Supplement recommendations for a high school sprinter

dm0804

Awards
I need help deciding what kind of supplements I should be taking for track I'm a 17 y/o sprinter who runs the 100m/200m and I'm trying to get maximum performance and speed in my training and at meets. I've already tried Amway XS Energy and pre kaged but neither of those were really effective especially pre kaged since I felt dehydrated and exhausted after practice. I did make sure I was hydrating beforehand but not sure if I was hydrating enough. I'm looking for something that contains BCAAs and BA with little to no caffeine and I came across xtend elite and genius pre on Amazon but not sure which one to buy if I should even consider those two. I've also taken a look at C4 Sport which might also be effective as well.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
At 17 the first thing you need to address is your diet.
If your dehydrated that means your not drinking enough. No supplement will fix or change that.
Next is how you set up your nutrition around your sprints and practice. What does your pre/post meals look like? Are they carb heavy? Since you sprint you should spread carbs throughout the day but load up on them around your training to maximize your performance. Once you nail your nutrition supplementation will be next to nothing to affect your true performance

The thing you should look into are not stim heavy pre's like pre-kaged more along the lines of endurnace and performance products

PES Ergonine (daily ergogenic)
I Force Finish Line (Daily Ergogenic)
What I would do is mix these with Gatorade and drink this throughout your training since carbs will be your best friend to help replenish glycogen during your high intensity training.

One small bulk product you could buy is Peak02 to add into your erogenic which helps improve VO2 Max output and has been studied on endurance athletes at the University of North Carolina. You can buy that from Primaforce. Those would be the only things I would suggest outside of focusing on your diet, drinking plenty of carbs during training and making sure you are properly hydrated by drinking water all day long.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I would just make sure you’re maximizing your hormone profile and cns recovery by making sure you’re not deficient. I would recommend this:

Am:
5K Ius of Vit D with K
High quality fish oil
Ashwaghanda
Green vibrance

Pm:
ZMA
Green vibrance
Fish oil
Vitamin C

Also consider taking creatine/beta alanine for power/recovery.

Make sure your diet has good sources of high quality fat as well.

DM me if you want more track related advice. I was a D1 3x All American.

Best of luck

dm0804

Awards
Thanks for the great information guys. Like I mentioned previously the creatine left me dehydrated and sluggish during practice so drinking lots of water beforehand should help prevent any kind of dehydration during/after training. I'm going to be running in college also at the NAIA level so having some kind of non stim would be beneficial. As far as my diet goes I try to eat around 2800 cals/day with different kinds of foods such as spaghetti for carbs and chicken breast for protein and try to keep it as healthy as possible with strictly water for all of my meals. I typically have something with protein for lunch (pre) and carbs for dinner (post). I did consider Peak02 as part of my supplementation and it seemed like Xtend Elite contained Peak02 as a performance blend along with the BCAAs/BA that I want. As far as supplements go, would you consider this to be effective before practice/meets? Also I will look into more non-stims along with ZMA/fish oil.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
You don’t need a bcaa product period . If your meeting protein intake it won’t benefit you that’s why I did not suggest it.

Your an athlete you want things to aid performance and endurance

Synerglut
Lclt
Creatine
Betaine
Citrulline
HICA

All of those found in the ergogenics I suggested above. Buy the peak02 bulk and supplement 4g with your ergogenic and Gatorade.

Diet wise
2800 seems low for a 17 year old who is very active. That’s probably where you can add more carbs to ALL meals and add Gatorade intra work out to help get more calories and carbs to sustain training and keep energy high. This will also help prevent dehydration with added electrolytes .

What you need is Simply more food and more liquids to sustain energy . It doesn’t matter if you buy $200-300 of supplements you can’t supplement a bad diet. If you don’t feed yourself enough or what you need to meet energy demands it’s wasted money thinking a pill or powder can solve the problem.

Start by adding at least 50g of carbs from Gatorade powder or 2 Gatorade’s from the store intra workout

Add rice or pasta to all meals or utilize bread, bagels and English muffins for easy digesting sources. Make sure you have potatoes or banana daily to aid with potassium. This is key to keep a positive potassium and sodium balance to prevent cramping

Great example Michael Phelps the guy eats 5,000 Calories a day. Plates of pasta, pizza, pancakes etc . You have to realize the demands at your age and with your metabolism are much greater then the Normal gym goer who just Workouts is sirs on their butt all day at work. You just need to feed the fire

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My man, you got some first class advice that people would pay good money for. Take it and RUN with it.
Other than paying a coach on the side and getting private one-on-one training sessions in the off season.
I was a wrestler (track in off-season) and I wish I had the advantages you just got for free.

Transhuman

Awards
  • Established
My man, you got some first class advice that people would pay good money for. Take it and RUN with it.
Other than paying a coach on the side and getting private one-on-one training sessions in the off season.
I was a wrestler (track in off-season) and I wish I had the advantages you just got for free.
One of the many great things about the internet.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
One of the many great things about the internet.
I'm an old guy... the internet didn't exist in the same grace it does at the moment. I had to go to the library and read books. lol.

2Burnt

Awards
What had been said by The Solution is your best bet. That Iforce finish line looks legit. A lot of years were put into that product.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Take TheSolutions advice and run with it. Get your diet right then add on some of his recommended supplements. Once you get you diet down you will be light years ahead of most athletes your age.

dm0804

Awards
Will definitely run with TheSolutions advice, but I have only one more question: am I limited to just intra workout or can this be something that's taken pre or post?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Will definitely run with TheSolutions advice, but I have only one more question: am I limited to just intra workout or can this be something that's taken pre or post?
Drink the ergogenic + Peak02 around your workout. Start sipping it pre-workout and through your training. mix with gatorade. Will give a nice boost. But honestly your biggest issue is your diet, and eating enough. Thats what you lack. No supplement can fix the issue of not eating enough for a young 17 year old with a blazing metabolism that can pound food.

IGF

Awards
FWIW the college-level sprinters I hung around with weren't big on supplements. The main concern was taking care of their bodies via proper stretching, heat/ice therapy, massaging, rest, and nutrition. The most they would take would be a pre-workout before the team lifts and a protein shake after. Of everyone's individual and you have good advice ITT, just giving you insight from what I've seen.

mpaquett

mpaquett

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I need help deciding what kind of supplements I should be taking for track I'm a 17 y/o sprinter who runs the 100m/200m and I'm trying to get maximum performance and speed in my training and at meets. I've already tried Amway XS Energy and pre kaged but neither of those were really effective especially pre kaged since I felt dehydrated and exhausted after practice. I did make sure I was hydrating beforehand but not sure if I was hydrating enough. I'm looking for something that contains BCAAs and BA with little to no caffeine and I came across xtend elite and genius pre on Amazon but not sure which one to buy if I should even consider those two. I've also taken a look at C4 Sport which might also be effective as well.
Supplements will do little to nothing for you. I'm talking maybe a 1% increase. Your training is what you need to focus on along with adequate rest, hydration, and nutrition. Supplements can help in some situations when you're nearly peaked out, but the performance aspect of what you're wanting it would be so minuscule you'd never notice the difference outside of placebo.