Dosing this forskolin supplement

Rockzilla

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It’s a 120 capsule 60 serving bottle at 20% forskolin(500mgs) per 2 capsules. This was cheap.

Should I just dose 2 pills and get another bottle so I can’t do 12 weeks at 100mgs?

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The known rate-limiting factor in forskolin's bioavailbility is its solubility. Forskolin is basically insoluble in water, so dry forskolin has extremely poor oral bioavailability. In this respect, it may be worse than any other ingredient in common use. That is to say, bioavailability well under 1% is a safe bet.

And there's an unknown factor, a wild-card: Nobody knows how forskolin is metabolized in vivo. The small fraction that's absorbed could be subject to an almost complete first-pass effect.

For these reasons, I wouldn't recommend forskolin.
According to Jake Antaeus...it is essentially not bioavailable. The only thing it might do for you is give you GI distress since your body can’t process it.

I used to buy into the hype on Forskolin... (F95), but never experienced any benefit. Now I know why...

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
According to Jake Antaeus...it is essentially not bioavailable. The only thing it might do for you is give you GI distress since your body can’t process it.

I used to buy into the hype on Forskolin... (F95), but never experienced any benefit. Now I know why...
So what is his refutation to the human studies?

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So what is his refutation to the human studies?
Good question...

There seems to be some positive in vivo human studies. Quite possible that he was off the mark with this one....who knows..

Personally, I would not mind using F95 again in a blend, but my days of buying it as a solo ingredient and dosing up to 100mg/day are certainly over. It just had no appreciable affect for me.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don't buy the bio availability stuff - as muscleupcrohn said, it has positive human studies which negates the bio availability issues. I think the bio-availability thing is often over used as a marketing ploy. I also think the 95% forskolin thing is a misguided marketing ploy. The reason people take 95% is to avoid gastro-intestinal distress. But that is backwards. Forskolin increases cAMP, which causes increased stomach motility and draws water into the intestines - and this causes the distress. The more pure the forskolin is, the faster this increase will occur and thus the more distress you can potentially create. I've personally ONLY had distress issues with 95% extracts. 20-60% extracts cause little effect (maybe slight) on me, even at doses of 200 mg of active forskolin from 1 gram of extract.

The other issue here is, the foskolin may not NEED to be absorbed. It could increase cAMP in the gut itself - and the cAMP would be absorbed from there....so the forskolin could pass through even and if it had that effect it would be good enough.

Dosing, for me, is 200 mg a day. That's my sweet spot. More has little added benefit and I don't see the benefits until about that point....maybe 150 mg. I've also used a lot of cheap extracts that did nothing. A quality 20-40% extract that actually contains what it says is good enough for me.

Rockzilla

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't buy the bio availability stuff - as muscleupcrohn said, it has positive human studies which negates the bio availability issues. I think the bio-availability thing is often over used as a marketing ploy. I also think the 95% forskolin thing is a misguided marketing ploy. The reason people take 95% is to avoid gastro-intestinal distress. But that is backwards. Forskolin increases cAMP, which causes increased stomach motility and draws water into the intestines - and this causes the distress. The more pure the forskolin is, the faster this increase will occur and thus the more distress you can potentially create. I've personally ONLY had distress issues with 95% extracts. 20-60% extracts cause little effect (maybe slight) on me, even at doses of 200 mg of active forskolin from 1 gram of extract.

The other issue here is, the foskolin may not NEED to be absorbed. It could increase cAMP in the gut itself - and the cAMP would be absorbed from there....so the forskolin could pass through even and if it had that effect it would be good enough.

Dosing, for me, is 200 mg a day. That's my sweet spot. More has little added benefit and I don't see the benefits until about that point....maybe 150 mg. I've also used a lot of cheap extracts that did nothing. A quality 20-40% extract that actually contains what it says is good enough for me.
Interesting I have read that someone has dosed higher than 100mgs extract but little was saw after that dosage.

Yeah I once tried PES F95. And it was more expensive than this and I didn’t really feel anything from it it’s also only a 30 day supply at 50mg as opposed to this supplements 100mg dosage for 60 days.

I’m gonna agree that F95 is definitely a scam. Forskolin, F95 or not has always made me poop a little faster, so has caffeine. That tops the “GI” distress I suffer.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Maybe my problem was that I always went with the “premium” F95 supplements from PES and OL. Neither of which caused me any GI distress...or perceivable benefit.

Interesting info about the 20-40% range extracts quite possibly being superior..

Rockzilla

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Maybe my problem was that I always went with the “premium” F95 supplements from PES and OL. Neither of which caused me any GI distress...or perceivable benefit.

Interesting info about the 20-40% range extracts quite possibly being superior..
The studies use the lower extract. There could be things that effect the success of it. Perhaps more of the plant allows the extract to go through the digestive system? Perhaps the plant when disgested is also further broken down into what we metabolize?

cojack252

Awards
Have used supremacy with great results ,and not to much gi discomfort.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you are new to forskolin - 95, I suggest starting at 50mg and working your way up. Some products, like Alphamax, have 50mg if it already. Then you can asses your tolerance and bump up the dosage. Most people use around 100mg per day. Like I said before, the suggested length of time is 12 weeks.