Agmatine and Histamine?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’m having a tough time making sense of what I’ve been through the past few weeks, and subsequently the previous year and a half. It seems I’ve developed a histamine intolerance if I don’t take enough b vitamins characterized by difficulty breathing, pins and needles, muscle cramps, strange prickly skin feels, flushing face and hands, warm clammy hands, etc.

Natural antihistamines have been helping bring me back close to normal as well as getting back on a multi with good doses of methylfolate, Methyl b12, and p5p, but I’ve swung too far and went into methylation overdrive which was hell also.

Now, I can’t find the balance between the 2 states and it’s very frustrating. I feel good for maybe 2-3 hours a day and the rest is in either state too far. But I can’t figure out what happened 3 weeks ago which put me in the methyl-overdrive state other than stopping agmatine, and increasing the B’s too far, but now I can’t find the balance. Could agmatine have been preventing the symptoms over “Methyl-OD” (I’ll call it that for simplicity)? There was once during the MOD state that a 500mg dose of agmatine stopped it in its tracks. 1/4tsp sea salt has also stopped it several times but takes it too far into the elevated histamine state which is just as scary when I can’t breathe.
What’s the role of agmatine in histamine, probably related to NO somehow?

Or am I wrong about it being agmatine and keep looking for other potential factors?

If I’m right, is it safe to stay on agmatine long term? I feel like it’s time for a break for it and I need to find the true balance with minimal drugs/supplements.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Not sure but this is an interesting thought. Agmatine is also an NDMA antagonist. Thus could explain a lot of neurological roles.

IMO agmatine is a pretty amazing and healthy ingredient and I see no issue with reasonable doses used long-term. I have my 91 year old grandmother on it every day.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I find it really interesting.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Actually, in between work I've been looking and I did find a study suggesting agmatine did on fact increase histamine release in the gut...

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Actually, in between work I've been looking and I did find a study suggesting agmatine did on fact increase histamine release in the gut...
Well, guess I won’t be using that anytime soon. I’m still riding the line of too much histamine.

I still don’t understand why 500mg sea salt would cause a histamine response (shutting down the overmethylation symptoms) but also causing skin reactions and difficulty breathing. It’s making keto a little tough since I’m supposed to supplement salt throughout the day.

I’ve managed so far by dosing the salt with theanine which has antihistamine effects. Thinking about adding holy basil to the mix.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
T

ttortman78

Awards
  • Established
This has to do with methylation pathways, and is a quite complex topic.