FDA wants to ban Caffeine, particularly in Supplements- FDA release

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. FDA wants to ban Caffeine, particularly in Supplements- FDA release

Still think they are not after "supplement industry"?

"FDA may block consumer sales of pure or near pure bulk caffeine to consumers after two deaths"

This line alone should tell you all that you need to know...
    "This guidance does not affect other types of products that might also contain caffeine, such as prescription or over-the-counter drugs or conventional foods, like traditionally caffeinated beverages"

https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsr.../ucm604485.htm
    Lightweight Sponsored Bodybuilder/Strongman Competitor- Iron Mag Labs "WES15" for 15% off
    Iron Mag Labs=- www.ironmaglabs.com /Iron Mag Research- www.ironmagresearch.com / "WES20" for 20% off at MA Labs- www.masupps.com

2. Well, theyre not exactly wanting to ban caff in supplements, but bulk quantities, right? So preworkouts and fatburners are exempt. Just a clarification to your thread title.

I think a compromise couldve been to "ban" bulk powders, but allow caps/pills. The issue is that retards dont measure the powder properly. If its in a cap/pill, youd have to purposefully odose to screw up. A cap/pill would reduce dumb accidental odosing.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by WesleyInman View Post
    Still think they are not after "supplement industry"?

"FDA may block consumer sales of pure or near pure bulk caffeine to consumers after two deaths"

This line alone should tell you all that you need to know...
    "This guidance does not affect other types of products that might also contain caffeine, such as prescription or over-the-counter drugs or conventional foods, like traditionally caffeinated beverages"

https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsr.../ucm604485.htm
    Never-ending battle. Thanks brother, will read this up.
    Official Strong Supplement Shop Board Rep
    Visit Strong Supplements Here
    Join Us In The Pursuit of Strength - Stay Strong!

4. so basically u can't buy for example a kilo of caffeine powder yourself....that's not a big deal for myself...but for ppl who want to make their own preworkouts may be pretty mad
    Muscle Research Board Rep

AM10 for 10% off at Mrsupps.com

5. As long as I can get my caffeine the way I usually do via drinks and preworkouts then it wonít affect me.
    Axis Labs Lead Rep
    New Orleans Saints Crew
    •   

6. I remember hearing about this a few years back when a kid bought pure caffeine powder then proceeded to take a spoonful and later passed away. You cant protect everyone, and really dont see this solving anything.

7. This is the one thing I actually agree with. Now I have no clue why the rest of sports science chemicals are illegal, but this one makes sense. People can make a measuring error and end up killing them selves. I know I make my own PRE but I always either add to a pre workout base or use CAFFEINE PILLS cause the powder down right freaks me out!

8. the fda needs to ban stupidity.
    ICONIC FORMULATIONS REPRESENTATIVE

use code THEBIGT for 25% off

9. Someone could accidentally dose it as creatine by accident. Caffeine powder is nothing to play with

10. There was a video where a guys heart was seen beating in his chest because he drank like 15 redbulls. You canít stop people who are stuck on stupid.
    https://juggernautlabz.com/ Code Frey10 . Mind and Muscle Code Am10
    Muscle Research Code AM10 www.mrsupps.com 10% off
    Iconic Formulations and Iron Legion Code Chef www.iconicformulations.com 25% off

11. Quote Originally Posted by cheftepesh1 View Post
    There was a video where a guys heart was seen beating in his chest because he drank like 15 redbulls. You can’t stop people who are stuck on stupid.
    I like the woman who drank a quart of jack nearly everyday of her pregnancy then sued jack daniels for birth defect of her child....true story!!!

she and people like her are responsible for disclaimers on everything, including mcdonalds coffee-warning contents are hot, spilling it can cause injury!!!

12. For me I agree that it should have disclaimers left and right. Should not sell to 18 and younger.

I am all for safety.

And like anything you can certainly overdo it and have major consequences, but the same can be said for literally so many OTC products out there.

People use sleeping pills to OD intentionally and you never hear them ban that or the dangers of it.

The thing with this, I have watched it since I started working at GNC in 1996...they slowly keep chipping away and every and any compound, or regulating it. Eventually caffeine won't be able to be sold as a "dietary" ingredient. Meanwhile FDA will be happily allowing meds like they did with PhenPhen, that are super dangerous and kill people, and call them "safe".

It's truly not about "safety" for them. If it was,half of the drugs and meds they have allowed would never have been approved.

People are going to always abuse things. We will never stop that from happening just by regulating sales.

Anyone else on page with this thought process? Admittedly I know not everyone agrees with my perception.
    Lightweight Sponsored Bodybuilder/Strongman Competitor- Iron Mag Labs "WES15" for 15% off
    Iron Mag Labs=- www.ironmaglabs.com /Iron Mag Research- www.ironmagresearch.com / "WES20" for 20% off at MA Labs- www.masupps.com

13. Quote Originally Posted by WesleyInman View Post
    For me I agree that it should have disclaimers left and right. Should not sell to 18 and younger.

I am all for safety.

And like anything you can certainly overdo it and have major consequences, but the same can be said for literally so many OTC products out there.

People use sleeping pills to OD intentionally and you never hear them ban that or the dangers of it.

The thing with this, I have watched it since I started working at GNC in 1996...they slowly keep chipping away and every and any compound, or regulating it. Eventually caffeine won't be able to be sold as a "dietary" ingredient. Meanwhile FDA will be happily allowing meds like they did with PhenPhen, that are super dangerous and kill people, and call them "safe".

It's truly not about "safety" for them. If it was,half of the drugs and meds they have allowed would never have been approved.

People are going to always abuse things. We will never stop that from happening just by regulating sales.

Anyone else on page with this thought process? Admittedly I know not everyone agrees with my perception.
    I am. Caffeine so damn dangerous in a powder form. Itís so easy to accidentally does creatine at the citrulline dose. Imagine if you did that by accident with caffeine. Thatís why I donít buy caffeine powder. Not taking that risk for zero payoff.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Jm88888 View Post
    Someone could accidentally dose it as creatine by accident. Caffeine powder is nothing to play with
    If we outlawed everything that could be potentially fatal if mistaken for another substance that looks similar, everything on earth would be illegal. As long as the bag/tub/etc of caffeine is properly labeled and has warnings abut measuring it, it's on you if you mistake it for creatine.
    Performax Labs Online Rep.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

15. I have mixed feelings on this. Mostly the FDA banning most things is usually stupid and a reaction to stupidity with more stupidity. Plus, if this is allowed it sets a precedent for the next ingredient as is said above.

Next, how do you determine "bulk". Most powdered supplements will become suspect. It maybwork that at first supplement companies mix something with caffeine powder and achieve the same thing. Then the FDA will adjust and more and more will be banned.

It isn't like I use bulk caffeine either. I have a 500 g jug that I bought maybe 8 years ago and it sits in my cabinet and If be surprised if I didn't have 400 grams left in that tub. I can live without it.

And I get that people should be heavily warned about proper measuring. I would even be on board if they banned it for sale as a "supplement" - for instance, if you could buy it for research or whatever bit it wasn't legal to label it as a supplement.

I should just be glad that the FDA is looking out for me. Obviously, if someone else was stupid, I must be too and I need the smart people at the FDA to look out for me and I am just to dumb to even know it.

16. Quote Originally Posted by carguy123 View Post
    I remember hearing about this a few years back when a kid bought pure caffeine powder then proceeded to take a spoonful and later passed away. You cant protect everyone, and really dont see this solving anything.
    I remember being a noobie and buying bulk yohimbine hcl...I took a whole tsp and started sweating so much that I soaked the bed I was lying on, but I got the biggest damn boner I ever had, lol.......totally my fault, I would hate to see yohimbine banned because I was stupid

17. Quote Originally Posted by thebigt View Post
    I remember being a noobie and buying bulk yohimbine hcl...I took a whole tsp and started sweating so much that I soaked the bed I was lying on, but I got the biggest damn boner I ever had, lol.......totally my fault, I would hate to see yohimbine banned because I was stupid
    So this was you?
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

18. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    So this was you?
    lol....

19. Quote Originally Posted by HIT4ME View Post
    I have mixed feelings on this. Mostly the FDA banning most things is usually stupid and a reaction to stupidity with more stupidity. Plus, if this is allowed it sets a precedent for the next ingredient as is said above.

Next, how do you determine "bulk". Most powdered supplements will become suspect. It maybwork that at first supplement companies mix something with caffeine powder and achieve the same thing. Then the FDA will adjust and more and more will be banned.

It isn't like I use bulk caffeine either. I have a 500 g jug that I bought maybe 8 years ago and it sits in my cabinet and If be surprised if I didn't have 400 grams left in that tub. I can live without it.

And I get that people should be heavily warned about proper measuring. I would even be on board if they banned it for sale as a "supplement" - for instance, if you could buy it for research or whatever bit it wasn't legal to label it as a supplement.

I should just be glad that the FDA is looking out for me. Obviously, if someone else was stupid, I must be too and I need the smart people at the FDA to look out for me and I am just to dumb to even know it.
    Yeah you nailed it here. Exactly what I was trying to say. I hate anything being banned. Goes against my natural beliefs of freedom. Iím just saying is the one supp I refuse to ever by in bulk. Just becUse of the very rare and off chance I F up dosage. Thatís all I was getting it. But I guess Iím smart enough to know that I just choose not buy it in bulk like I do other supps.

20. Quote Originally Posted by thebigt View Post
    I like the woman who drank a quart of jack nearly everyday of her pregnancy then sued jack daniels for birth defect of her child....true story!!!

she and people like her are responsible for disclaimers on everything, including mcdonalds coffee-warning contents are hot, spilling it can cause injury!!!

Oh ya, when was this?
  21. FDA wants to ban Caffeine, particularly in Supplements- FDA release

Maybe ban the bulk for kids. You make a mistake as an adult, thats your problem.

22. Reading the article seems confusing, it says super concentrated form. Like 1 teaspoon can equal about 20 servings.

23. Quote Originally Posted by rugger48 View Post
    Reading the article seems confusing, it says super concentrated form. Like 1 teaspoon can equal about 20 servings.
    I didnít read the article, but pure caffeine powder is ďconcentratedĒ relative to, say, instant coffee powder. One teaspoon of caffeine powder is WAY too much; you really need a scale to measure it accurately. I assume they mean 1 tsp of caffeine powder would provide caffeine equivalent to 20 servings of coffee or another source of caffeine.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com
  24. FDA wants to ban Caffeine, particularly in Supplements- FDA release

Ok, Iíll stay with ban it for kids.

25. Just remove all warning labels and let it all just take care of itself...
    That said.

Name:  4b9.png
Views: 156
Size:  298.0 KB

I can quit. Whenever I want.
    BLACK LION RESEARCH
    Follidrone 2.0 | Vector | Letrone | Rebirth | Exotherm | Nootrol | Viron | Prolactrone +
    Want to know more?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Anyone hear about this? FDA wants to ban vitamin b6
    By DerickVonD in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-10-2012, 02:32 PM
  2. Questions I want to know about aging in general....
    By heylo in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-23-2005, 12:05 AM