Supps for gout

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
A family member of mine has gout, could anyone recommend anything to help the situation?

I'm considering recommending curcumin, some other joint health aids (need to do some more research for actual names) and omega 3.

chemjr

chemjr

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Tart cherry extract is best for gout. I would pair with a decent turmeric, I like the one from Puritan dot com because it has 900 mg of root and 100 mg 95% curcuminoids with 5 mg bioperine. And it's cheap. I also like the pair that with cissus, personally I kind of like primaforce. Those are going to be your basic natural anti-inflammatories. Apple cider vinegar will also help balance the alkaline in their body so for the cheap route I would say most fancier grocery stores will have tart cherry drink or pills and pair that with some apple cider vinegar and keep the house stocked with good cranberry juice as well. Similar properties as the tart cherry just not as strong. And if they like to drink a lot of beer or eat a lot of bread and pizza and such I would try to get them to cut down on those. My stepfather had it real bad and try to mask it with beer but the doctor said that was making it even worse. And if they have money to go see a doctor there's a medicine, forget the name at the moment, that will absolutely shut that crap down in no time. Little tiny pills.

ddfox

ddfox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've read some articles in the past about high dosing Vit C for gout. I think it was something in the 3-4g /day or possibly more. But stated that it needs to be increased slowly over a few days as to not trigger an attack.

Rebel1978

Awards
  • Established
Best thing for gout, drink a gallon of water a day, not even close.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Vitamin C
Tart Cherry
Curcumin

There are a few others, but you can get the above for decent value to be used long enough.

Maximiliaan

Awards
Non supplement therapies - Colchicine, think that's the little tiny pills chemjr is talking about.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
Tart Cherry and Vit C can definitely help but nothing compared to what you can get from your doctor. Most cases are cleared up in a few days and the medications are pretty cheap as well. We used to see this all the time in the urgent care.

chemjr

chemjr

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Non supplement therapies - Colchicine, think that's the little tiny pills chemjr is talking about.
Correct! Worked for my stepfather in no time. Relief on first day, said he felt all better after day 3 or 4

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I found for mine, increasing blood flow (agmatine, citrulline), keeping blood sugars low, and bihrakti ( i think that is how you spell it... found in triphala) helped quite a bit. Also, if uric acid is not the only compound that can crystallize to give gout symptoms. Oxalates can do the same. When your microbiota is out of whack (specifically your lactobacillus) are low, the gut will actually produce more oxalates when consuming foods such as spinach and beets instead of sending them out of your body. This would mean the difference between getting 10-20% of the oxalate load from your diet and getting 100-150% of the oxalate load of your diet.

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Furthermore, big no no's for me are super dosing niacin, cimetidine, and I am suspecting MK-677.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I remember tart cherry being one of the best. I also remember an article saying glutamine for its aid for gastrointestinal issues.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
garz Supplement Auction 2
Supplements 13
Supplements 1
Supplement Auction 6
Supplement Auction 6