L-Citrulline

  1. L-Citrulline


    I know that L-Citrulline is a very beneficial pre-workout ingredient if you're after a solid pump, but how long is it effective for? I normally take it as part of a pre-workout and drink it whilst on the 30-45 minute journey to the gym, but are the effects and benefits of L-Citrulline only acute and short lived? Or can it have a build up effect leading to better and faster pumps over time/long term use?

    •   
       


  2. I would assume the longer you use it the more you build resistance. I know the more I used the more I needed for the same effect.
    Mind and Muscle Code AM10 WWW.mindandmuscle.com 10% off
    Muscle Research Code AM10 www.mrsupps.com 10% off
    Iconic Formulations and Iron Legion Code Chef www.iconicformulations.com 25% off

  3. Quote Originally Posted by cheftepesh1 View Post
    I would assume the longer you use it the more you build resistance. I know the more I used the more I needed for the same effect.
    Can you build up a tolerance to an amino acid? My thinking was along the lines of Beatine and Creatine, which have a build up effect and get better/become more effective the longer you take them.

    I thought tolerance build up only happened with things like stims, noots and natty anabolics?
  4. L-Citrulline


    Quote Originally Posted by InItForGainz View Post
    Can you build up a tolerance to an amino acid? My thinking was along the lines of Beatine and Creatine, which have a build up effect and get better/become more effective the longer you take them.

    I thought tolerance build up only happened with things like stims, noots and natty anabolics?
    you are right, there is no tolerance buildup. but also no real effect that has to build up. 6-8g citrullin malate are gtg. there are studies that suggest a better endurance but no studies yet that confirm an increase in strength as well.

    overall its very healthy to consume citrullin. for health benefits, 3g are plenty. for endurance/pump take 6-8g citrullin malate or 4-6g l-citrullin about 50-60min before your training.

    and for more detailed information, check my examine link. this is a summarize of all existing studies on citrullin.
    •   
       


  5. Quote Originally Posted by iamyourfather View Post
    you are right, there is no tolerance buildup. but also no real effect that has to build up. 6-8g citrullin malate are gtg. there are studies that suggest a better endurance but no studies yet that confirm an increase in strength as well.

    overall its very healthy to consume citrullin. for health benefits, 3g are plenty. for endurance/pump take 6-8g citrullin malate or 4-6g l-citrullin about 50-60min before your training.

    and for more detailed information, check my examine link. this is a summarize of all existing studies on citrullin.
    I usually use 4-6g of pure L-Citrulline if I'm looking to increase pump. I find that malate is better for endurance and the purer form better for pumps. I suppose that the increased levels of Arginine (from Citrulline supplementation) would have some sort of build up effect over time.

    I read through the examine page but did't really get much conclusions form it, most of them seemed to have little to-no conclusive human data.
  6. L-Citrulline


    Quote Originally Posted by InItForGainz View Post
    I usually use 4-6g of pure L-Citrulline if I'm looking to increase pump. I find that malate is better for endurance and the purer form better for pumps. I suppose that the increased levels of Arginine (from Citrulline supplementation) would have some sort of build up effect over time.

    I read through the examine page but did't really get much conclusions form it, most of them seemed to have little to-no conclusive human data.

    hmm i dont know if there is a difference between malate and non-malate citrullin in regards of pumps or endurance. but just take the one you prefer, the cheaper one ;-)

    maybe there really is a little bit of a buildup effect, but even without daily dosing, the acute effects are there. beside that i think - i use it before every workout, so thats 6 times a week - you use it for every workout as well? so if there is a benefit in regards of pump/endurance, i will have it anyway.

    for health benefits you can take it on off days in doses of ~3g and be safe IF there is a little buildup effect.

    maybe you can search on pubmed if there are a few more human studies but it seems like there is just not more data available :/

  7. Quote Originally Posted by iamyourfather View Post
    hmm i dont know if there is a difference between malate and non-malate citrullin in regards of pumps or endurance. but just take the one you prefer, the cheaper one ;-)

    maybe there really is a little bit of a buildup effect, but even without daily dosing, the acute effects are there. beside that i think - i use it before every workout, so thats 6 times a week - you use it for every workout as well? so if there is a benefit in regards of pump/endurance, i will have it anyway.

    for health benefits you can take it on off days in doses of ~3g and be safe IF there is a little buildup effect.

    maybe you can search on pubmed if there are a few more human studies but it seems like there is just not more data available :/
    I don't know if there's a scientific difference but personally I feel the pump effects better from pure L-Citrulline.
    I don't use Citrulline before every workout, mainly on lower carb days or days where I workout fasted. I've already searched quite a few websites before I made this thread. I prefer answers from this forum though because it's thoughts and experiences from real people who actually do and use things like this.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. citrulline malate
    By wookie429 in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 11:11 AM
  2. Citrulline Malate opinions? & my Stack Idea
    By Angular Air in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-27-2005, 10:10 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-05-2004, 10:25 PM
Log in
Log in