Turmeric, timing of dosage, amount & brand.

Delboss731

Awards
  • Established
Hence the title. Anyone have good suggestions on the best turmeric supplement? Also timing of dosage, amount taken daily & which brand of tumeric. Thank you.

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
I personally love Life Extension. They make quality items and are a good company!

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Life extension is a great one. I personally doubled the suggested dose.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
In to see what people say. I'm read that turmeric reduces IGF-1 and so I can mine before bed

As for dosage I think x0.5-x2 the recommended dose is probably a safe bet. Go too high though and your BO and skin colour change in unwanted ways

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
I use Swanson I think it is 1.44g per day each morning

Delboss731

Awards
  • Established
Nice. Bro I'm going to give a good tumeric supplement a go.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In to see what people say. I'm read that turmeric reduces IGF-1 and so I can mine before bed

As for dosage I think x0.5-x2 the recommended dose is probably a safe bet. Go too high though and your BO and skin colour change in unwanted ways
link to reducing IGF-1?

bonbon

bonbon

Awards
Curcumin increases SIRT1 which in turn decreases IGF-1. Google selfhacked sirt1 (unfortunately can't post links), there's very good explanation.

As you can see, curcumin is far from the only supplement to increase SIRT. It decreases IGF-1 yes, but most of the time it's always some kind of tradeoff. What's healthy is rarely anabolic. AMPK and PPARs upregulation is mostly healthy (decreased inflammation, better blood glucose control, decreased cholesterol, lipid metabolism, etc.) but the same time mTOR is downregulated, IGF-1 is decreased, prostaglandin synthesis diminished.

To better understand the big picture, I strongly recommend to check selfhacked pages for at least AMPK and PPAR alpha, gamma and delta.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Curcumin increases SIRT1 which in turn decreases IGF-1. Google selfhacked sirt1 (unfortunately can't post links), there's very good explanation.

As you can see, curcumin is far from the only supplement to increase SIRT. It decreases IGF-1 yes, but most of the time it's always some kind of tradeoff. What's healthy is rarely anabolic. AMPK and PPARs upregulation is mostly healthy (decreased inflammation, better blood glucose control, decreased cholesterol, lipid metabolism, etc.) but the same time mTOR is downregulated, IGF-1 is decreased, prostaglandin synthesis diminished.

To better understand the big picture, I strongly recommend to check selfhacked pages for at least AMPK and PPAR alpha, gamma and delta.
jameschoi
Regarding what I'd said, pretty sure I read that on either livestrong or selfhacked's pages on IGF-1.
Muscular damage and the ensuing inflammation are necessary for adaptation and growth. Generally anti-inflammatories (including curcumin, ibuprofen, ECGC and most anti-oxidants) reduce inflammation and other growth factors (such as IGF-1).
Under normal circumstances growth and maintenance prefer opposing conditions.

Interestingly, an example of this would be the theory that one of the main causes for women typically living longer than men is their relatively high estrogen. Estrogen is anti-inflammatory and promotes bone and tender repair. It's anti-inflammatory property extends to meaning that it's good at weakening or even alleviating illnesses, including ones which can lead to death. Estrogen (which promotes maintenance) and testosterone (which promotes growth) are inversely related.

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't think there is much difference between c3 complex, Meriva and 95% curcuminoids. One of these would be good, just important that it's the extract not filled with mostly tumeric.
Plain tumeric dose would have to be 5 to 10g.

carney8745

carney8745

Awards
I used Pure Turmeric Curcumin 1300 mg With BioPerine. It works really great. Feel an instant joint and back relief as well as inflammation reduction and better blood circulation and digestion. Not only physical benefits, but also mental ones! Improve your memory, boost your brain function and enhance your whole immune system! Pure perfection!

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Anyone tried the little Turmeric shot they have at Jamba Juice?

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Anyone tried the little Turmeric shot they have at Jamba Juice?
I’m sure it’ll reap some benefit, but I doubt it’s as good as an standardized curcumin extract

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’m sure it’ll reap some benefit, but I doubt it’s as good as an standardized curcumin extract
I saw that Whole Foods have a similar shot that’s cold pressed as well, but you probably right that it’s not enough.

I’m on work trip for another week and I didn’t bring my pills so this shots is better than nothing I guess...

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think tumeric has to be dosed min 5 or 10g to have some effects.
Edit:
And with pioprene and fats to improve absorption.