GERD/LPR Treatments

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’m looking for natural or just better treatments for GERD and Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (silent GERD). First, I’m wondering if agmatine could play a beneficial role in it based on these studies as it’s a NOS inhibitor in some places. I just don’t know where. Also, I see glycine can be used, but I have agmatine now and only have magnesium glycinate which is probably not enough glycine.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/1373790/
Effects of long-term oral L-arginine on esophageal motility and gallbladder dynamics in healthy humans.
Randomized controlled trial
Luiking YC, et al. Am J Physiol. 1998.
Show full citation
Abstract
Inhibitory nitrergic neurons are known to play a role in the regulation of motility patterns of the distal esophagus, the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), and the gallbladder. Our study aim was to investigate the effects of "long-term" (i.e., prolonged) oral intake of L-arginine (L-Arg), the endogenous source for nitric oxide (NO) synthesis, on postprandial LES pressure (LESP), esophageal motility, gastroesophageal reflux, and gallbladder motility. L-Arg (30 g/day) or glycine (placebo; 13 g/day; isosmolar) was given orally to 10 healthy male volunteers for 8 days, according to a randomized, crossover design. Twenty-four-hour urinary nitrite/nitrate excretion was measured to indicate NO synthesis. Basal early postprandial LESP was lower after L-Arg ingestion (2.2 kPa) than after glycine ingestion (2.7 kPa) (P < 0.05). L-Arg abolished the physiological late postprandial rise in LESP. Transient LES relaxations were longer lasting after L-Arg ingestion (P < 0.02). Esophageal motility and reflux were not affected (not significant). Fasting and residual gallbladder volumes were greater after L-Arg ingestion (P < 0.05). Urinary nitrite/nitrate excretion was higher after L-Arg intake (P < 0.05). In conclusion, long-term oral L-Arg suppresses late postprandial LESP increase, prolongs transient LES relaxations, and increases fasting and residual gallbladder volumes. These effects may be mediated by increased NO synthesis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3560667/
Orally administered L-arginine and glycine are highly effective against acid reflux esophagitis in rats
Kenji Nagahama, Hikaru Nishio, [...], and Koji Takeuchi

Additional article information

Summary
Background
Reflux esophagitis is caused mainly by excessive exposure of the mucosa to gastric contents. In the present study, we examined the effect of several amino acids on acid reflux esophagitis in rats.

Material/Methods
After 18 h of fasting, acid reflux esophagitis was induced by ligating both the pylorus and the transitional region between the forestomach and the corpus under ether anesthesia, and the animals were killed 4 h later. The severity of esophagitis was reduced by the oral administration of omeprazole, a proton pump inhibitor, or pepstatin, a specific pepsin inhibitor.

Results
The development of esophageal lesions was dose-dependently prevented by L-arginine and glycine, given intragastrically (i.g.) after the ligation, with complete inhibition obtained at 250 mg/kg and 750 mg/kg, respectively, and these effects were not influenced by the prior s.c. administration of indomethacin or L-NAME. By contrast, both L-alanine and L-glutamine given i.g. after the ligation aggravated these lesions in a dose-dependent manner. These amino acids had no effect on acid secretion but increased the pH of the gastric contents to 1.8~2.3 due to their buffering action.

Conclusions
The results confirmed an essential role for acid and pepsin in the pathogenesis of acid reflux esophagitis in the rat model and further suggested that various amino acids affect the severity of esophagitis in different ways, due to yet unidentified mechanisms; L-alanine and L-glutamine exert a deleterious effect on the esophagitis, while L-arginine and glycine are highly protective, independent of endogenous prostaglandins and nitric oxide.

CATdiesel76

CATdiesel76

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Gaps diet. Cured anyone I know who followed it and had severe GERD

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Carl lanore on shr has some good suggestions for this.