Tetradecylthioacetic acid (TTA)

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. *facepalm*

Dude, at 80 she needs to make lifestyle changes NOT a supplement. Not to mention Iím sure sheís taking pharmaceuticals at her age (common theme with the elderly) I wouldnít suggest any supplements

Frequent walking with smarter food choices and sheíll be headed in the right direction.
    Psalms 62:1-62:2

2. Quote Originally Posted by Nac View Post
    @Synapsin has claimed a few times that TTA shouldnt be used by someone with a "heart condition"; Im not sure exactly what he was basing this on but I trusted him. He may clarify if he gets this notification.
    Quote Originally Posted by HIT4ME View Post
    I trust him too - and I would assume, as I said above, it is because increased use of lipids as a substrate for energy is a factor/cause of heart disease. I am basing this entirely on theory; but it would be interesting if he has any hard evidence in addition too this. The theory is enough for me though - it's not just made up. It is pretty well accepted that increased lipid metabolism in cardiac tissue is detrimental.

Hi guys. TTA to my knowledge when I posted that (and I haven't really followed up since then due to lack of interest) only had one study in healthy humans for safety, and it was only 7 days (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18427285).

On top of what hit4me said (which is correct and part of my reasoning), in animal models it can reduce cardiac efficiency (https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...22282807008528). This appears to be only relevant for those with a reperfusion injury or a history of ischaemic heart disease (obvious when you consider what TTA does), and in healthy individuals (note: most people don't know if they have any "cardiac issues"), the baroreceptor reflex would kick in. The only long term studies I know that demonstrate TTA isn't dangerous at a 1g dose or so (a common dose) are on diabetics populations (mice and humans). Take it with a grain of salt as always.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Synapsin View Post
    Hi guys. TTA to my knowledge when I posted that (and I haven't really followed up since then due to lack of interest) only had one study in healthy humans for safety, and it was only 7 days (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18427285).

On top of what hit4me said (which is correct and part of my reasoning), in animal models it can reduce cardiac efficiency (https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...22282807008528). This appears to be only relevant for those with a reperfusion injury or a history of ischaemic heart disease (obvious when you consider what TTA does), and in healthy individuals (note: most people don't know if they have any "cardiac issues"), the baroreceptor reflex would kick in. The only long term studies I know that demonstrate TTA isn't dangerous at a 1g dose or so (a common dose) are on diabetics populations (mice and humans). Take it with a grain of salt as always.
    Lol, you remind me of something I read where someone quoted a cardiologist saying that the first time a cardiologist hears that a patient may be having problems is after the patient has died.

Pistol Pete Maravich played an entire NBA career with a pretty severe cardiac abnormality and then died playing a pick up game. He hadn't played on years, met some friends to play and he said to one of the guys, "This is fun. I need to start doing this again."

The friend said, "Yeah? How do you feel"

Pistol Pete replied, "I feel great. I just feel great!"

The guy said he turned around as he said that and looked as Pete fell flat on his face.
    "I've never seen anyone change his mind because of the power of a superior argument or the acquisition of new facts. But I've seen plenty of people change behavior to avoid being mocked." -Scott Adams

4. Quote Originally Posted by tyga tyga View Post
    *facepalm*

Dude, at 80 she needs to make lifestyle changes NOT a supplement. Not to mention Iím sure sheís taking pharmaceuticals at her age (common theme with the elderly) I wouldnít suggest any supplements

Frequent walking with smarter food choices and sheíll be headed in the right direction.
    As Iíve already said, Iím working with her on improving her diet. Thatís the first and main thing Iím doing. Iím asking questions about supps to try to help make the journey easier for her. Itís not to allow her to do nothing about her diet.

Also as Iíve already said, her joints arenít in a good state. Walking is painful for her and she can only walk very slowly so lots of walking is out of the question until her joints get better.

I get what you mean about the meds sheís taking and Iíll find out exactly what sheís taking and research what they interact with.
    But I bet there are some good joint supps that she can take which would make her joints better. Along the same lines, Iím sure there are other things which she can safely take to make things a little bit better. If itís just omega 3s and grean tea extract, so be it.
  5. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

Quote Originally Posted by u_e_s_i View Post
    As I’ve already said, I’m working with her on improving her diet. That’s the first and main thing I’m doing. I’m asking questions about supps to try to help make the journey easier for her. It’s not to allow her to do nothing about her diet.

Also as I’ve already said, her joints aren’t in a good state. Walking is painful for her and she can only walk very slowly so lots of walking is out of the question until her joints get better.

I get what you mean about the meds she’s taking and I’ll find out exactly what she’s taking and research what they interact with.
    But I bet there are some good joint supps that she can take which would make her joints better. Along the same lines, I’m sure there are other things which she can safely take to make things a little bit better. If it’s just omega 3s and grean tea extract, so be it.
    Green Tea Extracts effects on joints are about as potent as they are for fatloss........Next to nothing.

At 80 years old you aren't going to find an OTC joint product that is going to work miracles on the ederly.
    Again you spend way too much money and time trying to invest in pills that you think are going to turn the world around when the biggest issue here is her diet.

It doesn't matter how much money you want to spend on supplements the total impact it will make on changing her dietary habits, diabetes, and joint pain are going to be minimal. You need to take a step back from the pills man.
    Your post history is a total red flag on how much you overthink such small aspects that dont make enough impact on the big picture.
    Anabolic Minds Site Rep
    www.anabolicminds.com
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by u_e_s_i View Post
    As I’ve already said, I’m working with her on improving her diet. That’s the first and main thing I’m doing. I’m asking questions about supps to try to help make the journey easier for her. It’s not to allow her to do nothing about her diet.

Also as I’ve already said, her joints aren’t in a good state. Walking is painful for her and she can only walk very slowly so lots of walking is out of the question until her joints get better.

I get what you mean about the meds she’s taking and I’ll find out exactly what she’s taking and research what they interact with.
    But I bet there are some good joint supps that she can take which would make her joints better. Along the same lines, I’m sure there are other things which she can safely take to make things a little bit better. If it’s just omega 3s and grean tea extract, so be it.
    look at joint mechanic w/Mireva
    ICONIC FORMULATIONS REPRESENTATIVE

use code THEBIGT for 25% off

7. Quote Originally Posted by u_e_s_i View Post

You seem to really care about this person and want to help. That is a good thing. My grandmother is 92 and hasn't been able to stand from a chair in about 5 years unless someone helps her. When she started losing her ability to stand and walk, and I saw my dad limping around on bad knees in his 60's and then realized I was 5'8'x and 300+ in my 30's, it clicked. There is a path. And it is even more brutal than just dying. It is full of pain and inability and loss of self respect.

Making changes in my 30's has been a hard road. I have a lot of failures. I have had to fight for every inch and everytime I let up, I lost so much if the ground I had taken. Someone who is 80, with diabetes, joint pain, etc. Is going to have a really, really hard time turning that ship around.

I say this not so that you give up hope and stop helping. But you need to have perspective here. While you are trying to make things easier with supplements, you aren't being honest with yourself about how hard it will be - there is nothing that really makes it easy. And you need to be honest with you so you can be honest and understanding with her.

So, if there is a supplement out there that will help an 80 year old, be appropriate, and not be a risk of harming her, and really make things easier, then most of us on here don't know it and we are all kind of into supplements. Doesn't mean it isn't out there - but it probably means that you aren't going to find it in a capsule with a label on it. You are going to have to dig deep and find something that none of us know about that is likely not commercially available, and you will have to source/make yourself.

And of course...you would have to test it to make sure it actually was what you thought, which will cost thousands of dollars.

Plus, if you do find such an ingredient, since so few know about it, safety and interactions,etc. Will likely have not been studied, so you are back to square 1.

And if you are sourcing it and don't know what it us, it could be dangerous and safety is a bigger problem.

Add in all the studies showing that a huge number of supplements contain illegal DRUGS and ingredients that aren't disclosed on the label = more risk.

You are simply wasting a lot of time on things that at best make a 5% difference (being kind) and at worst will kill her, put her in the hospital, etc.

I understand the desire to help....I spend a ton if time researching to help people... but if you have heard of it or it is already available, it probably isn't going to be appropriate - especially without knowing every drug she takes already.
    "I've never seen anyone change his mind because of the power of a superior argument or the acquisition of new facts. But I've seen plenty of people change behavior to avoid being mocked." -Scott Adams

8. Quote Originally Posted by HIT4ME View Post
    You seem to really care about this person and want to help. That is a good thing. My grandmother is 92 and hasn't been able to stand from a chair in about 5 years unless someone helps her. When she started losing her ability to stand and walk, and I saw my dad limping around on bad knees in his 60's and then realized I was 5'8'x and 300+ in my 30's, it clicked. There is a path. And it is even more brutal than just dying. It is full of pain and inability and loss of self respect.

Making changes in my 30's has been a hard road. I have a lot of failures. I have had to fight for every inch and everytime I let up, I lost so much if the ground I had taken. Someone who is 80, with diabetes, joint pain, etc. Is going to have a really, really hard time turning that ship around.

I say this not so that you give up hope and stop helping. But you need to have perspective here. While you are trying to make things easier with supplements, you aren't being honest with yourself about how hard it will be - there is nothing that really makes it easy. And you need to be honest with you so you can be honest and understanding with her.

So, if there is a supplement out there that will help an 80 year old, be appropriate, and not be a risk of harming her, and really make things easier, then most of us on here don't know it and we are all kind of into supplements. Doesn't mean it isn't out there - but it probably means that you aren't going to find it in a capsule with a label on it. You are going to have to dig deep and find something that none of us know about that is likely not commercially available, and you will have to source/make yourself.

And of course...you would have to test it to make sure it actually was what you thought, which will cost thousands of dollars.

Plus, if you do find such an ingredient, since so few know about it, safety and interactions,etc. Will likely have not been studied, so you are back to square 1.

And if you are sourcing it and don't know what it us, it could be dangerous and safety is a bigger problem.

Add in all the studies showing that a huge number of supplements contain illegal DRUGS and ingredients that aren't disclosed on the label = more risk.

You are simply wasting a lot of time on things that at best make a 5% difference (being kind) and at worst will kill her, put her in the hospital, etc.

I understand the desire to help....I spend a ton if time researching to help people... but if you have heard of it or it is already available, it probably isn't going to be appropriate - especially without knowing every drug she takes already.
    Respect for making the change man.

One of the reasons why I’m looking for stuff that’ll make things easier for her is because I appreciate how hard making such a change is. There are tens of millions of 20, 30 and 40 something years old out there who’ve been trying to lose a significant amount of weight for years but who haven’t managed to. Compared to an 80 year old they’re younger, their metabolisms are faster, they can do considerably more exercise, their ways and habits are less ingrained and they have better access to knowledge and expertise, and yet they still struggle to shed the fat. The fact that my grandma also had part of her lungs removed to rid her of my cancer doesn’t help.
    I understand that completely changing her diet and sticking with it will be tough for my grandma and so I want some things to compensate (or least somewhat) for her lapses.
    I appreciate that it’ll be hard for her and at the end of the day, my words can only do so much. I can’t and wouldn’t force her. She’ll have to knuckle down. What I can do, is offer her a few advantages and I’ll do what I can.

The thing with the vast majority of doctors, is that whilst they’re knowledgeable about how to treat problems with pharmaceuticals, they’ve never learnt or read much about supplements and wouldn’t be able to recommend anything more illusive than vitamins and minerals.
    Additionally, in countries like the one where my grandparents live, China, it’s know that pharmaceutical companies give doctors commission for prescribing their drugs as so doctors are reluctant to do anything but, especially is it may solve the person’s problems for good.
    Theres a metaphor for how the pharmaceutical industry works. If there’s a man who’s starving and who can’t feed himself, you can make some money by teaching him to farm and fish, thus solving his problem. However, you can make more money buy selling him food indefinitely.
    On this forum, I’ve seen people say that this or that supplement helped to solve their chronic pain or treat their chronic injuries. Such things should transfer well for use by older people in most cases.

I appreciate your kind words, concern and knowledge and I assure you I will be very careful. With this, I’m not willing to take evident risks and fortunately things like glucosamine, chondroitin, curcumin and cysteine are very unlikely to have adverse effects, but nonetheless I’ll go through all of her medications’ lists of interactions

9. Quote Originally Posted by u_e_s_i View Post
    Respect for making the change man.

One of the reasons why I’m looking for stuff that’ll make things easier for her is because I appreciate how hard making such a change is. There are tens of millions of 20, 30 and 40 something years old out there who’ve been trying to lose a significant amount of weight for years but who haven’t managed to. Compared to an 80 year old they’re younger, their metabolisms are faster, they can do considerably more exercise, their ways and habits are less ingrained and they have better access to knowledge and expertise, and yet they still struggle to shed the fat. The fact that my grandma also had part of her lungs removed to rid her of my cancer doesn’t help.
    I understand that completely changing her diet and sticking with it will be tough for my grandma and so I want some things to compensate (or least somewhat) for her lapses.
    I appreciate that it’ll be hard for her and at the end of the day, my words can only do so much. I can’t and wouldn’t force her. She’ll have to knuckle down. What I can do, is offer her a few advantages and I’ll do what I can.

The thing with the vast majority of doctors, is that whilst they’re knowledgeable about how to treat problems with pharmaceuticals, they’ve never learnt or read much about supplements and wouldn’t be able to recommend anything more illusive than vitamins and minerals.
    Additionally, in countries like the one where my grandparents live, China, it’s know that pharmaceutical companies give doctors commission for prescribing their drugs as so doctors are reluctant to do anything but, especially is it may solve the person’s problems for good.
    Theres a metaphor for how the pharmaceutical industry works. If there’s a man who’s starving and who can’t feed himself, you can make some money by teaching him to farm and fish, thus solving his problem. However, you can make more money buy selling him food indefinitely.
    On this forum, I’ve seen people say that this or that supplement helped to solve their chronic pain or treat their chronic injuries. Such things should transfer well for use by older people in most cases.

I appreciate your kind words, concern and knowledge and I assure you I will be very careful. With this, I’m not willing to take evident risks and fortunately things like glucosamine, chondroitin, curcumin and cysteine are very unlikely to have adverse effects, but nonetheless I’ll go through all of her medications’ lists of interactions
    I get where you are coming from, but focusing on nutrition isn't just, "You have to eat plain chicken and broccoli and egg whites and nothing else or you are unhealthy." Focusing on nutrition means finding some kind of pattern she LIKES maintaining.

And she isn't trying to perform at a high level - just perform.

Fun fact - a lot of the supplements you just mentioned as "unlikely to do harm" could be highly detrimental and kill many 80 year olds.

For instance, if your grandmother is like mine and many other people her age, and takes Warfarin, then glucosamine, chondroitin and curcumin are all out of the question and could lead to serious complications.

10. guys i love TTA... last summer i use this and it was very good !i did not find sns tta 500 ,and i was ordered BULK tta.. this **** works .WATCH OUT !for me tta didnt help me to lose fat but ,when i was started to eat some junk food (on my vacations) ,TTA kept me much more leaner than other time.so i believe that TTA is very good for lean bulk diets

11. Quote Originally Posted by HIT4ME View Post
    I get where you are coming from, but focusing on nutrition isn't just, "You have to eat plain chicken and broccoli and egg whites and nothing else or you are unhealthy." Focusing on nutrition means finding some kind of pattern she LIKES maintaining.

Fun fact - a lot of the supplements you just mentioned as "unlikely to do harm" could be highly detrimental and kill many 80 year olds.

For instance, if your grandmother is like mine and many other people her age, and takes Warfarin, then glucosamine, chondroitin and curcumin are all out of the question and could lead to serious complications.
    Quote Originally Posted by HIT4ME View Post

I know, I’ll work with her on creating a diet that she enjoys and can stick with.

That’s very interesting. Thank you.
    Can you think of anything that someone on Warfarin potentially could take for joint health? I’ll research them further

I’d like to explore the possibility of shifting her from Warfarin onto natural blood thinners like garlic extract, turmeric, ginger and ginkgo biloba with her doctor. All the while monitoring her blood

12. Quote Originally Posted by MAZDAMX5LOVER View Post
    guys i love TTA... last summer i use this and it was very good !i did not find sns tta 500 ,and i was ordered BULK tta.. this **** works .WATCH OUT !for me tta didnt help me to lose fat but ,when i was started to eat some junk food (on my vacations) ,TTA kept me much more leaner than other time.so i believe that TTA is very good for lean bulk diets
    Given how the stuff works I feel that TTA should primarily be for helping people recomp and help spare muscle whilst cutting

13. Quote Originally Posted by u_e_s_i View Post
    I know, I’ll work with her on creating a diet that she enjoys and can stick with.

That’s very interesting. Thank you.
    Can you think of anything that someone on Warfarin potentially could take for joint health? I’ll research them further

I’d like to explore the possibility of shifting her from Warfarin onto natural blood thinners like garlic extract, turmeric, ginger and ginkgo biloba with her doctor. All the while monitoring her blood
    Don't try to shift her to natural blood thinners. I dont blame you for the passing thought, I've had similar thoughts but ultimately warfarin is tried and true and reliable - and natural compounds are not. Something like curcumin can have genetic variations from plant to plant t and even if you get a standardized extract, unless it is 100% standardized to 1 chemical, the non standardized chemicals can vary from batch to batch. It's a bit of Russian roulette when you have a reliable drug in a life and death situation.

Vitamin D is highly over looked in pain and health. I would get her levels tested and likely put her on at least 2000 iu a day unless she is low, at which point I would go higher.

Fish oil can also have some impact on pain and inflammation, but it does thin blood and you need to get the doctors OK and have the dr. monitor the situation. There are some studies showing the blood thinning effect isn't a problem under 4 grams, but it is far from certain. I would get something with a high concentration of EPA and DHA and stick to 2 grams. Bronson Triple Strength is what I use.

Joint Force of Evomuse Injure Eeze can be a good topical that has a strong impact on pain, both my dad and grandmother swore by it for a long time.

Also, just in case the idea crosses your mind, cannabis and warfarin = bad idea. Like, potential hospitalization with blood transfusions (which may kill an 80 year old) bad.

Be careful, make sure the doctor knows everything and is OK. Keep away from opioids as much as possible.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Nac View Post
    @Synapsin has claimed a few times that TTA shouldnt be used by someone with a "heart condition"; Im not sure exactly what he was basing this on but I trusted him. He may clarify if he gets this notification.
    I think it has to do with electrolytes depletion. I remember I supplemented with electrolytes during TTA usage. Results? What to expect with a bad diet back then?

OPs thread reminds me that I have got half a bag somewhere in the house, so if I find it I will run it next Easter with a sensible diet this time.
    Anything, just ask

15. Quote Originally Posted by Nac View Post
    I see that Synapsin replied later in the thread. Also, something I would mention on TTA with someone with a heart condition would be to keep in mind that sometimes people hold some fluid on TTA so that could be a factor if someone has a heart problem that requires them to be on a diuretic for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    You're comparing a supplement to a change in dietary habits, of course the latter always wins out. Decreased Calorie intake will always win.

In saying that, SNS made a few runs a little while ago so i stoked up while i had the chance, i found it incredibly useful when used with another fat burner of some kind as i also need stimulation to curb my appetite.
    I thought the same thing when I read that. Supplements are just that, supplements; the better your diet, the better they are going to usually work for you.
    SNS Site Wide 30% Off Black Friday - Cyber Monday Sale
    www.seriousnutritionsolutions.com - Code: Anabolicminds1

Focus XT Candy Corn Flavor Still Available While Supplies Last!

16. I wanted to add a few random things from reading through the thread:

Someone mentioned joint products for the elderly, look into SNS Joint Support XT because it contains multiple clinically studied ingredients, some of which are shown to be effective in as little as 4 to 7 days. Keep in mind, at advanced age, nothing is a miracle product but any improvement is usually very beneficial and appreciated.

TTA is a great fat loss ingredient in my opinion and also great for recomp cycles. I saw that someone commented that it didn't work for them and as with most everything, the better your diet, the better TTA is going to usually work for you. And also, a big thing with TTA that some people don't think about is that when you're on TTA some people can hold some slight fluid retention so the amount of fat loss may not be as noticeable until coming off the TTA for a few days. I remember the first time I ever used it I didn't realize nearly how well it worked until about 3 days after I stopped it and once the water dried out I was like wow.

Another important note for people looking for TTA - TTA is a very hard raw material to get and especially at a reasonable price. That is why we stay out of stock on it so much is because it just flat out isn't available a lot of the time so be careful when buying it; make sure its from a vendor you trust that is truly testing the quality of their raw materials. We've turned down several raw material suppliers this year that said they had it available because upon testing, the purity wasn't high enough for us.

17. Just be careful, strictly speaking, warfarin and boswellia don't mix well. It may be worth a test, but monitor it and I would suggest taking INRs twice a week for a bit after starting.

18. Did Controlled Labs have a TTA product? I lost a ton of weight on TTA (with cardio/diet) but was cramping so hard I couldn't walk one day at work.

19. tta is very useful i think... and ihavent any problem with cramps at 1 g per day.off course i use some elevtrolytes always

20. Quote Originally Posted by HIT4ME View Post
    Just be careful, strictly speaking, warfarin and boswellia don't mix well. It may be worth a test, but monitor it and I would suggest taking INRs twice a week for a bit after starting.
    INRs?

21. Quote Originally Posted by u_e_s_i View Post
    INRs?
    International Normalized Ratio. While on warfarin, the dose has to be adjusted regularly. She may have a machine to do it herself, or the doctor may be doing it. The INR is a measure of how long it takes the blood to clot.

There will be a range the doctor wishes to maintain...say 2-4...and if the reading is 3.8 the doctor may reduce the coumadin and if it is 2.4 they may raise it, etc. The trick is to stay in that stabilized range.

This does not directly carry over to other blood thinners, however, so it isn't like you can take an INR while using a different blood thinner and always rely on the same range. I am not 100% certain of this, but it can be a little risky. Add in CYP450 interactions, etc. And taking something with coumadin could lead to a sudden elevation or drop in coumadin levels. This is why it would be difficult to just say, I am going to take a natural blood thinner and measure INRs. Things can change.

Boswellia is an anti-inflammatory with blood thinning potential which could make coumadin more effective, which could cause excessive bleeding and thus death. It is a little risky, but if you add it in, increase the monitoring of the INRs.

22. Did TTA supplementation affect sleep for any of you guys?

23. Quote Originally Posted by u_e_s_i View Post
    Did TTA supplementation affect sleep for any of you guys?
    It never affected mine personally and I don't recall us ever getting any feedback on it doing so.

I know a big thing with TTA supplements right now is the scarcity of raw materials so if you are taking one that does, you may want to be a bit skeptical of it. I say this mainly because we have been out of TTA for 6+ months now because of raw material unavailability and during that time we've tested out several batches of raw materials that didn't meet our standards.

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. TTA (tetradecylthioacetic acid) Safety
    By kev4me in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-07-2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Tetradecylthioacetic acid and steroids ?
    By rogermoore in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-09-2007, 02:41 PM
  3. halflife of 3-thia fatty acid (TTA)
    By acshadow in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 11:22 AM
  4. halflife of 3-thia fatty acid (TTA)
    By acshadow in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 10:00 AM
  5. TTA (Tetradecylthioacetic acid)