Pre Workout instead of coffee for morning commute to work?

Pistolpete85

Awards
Just trying to get some opinions on the matter? Coffee doesn’t seem to be working much anymore for me. If one were to do the switch from coffee to a Pre Workout what would you guys recommend?

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
maybe try 200mg caffeine tabs? You don’t want to start relying on pre workout to get you going in the morning. same with the caffeine tabs tho. Long term I would say it’s best to maybe have a break from caffeine for a few weeks.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Maybe you need to get some more, higher quality sleep?

bonbon

bonbon

Awards
Doesn't seem smart to replace coffee with stronger stims when tolerance increases. What next, meth? Good advices here already, take a couple of weeks break from all stims and sleep more.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Agreed with the others. I would first try some caffeine tabs instead of a cup of coffee. If you switch to preworkout as a substitute for coffee you will get more than just energy that comes with taking a pre workout. So caffeine tabs are the next best option.

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
My vote is 200mg caffeine tab with 200mg L Theanine. I love this combo. It gives a wakeful focused feel. I limit my caffeine intake as well. I only use it in the morning before work and pre workout. Never on weekends or off days. The L Theanine takes the edge off caffeine and makes it easy to sleep if I have to take it later in the evening.

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you don't have kids, try your best to take a 1-2 week stim break - really helped me in the past. This will also help with getting better sleep. Instead of coffee, I'd do caffeine tabs with optional nootropics.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I thought if some other options today and wanted to update.

Good sleep aids that I take regularly are GABA, ZMA, and Glycine.

But something strange has happened to me over the past 4-5 months. My entire life I have been extremely tolerant of caffeine. What I mean by this is that I have dropped 1 gram of caffeine (I do NOT recommend this) on numerous occasions and not only had no sides, but barely any energy increase. Over the past few months I have begun to notice a dramatic tolerance decrease. Now, very strong cups of black coffee have noticeable effects on me sometimes.

This could be anything, but I did start using 2 supplements regularly during thus time - higher doses of vitamin D (20,000 iu/day for a month and then 10,000 iu/day since) and TUDCA.

Not sure if either of these two has had any effect but I have theories for both. I am certainly not recommending such high doses of Vitamin D to anyone...but it may be involved.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I've done this. There a benefits to both. This can give you endurance if very active if it has BA.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would start with improving sleep/more sleep and maybe a low dose of caffeine. Another option would be Nootropimax. It contains 150mg of caffeine but has benefits beyond mental/cognitive stimulation.

irishiron300

irishiron300

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’m a fan of Brainbridge by Man Sports. It’s not a PWO, it’s a nootropic with Teacrine, L-Theanine, and a moderate dose of caffeine. Smooth energy, non-jittery, worth taking a look at IMO. I prefer it over straight caffeine tabs/coffee.

Take a look:
IMG_1397.jpg

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Solid suggestions in here - I would definitely agree with the others and suggest a stim break as well. Give yourself a week or two with less caffeine and focus on resting/recovering better over those two weeks.

If you come back after that and still find that coffee isn't doing it for you, there are a lot of other options besides a preworkout that can be used. The one problem with using a pre is that they often contain ingredients to help with blood flow, muscle signaling, and pumps; which are all things you don't really need if you aren't training. I would suggest looking into a thermogenic or nootropic product like Nootropimax rather than using a preworkout powder.

Pistolpete85

Awards
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I honestly get about 6-8hrs of sleep a night and yes I have children 1 12 month and one’s in the oven and will be here in July. So sleep some nights isn’t the best. But I will definitely look into nootropics now instead of the pre workout route.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
FitMax is what I've been using instead of energy drinks or coffee last few weeks. I do 1.5 scoops and sip it throughout the morning. It has been working perfectly.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I honestly get about 6-8hrs of sleep a night and yes I have children 1 12 month and one’s in the oven and will be here in July. So sleep some nights isn’t the best. But I will definitely look into nootropics now instead of the pre workout route.
Millennium Sports has something called Shred Ultra with a low dose of caffeine (112 mgs) and some feel good ingredients like phenylethylamine hcl, (Pea), and some other nice ingredients

https://millenniumsport.net/files/4313/9249/5487/Shred-ULTRA_Fact_Panel.jpg

Really you could try nootropics and Ive done them and wouldnt do them again, ive done logs, but the best option really is better sleep. Meditation helps me out a whole lot, morning and night, more than any supplement.

Pistolpete85

Awards
Millennium Sports has something called Shred Ultra with a low dose of caffeine (112 mgs) and some feel good ingredients like phenylethylamine hcl, (Pea), and some other nice ingredients

Really you could try nootropics and Ive done them and wouldnt do them again, ive done logs, but the best option really is better sleep. Meditation helps me out a whole lot, morning and night, more than any supplement.
I will definitely take a look at it and also try to get some more sleep if possible.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know girls I work with who slam down some advocare crap called spark all day instead of coffee....another guy I work with tried a pre workout for the first time and wants to drink it before work now too

I wouldn't recommend it, in a lot of cases your "wasting" ingredients that aren't needed to simply just wake up in the morning

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah, it’s definitely a waste of other ingredients to take a preworkout simply for the energizing wake up benefits. I am guilty of this a few times in the past, but certainly not on a regular basis. Sometimes if I get a new PWO that I am anxious to try, I will do this. That is what I did with RE1GN the first few times because I did not have the opportunity to get to the gym.

Anyway, a stim break is often overrated IMO. You just can’t let things get out of control and find yourself taking 400mg caffeine + other stims at one sitting and still find yourself with no energy. Then a stim wean would certainly be appropriate as well as mixing in some nootropics and adaptogens. Followed by a stim break if things were that bad off to begin with.

I get the impression that OP’s daily stim intake is well within reason. Let’s face it though, coffee will only do so much and pales in comparison to the mental uplift offered by many of the PWOs out there. Brainbridge, Nootropimax, AZOTH, or even something more exotic like Vicaine would be some solid options for him to experiment with.

Then take some AMNES1A for some rejuvenating sleep!

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Yeah coffee is a mild kick for those who drink it habitually.

Opt for noots instead like Focus XT, Nootropimax or something instead

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
L-Theanine might help with the black coffee stun issue.

25mg Ephedrine HCL(Primatine) is a wonderful addition to Caffiene/coffee.

Adaptogens and nootropic may help better than adding in extra stims.

Adaptogens: Ashwagandha, Shilajit, Rhodiola.

Nootropics: Clear Edge*, Azoth 2.0*, Nootropimax, Elix1r, Noopept, Piracetam, Focus XT**

*Stim free
**Comes in both stim, and stim free.

Would suggest a stim break, but we all know how that goes.