What supplements do you use that goes against what science says?

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As I finished off a tub of L-Glutamine last night I thought to myself "Hmm, I know the consensus is this stuff doesn't work, but what else do people use or don't use that goes against what science says" I know people these days lose their minds in the word of science but do you do anything that goes against the grain?

Example:

Using L-Glutamine, btw I won't be using it ever again
I know Beta Alanine works but I absolutely hate how it feels so I refuse to use it
I also don't buy into the blended protein powder craze

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
All blended protein powder like say casein and whey is slower absorption rates. Just like if you eat cottage cheese before bed or take a form of casein, itll stay in your system most of the night versus whey which is gone in two hours or so

Glutamine really doesnt go against science, it boost the immune system and helps the gut and intestines so soothing my stomach is enough for me.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As I finished off a tub of L-Glutamine last night I thought to myself "Hmm, I know the consensus is this stuff doesn't work, but what else do people use or don't use that goes against what science says" I know people these days lose their minds in the word of science but do you do anything that goes against the grain?

Example:

Using L-Glutamine, btw I won't be using it ever again
I know Beta Alanine works but I absolutely hate how it feels so I refuse to use it
I also don't buy into the blended protein powder craze
Like John said, glutamine isn't actually useless per se, just not really a muscle builder. It can be good for the immune system and gut. Alanylglutamine may have some intra-workout benefits though haha.

As for beta alanine, have you tried taking it with meals? Research actually suggests that taking it with meals enhances carnosine loading. And we know it can also minimize the tingles, so it may be a win-win for you. If you can have 1-2g with a few meals per day, you should be set.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23439427

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
L-Glutamine has done wonders to help stablize my gut - which makes everything else work better. I use at least 20 grams daily in two servings. At 50 plus years of age, I can appreciate supplements like L-Glutamine.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Also, HMB sometimes gets some hate, but there is some non-Wilson research on the old/cheap calcium HMB, and the bulk powder is cheap, so when I really want to turn up the volume/frequency, I use some.

ryanp81

ryanp81

Awards
  • Established
Also, HMB sometimes gets some hate, but there is some non-Wilson research on the old/cheap calcium HMB, and the bulk powder is cheap, so when I really want to turn up the volume/frequency, I use some.
HMB sucks at building muscle but it works for people who have muscle wasting diseases and are in stages of critical illness, also, there's evidence that it can slow and even mitigate the effects of sarcopenia.

I remember way back in the day exchanging emails with Ryan from Blackstarlabs talking about HMB and one of the things he mentioned hospitals (not sure if U.S.) where using intravenous HMB, L-glut and L-arg to burn victims. The BSL Nitrojet was the ****...it had D-gluconic HMB and bunch of other goodies.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
HMB sucks at building muscle but it works for people who have muscle wasting diseases and are in stages of critical illness, also, there's evidence that it can slow and even mitigate the effects of sarcopenia.

I remember way back in the day exchanging emails with Ryan from Blackstarlabs talking about HMB and one of the things he mentioned hospitals (not sure if U.S.) where using intravenous HMB, L-glut and L-arg to burn victims. The BSL Nitrojet was the ****...it had D-gluconic HMB and bunch of other goodies.
Notice how I didn't say I use it for building muscle per se, but take advantage of it's ANTI-CATABOLIC effects to allow me to train with more volume and/or frequency, which is what would help me build more muscle.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I take DAA on and off. Some studies say those that are athletic yield no gain from DAA, but I just dont know if I believe a blanket statement like that.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I take DAA on and off. Some studies say those that are athletic yield no gain from DAA, but I just dont know if I believe a blanket statement like that.
Do you use it in/after PCT? Or are you older and/or have low-T? It could work if one of those were true.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Do you use it in/after PCT? Or are you older and/or have low-T? It could work if one of those were true.
Not on PCT, and I probably have moderate T levels. I feel as though my libido is higher, and gym endurance is higher on it. It is cheap, and if it yields even a slight T increase, I'm okay because after using hormones foolishly in the past, I dont plan on using hormones until I need TRT.

Bignick31985

Awards
Not really something against what science says, but the opposite. When I take Creatine for a few weeks (5g/day) I get unbearably sore no matter how much water I drink. So I guess science says it works and is good, but not for me, lol.

I enjoy beta-alanine in my pre-workout though. Not sure if it helps, but I like the tingle.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Not really something against what science says, but the opposite. When I take Creatine for a few weeks (5g/day) I get unbearably sore no matter how much water I drink. So I guess science says it works and is good, but not for me, lol.

I enjoy beta-alanine in my pre-workout though. Not sure if it helps, but I like the tingle.
You may need some taurine in your diet.

Bignick31985

Awards
How much? I generally have a Rockstar (with taurine) at least twice a week. Unsure if that amount is ample.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
How much? I generally have a Rockstar (with taurine) at least twice a week. Unsure if that amount is ample.
3 to 5g daily. Make sure you have a good salt intake. So not just a lot of water by itself. Water bt itself flushes electrolytes and nutrients. Water, plus salt, plus other minerals will help.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Like John said, glutamine isn't actually useless per se, just not really a muscle builder. It can be good for the immune system and gut. Alanylglutamine may have some intra-workout benefits though haha.

As for beta alanine, have you tried taking it with meals? Research actually suggests that taking it with meals enhances carnosine loading. And we know it can also minimize the tingles, so it may be a win-win for you. If you can have 1-2g with a few meals per day, you should be set.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23439427
yeah even the smallest amount of beta alanine with or without food makes me feel like trash....the tingles are the worst, but I also seem to get a neck/headache when I take it, I avoid it at all costs, the benefits are not worth it imo

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yeah even the smallest amount of beta alanine with or without food makes me feel like trash....the tingles are the worst, but I also seem to get a neck/headache when I take it, I avoid it at all costs, the benefits are not worth it imo
Wow. Definitely not worth it if it makes you feel bad multiple times a day.

bstrong77

Awards
HMB is the best thing next to Creatine, great for recomp! Forskolin as well.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wow. Definitely not worth it if it makes you feel bad multiple times a day.
Yep...maybe in my 20s I'd deal with it but now in my 30s it's not worth it

For example i used to love all the crazy stimulant products but as I get older...they just don't agree with me how they used to so I tend to shy away from the crazy stuff