FDA wants to ban Caffeine, particularly in Supplements- FDA release

WesleyInman

WesleyInman

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Still think they are not after "supplement industry"?

"FDA may block consumer sales of pure or near pure bulk caffeine to consumers after two deaths"

This line alone should tell you all that you need to know...
"This guidance does not affect other types of products that might also contain caffeine, such as prescription or over-the-counter drugs or conventional foods, like traditionally caffeinated beverages"

https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm604485.htm

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well, theyre not exactly wanting to ban caff in supplements, but bulk quantities, right? So preworkouts and fatburners are exempt. Just a clarification to your thread title.

I think a compromise couldve been to "ban" bulk powders, but allow caps/pills. The issue is that retards dont measure the powder properly. If its in a cap/pill, youd have to purposefully odose to screw up. A cap/pill would reduce dumb accidental odosing.

musclemaker

musclemaker

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Still think they are not after "supplement industry"?

"FDA may block consumer sales of pure or near pure bulk caffeine to consumers after two deaths"

This line alone should tell you all that you need to know...
"This guidance does not affect other types of products that might also contain caffeine, such as prescription or over-the-counter drugs or conventional foods, like traditionally caffeinated beverages"

https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm604485.htm
Never-ending battle. Thanks brother, will read this up.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
so basically u can't buy for example a kilo of caffeine powder yourself....that's not a big deal for myself...but for ppl who want to make their own preworkouts may be pretty mad

customshopkv1

customshopkv1

Awards
As long as I can get my caffeine the way I usually do via drinks and preworkouts then it won’t affect me.

carguy123

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I remember hearing about this a few years back when a kid bought pure caffeine powder then proceeded to take a spoonful and later passed away. You cant protect everyone, and really dont see this solving anything.

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is the one thing I actually agree with. Now I have no clue why the rest of sports science chemicals are illegal, but this one makes sense. People can make a measuring error and end up killing them selves. I know I make my own PRE but I always either add to a pre workout base or use CAFFEINE PILLS cause the powder down right freaks me out!

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Someone could accidentally dose it as creatine by accident. Caffeine powder is nothing to play with

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
There was a video where a guys heart was seen beating in his chest because he drank like 15 redbulls. You can’t stop people who are stuck on stupid.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
There was a video where a guys heart was seen beating in his chest because he drank like 15 redbulls. You can’t stop people who are stuck on stupid.
I like the woman who drank a quart of jack nearly everyday of her pregnancy then sued jack daniels for birth defect of her child....true story!!!

she and people like her are responsible for disclaimers on everything, including mcdonalds coffee-warning contents are hot, spilling it can cause injury!!!

WesleyInman

WesleyInman

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
For me I agree that it should have disclaimers left and right. Should not sell to 18 and younger.

I am all for safety.

And like anything you can certainly overdo it and have major consequences, but the same can be said for literally so many OTC products out there.

People use sleeping pills to OD intentionally and you never hear them ban that or the dangers of it.

The thing with this, I have watched it since I started working at GNC in 1996...they slowly keep chipping away and every and any compound, or regulating it. Eventually caffeine won't be able to be sold as a "dietary" ingredient. Meanwhile FDA will be happily allowing meds like they did with PhenPhen, that are super dangerous and kill people, and call them "safe".

It's truly not about "safety" for them. If it was,half of the drugs and meds they have allowed would never have been approved.

People are going to always abuse things. We will never stop that from happening just by regulating sales.

Anyone else on page with this thought process? Admittedly I know not everyone agrees with my perception.

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For me I agree that it should have disclaimers left and right. Should not sell to 18 and younger.

I am all for safety.

And like anything you can certainly overdo it and have major consequences, but the same can be said for literally so many OTC products out there.

People use sleeping pills to OD intentionally and you never hear them ban that or the dangers of it.

The thing with this, I have watched it since I started working at GNC in 1996...they slowly keep chipping away and every and any compound, or regulating it. Eventually caffeine won't be able to be sold as a "dietary" ingredient. Meanwhile FDA will be happily allowing meds like they did with PhenPhen, that are super dangerous and kill people, and call them "safe".

It's truly not about "safety" for them. If it was,half of the drugs and meds they have allowed would never have been approved.

People are going to always abuse things. We will never stop that from happening just by regulating sales.

Anyone else on page with this thought process? Admittedly I know not everyone agrees with my perception.
I am. Caffeine so damn dangerous in a powder form. It’s so easy to accidentally does creatine at the citrulline dose. Imagine if you did that by accident with caffeine. That’s why I don’t buy caffeine powder. Not taking that risk for zero payoff.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Someone could accidentally dose it as creatine by accident. Caffeine powder is nothing to play with
If we outlawed everything that could be potentially fatal if mistaken for another substance that looks similar, everything on earth would be illegal. As long as the bag/tub/etc of caffeine is properly labeled and has warnings abut measuring it, it's on you if you mistake it for creatine.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have mixed feelings on this. Mostly the FDA banning most things is usually stupid and a reaction to stupidity with more stupidity. Plus, if this is allowed it sets a precedent for the next ingredient as is said above.

Next, how do you determine "bulk". Most powdered supplements will become suspect. It maybwork that at first supplement companies mix something with caffeine powder and achieve the same thing. Then the FDA will adjust and more and more will be banned.

It isn't like I use bulk caffeine either. I have a 500 g jug that I bought maybe 8 years ago and it sits in my cabinet and If be surprised if I didn't have 400 grams left in that tub. I can live without it.

And I get that people should be heavily warned about proper measuring. I would even be on board if they banned it for sale as a "supplement" - for instance, if you could buy it for research or whatever bit it wasn't legal to label it as a supplement.

I should just be glad that the FDA is looking out for me. Obviously, if someone else was stupid, I must be too and I need the smart people at the FDA to look out for me and I am just to dumb to even know it.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I remember hearing about this a few years back when a kid bought pure caffeine powder then proceeded to take a spoonful and later passed away. You cant protect everyone, and really dont see this solving anything.
I remember being a noobie and buying bulk yohimbine hcl...I took a whole tsp and started sweating so much that I soaked the bed I was lying on, but I got the biggest damn boner I ever had, lol.......totally my fault, I would hate to see yohimbine banned because I was stupid:scared1:

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I remember being a noobie and buying bulk yohimbine hcl...I took a whole tsp and started sweating so much that I soaked the bed I was lying on, but I got the biggest damn boner I ever had, lol.......totally my fault, I would hate to see yohimbine banned because I was stupid:scared1:
So this was you?

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have mixed feelings on this. Mostly the FDA banning most things is usually stupid and a reaction to stupidity with more stupidity. Plus, if this is allowed it sets a precedent for the next ingredient as is said above.

Next, how do you determine "bulk". Most powdered supplements will become suspect. It maybwork that at first supplement companies mix something with caffeine powder and achieve the same thing. Then the FDA will adjust and more and more will be banned.

It isn't like I use bulk caffeine either. I have a 500 g jug that I bought maybe 8 years ago and it sits in my cabinet and If be surprised if I didn't have 400 grams left in that tub. I can live without it.

And I get that people should be heavily warned about proper measuring. I would even be on board if they banned it for sale as a "supplement" - for instance, if you could buy it for research or whatever bit it wasn't legal to label it as a supplement.

I should just be glad that the FDA is looking out for me. Obviously, if someone else was stupid, I must be too and I need the smart people at the FDA to look out for me and I am just to dumb to even know it.
Yeah you nailed it here. Exactly what I was trying to say. I hate anything being banned. Goes against my natural beliefs of freedom. I’m just saying is the one supp I refuse to ever by in bulk. Just becUse of the very rare and off chance I F up dosage. That’s all I was getting it. But I guess I’m smart enough to know that I just choose not buy it in bulk like I do other supps.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I like the woman who drank a quart of jack nearly everyday of her pregnancy then sued jack daniels for birth defect of her child....true story!!!

she and people like her are responsible for disclaimers on everything, including mcdonalds coffee-warning contents are hot, spilling it can cause injury!!!

Oh ya, when was this?

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Maybe ban the bulk for kids. You make a mistake as an adult, thats your problem.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Reading the article seems confusing, it says super concentrated form. Like 1 teaspoon can equal about 20 servings.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Reading the article seems confusing, it says super concentrated form. Like 1 teaspoon can equal about 20 servings.
I didn’t read the article, but pure caffeine powder is “concentrated” relative to, say, instant coffee powder. One teaspoon of caffeine powder is WAY too much; you really need a scale to measure it accurately. I assume they mean 1 tsp of caffeine powder would provide caffeine equivalent to 20 servings of coffee or another source of caffeine.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just remove all warning labels and let it all just take care of itself...
That said.

4b9.png

I can quit. Whenever I want.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
The FDA put releases out ages ago on this. Many bulk suppliers weren't even providing accurate scoops or very good dosage instructions which was also causing issues.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
google 'whisky firm wins birth defect case'....sorry it was jim beam not jack daniels, my bad!!!
That reminds me of a time when someone I know had their ex drunk text them and say she finally found a man who treats her right, so I told him to ask if his name was Jack, Jim, or Captain Morgan.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
That reminds me of a time when someone I know had their ex drunk text them and say she finally found a man who treats her right, so I told him to ask if his name was Jack, Jim, or Captain Morgan.
bad to the bone, better to drink alone, lol

Anabaholic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The FDA is so weird, they want to ban caffeine, they already banned dmaa, I hear they want to go after andros, but then you can buy phenibut, which in many countries is a prescription anxiety medication, in bulk over the counter. The FDA is just too reactionary.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The FDA is so weird, they want to ban caffeine, they already banned dmaa, I hear they want to go after andros, but then you can buy phenibut, which in many countries is a prescription anxiety medication, in bulk over the counter. The FDA is just too reactionary.
It’s not just the FDA though. Other countries are equally insane, just in slightly different ways. You can’t buy yohimbine in Canada, and agmatine is banned in some countries. The only consistent thing is inconsistency and nonsensical regulations.

Nickespo89

Nickespo89

Awards
  • Established
This is the one thing I actually agree with. Now I have no clue why the rest of sports science chemicals are illegal, but this one makes sense. People can make a measuring error and end up killing them selves. I know I make my own PRE but I always either add to a pre workout base or use CAFFEINE PILLS cause the powder down right freaks me out!
Same.

taylor8461

taylor8461

Awards
In late.
I know exactly what video you're talking about my dude thats not what happened.
Thats what happens when you have a rib pierce your lung caffeine isn't that strong. Lethal dose is something like 10 grams.

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If we outlawed everything that could be potentially fatal if mistaken for another substance that looks similar, everything on earth would be illegal. As long as the bag/tub/etc of caffeine is properly labeled and has warnings abut measuring it, it's on you if you mistake it for creatine.
Darwin awards will cause the dumbing down of us all.

RiseAbove

RiseAbove

Awards
  • First Up Vote
But I like to snort caffeine! LOL. They should just go after the few bulk caffeine sellers and make sure they are providing the proper scoopers, labels info etc.