Are fish oil supplements overhyped?

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Presence of key nutrition including omega 3 acids, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) in fish oil is one of the key factors driving the fish oil market. Growing concern about health and increasing demand in variety of food products containing unsaturated fatty acid are also prominent key drivers expected to work favourably for the growth of the fish oil market. Advantages such as reducing joint pains, triglyceride levels, improving lung functioning, depression levels, improving neurological and visual development in infants and reducing the probability of coronary diseases from fish oil.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Fish oil supplementation is not overhyped. Make sure your purchasing from a quality brand, though.

I will say that if you’re consuming fatty fish 2-3 times a week, I’d forego supplementation

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
It depends on what the "hype" is. I think fish oil is a great daily supplement to incorporate for joint and heart health - EPA and DHA are both studied to be helpful for many different things.

Similar to creatine, fish oil has studied and tested benefits. If you're using a quality source it's worth incorporating in your daily staples for overall health

pro45

Awards
If you eat fish regularly, you don't need it. But I still use Carlson's fish oil. Liquid. Not caps. Expensive, but worth every cent. You get what you pay for.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I would say that they are not overhyped, but the don't perform miracles. There is a need for the omega fatty acids in the body and using fish oil helps, when your lacking in diet,. This is the one I have been using.

https://www.mrsupps.com/products/773/super-omega/

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think it can be very effective/useful depending on your diet. I eat fish about 3x a week (usually salmon) so I’ve cut back on my usage of fish oil.

Rockzilla

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I eat a can of the chicken of the sea pink Salmond once a week. It has 35gs of fat(14 grams of poly fat) and 84 grams of protein. Also lots of calcium cause you can eat the bones, ultra soft. Was thinking about upping it to 2 cans a week. The can doesn’t exactly say epa/dha content though.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
all ive been using fish oil at least eleven years. I remember back in 2006 I did an experiment and used 20 capsules a day. Currently using about 10. Got some inflammation in my knee.

thres studies that show epa and dha improve cognitive function in babies in the womb quite a lot. Check out Dr Rhonda Patrick on Joe rogan and her research

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It depends on what the "hype" is. I think fish oil is a great daily supplement to incorporate for joint and heart health - EPA and DHA are both studied to be helpful for many different things.

Similar to creatine, fish oil has studied and tested benefits. If you're using a quality source it's worth incorporating in your daily staples for overall health
Agreed with this. Fish Oil is one of the daily supps that I take because it's been research and proven just like creatine monohydrate.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I eat a can of the chicken of the sea pink Salmond once a week. It has 35gs of fat(14 grams of poly fat) and 84 grams of protein. Also lots of calcium cause you can eat the bones, ultra soft. Was thinking about upping it to 2 cans a week. The can doesn’t exactly say epa/dha content though.
Chicken that’s form the ocean?

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you eat fish regularly, you don't need it. But I still use Carlson's fish oil. Liquid. Not caps. Expensive, but worth every cent. You get what you pay for.
Yeah, you are right!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, you are right!
I used to eat salmon daily which was loaded which omegas 3's. Now I eat fish maybe once a week, well besides tuna in can, taking fish oil and 10 capsules seems to help inflammation reduction quite a bit. If I don't take it I seem to notice more.

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used to eat salmon daily which was loaded which omegas 3's. Now I eat fish maybe once a week, well besides tuna in can, taking fish oil and 10 capsules seems to help inflammation reduction quite a bit. If I don't take it I seem to notice more.
Can you acquire enough vitamin D in the dead of winter without supplementation if you eat salmon, and eggs daily?

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Fish oil supplementation is not overhyped. Make sure your purchasing from a quality brand, though.

I will say that if you’re consuming fatty fish 2-3 times a week, I’d forego supplementation
Yes, I should follow the adv.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Can you acquire enough vitamin D in the dead of winter without supplementation if you eat salmon, and eggs daily?
I just take a multi as just about every multi has a good amount of vit d in it.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I just bought some spring valley omega s from wal mart. Works great for me. Thumbs up
Oh well . Walmart brand sucks I wouldn’t trust a generic brand like that.
Quality over quantity .

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I just bought some spring valley omega s from wal mart. Works great for me. Thumbs up
How do you know it works great?
What have you noticed from it.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
As a rep for Shaklee didn't they teach you not to dish other companies?
I don’t rep there products .
I consume high quality products but I don’t rep them . I pay for them like any one else.
I won’t use low quality int nor will I recommend it .

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How do you know it works great?
What have you noticed from it.
When I take fish oil reduced inflammation. Just feel healthier , man. Its real basic. no woo-woo stuff here. I've been taking fish oil many years. No secrets just difficult work.

I don’t rep there products .
I consume high quality products but I don’t rep them . I pay for them like any one else.
I won’t use low quality int nor will I recommend it .
how much is your check from Shaklee each month? You got it by selling Shaklee products to people yes?

Shaklee works for you, great. You get money from it, great. Im happy for you, Im glad I helped you .

I get it, some products you feel safer with, some have more science and research behind them. That said, Dont go crapping on other brands please or calling other ones low quality when you have no proof. Just go about your business

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Fish oil is the supplement where you should look for quality and never buy clearance sales. Not saying it has to be the best but good brand with quality controls.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Fish oil is the supplement where you should look for quality and never buy clearance sales. Not saying it has to be the best but good brand with quality controls.
My point exactly. Quality over quantity. What fish and how long has the company been around. Are they sourcing sustainable fish etc.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
When I take fish oil reduced inflammation. Just feel healthier , man. Its real basic. no woo-woo stuff here. I've been taking fish oil many years. No secrets just difficult work.

how much is your check from Shaklee each month? You got it by selling Shaklee products to people yes?

Shaklee works for you, great. You get money from it, great. Im happy for you, Im glad I helped you .

I get it, some products you feel safer with, some have more science and research behind them. That said, Dont go crapping on other brands please or calling other ones low quality when you have no proof. Just go about your business
I don’t get checks from them. It not that it’s a secrete but quality is important , coa etc. who said I get money ? It’s not my opinion that I feel safer , I’m just stating facts not opinions.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I use omega guard.
Tell more about this Omega Guard.
I use Krill Oil at the moment, and think it's pretty good stuff.
Sustainable; and it hits all the right numbers, but I'm always looking to improve.

Unknown.png

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Tell more about this Omega Guard.
I use Krill Oil at the moment, and think it's pretty good stuff.
Sustainable; and it hits all the right numbers, but I'm always looking to improve.

View attachment 166484
Concentrated fish oil
OmegaGuard provides a full spectrum of seven pure Omega-3 essential fatty acids, naturally found in small, cold-water fish.
Each serving contains concentrated 999mg of Omega-3 (546mg EPA which benefits your health and 360mg DHA which is important for normal development and function).
Triple Molecular Distillation
To ensure purity and potency, the fish oil in OmegaGuard undergoes a modern Triple Molecular Distillation process that concentrates the beneficial Omega-3 fatty acids while removing harmful compounds like mercury, lead, arsenic cadmium, dioxins, PBCs, and other contaminants. Minimizes odor and fishy aftertaste.
Friends of Sea
Certified by Friend of the Sea to help ensure a constant supply of high-quality fish oil without harming the environment.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don’t get checks from them. It not that it’s a secrete but quality is important , coa etc. who said I get money ? It’s not my opinion that I feel safer , I’m just stating facts not opinions.
I introduced you to Shaklee in 2004, you got in with Dr Bortz and were getting 2,000 $ checks , at least you used to tell me that when I agreed for you to put me under you, when you tried to train me, do you remember that?

Shaklee has good testing procedures. That said, I trust the brands I use.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I introduced you to Shaklee in 2004, you got in with Dr Bortz and were getting 2,000 $ checks , at least you used to tell me that when I agreed for you to put me under you, when you tried to train me, do you remember that?

Shaklee has good testing procedures. That said, I trust the brands I use.
When I worked in the doctors office over 10 years ago and he he sold some supplements and recommend it I was making a income but I no longer work do him and no longer do I sell it. I’m glad you introduced me to a quality brand that tests there products and publish them !!! I also was looking for kosher supplements and you said it is. Remember I’m Jewish so I try to use as much as can with kosher based products.

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established

Presence of key nutrition including omega 3 acids, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) in fish oil is one of the key factors driving the fish oil market. Growing concern about health and increasing demand in variety of food products containing unsaturated fatty acid are also prominent key drivers expected to work favourably for the growth of the fish oil market. Advantages such as reducing joint pains, triglyceride levels, improving lung functioning, depression levels, improving neurological and visual development in infants and reducing the probability of coronary diseases from fish oil.
Fish oil is absolutely a staple!

Been taking it non stop for 12 years. My buddy joked I would turn into a fish. Now he takes it lol.

Heart health, reduces inflammation, joint protection, helps depression.

Make sure you get a higher epa then dha but you need both.

Am I missing anything?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When I worked in the doctors office over 10 years ago and he he sold some supplements and recommend it I was making a income but I no longer work do him and no longer do I sell it. I’m glad you introduced me to a quality brand that tests there products and publish them !!! I also was looking for kosher supplements and you said it is. Remember I’m Jewish so I try to use as much as can with kosher based products.
Glad I could help

Fish oil is absolutely a staple!

Been taking it non stop for 12 years. My buddy joked I would turn into a fish. Now he takes it lol.

Heart health, reduces inflammation, joint protection, helps depression.

Make sure you get a higher epa then dha but you need both.

Am I missing anything?
nope you covered it well. Some say equal epa/dha but thats splitting hairs.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You two guys ok now because I respect both of your knowledge and opinions. djbombsquad and John Smeton

How would either of you compare the Shaklee to my current (running out of) Krill Oil?

-M

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You two guys ok now because I respect both of your knowledge and opinions. djbombsquad and John Smeton

How would either of you compare the Shaklee to my current (running out of) Krill Oil?

-M
Yeah we're good. I dont know your brand. I used Evomuse Krillpad earlier this year and it was quite expensive for my budget. If you think xyz brand is best for you, do whats best for you.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

-M
Any studies on the brand you have? At Shaklee, they are commitmented to conducting clinical and scientific research has been a core company value and part of there scientific strategy for over 30 years. To date, they have published over 100 manuscripts, many of which are in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
http://healthresource.shaklee.com/clinical-research-study-archive/ more info there too. I can only give you facts from there site.
So I would find out from the company your getting it from if they have any studies to back there claims up . Or else any one can just make a product and sell it.

horizons

horizons

Awards
  • Established
Sports research is the best

Third party tested - 5 star etc

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just take a multi as just about every multi has a good amount of vit d in it.
I take a multi daily for years and I always came back with low vit D until I started adding in 5,000 of vit D daily.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I take a multi daily for years and I always came back with low vit D until I started adding in 5,000 of vit D daily.
Interesting. Not me. Mine were good while only taking in 800 . Sometimes I take more when its in my fish oil and other supplements

remember half of people get vit d from sun and half do not. I think i do

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Idk but pure EPA is now a pharmaceutical drug. It’s called Vascepa. So clearly it’s not as over hyped as people think

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Idk but pure EPA is now a pharmaceutical drug. It’s called Vascepa. So clearly it’s not as over hyped as people think
Quality over quantity

Independent

Independent

Awards
I just started using carlsons, how much should i use everyday? I started with a tablespoon.

The Express 42

The Express 42

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I just started using carlsons, how much should i use everyday? I started with a tablespoon.
2g of combined epa and dha. Not two grams total