Cheapest BHB salts?

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cheapest option? Do we still trust smartpowders?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Mr Supps has their own version which is around $30

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Anyone tried these before bedtime?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I find them somewhat dubious but curious enough to use and test myself for 2 months
Good for endurance type training in keto...other than that, I've found they can elevate mood at times but the whole "get into ketosis quicker" is bs.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good for endurance type training in keto...other than that, I've found they can elevate mood at times but the whole "get into ketosis quicker" is bs.
Did you test using keto strips? Curious to hear your feedback

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I was reading it actually makes things worse. This statement surprised me and then the graphs.
There's always graphs. :)

Exogenous Ketones = Endogenous Fat Storage?

Figure-01.jpg

Figure-02.jpg

Ketones and Fat Loss
Most people restricting carbs, or intermittent fasting to get into ketosis, are doing it to burn fat and get lean. So it's counterproductive to ingest ketones that will inhibit that process. Especially when we have brain boosters like caffeine that will enhance it.

And remember, the process of creating ketones in the body requires energy, while ingesting exogenous ketones requires none. If fat loss is the goal, why wouldn't you want your body to do the work of producing its own energy source (ketones)?

There is one viable explanation for consuming ketones. If you're in a calorie or carb-restricted state, then maybe during a workout it would make sense. But even then, that really only applies to endurance activities, since it has more to do with enhancing aerobic performance (where oxygen is required), than it does with enhancing high-intensity efforts (where it's not).

In animal studies, those supplementing exogenous ketones (beta-hydroxybutyrate) generated more ATP (energy) per unit of oxygen compared to glucose or fatty acids.

The lifter is relying on glycogen (not fat), and his or her workout is already enhancing the ketotic-state, so it seems the creatine (fuels ATP-PC) and carb-cycling (fuels glycolysis) they're already doing makes a lot more sense than the ketones (fuels oxidation).
Rest of the article here:
https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/avoid-this-ketogenic-rip-off

I'm still interested in your real world results on this.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Did you test using keto strips? Curious to hear your feedback
No, I actually had a ketone meter. I never did an extensive testing with it and bhb salts but I never saw anything out of the norm either with them other than some increased energy and elevated mood.....which makes sense as you are basically giving your body fuel.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was reading it actually makes things worse. This statement surprised me and then the graphs.
There's always graphs. :)

Exogenous Ketones = Endogenous Fat Storage?

View attachment 162716

View attachment 162717

Rest of the article here:
https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/avoid-this-ketogenic-rip-off

I'm still interested in your real world results on this.
I don't think its inhibits the process at all...that would be like me saying ingesting fats would inhibit the process...it still comes down to calories at the end of the day so whether you are ingesting ketones, mct oil, or other fats (within ketosis having the calories be the same), the results are still going to be the same in terms of fat loss IMO. The bhb salts for some people seem to alleviate some the issues with ketosis...feeling tired, foggy brain, etc....could just be a more efficient way of getting energy within ketosis for some people.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is SP super slow at shipping? Haven't even received a shipping notification yet.

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't think its inhibits the process at all...that would be like me saying ingesting fats would inhibit the process...it still comes down to calories at the end of the day so whether you are ingesting ketones, mct oil, or other fats (within ketosis having the calories be the same), the results are still going to be the same in terms of fat loss IMO. The bhb salts for some people seem to alleviate some the issues with ketosis...feeling tired, foggy brain, etc....could just be a more efficient way of getting energy within ketosis for some people.
ding ding ding ding ding.....

People just don't truly want to measure calories..so they do crazy **** like keto thinking calories are secondary and keto makes the principles of caloric intake obsolete...

if keto gets you to caloric restriction and makes that easier, more power to you but its not sustainable long term and pretty obvious why...

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No, I actually had a ketone meter. I never did an extensive testing with it and bhb salts but I never saw anything out of the norm either with them other than some increased energy and elevated mood.....which makes sense as you are basically giving your body fuel.
any oil would probably work the same......

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
got it....increases ketones better? Or better energy?
Energy and mood. Could care less about raising ketones....in fact I want less. lol

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Viator77

Viator77

Awards
The quickest way to put oneself into ketosis is 2 to 4 units of fast-acting insulin without any carbs.

Coincidentally this is also the quickest way to put oneself into a coma if one is not careful.

There was some type of BHB based keto inducing product on Shark Tank a while back and all of the Sharks wanted in on the product. Some people think this means a gr8 product, but it's because those "sharks" are smart business people and they know that everyone wants a quick fix magic pill. Desperate and/or lazy people will buy it regardless of whether or not it works, especially if marketed properly.

My $0.02: dextrose for your last carb-up meal to induce hypoglycemia before going low carb, a few grams of Lysine spaced throughout the day until you're in ketosis to speed things up, and a couple of pickles before your workouts for sodium and potassium

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
Who wants high ketone levels? That just means they aren't being utilized an you're eating too much :D
There is some interesting research into the application of exogenous ketones for improved mental performance for dementia patients as well as endurance athletes who use a lower carb approach.

Even when consuming exogenous ketones with carbohydrates you can still benefit from the ketones in several ways including more stable blood glucose levels.

There are only a few human studies on them so far, but a PHD researcher and competitive rower at Cambridge University is just beginning to do some more human studies. I’ll try to find some links to post!

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The quickest way to put oneself into ketosis is 2 to 4 units of fast-acting insulin without any carbs.

Coincidentally this is also the quickest way to put oneself into a coma if one is not careful.

There was some type of BHB based keto inducing product on Shark Tank a while back and all of the Sharks wanted in on the product. Some people think this means a gr8 product, but it's because those "sharks" are smart business people and they know that everyone wants a quick fix magic pill. Desperate and/or lazy people will buy it regardless of whether or not it works, especially if marketed properly.

My $0.02: dextrose for your last carb-up meal to induce hypoglycemia before going low carb, a few grams of Lysine spaced throughout the day until you're in ketosis to speed things up, and a couple of pickles before your workouts for sodium and potassium
That last paragraph is one of the approaches that I used to fat adapt. I would add in pa bit of caffeine and taurine as well.