall a story about sergio oliva and his calves. He had impressive calves but said his brothers calves were far better even though hed never worked out.

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I suck at bodybuilding but I keep grinding. My genetics are more slow twitch/ endurance based. Oh well.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
probably lying, a lot of bodybuilders seem to "exaggerate" the truth when it comes to this type of thing
Agreed. Maybe 6 months lifting while using the special sauce;)

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established

That picture was in muscle and fitness in the 90's. Not sure if its airbrushed or doctored but its not new

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I suck at bodybuilding but I keep grinding. My genetics are more slow twitch/ endurance based. Oh well.
That's the great thing about bodybuilding though. Even guys like us that suck at it can benefit from it. It won't be me vs. Dorian anytime soon.

But every day it is me vs. The guy I was yesterday and the guy I will be tomorrow.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you see movie stars, they often have amazing physical transformation within 4-6 months so it's definitely do able with hard work and dedication.

There is an Indian actor named Aamir Khan who went from fat to fit in just 5-6 months of training.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Mayb but probably not. I’ve known some people with impressive builds that don’t even lift. Now a days th internet has people believing any lean guy over 160 lbs lean is on steroids. Lol

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Mayb but probably not. I’ve known some people with impressive builds that don’t even lift. Now a days th internet has people believing any lean guy over 160 lbs lean is on steroids. Lol
Yeah but we also know the guy who says he knocked someone out in a fight....and you were at the fight and he landed a bunch but he never knocked anyone out

I'm also going off of it being Dorian...Dorian loves him some dorian, so I can see him exaggerating

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah but we also know the guy who says he knocked someone out in a fight....and you were at the fight and he landed a bunch but he never knocked anyone out

I'm also going off of it being Dorian...Dorian loves him some dorian, so I can see him exaggerating
No dount He very well
Could be. Also he didn’t say anything about not suing gear did he? Lol Maybe he’s one of those guys that start gear day one of training.

musclemaker

musclemaker

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you see movie stars, they often have amazing physical transformation within 4-6 months so it's definitely do able with hard work and dedication.

There is an Indian actor named Aamir Khan who went from fat to fit in just 5-6 months of training.
Most actors that are doing these amazing physical transformations are also using some "special" supplements.

Rockzilla

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Most actors that are doing these amazing physical transformations are also using some "special" supplements.
Most everyone are on “special supplements”. Including these “genetically gifted folks”. It was gear from the very beginning for all of them.

Mike Arnold

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

I had a similar amount of muscle mass (and bodyfat) after my first 6 months of serious lifting. I screwed around in high school, but didn't really gain any weight (maybe 10 lbs, but most of that was just natural growth from being a teenager and getting older) because I didn't train or eat for bodybuilding.

At age 22 (the same age Dorian is in that pic) I decided I wanted to train for bodybuilding, at which point I pout together a well thought out diet and training protocol. I went from 167 lbs (at 6'1) to 208 lbs in just 12 weeks...with roughly the same BF percentage...drug-free. It was a 41 lb gain. I used creatine and a weight gain supplement called Mega-Mass 4000. That stuff was total crap, but it did supply a lot of calories.

I got WAY stronger during that time (went from benching 226 X 6 to 315 for reps, added a couple hundred pounds to my deadlifts and squats, and increased all other lifts similarly) and looked pretty much what Dorian looked like there. Of course, my shape was different, but development and leanness was similar.

I continued lifting for another 9 months after that--not quite as serious as the first 12 weeks--and managed to put on another 22 drug-free pounds, putting my one year weight gain at 63 pounds. I was benching 400+ pounds by then, doing overhead presses with 300 pounds, etc.

By the time I started taking AAS I had already decided I wasn't going to pursue competitive bodybuilding and never really trained anywhere near as seriously after that. I managed to gain another 45+ pounds, eventually putting me in the 270's (520 bench, 385 overhead press, 700 dead, etc), but I had no motivation to go past that. I knew it would require rigorous attention to diet and consistent training, but at that point I had already begun losing motivation for bodybuilding. As I got older the way I looked just didn't matter to me as much anymore. My wife and daughter...and their future...became a much bigger priority to me.

Had I dedicated myself to getting as big as possible I am sure I could've reached 320ish' or so. I never had the genetics (shape and structure-wise) to do well in bodybuilding, though. I would look at myself when I was benching 500+ lbs, overhead pressing near 400 lbs, doing barbell rows with near 400 lbs, etc...and I didn't look anything like the pros, many of whom were significantly weaker than I was. Being 6'1 definitely had a lot to do with it. 6'1 guys generally need to hit at LEAST 320 in the off-season--lean--in order to do OK in competition. Even if I had gotten there, I had too many imbalances and relatively poor shape, so it wouldn't have mattered for me. For example, the biggest arms ever got, even when I was in the 270's, were 19 7/8 inches, yet my chest was as big as some of the pros I knew, and looked good too. I had full, round, hanging pecs like Arnold, Haney, or Coleman (similar shape). They weren't as big, of course, but they were much better than my arms. Imbalances and bodybuilding do not go well together.

Mike Arnold

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Oh yeah, there is that too. Haha.

But that's kind of the point still. Most of us suck at bodybuilding. Just because we can't imagine looking like that after 6 months doesn't mean someone with better genetics who is good at it can't do it easily. The guy probably gets bigger if he drives by a gym.
People also need to realize that Dorian was naturally lean when he started lifting. He didn't have to diet to get his BF that low. All he had to focus on was growth. While he certainly carries a good deal of muscle for someone with 6 months of training, he really isn't that big. Being as lean and well-shaped as he was made him look a LOT more muscular than he really is. He probably only weighed 180-190 lbs there. That's not that big when you're 5'10.5 inches tall.

Believe me when I say that there are a lot of guys out there who carry more muscle mass than that...at a similar height...with little to zero training. They just carry a lot more bodyfat and usually don't have the greatest underlying shape, either. I knew a 20 year old college ball player who was 6'2 and looked like Andre the Giant (frame-wise). He had just a massive frame--huge, thick bone structure. His rib-cage looked more like a keg of beer more than a normal person. I should also mention he was 320 lbs, drug-free, and only trained with weights immediately before football season started...because his coaches "made him". He didn't lift at all during the actual football season and would stay out of the gym until practice started again the following summer. He benched 350 lbs his first time laying down on a bench...and 500 lbs after 4 months of training. He never took a drug in his life. He didn't even care about gaining muscle. One time he said to me (at a time when I was trying hard to gain muscle mass and strength) that he wished he looked like me. At the time I said to him "are you nuts, I wish I looked like you!", but in his mind he just wanted to look normal. He thought he looked like a freak and the girls wanted nothing to do with him.

I guarantee you this guy carried WAY more muscle mass than Dorian did in this pic...probably 100 lbs more. He looked like he had an extra 40-50 lbs of fat on him than Dorian did, though, which is why I say 100 lbs. He probably weighed a good 140 lbs more than Dorian did there...at 20 years old.

So yes, it is absolutely possible for someone to carry as much muscle as Dorian did after 6 months of training. Most people who do just aren't as lean, nor are they as well-off in the shape department, so they don't look as "developed".

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
People also need to realize that Dorian was naturally lean when he started lifting. He didn't have to diet to get his BF that low. All he had to focus on was growth. While he certainly carries a good deal of muscle for someone with 6 months of training, he really isn't that big. Being as lean and well-shaped as he was made him look a LOT more muscular than he really is. He probably only weighed 180-190 lbs there. That's not that big when you're 5'10.5 inches tall.

Believe me when I say that there are a lot of guys out there who carry more muscle mass than that...at a similar height...with little to zero training. They just carry a lot more bodyfat and usually don't have the greatest underlying shape, either. I knew a 20 year old college ball player who was 6'2 and looked like Andre the Giant (frame-wise). He had just a massive frame--huge, thick bone structure. His rib-cage looked more like a keg of beer more than a normal person. I should also mention he was 320 lbs, drug-free, and only trained with weights immediately before football season started...because his coaches "made him". He didn't lift at all during the actual football season and would stay out of the gym until practice started again the following summer. He benched 350 lbs his first time laying down on a bench...and 500 lbs after 4 months of training. He never took a drug in his life. He didn't even care about gaining muscle. One time he said to me (at a time when I was trying hard to gain muscle mass and strength) that he wished he looked like me. At the time I said to him "are you nuts, I wish I looked like you!", but in his mind he just wanted to look normal. He thought he looked like a freak and the girls wanted nothing to do with him.

I guarantee you this guy carried WAY more muscle mass than Dorian did in this pic...probably 100 lbs more. He looked like he had an extra 40-50 lbs of fat on him than Dorian did, though, which is why I say 100 lbs. He probably weighed a good 140 lbs more than Dorian did there...at 20 years old.

So yes, it is absolutely possible for someone to carry as much muscle as Dorian did after 6 months of training. Most people who do just aren't as lean, nor are they as well-off in the shape department, so they don't look as "developed".
This is why I was asking before what people think he weighs in that pic. I bet 170-180 but he is LEAN. We have all these big numbers in our heads but we don't realize that being lean and having muscle shape can make a 180 pound guy look much bigger. Dorian at 260 lean looks MUCH bigger and more impressive than the guy we know who is 270 and 20% bodyfat.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I believe it, I put on a ton of size the first few months and added 100lbs to my bench and almost 200 to my squat and deadlift. It's called newb gains. After that initial reaction to training everything pretty much was stalled out till the first time I took gear

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established

They aren't doing it naturally

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
Most everyone are on “special supplements”. Including these “genetically gifted folks”. It was gear from the very beginning for all of them.
I don't know about that. It sounds like you're the type who thinks anyone who looks decent or better then you is juicing?

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
johnl1800

johnl1800

Awards
  • Established

No way am I buying that this guy could have ever accomplished this naturally especially when you consider that his birth date is listed as 1965 which currently has him at 53 years old. Even if he did this in his forties I'm still not buying it unless you flip the pictures and the one with him sporting a big belly is the "after" photo.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
That kid is in his prime , the pic is adding a little size. If that picture was further away and you were looking a bigger picture of the room as a whole with him in it, he would look like a lean kid with some muscle.

Talking about the Dorian picture.