Carb meal before work out ideas

Daff

Daff

Awards
  • Established
Just wandering what (if any) people eat before a work out, iv just started having oats banana and spoon of penut butter blended 1hr 30 mins before work out, and feel such a difference than a pre alone just after some light on belly pre workout meals

Cheers

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just have my pre workout with waxy maize or intra with it.
Can’t eat anything heavy then train or I will feel sick

Daff

Daff

Awards
  • Established
I just have my pre workout with waxy maize or intra with it.
Can’t eat anything heavy then train or I will feel sick
I find if I have it around 1hr 30 min then my pre 30 min I'm pretty good as long as it's light, I never use to buy I found I get a tighter pump must be from the carbs of I'm doing a cardio then I don't bother I know it's comeing back up

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You can use carb supps or many guys I know use gummies for a quick source of carbs that is easy to store.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It depends on the day. If I am squatting or deadlifting, I will go with something easy on my stomach, and in smaller amounts, such as rice cakes, jasmine rice, cream of wheat, or cream of rice with some fruit. Any other training session I will do the same, but more, or sweet potatoes with fruit.

You can use carb supps or many guys I know use gummies for a quick source of carbs that is easy to store.
I started doing this today. I'm curious to see if there are any benefits.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Just wandering what (if any) people eat before a work out, iv just started having oats banana and spoon of penut butter blended 1hr 30 mins before work out, and feel such a difference than a pre alone just after some light on belly pre workout meals

Cheers
Some do, some do not. Your question is too black and white

Training Fasted:
Some people train fasted and find they have superior energy and mental clarity when they do so. People who practice IF you may see do this more often then those who spread out their meals throughout the day. The factor here is convenience and your schedule. Some people work 9-5 jobs, so they will train first thing, go to work, and then come home so they can food prep, spend time with family etc.. Some train early to avoid the crowded gyms. So they will follow their training with Meal #1 and use BCAA's during fasted training to help flip the catabolic switch of an overnight fast. I would still use a BCAA even if you meet your macros on a daily basis I would not engage in weight training without some form of protein or BCAA to help stay anabolic during a catabolic activity.

Training Fed:
This varies way too much from person to person. You have to play the elimination game on your digestion.
Some people can eat a fiber heavy meal (oats) 5 minutes before training and feel fine, while some may need to wait 90 minutes for it to settle.
If you have a stomach of steel you could get away with any carb source honestly as long as you feel it digests well, and gives you enough energy. How much will you need? Well again varies on your goal, what you need to give you enough energy, and how you handle that carb source.

I find these carb sources settle great for me and a lot of clients I do work with
Rice Cakes, Cream of Rice, Cream of Wheat, Rice (White & Brown), Pasta (White and Whole Wheat), Bagel's, English Muffins, Potatoes & Bananas
I am a fan of potatoes and banana's due to the potassium which can help electrolyte balance and also aid in pumps. Some people find potatoes are way too heavy on their stomach so they avoid them.

Other sources you could use and you could just vary the amounts to meet your macros and what settles easy
Honey, Cereal, Trail Mix, Granola

Some people who need just a little bit of calories or energy will settle with a protein bar, this again is risky. Some of them contain a ton of sugar alcohols or sweeteners which can cause bloating and indigestion.

Again this is an experiment you have to figure out. There is no 1 size fits all for any human. You may need food 2 hours before, 5 minutes before, or train without any . I would try different situations, food sources, and then run them for 4-8 weeks and see how you respond. Then switch it up and see how you do with something different. Take notes and adjust amounts on what gives you Optimal performance

Daff

Daff

Awards
  • Established
Some do, some do not. Your question is too black and white

Training Fasted:
Some people train fasted and find they have superior energy and mental clarity when they do so. People who practice IF you may see do this more often then those who spread out their meals throughout the day. The factor here is convenience and your schedule. Some people work 9-5 jobs, so they will train first thing, go to work, and then come home so they can food prep, spend time with family etc.. Some train early to avoid the crowded gyms. So they will follow their training with Meal #1 and use BCAA's during fasted training to help flip the catabolic switch of an overnight fast. I would still use a BCAA even if you meet your macros on a daily basis I would not engage in weight training without some form of protein or BCAA to help stay anabolic during a catabolic activity.

Training Fed:
This varies way too much from person to person. You have to play the elimination game on your digestion.
Some people can eat a fiber heavy meal (oats) 5 minutes before training and feel fine, while some may need to wait 90 minutes for it to settle.
If you have a stomach of steel you could get away with any carb source honestly as long as you feel it digests well, and gives you enough energy. How much will you need? Well again varies on your goal, what you need to give you enough energy, and how you handle that carb source.

I find these carb sources settle great for me and a lot of clients I do work with
Rice Cakes, Cream of Rice, Cream of Wheat, Rice (White & Brown), Pasta (White and Whole Wheat), Bagel's, English Muffins, Potatoes & Bananas
I am a fan of potatoes and banana's due to the potassium which can help electrolyte balance and also aid in pumps. Some people find potatoes are way too heavy on their stomach so they avoid them.

Other sources you could use and you could just vary the amounts to meet your macros and what settles easy
Honey, Cereal, Trail Mix, Granola

Some people who need just a little bit of calories or energy will settle with a protein bar, this again is risky. Some of them contain a ton of sugar alcohols or sweeteners which can cause bloating and indigestion.

Again this is an experiment you have to figure out. There is no 1 size fits all for any human. You may need food 2 hours before, 5 minutes before, or train without any . I would try different situations, food sources, and then run them for 4-8 weeks and see how you respond. Then switch it up and see how you do with something different. Take notes and adjust amounts on what gives you Optimal performance
Cheers for the advice, I didn't think of writeing down il think of found my sweet spot at about 1hr 30/2hrs but I'll try for 4weeks then switch up spot on, thanks again for your time bro

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I eat 50-100g of rice cakes.

I noticed a huge difference, just pumps and also my strength.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I eat 50-100g of rice cakes.

I noticed a huge difference, just pumps and also my strength.
add sea salt on top of them. Thank me later.

How much carbs is that.
Lightly salted are 7g of carbs each
Regular rice cakes around 11g each
Mini Rice Cakes are 13g of carbs for 8 rice cakes.

So it could vary

DEVANS89

DEVANS89

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Could just download MyFitnessPal to keep track of carbs or just to find out macros of food you are looking to try out

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
TheSolution pretty much nailed it. I'd take his advice and try some of it and see what works for you...

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
I have done this a time or two but, I can say I notice a pretty big difference using an intra with carbs vs. not

TrainerTone

TrainerTone

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have a half cup of cream of rice with a scoop of protein powder mixed in or 1 or 2 Clif bars depending on how many carbs I want to get into which I determine by what I’m working on that given day. I usually consume this 30-45 min prior to my workout and feel fine.

Daff

Daff

Awards
  • Established
I have a half cup of cream of rice with a scoop of protein powder mixed in or 1 or 2 Clif bars depending on how many carbs I want to get into which I determine by what I’m working on that given day. I usually consume this 30-45 min prior to my workout and feel fine.
That sounds good that bro

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Cheers bro, Il do some reserch, is a low iodine not good ?

Sent from my SM-J500FN using AnabolicMinds mobile app
Iodine has been added to table salt since the 1920s to help prevent thyroid issues. I think he's just saying that if you end up switching your main salt source from regular table salt to sea salt, that you might want to be aware of this and make sure you're getting sufficient iodine from other sources.

Daff

Daff

Awards
  • Established
Iodine has been added to table salt since the 1920s to help prevent thyroid issues. I think he's just saying that if you end up switching your main salt source from regular table salt to sea salt, that you might want to be aware of this and make sure you're getting sufficient iodine from other sources.
Thanks bro

wdarmy15

wdarmy15

Awards
I've done both fasted and fed. I workout at 345 am so I've experimented in the past with a pre protein shake, overnight oats and rice milk. The thing that worked best for me was a simple honey stinger waffle. I can find them cheap at the store, less than a buck a peice. And they have around 36 grams of fast absorbing carbs to fuel me. I really like doing them pre workout on a bulk. Or even the gummies. They are delicious

monsterish

monsterish

Awards
I eat a cup of oats with two scoops of protein 30 min before workout.
Works great for me. Great energy with minimal bloat.
Drinking orange juice intra works good too.

Daff

Daff

Awards
  • Established
I've done both fasted and fed. I workout at 345 am so I've experimented in the past with a pre protein shake, overnight oats and rice milk. The thing that worked best for me was a simple honey stinger waffle. I can find them cheap at the store, less than a buck a peice. And they have around 36 grams of fast absorbing carbs to fuel me. I really like doing them pre workout on a bulk. Or even the gummies. They are delicious
Cheers bro

Daff

Daff

Awards
  • Established
I eat a cup of oats with two scoops of protein 30 min before workout.
Works great for me. Great energy with minimal bloat.
Drinking orange juice intra works good too.
I had that today bro, was spot on

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
It depends on the day. If I am squatting or deadlifting, I will go with something easy on my stomach, and in smaller amounts, such as rice cakes, jasmine rice, cream of wheat, or cream of rice with some fruit. Any other training session I will do the same, but more, or sweet potatoes with fruit.

I started doing this today. I'm curious to see if there are any benefits.
I think its more about the quick boost of energy and the ease of travel and availability. You forget you can get just about anywhere.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards

Cheers
A good healthy bowl of cereal, rolled oats, or cream of wheat. Paired with egg whites, fish oil and my Tru Multi from PEScience with an ice cold bottle of Ice Mountain water. That to me is the perfect pre workout meal. I usually eat it about an hour - hour and a half before I get to the gym.

Daff

Daff

Awards
  • Established
A good healthy bowl of cereal, rolled oats, or cream of wheat. Paired with egg whites, fish oil and my Tru Multi from PEScience with an ice cold bottle of Ice Mountain water. That to me is the perfect pre workout meal. I usually eat it about an hour - hour and a half before I get to the gym.
Cheers bro

Daff

Daff

Awards
  • Established
Thanks everyone for for takeing time for your input, MUCH APPRECIATED you can't beat knowledge and expirence

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ive done fasted and watched my strength slip, after I added in back food before training strength went up

When its a bodypart I want to improve on, and want my strength to show, I like to get in quite a bit of carbs before training

Daff

Daff

Awards
  • Established
Ive done fasted and watched my strength slip, after I added in back food before training strength went up

When its a bodypart I want to improve on, and want my strength to show, I like to get in quite a bit of carbs before training
Cheers bro

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards

I agree. Fasted cardio is the only time to not take in carbs.