Milk vs plant protein dilemma

B

Blender

Awards
Hello all,

I have this huge problem I simply can't solve alone. Maybe you guys can point me in the right direction.

Case A: I have used Muscle Milk with good success when it comes to building muscles. The downside is that it bloats me up, causing my belly to get bigger and also a lot of gas. Plus I get sleepy quickly after eating a pure protein snack bar.

Case B: I have used Orgain Organic plant protein and it helped to flatten my stomach, no gas, or sleepiness. However, I can't pack on any muscles. It seems like plant proteins don't work on the body chemistry as well as milk does.

So what to do here guy? I love the muscles I can pack with milk base proteins but truly hate being bloated and the flatulence. Any other types that would give me muscles without the hideous side effects? Rice, Bean, or whatever else protein?

Thx

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Have you tried anything other than muscle milk?

There are a number of potentially better milk based proteins out there. Blends with low lactose are popular but isolates may habe a different impact on you too.

There is also rice protein and even beef based protein powders.

What about regular milk or yogurt? Does that have a similar effect on you as the powdwrs?

Or you could stick with eggs, chicken, beef, fish, etc.

mpaquett

mpaquett

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
In terms of efficiency you're highly over-estimating what protein powder is doing. Have you tried any isolates versus a blend, which I believe is what Muscle Milk is?

S

SlavicStrong

Awards
I used to use whey, until I switched to raw, organic brown rice protein. There is no superior protein powder in my opinion, and eating protein rich foods is even more important. It’s all marketing, switching from whey to a plant based protein like I’ve done will not inhibit gains, and I have been getting stronger each workout.

B

Blender

Awards
Have you tried anything other than muscle milk?

There are a number of potentially better milk based proteins out there. Blends with low lactose are popular but isolates may habe a different impact on you too.

There is also rice protein and even beef based protein powders.

What about regular milk or yogurt? Does that have a similar effect on you as the powdwrs?

Or you could stick with eggs, chicken, beef, fish, etc.
I did try Isopure and that left me with the worst stomach ache I had ever for two days. Maybe taking 50gms all at once was crazy. Regular milk causes flatulence, but only milk proteins bloat and fatten my belly.

B

Blender

Awards
I used to use whey, until I switched to raw, organic brown rice protein. There is no superior protein powder in my opinion, and eating protein rich foods is even more important. It’s all marketing, switching from whey to a plant based protein like I’ve done will not inhibit gains, and I have been getting stronger each workout.
I will try this brown rice you speak of. I hope I'll get the same results muscle wise as I do from whey. Any particular brand you can point me towards?

Also I have tried other whey products with same bloated, nausea results.

Thx

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would ditch the muscle milk and go with a better quality protein....I personally love mrsupps isolate and think it's the best protein on the market

or try something like humapro

S

SlavicStrong

Awards
I will try this brown rice you speak of. I hope I'll get the same results muscle wise as I do from whey. Any particular brand you can point me towards?

Also I have tried other whey products with same bloated, nausea results.

Thx
I use Naked Rice, by Naked Nutrition you can find it on Amazon. 5 LB bulk tub, raw, meaning no flavoring whatsoever. I personally don’t like artificial flavoring, and I am used to the taste of raw powders. For someone not used to raw rice powder, it might taste terrible at first, but after a while you will get used to it. I can drink the raw powder in water with no problems, but like I said, I’m used to the taste, and actually do like the taste of raw rice protein. Before switching, I was worried like you, that plant protein powder would be inferior, but I am glad I switched. I feel it’s healthier, and I am making fantastic gains. It’s all marketing, protein is protein, and remember to eat like a horse.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Do you augment the brown rice protein with anything to help 'complete' it?

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Whey protein will always be superior in the protein powder department. Stay away from beef proteins since there amino profile is questionable at best.
I would try a isolate again before switching over to a plant based protein and remember it’s just protein like any other protein out there.

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You are placing way too much emphasis on the muscle that the protein you are consuming in those supplements are providing. I won't say it's in your head, but the body isn't that sensitive. Maybe you are seeing some bloat from the dairy and that is leading you to believe you are getting bigger. In any case, try to get your extra 40-50g in food.

S

SlavicStrong

Awards
Do you augment the brown rice protein with anything to help 'complete' it?
Brown Rice protein is a complete protein,in fact all proteins are, with the exception of gelatin, I believe. However, Brown Rice protein has a fewer amount of certain amino acids when compared to whey. I do not mix powders, but do eat meat, I am not a vegetarian. I do not believe that making the switch from whey to brown rice will make a noticeable difference in terms of muscle growth and strength, as long as diet is adequate.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Brown Rice protein is a complete protein,in fact all proteins are, with the exception of gelatin, I believe. However, Brown Rice protein has a fewer amount of certain amino acids when compared to whey. I do not mix powders, but do eat meat, I am not a vegetarian. I do not believe that making the switch from whey to brown rice will make a noticeable difference in terms of muscle growth and strength, as long as diet is adequate.
Do you post the link please? I've read from more than one source that brown rice protein is incomplete

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think what others is saying is accurate - the emphasis on supplemental protein and your digestion/bloat may be the real issues to focus on. Most people can get all the protein they need through food, and this would be ideal of course. If you are trying to build muscle and have sufficient protein from food, a supplemental protein should have a very minimal impact on the overall balance.

Having said that, protein isn't protein, it is made up of a mix of amino acids and this mix will have various benefits. You have options - try mixing proteins and reducing how much you get from whey? Instead of 50 grams or even 25 grams, what if you got 12 grams from whey, 24 grams from rice, and 12 grams from pea protein or something? Maybe that is inconvenient, I don't know, just throwing it out there.

Also, maybe something like Evomuse Gut Health will help your digestion.

S

SlavicStrong

Awards
Do you post the link please? I've read from more than one source that brown rice protein is incomplete

The link you provided is just saying that brown rice is low in a certain amino acid, which is true. Whey has the benefit of having a higher amount of some amino acids, while brown rice has the benefit of being higher in other amino acids. So technically, it could be argued that whey is superior because of that, but based on my research and personal experience, I do believe brown rice is just as efficient. I don’t have the gelatin study, but this study explains the same effectiveness of whey and rice in resistance training, it also contains a chart of the amino acid profiles.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3698202/

U

user567

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hello all,

I have this huge problem I simply can't solve alone. Maybe you guys can point me in the right direction.

Case A: I have used Muscle Milk with good success when it comes to building muscles. The downside is that it bloats me up, causing my belly to get bigger and also a lot of gas. Plus I get sleepy quickly after eating a pure protein snack bar.

Case B: I have used Orgain Organic plant protein and it helped to flatten my stomach, no gas, or sleepiness. However, I can't pack on any muscles. It seems like plant proteins don't work on the body chemistry as well as milk does.

So what to do here guy? I love the muscles I can pack with milk base proteins but truly hate being bloated and the flatulence. Any other types that would give me muscles without the hideous side effects? Rice, Bean, or whatever else protein?

Thx
Muscle Milk is garbage. You need a Isolate or Hydrolyzed protein with no lactose. You get what you pay for with protein.

In terms of the plant stuff I tried the same experiment. I am very sensitive to lactose so i switched to Vegan Protein. I tried all the "complete" best brands that had all the aminos. Vega Sport, all of them. I tried them for 3 months and lost mass. Noticeably.

I went back to whey Isolate but only 2 scoops daily, 1 in morning and 1 in evening. I mix it with egg whites so each shake is 50grams of protein. The rest is all food and a 3 pound tub of protein only using 2 scoops a day will last a long time. The egg whites make the protein taste great too.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Muscle Milk is garbage. You need a Isolate or Hydrolyzed protein with no lactose. You get what you pay for with protein.

In terms of the plant stuff I tried the same experiment. I am very sensitive to lactose so i switched to Vegan Protein. I tried all the "complete" best brands that had all the aminos. Vega Sport, all of them. I tried them for 3 months and lost mass. Noticeably.

I went back to whey Isolate but only 2 scoops daily, 1 in morning and 1 in evening. I mix it with egg whites so each shake is 50grams of protein. The rest is all food and a 3 pound tub of protein only using 2 scoops a day will last a long time. The egg whites make the protein taste great too.
What type of egg whites are you using ? Not all is digestible by our bodies

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Look into trying a better product like Select Protein from PES. Also consider a lactase (or general enzyme) supplement to help with any dairy issues.

B

Blender

Awards
You are placing way too much emphasis on the muscle that the protein you are consuming in those supplements are providing. I won't say it's in your head, but the body isn't that sensitive. Maybe you are seeing some bloat from the dairy and that is leading you to believe you are getting bigger. In any case, try to get your extra 40-50g in food.
Even if you said it was in my head I know you would be wrong. It is a FACT that milk based proteins have helped me considerably when it comes to putting mass. And yes, the changes happened very quick too while I do the same trainings and hold similar schedules.

Besides the Orgain plant protein, I had also tried Vega protein and at the time I just couldn't understand why I was losing so much mass. I know the bloating from milk proteins may account for two or so extra pounds. However, I can easily reach 10 extra pounds of mass (in two months or three) while I use muscle milk. It's a very noticeable growth that everyone around me can notice when it's happening. My muscles simply respond to the workout more and grow bigger. I have observed this trend many times over. But I'm at a point where the stomach issues just bother me to no end. It's tough, when on a date, to have my stomach keeps on making its own melody. Very embarrassing! Lastly, I don't wanna chose between effective results in the gym vs a flat non irritating stomach. I want both.

B

Blender

Awards
Look into trying a better product like Select Protein from PES. Also consider a lactase (or general enzyme) supplement to help with any dairy issues.
Thx but this product uses the same formulation as muscle milk. Wouldn't I be in the same boat even if it's higher in quality?

U

user567

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thx but this product uses the same formulation as muscle milk. Wouldn't I be in the same boat even if it's higher in quality?
Try
Dymatize ISO
ISOPURE

These have almost zero lactose.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
No, they are not the same formulation. Select has milk protein isolate as its first ingredient. Whatever you end up going with, I would highly recommend a lactase supplement whenever consuming anything remotely dairy.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Stop with real food is better than protein powder schtick. If he is getting a couple meals of food a day and adding 1 or 2 shakes a day it isn’t problem and 1 isn’t better than the other. Probably get more bloated meeting his nutritional requirements through food alone.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My body's not entirely comfortable with lactose either.
Try using a whey protein which is 100% whey isolate. I live in England and we can get 100% non-organic unflavoured whey isolate over here. I noticed that finding the stuff in America is difficult whilst I was at College there, so you could try dymatize ISO or ISOPURE as user567 recommended.

Additionally,
1. Try to always have the shake with some veggies and/or something else containing very little protein. Like at least 200g of at least two kinds of simple things (it may take you 5 minutes to eat but honestly it's often the difference between having or not having flatulence for me)
2. Supplement with some lactase
3. Except immediately post-workout, don't have more than 35/40g of protein in a single shake if it's whey isolate, whey concentrate or hydrolysed whey. This has worked out in personal experience and each person will have an approximate personal gradient. 35 or 40g, a little more or a little less, you can experiment. Immediately post-workout I have ~45-50g of whey and reduce the protein in each shake as the length of time since the last workout and stress levels increase. Similarly if my muscles aren't particularly torn I'll have a little less.
4. The more shakes you've had in a row, the less bio-absorbable whey is. The less bio-absorbable whey is the more protein will undergo gluconeogenesis (which causes flatulence). So try to not have too many shakes in a row

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
Like it has been stated several times. There are much much much better protein options around. I'm sure you can find a brand that works well with your system.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hello all,

Thx
Sounds like you are lactose intolerant to an extent. You can either, skip powders all together or try non whey powders.

PES Vegan
SAN RAW Fusion
Vega

Those are some good brands to try.

You could also try a whey isolate, but that may not solve your issue. For pure isolates, check out Dymatize and AllMax.

AloB

AloB

Awards
I have used organic pea protein in past but the stuff tastes horrible the bcaa content makes up for that though I think..any thoughts guys?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have used organic pea protein in past but the stuff tastes horrible the bcaa content makes up for that though I think..any thoughts guys?
I've never tried PES' Vegan powder, but pretty much all of their supplements on spot on when it comes to taste. I have tried Raw Fusion and it is great.

AloB

AloB

Awards
I've never tried PES' Vegan powder, but pretty much all of their supplements on spot on when it comes to taste. I have tried Raw Fusion and it is great.
I've noticed recently a lot of hype around the vegan and Non GMO supplements or is it just me?

it's just it with regards Whey there's many flavours and Brands the only downside is with so many to choose from there's a lot of BS sneaked in with the ingredients hence the Problems with individuals like my self and others (Skin breakouts) quite hard being a Hard gainer ��