Recomp: Supps, Meal Plan, Workouts

JYD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Overall, can anyone point me in a direction with links on a good page that has an “all in one” approach to a recomp?

I’m 5’10”, 180, a little bit of BF, maybe 21%, and want to keep size, a little more muscle, but lean out a bit. 42 year old. Overall, I’m in good shape and hormones are as well.

I definitely need to recomp my belly/gut.

What are good supps?

I really wanna know how to change my diet, and I already meal prep weekly, but I nuff need to know how much to eat or how little carbs to eat and when.

Also, I workout 4-5 days a week and will start to add cardio 3 day’s a week.

Advice?

Thanks.

all4gains

all4gains

Awards
L-carnitine supplement will help burn fat quick. If taking a liquid L-carnitine I would take 1 serving in morning before fasted cardio & core workout. This will help burn a lot of fat and keep the metabolism going through out the day. I use this when my dirty bulk gets outta hand.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Imo a true recomp can’t be achieved without steroids for most people in normal situations.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Invictus...great for belly fat!!!

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
L-carnitine supplement will help burn fat quick. If taking a liquid L-carnitine I would take 1 serving in morning before fasted cardio & core workout. This will help burn a lot of fat and keep the metabolism going through out the day. I use this when my dirty bulk gets outta hand.
I know injectable L-carnitine works well (watching Matt porter use it). Didn’t think oral was worth it.

OP, I would start reducing calories slowly. Cut down 25g cho (100 calories) keep protein at 1g per lb of LBM and fats around 0.45g-0.5g per lb of LBM.

Weight yourself weekly, if you loose weight with the incremental loss of Cho then keep it until you stall again. Muscle retention is key when trying to lose BF.

DaeshDontSurf

DaeshDontSurf

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Imo a true recomp can’t be achieved without steroids for most people in normal situations.
i liked post but maybe not go as far - but definite way not economical for any natural that has been *training a while*. it take forever compare to cut/clean bulk. it good for people who are generally happy where are, and not life depend on body look. it good for not wanting to always be hungry, but not want more fat. it actually great method for "real life" person with discipline - always look good and not hungry. but for going from 20% to 15%, 12%...just cut. won't lose much, if any, muscle if keep protein high and lift heavy weights - and any loss comes back after resume new maintenance do to "memory" effect.

JYD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ok, all great suggestions, guys. Thank you!

I've taken FD2 before;will try again. I have a friend that takes FD2 permanently; but he's a pro bbuilder.

Vector I've tried, but had to stop because I can't sleep well on it, so it's not worth having crappy sleep. Wish that wasn't the case as I like BLR products. My friend has the same issue with Vector.

I've never really counted calories, fat, protein before, so this will be an adjustment on learning to measure every damn thing and read all the labels. Ha!

Any suggestions on a workout program? Cheers.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
PHAT, PH3 by Layne Norton. I am a fan of his programs

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I usually never recommend somebody doing a recomp naturally. Everybody is different, but here is why:

Results come very slow and can be discouraging for many people. We live in a “right now” kind of world. Cutting or bulking- the results come much quicker. Especially if diet and training are on point. At 21% BF I would recommend a cut. This doesn’t have to be some crazy 16 week cut. That can be exhausting for the average person who doesn’t compete. I RARELY recomp for that reason. With my work schedule and after work activities, it would drive me crazy to stay extremely strict on diet for a long cut.

I suggest cutting until you can visibly see some sort of abdominal muscles then do a lean bulk. I actually prefer lean bulks over recomp. For me, they are pretty much the same process workout wise (weights with some cardio) but more calories. Allows me a little bit more freedom in my food.

Good luck!

ironkill

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I always run a recomp as more of a mini cut for 4-6 weeks. usually about midway through a bulk if its been too dirty. Just to clean it up a bit, drop a little fat and then get back on the gain train. I never expect to gain on a "recomp"

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Overall, can anyone point me in a direction with links on a good page that has an “all in one” approach to a recomp?

I’m 5’10”, 180, a little bit of BF, maybe 21%, and want to keep size, a little more muscle, but lean out a bit. 42 year old. Overall, I’m in good shape and hormones are as well.

I definitely need to recomp my belly/gut.

What are good supps?

I really wanna know how to change my diet, and I already meal prep weekly, but I nuff need to know how much to eat or how little carbs to eat and when.

Also, I workout 4-5 days a week and will start to add cardio 3 day’s a week.

Advice?

Thanks.
So you essentially are looking for a coach to custom fit an entire plan for you, because to successfully recomp you cannot follow a cookie cutter layout. And your nutrition needs to be airtight. Also like mentioned before, a true recomp will probably require drugs. You can get great results by dropping some fat and building some muscle naturally, but to lose fat and gain muscle pound for pound, that requires a program fit to your body with almost no margin for error.

If just looking for a program to run that goes over nutrition, supplementation and training check out fortitude training by Dr Scott Stevenson. It has alot of detail and great info for $20

JYD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So you essentially are looking for a coach to custom fit an entire plan for you, because to successfully recomp you cannot follow a cookie cutter layout. And your nutrition needs to be airtight. Also like mentioned before, a true recomp will probably require drugs. You can get great results by dropping some fat and building some muscle naturally, but to lose fat and gain muscle pound for pound, that requires a program fit to your body with almost no margin for error.

If just looking for a program to run that goes over nutrition, supplementation and training check out fortitude training by Dr Scott Stevenson. It has alot of detail and great info for $20
Ok, great. ...I appreciate all the suggestions, fellas and advice on looking at a cut/lean bulk vs. recomp. Yes, I'm trying to do this without drugs; maybe use somethings OTC that might help.

Cheers.

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I know injectable L-carnitine works well (watching Matt porter use it). Didn’t think oral was worth it.

OP, I would start reducing calories slowly. Cut down 25g cho (100 calories) keep protein at 1g per lb of LBM and fats around 0.45g-0.5g per lb of LBM.

Weight yourself weekly, if you loose weight with the incremental loss of Cho then keep it until you stall again. Muscle retention is key when trying to lose BF.
Sounds like you really need to get your diet in check. Tyga Tyga's advice is a good starting point on your daily macros. Besides creatine and caffeine, supplements aren't going to do too much if you don't have nutrition dialed in. And I agree with R1balla that you should do a cut first at 21% BF.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok, great. ...I appreciate all the suggestions, fellas and advice on looking at a cut/lean bulk vs. recomp. Yes, I'm trying to do this without drugs; maybe use somethings OTC that might help.

Cheers.
What supplements are you currently taking?

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Cheers.
If your looking for coaching, reach out I may know a few. As far as diet and supps, if you post your daily the members may be able to aid you in this. There are several great guys with a wealth of knowldge on the boards.