Noopept: Get Your Mind Right

Suppguyy

Suppguyy

Awards
noopeptstructure2.jpg

Noopept Structure Importance and Racetams

Noopept, also knowns as (Omberacetam), is a peptide containing a modified form of the amino acid Glycine giving it the chemical structure name N-phenylacetyl-L-prolylglycine ethyl ester which is used as a nootropic. The fact that the molecular structure contains a pyrrolidone structure, it is often referred to and classified in the group of compounds that are referred to as racetams, however that is technically incorrect. Noopept contains a pyrrolidone structure, but it’s not a 2-oxo-pyrrolidine which all racetams contain. A pyrrolidone structure falls into the class of lactams, meaning they are cyclic compounds that contain an Amide group. Noopept does contain a 2-pyrrolidone structure, which is 5 membered ring that contains an Amide group (Nitrogen bonded to a carbon that is double bonded to an oxygen) which allows them to produce mind-enhancing effects due to their ability to act on different neurological pathways. This has led the class of racetams to become popular as nootropic compounds, and many different versions have been produced. Noopept is is derived from racetams and was first synthesized with the racetam backbone structure of the 2-pyrrolidone ring, however in Noopept this ring is bonded to a phenyl-group. A phenyl group is a benzene ring that is attached to another substituent. Benzene rings are cyclic hexenes, meaning that it is a 6-carbon structure with double bonds, however the benzene ring has alternating double bonds. They are significant in chemistry due to their stability because they are able to undergo resonance and rearrange during reactions. The attachment of the benzene ring allows it to be much more potent than the mother of all nootropics, piracetam which was the first to be synthesized back in the 1950s as a treatment for epilepsy by Corneliu E. Giurgea. Compared to piracetam, Noopept also contains an ethyl-ester group branching off the opposite end of the phenyl group. This helps to sterically block enzymes that break down the molecule and inhibit its effects such as the class of amine oxidase enzymes. The addition of the ethyl-ester group makes it harder for the enzyme to get to the nitrogen containing group it has the affinity to bind to. Noopept has been reported as 1000x more potent in the same doses1.

Mechanism of Action

The reason Noopept is such an effective Nootropic is due to it’s ability to influence different neurotransmitters through different mechanisms.

Blood-Brain Barrier is Not so Much of a Barrier

The structure of racetams allow them to pass through the blood brain barrier relatively easily compared to other compounds. The BBB is a highly selective, semi-permeable membrane that separates what in the circulating blood is allowed to cross the membrane into the brain and cerebral spinal fluid, effectively allowing it to enter the CNS (Central Nervous System). The structure of Noopept as compared to other racetams is what allows it to more readily pass through this barrier which is why it is so effective in small doses. Once Noopept passes through this barrier, it is able to work on different pathways.

ADMA and NDMA Pathways

ADMA (Asymmetric dimethylarginine) and NDMA (N-methyl-D-aspartate) are ionotropic glutamate receptors which are stimulated by Noopept. Ionotropic receptors result in the opening of transmembrane ion-channel proteins to allow the movement of vital ions Na+, K+,Ca2+, and/or Cl- when activated by a neurotransmitter, in this case Noopept. Glutamate receptors are throughout the CNS but are located majorly in the brain and act as the bodies most prominent excitatory class of neurotransmitters and a precursor to GABA. Glutamate receptors are vital for neural communication and memory which is why taking Noopept is so effective in boosting focus as it stimulates these vital communicating receptors. Having proper ion flow through the cell membranes are also crucial in neural communication as they aid in the depolarization and hyperpolarization of cells be mediating charged ions throughout the cell membrane to cause it to turn from normally negative to more positive by the addition of positive cations (Na+,K+, Ca2+) or efflux (pump out) of negative anion (Cl-). The depolarization and repolarization of a cell is vital for its ability to conduct nerve impulses and communicate with the body.

Noopept and Acetylcholine

Acetylcholine is the neurotransmitter that works at the neuromuscular junction to stimulate motor neurons and begin the contraction process.The two major types of acetylcholine receptors are muscarinic acetylcholine receptor and nicotinic acetylcholine receptors, which are stimulated by both their corresponding compounds (muscarine and nicotine), however the compound of acetylcholine can stimulate both of these receptors. Acetylcholine is a common target for focus-enhancing supplements and some aim at working by increasing acetylcholine levels, preventing the breakdown of the molecule by the enzyme acetylcholinesterase, or encouraging it’s re-uptake in the synaptic cleft; however noopept does not work with acetylcholine in any of these methods. Noopept actually has the ability to enhance the effects of the neurotransmitter Acetylcholine by aiding in the neurotransmitters’ action on the acetylcholine receptors. Noopept iscapable of working on acetylcholine receptors to make them more sensitive so they are more easily and more likely to be activated.

Dosage

Noopept is much more potent than common racetams and other nootropics so they are not required in large doses. Noticeable performace enhancing effects can be seen in doses as little as 10mg, and this dose can be safely increased up to the 30mg range but it is not recommended to go over that[2][3].

Products containing Noopept:

HURRICANE- BCAA Energy/ Pre with 2-amino-5-methylheptane, TeaCrine, Noopept- $29.99 at THECATEGORY5.com

[1] Vakhitova YV, Sadovnikov SV, Borisevich SS, Ostrovskaya RU, A.Gudasheva T, Seredenin SB. Molecular Mechanism Underlying the Action of Substituted Pro-Gly Dipeptide Noopept. Acta Naturae. 2016;8(1):82-89.

[2] Kolbaev, S. N., et al. “Effect of Noopept on Dynamics of Intracellular Calcium in Neurons of Cultured Rat Hippocampal Slices.” Bulletin of Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 164, no. 3, 2018, pp. 330–333., doi:10.1007/s10517-018-3983-3.

[3] Ostrovskaya RU, Vakhitova YV, Kuzmina US, et al. Neuroprotective effect of novel cognitive enhancer noopept on AD-related cellular model involves the attenuation of apoptosis and tau hyperphosphorylation. Journal of Biomedical Science. 2014;21(1):74. doi:10.1186/s12929-014-0074-2.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ive heard a quite a bit about noopept over the last five years or so. Ive tried piracetam and choline , did a log on here over a decade ago. I've Tried various nootropics

how is this good for your brain and healthy?

Suppguyy

Suppguyy

Awards
Ive heard a quite a bit about noopept over the last five years or so. Ive tried piracetam and choline , did a log on here over a decade ago. I've Tried various nootropics

how is this good for your brain and healthy?
Piracetum is needed in very high doses typically over 10grams so most don’t take enough and don’t see positive effects while choline is not really effective at altering neurotransmitter action when taken alone. Noopept is clearly effective as stated above, but as for the health side of it it is a much better option because it doesn’t even raise your levels of neurotransmitters it simply makes the receptors more sensitive so they’re more likely to be stimulated. Without raising the circulating levels of the neurotransmitters , you put the risk aside of Imbalancing homeostasis .

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
it simply makes the receptors more sensitive so they’re more likely to be stimulated.
what receptors exactly?

so if I need to make 40 $ a night in tips to get dopamine feeling a sense of accomplishment , will making 30 $ feel good?

Suppguyy

Suppguyy

Awards
what receptors exactly?

so if I need to make 40 $ a night in tips to get dopamine feeling a sense of accomplishment , will making 30 $ feel good?
The ones mentioned above , NDMA+ADMA, and acetylcholine receptors.
Prob won’t make you happier making $30 though lol

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Will this help me do well in standardized tests? (i.e SAT, GRE, GED etc?)

Suppguyy

Suppguyy

Awards
Will this help me do well in standardized tests? (i.e SAT, GRE, GED etc?)
Definitely , your body starts absorbing it through your small intestines within 15-20 min so I would recommended taking it about that time before the test. It will definitely help with focus and help you feel awake.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Piracetum is needed in very high doses typically over 10grams so most don’t take enough and don’t see positive effects while choline is not really effective at altering neurotransmitter action when taken alone. Noopept is clearly effective as stated above, but as for the health side of it it is a much better option because it doesn’t even raise your levels of neurotransmitters it simply makes the receptors more sensitive so they’re more likely to be stimulated. Without raising the circulating levels of the neurotransmitters , you put the risk aside of Imbalancing homeostasis .
Actually, at least in healthy young subjects, lower doses (2.4-4.8g) of piracetam have been shown to be more effective in regards to decreasing EEG complexity than higher doses (9.6g).
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10555876
Another study found that 4.8g/day piracetam improved verbal learning after 14 days of supplementation in normal subjects.

Suppguyy

Suppguyy

Awards
Actually, at least in healthy young subjects, lower doses (2.4-4.8g) of piracetam have been shown to be more effective in regards to decreasing EEG complexity than higher doses (9.6g).

Another study found that 4.8g/day piracetam improved verbal learning after 14 days of supplementation in normal subjects.
Like I said science is objective , there are studies showing it either way . But why take grams of a compound , when you can take mg’s of a different one and get better effects. Have never supplement piracetam so I cannot really comment on what dose I find effective.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Like I said science is objective , there are studies showing it either way . But why take grams of a compound , when you can take mg’s of a different one and get better effects. Have never supplement piracetam so I cannot really comment on what dose I find effective.
Don't get me wrong, Noopept is great. I was just pointing out that you don't "need" >10g piracetam, and that more isn't always better with piracetam. I think most of the research that used massive (10+ gram) doses of piracetam were in elderly subjects and/or people with cognitive impairment. One of the most common mistakes in the realm of supplements is extrapolating results across populations; inherently assuming that something will work for healthy young subjects because it worked for elderly subjects with dementia. It's entirely possible that healthy young subjects need and respond better to lower doses of piracetam than elderly subjects do. I actually think that was what the authors hypothesized if I recall correctly.

Suppguyy

Suppguyy

Awards
Don't get me wrong, Noopept is great. I was just pointing out that you don't "need" >10g piracetam, and that more isn't always better with piracetam. I think most of the research that used massive (10+ gram) doses of piracetam were in elderly subjects and/or people with cognitive impairment. One of the most common mistakes in the realm of supplements is extrapolating results across populations; inherently assuming that something will work for healthy young subjects because it worked for elderly subjects with dementia. It's entirely possible that healthy young subjects need and respond better to lower doses of piracetam than elderly subjects do. I actually think that was what the authors hypothesized if I recall correctly.
Well said bro

N2ofusion

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It certainly has an effect, but be forewarned, it's not always pleasurable for everyone. I get brain fog and headaches, then am extremely tired by the end of the day. I also tend to have bad experiences with racetams and similar compounds. I get the choline-depravation feel with any of these, and even adding a lot more A-GPC never seems to balance it out.

Mike NCR

Mike NCR

Awards
It's recommended that you start small with Noopept and work your way up - usually 10mg. Of course thinking I knew better, I took 30mg my first time and puked 10 minutes later. I didn't get much from it but some swear by it.

I found aniracetam to be better, with pramiracetam and Oxiracetam also having a good effect (although short-lived). My all-time favorite racetam stack though was 750mg aniracetam/150mg Alpha-GPC/200mcg Huperzine A. Do you remember that scene from Terminator 2 where Arnie was driving at night and all that data was processing lightning-fast in the sidelines of his vision? Well it felt something like that most days!

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Over the weekend i had some studying to do, busted out the Noopept.

Stacked: 10mg Noopept, 25mg ephedrine, 1g ALCAR, 200mg caffeine, 400mg theanine. One of the best study sessions i've had in ages lol. Problem for me, as was the first times i used noopept, was the headaches and fog that come the next day. I keep forgetting to look in to why, and if there's a solution. I love the stack, and i stocked up when SNS was running the 3 bottles for $30 so i have plenty to play around with.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Noopept is a staple of mine. I prefer 10mg 2x a day as there is a definite level of diminished returns with single 20mg dose giving me brain fog.

Suppguyy

Suppguyy

Awards
Noopept is a staple of mine. I prefer 10mg 2x a day as there is a definite level of diminished returns with single 20mg dose giving me brain fog.
I prefer 20mg as well, single dose is what I typically take and don’t experience the brain fog from depleted brain acetylcholine levels . Everyone is defferent though

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Over the weekend i had some studying to do, busted out the Noopept.

Stacked: 10mg Noopept, 25mg ephedrine, 1g ALCAR, 200mg caffeine, 400mg theanine. One of the best study sessions i've had in ages lol. Problem for me, as was the first times i used noopept, was the headaches and fog that come the next day. I keep forgetting to look in to why, and if there's a solution. I love the stack, and i stocked up when SNS was running the 3 bottles for $30 so i have plenty to play around with.
Just an idea, it may not work, but perhaps try taking some choline with your Noopept-including stack, and then take some again the next morning, and perhaps also a few hours after taking your Noopept-containing stack. Alternatively, try also taking an AChE-I (like huperzine, galantamine, or sage) with your stack and see if you still get headaches the next day. Again, it may not work, but it's something that may be worth trying.

carguy123

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just an idea, it may not work, but perhaps try taking some choline with your Noopept-including stack , and then take some again the next morning, and perhaps also a few hours after taking your Noopept-containing stack. Alternatively, try also taking an AChE-I (like huperzine, galantamine, or sage) with your stack and see if you still get headaches the next day. Again, it may not work, but it's something that may be worth trying.
Bolded part made a night and day difference for me regarding noopept. I never really noticed much of a effect from straight noopept but when combined with a good choline source at a decent dose it really amplified the effects for me personally.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just an idea, it may not work, but perhaps try taking some choline with your Noopept-including stack, and then take some again the next morning, and perhaps also a few hours after taking your Noopept-containing stack. Alternatively, try also taking an AChE-I (like huperzine, galantamine, or sage) with your stack and see if you still get headaches the next day. Again, it may not work, but it's something that may be worth trying.
What kind of choline is best with Noopept? Alpha GPC or Citicoline?

Suppguyy

Suppguyy

Awards
I’ve seen positive results from both referring to the depleted acetylcholine levels in the brain Noopept could potentially cause , but I always preferred Alpha GPC

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Either one really, it's more of a preference thing than anything really. I personally prefer CDP-Choline, but that's just me. If you are using Alpha-GPC, make sure to take into account if it's 50%. So if it's 300mg of 50% Alpha-GPC, that's only 150mg of actual Alpha-GPC, so you'd have to double that dose to get to 300mg of actual Alpha-GPC. That usually isn't an issue with CDP-Choline though.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Either one really, it's more of a preference thing than anything really. I personally prefer CDP-Choline, but that's just me. If you are using Alpha-GPC, make sure to take into account if it's 50%. So if it's 300mg of 50% Alpha-GPC, that's only 150mg of actual Alpha-GPC, so you'd have to double that dose to get to 300mg of actual Alpha-GPC. That usually isn't an issue with CDP-Choline though.
For some reason I thought it was the other way around?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For some reason I thought it was the other way around?
What? The 50%? It’s almost always Alpha-GPC that’s 50%, especially if it’s powder, not caps. I don’t recall ever seeing 50% CDP-Choline.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What? The 50%? It’s almost always Alpha-GPC that’s 50%, especially if it’s powder, not caps. I don’t recall ever seeing 50% CDP-Choline.
I mean that Alpha GPC is more effective and that you have to take more of CDP-Choline to get the same effect, but like I said, I could be wrong so no point in trying to start an argument.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I mean that Alpha GPC is more effective and that you have to take more of CDP-Choline to get the same effect, but like I said, I could be wrong so no point in trying to start an argument.
I’m not trying to start an argument at all, I just didn’t know what you meant. You don’t really need high doses of either. Around 250mg of either one has been shown to be effective in studies. As for which one you prefer and how to dose it, I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer, so there’s really nothing to argue about.