Best Supplement for Shoulder/Neck Pain?

J

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For more than a decade my wife has had problems with shoulder pain that radiates into her neck as it gets worse. She thinks the problem is due to her 10+ years as a softball pitcher (hasn't pitched for more than 5 years). She sees a chiropractor on a regular basis and that seems to help for a little while after each treatment. However, we're looking for supplements (individual or stack) that could help too. I'm thinking some kind of anti-inflammatory but other than curcumin/boswellia I don't have much experience with those (especially some of the newer stacks companies have been putting out lately). Any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated.

B

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
Supplements other than highly addictive kratom or non addictive CBD can help reduce pain. However heavy duty soft tissue work in the armpit and in and under the lats and pec will remove the pain...restore mobility and let the area fall back into place as well as allow the chiro to get a much better adjustment and an adjustment that will stay in place and not get pulled right back in (the wrong) place.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have the same issue, it's more my trap up my neck up to my head and sometimes around the eye....I have yet to find something that has helped

i don't really like pain relievers but have yet to find anything OTC that really helps

for me anyway it's ultimately the muscles getting super tight so the chiro, massages help....at home I've made it a priority to foam roll, lacrosse ball roll and some posture movements with bands each night after i train to help elevate anything from getting too tight and painful

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Not sure why people look for supplements for stuff like this. I would get a foam roller, and roll EVERYTHING. Oftentimes with thing like this, there is a tight muscle somewhere that seems totally unrelated. For instance, I once had a shoulder problem that lasted for about 6 months. Lifting my arms, lateral movements, etc. all hurt - mostly in the front delt.

I started foam rolling and found that there was a spot between my spine and scapula that, if I hit it just right, I got an intense stabbing pain right in the front of my shoulder. It was unbelievable. My back felt fine, my front delt hurt and it was all coming from a tight muscle around my scapula.

Sometimes you will find a spot and work it and then as soon as you get up off the floor you notice improvement. It's worth a shot.

Also, eliminate sitting and hunching as much as possible. Maybe some yoga.

J

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not sure why people look for supplements for stuff like this. I would get a foam roller, and roll EVERYTHING. Oftentimes with thing like this, there is a tight muscle somewhere that seems totally unrelated. For instance, I once had a shoulder problem that lasted for about 6 months. Lifting my arms, lateral movements, etc. all hurt - mostly in the front delt.

I started foam rolling and found that there was a spot between my spine and scapula that, if I hit it just right, I got an intense stabbing pain right in the front of my shoulder. It was unbelievable. My back felt fine, my front delt hurt and it was all coming from a tight muscle around my scapula.

Sometimes you will find a spot and work it and then as soon as you get up off the floor you notice improvement. It's worth a shot.

Also, eliminate sitting and hunching as much as possible. Maybe some yoga.
I appreciate all the information. My wife is a former athletic trainer. So, she's already familiar with (and does everyday) foam rolling (with a roller and also uses one that looks like a tennis ball and another that looks like a dumbbell). She had to help athletes with similar issues in the past. So, between that and her education/training, she's very familiar with any form of rehab. She also does yoga daily. All of those things help. She's was just wondering if there are any good (and safe long-term) anti-inflammatory supplements that could help with that and other pain issues she has.

J

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have the same issue, it's more my trap up my neck up to my head and sometimes around the eye....I have yet to find something that has helped

i don't really like pain relievers but have yet to find anything OTC that really helps

for me anyway it's ultimately the muscles getting super tight so the chiro, massages help....at home I've made it a priority to foam roll, lacrosse ball roll and some posture movements with bands each night after i train to help elevate anything from getting too tight and painful
Yeah, rolling and the chiropractor seems to help the most. Sorry to hear you haven't found anything that helps your issues. She hasn't really tried any "natural" pain relievers. She only uses ibuprofen (or aleve, etc) when it gets bad. So, she asked if I knew of any supplements she could take along with all that to help. I mentioned curcumin and boswellia to her but was looking for other ideas on here.

J

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Supplements other than highly addictive kratom or non addictive CBD can help reduce pain. However heavy duty soft tissue work in the armpit and in and under the lats and pec will remove the pain...restore mobility and let the area fall back into place as well as allow the chiro to get a much better adjustment and an adjustment that will stay in place and not get pulled right back in (the wrong) place.
She doesn't want to take kratom (I use it almost daily for lower back and mood issues). We thought about trying cbd. I've used it in the past and it's "okay". I thought curcucmin worked better for pain. He daily exercises (as mentioned in another response she's a former athletic trainer and very familiar with rehab work...especially the use of foam rollers and similar items) do help but she would like to add a good anti-inflammatory to see if it helps more with that and other pain issues (likely causes by having to deal with our crazy kids on a daily basis).

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, rolling and the chiropractor seems to help the most. Sorry to hear you haven't found anything that helps your issues. She hasn't really tried any "natural" pain relievers. She only uses ibuprofen (or aleve, etc) when it gets bad. So, she asked if I knew of any supplements she could take along with all that to help. I mentioned curcumin and boswellia to her but was looking for other ideas on here.

Hi-Tech does make a product called Pain-RX, it has boswellia in it but i can't really put my 100% backing on it....ibuprofen works better on the really bad days...so if the pain is intense i have found that pain-rx doesn't touch the discomfort...however for a day that's not that intense and i have to get something done, it works ok

J

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hi-Tech does make a product called Pain-RX, it has boswellia in it but i can't really put my 100% backing on it....ibuprofen works better on the really bad days...so if the pain is intense i have found that pain-rx doesn't touch the discomfort...however for a day that's not that intense and i have to get something done, it works ok
Thanks man. I'll check it out.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
For more than a decade my wife has had problems with shoulder pain that radiates into her neck as it gets worse. She thinks the problem is due to her 10+ years as a softball pitcher (hasn't pitched for more than 5 years). She sees a chiropractor on a regular basis and that seems to help for a little while after each treatment. However, we're looking for supplements (individual or stack) that could help too. I'm thinking some kind of anti-inflammatory but other than curcumin/boswellia I don't have much experience with those (especially some of the newer stacks companies have been putting out lately). Any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated.
SNS has both Joint support xt as well as cissus xt that could certainly be of use here. My mom actually has suimilar "radiating" type neck/upper back pain and she has had good results with these in the past (they actually helped to improve long term for her as well as she is currently not taking anything - ran 2 bottles of each back to back - and is still feeling good 2 months post)

B

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
She doesn't want to take kratom (I use it almost daily for lower back and mood issues). We thought about trying cbd. I've used it in the past and it's "okay". I thought curcucmin worked better for pain. He daily exercises (as mentioned in another response she's a former athletic trainer and very familiar with rehab work...especially the use of foam rollers and similar items) do help but she would like to add a good anti-inflammatory to see if it helps more with that and other pain issues (likely causes by having to deal with our crazy kids on a daily basis).
Well if she has not done the tissue work i mentioned...i would try that as it resolves these problems in almost every case. Aside from that...its in her head....i mean stress response is causing muscle tightness. In over 25 years of working with atheletes...i have never seen a case that was not one or both of these cases.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ergopharm Joint Force is a good product that has topical pain killing properties. Evomuse Injure-Eeze is a similar product with some additional ingredients/upgrades.

Also, consistent use of apigenin may be of interest.

StatePlan1425

StatePlan1425

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ergopharm Joint Force is a good product that has topical pain killing properties. Evomuse Injure-Eeze is a similar product with some additional ingredients/upgrades.

Also, consistent use of apigenin may be of interest.
Second vote for Joint Force or Injure-Eeze. We keep several bottles stocked for our athletes.

Edit: I should note that we’ve only used the Ergopharm version but I believe Evomuse produces their version on license from PA (in addition to some extra as mentioned above) I’d recommend either.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Second vote for Joint Force or Injure-Eeze. We keep several bottles stocked for our athletes.

Edit: I should note that we’ve only used the Ergopharm version but I believe Evomuse produces their version on license from PA (in addition to some extra as mentioned above) I’d recommend either.
Yes, the Injure-Eeze actually uses the joint force base and is licensed from PA.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Can't go wrong with the above mentioned products. I've used Joint Force before and liked it so if you haven't tried it, it maybe be worth a shot to try.