Supplementation dangerous for your health?

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is high protein supplementation dangerous for your health? What's reality?

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
No, this has been debunked numerous times. Seems according to the latest research about .8g per kg of bodyweight is ideal.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No, this has been debunked numerous times. Seems according to the latest research about .8g per kg of bodyweight is ideal.
I'm pretty sure the minimum "ideal" daily protein intake according to recent research is 1.6g/kg, and potentially up to 2.2g/kg. 0.8g/kg for a 180lb person is only about 66g/day protein. I'm pretty sure that's not even close to ideal.
https://link.springer.com/epdf/10.1186/s12970-018-0215-1?author_access_token=aNFu3XJ8APuAeSJfdZgR22_BpE1tBhCbnbw3BuzI2RPoc2bOet4idn9xXSIOekJ1kb3LsrnTGnBAGMeGBy82tHkHFibvhq3p836Xt6ho8Fw2rSjlP7zAjObn31HvuM68lcfXrNOeRBV6yHVcNyR07g==

But to answer OP's question, as long as you don't have pre-existing conditions that would warn against high-protein intake, high-protein intake is completely fine.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
There was a Russian study on restricted calorie diets prolonging life, but that's a horse of another color. I'm at work so I don't have the time to find it. Maybe someone else could.

Also, when you consume too much protein in a ketogenic diet there are consequences, but I agree with ^. You'd be fine.

On a final note. I found this interesting. It was a fast Google search, but the video looks familiar so I thought I'd share it.
https://www.drcarney.com/blog/entry/diet-linked-to-heart-disease-reduction-during-war

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There was a Russian study on restricted calorie diets prolonging life, but that's a horse of another color. I'm at work so I don't have the time to find it. Maybe someone else could.

Also, when you consume too much protein in a ketogenic diet there are consequences, but I agree with ^. You'd be fine.

On a final note. I found this interesting. It was a fast Google search, but the video looks familiar so I thought I'd share it.
https://www.drcarney.com/blog/entry/diet-linked-to-heart-disease-reduction-during-war
But what good is a long life without enjoying the calories that come from food lol?

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
you can still enjoy those things on a restricted calorie diet.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
you can still enjoy those things on a restricted calorie diet.
But not as much of them. And you can’t get as big and strong on a restricted calorie diet. Moderation is usually the best route; a balanced diet and exercise IMO.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
But not as much of them. And you can’t get as big and strong on a restricted calorie diet. Moderation is usually the best route; a balanced diet and exercise IMO.
the secret to diets...MODERATION

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
I'm pretty sure the minimum "ideal" daily protein intake according to recent research is 1.6g/kg, and potentially up to 2.2g/kg. 0.8g/kg for a 180lb person is only about 66g/day protein. I'm pretty sure that's not even close to ideal.
https://link.springer.com/epdf/10.1186/s12970-018-0215-1?author_access_token=aNFu3XJ8APuAeSJfdZgR22_BpE1tBhCbnbw3BuzI2RPoc2bOet4idn9xXSIOekJ1kb3LsrnTGnBAGMeGBy82tHkHFibvhq3p836Xt6ho8Fw2rSjlP7zAjObn31HvuM68lcfXrNOeRBV6yHVcNyR07g==

But to answer OP's question, as long as you don't have pre-existing conditions that would warn against high-protein intake, high-protein intake is completely fine.
Sorry I meant to say per pound. I was multitasking. lol

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
I also think each person handles amino acid utilization differently. It's really something how varied each person is when it comes to nutrition.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I also think each person handles amino acid utilization differently. It's really something how varied each person is when it comes to nutrition.
Yeah, but the 1.6g/kg is a pretty reasonable rule of thumb to start with IMO. It’s less than 1g/lb, so shouldn’t be too difficult if you try. What foods you get your protein from and how you split your meals will probably vary considerably between individuals once they find what works best for them.

Rockzilla

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, but the 1.6g/kg is a pretty reasonable rule of thumb to start with IMO. It’s less than 1g/lb, so shouldn’t be too difficult if you try. What foods you get your protein from and how you split your meals will probably vary considerably between individuals once they find what works best for them.
I don’t think I’m far off track when I say over half of your protein intake is converted into glucose correct? That means you body actually uses less than half of your protein for actual protein synthesis for muscles, organs etc.
Also considering we like to include our bone mass into our LBM. Taking away a rough estimate of our bone mass would lead to a lower protein intake. But; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5238414/
Shows that increased protein intakes have a positive effect on bone mineral content. Not because bones can synthesize amino acids, but because of the anabolic response from protein increasing IGF-1 and insulin. So I guess it would be good to include bone mass into your LBM when figuring protein intake. Which more than likely always has been done.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don’t think I’m far off track when I say over half of your protein intake is converted into glucose correct? That means you body actually uses less than half of your protein for actual protein synthesis for muscles, organs etc.
Also considering we like to include our bone mass into our LBM. Taking away a rough estimate of our bone mass would lead to a lower protein intake. But; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5238414/
Shows that increased protein intakes have a positive effect on bone mineral content. Not because bones can synthesize amino acids, but because of the anabolic response from protein increasing IGF-1 and insulin. So I guess it would be good to include bone mass into your LBM when figuring protein intake. Which more than likely always has been done.
Unless you're an extreme outlier (extremely obese or extremely muscular), the general rule of thumb of 1.6-2.2 g/kg is likely still "ideal," and even then it's still likely good haha. This range is pretty close to 1g/lb, which has been recommended as a good general rule of thumb for years/decades. You can adjust up or down a little depending on your individual situation and characteristics, but I don't think we need to complicate this too much.

Rockzilla

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Unless you're an extreme outlier (extremely obese or extremely muscular), the general rule of thumb of 1.6-2.2 g/kg is likely still "ideal," and even then it's still likely good haha. This range is pretty close to 1g/lb, which has been recommended as a good general rule of thumb for years/decades. You can adjust up or down a little depending on your individual situation and characteristics, but I don't think we need to complicate this too much.
Completely agree, no use going any higher unless your on something hormonal.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Completely agree, no use going any higher unless your on something hormonal.
Yeah, agreed. If you're trying to bulk, hit that range of protein and then add more carbs and/or fat. It'll be easier to bulk that way than by trying to eat pounds of lean protein haha.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
You can’t get big and strong? Your doing it wrong then

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You can’t get big and strong? Your doing it wrong then
I said "as" big and strong. You're not going to get as big and strong under caloric restriction as you could otherwise. I was also half-joking originally, but you seem intent on taking this very seriously. As I've said before, moderation is fine IMO, and is usually the best compromise of providing the optimal balance of quantity and quality (years of life in this case).

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Agreed with this. Everything in moderation. And being consistent with dieting/training in general.

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Thanks for the link

diana_wills

Awards
And to everything else in life :approve:

You should never push just one thing in your food, if we were able to get everything we need from one thing, we wouldn't be having this many choices. "The difference between medicine and poison is in the dose " and it's always like that :wink1:

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
And to everything else in life :approve:

You should never push just one thing in your food, if we were able to get everything we need from one thing, we wouldn't be having this many choices. "The difference between medicine and poison is in the dose " and it's always like that :wink1:
Right!