Is there any evidence that NAC lowers testosterone?

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Where did you hear this to begin with? It seems like there is some evidence it can prevent the disruption of steroid production from certain toxins, etc....I've never heard it would reduce test?

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Nac...You lower testosterone?, Remind me never to hang out with you.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The only thing I lower is the IQ of a thread

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
http://suppversity.blogspot.de/2013/06/science-round-up-seconds-nac-reduces.html?m=1

An article that thought might suggest it but maybe my
Newbieness is making me misinterpret
Good article...but it has more to do with inflammatory response than hormonal response. When we exercise there is a release of inflammatory chemicals which signal cells to recover and build (anabolism).

Testosterone isn't the signaling they are talking about.

This effect seems to be typical of strong antioxidants - even a large dose of vitamin C seems to have this effect. Anything that decreases inflammation, like ibuprofen or aspirin, will also have similar effects.

Quite frankly I wouldn't worry about it much at all, but you could avoid using NAC within a couple hours of your workout.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think I've read somewhere in another thread that it's OK to take it preworkout?
Yeah...honestly I think it is majoring in minors, plus things like this always bring trade offs. It may reduce your response to the workout, so maybe you have less growth before your next workout, but it may also mean you recover a little faster too because of the reduced free radical damage.

On the other hand, arachadonic acid works off the reverse of the same principle - it increases the inflammatory response, and most people say it is very effective for a natural strength builder.

JulzRulz

JulzRulz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thank you for the reply.

I will keep taking 600mg AM PWO and another 600mg later in the afternoon.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Never heard anything like that. What's your source?

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When it comes to NAC, I feel the benefits outweigh any cons that could be associated and I have yet to hear of any that would sway me from keeping this as a staple.

J

john10960

Awards
The reason I take NAC is to help with tinnitus and hearing protection. (Studies shown to prove this). So I don’t take it pre or post workout per say, but once in the morning and one at night. Do you think it would interfere with gains taken in this manner?

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Of course not.

Let me just say that even if there was some minor evidence that NAC was associated with a negligible lowering of test, there isn't a single person on this board that would be able to notice this. You will see a bigger impact with a single restless night of sleep.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
The reason I take NAC is to help with tinnitus and hearing protection. (Studies shown to prove this). So I don’t take it pre or post workout per say, but once in the morning and one at night. Do you think it would interfere with gains taken in this manner?
No, that’s fine. I also use NAC regularly

J

john10960

Awards
Well I take NAC sustain so maybe I should take a single shot dose instead.