Best supplements for your heart

Sss23

Awards
  • Established
Dad has heart problems, not extremely serious but high bp, history of heart attack (his father)

I know hawthorn can help bp and Fish oil is good anything else? Thanks

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Magnesium - for hearth I thing magnesium taurate was best.
Vitamin K
COQ10

iamyourfather

iamyourfather

Awards
if you use fish oil, check that you have 3g EPA/DHA to get the maximum benefits.
most capsules have about 180mg EPA/120mg DHA or something in it, so it would be 10 capsules for example.

next point is that there should be a very balanced ration of EPA/DHA. some companies produce bull**** in the 1:5 ratio or so - that’s nonsense.

also check, if you can find a product without vitamin e; it doesnt help with oxidation (companies claim that it helps but in real they are just adding it to have a later best before date to produce more at once!). it also may has some negative effects on the body and it has for sure not only one positive effect. its extremely senseless and maybe even harmful!

fish oil should be stored in the fridge or freezer chest to make sure that it doesn’t oxidate.

imho fish oil is the best supp and the one with ****loads of research behind it, proving its effectiveness.

i would recommend to search for some other products on google and check if its legit, backed up with science, on examine.com

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
if you use fish oil, check that you have 3g EPA/DHA to get the maximum benefits.
most capsules have about 180mg EPA/120mg DHA or something in it, so it would be 10 capsules for example.

next point is that there should be a very balanced ration of EPA/DHA. some companies produce bull**** in the 1:5 ratio or so - that’s nonsense.

also check, if you can find a product without vitamin e; it doesnt help with oxidation (companies claim that it helps but in real they are just adding it to have a later best before date to produce more at once!). it also may has some negative effects on the body and it has for sure not only one positive effect. its extremely senseless and maybe even harmful!

fish oil should be stored in the fridge or freezer chest to make sure that it doesn’t oxidate.

imho fish oil is the best supp and the one with ****loads of research behind it, proving its effectiveness.

i would recommend to search for some other products on google and check if its legit, backed up with science, on examine.com
this doesn't get mentioned nearly enough, imo....I always store fish oil in fridge once it has been opened!!!

iamyourfather

iamyourfather

Awards
this doesn't get mentioned nearly enough, imo....I always store fish oil in fridge once it has been opened!!!
yes! but i would store it in the fridge immediately after buying it - even if its still closed. just to be safe

Voldyne

Awards
Yeah....for sure. I would hope everyone does this, I think it says to do so right on the bottles.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I've heard COQ10 and vitamin E are both good for your heart.

The Express 42

The Express 42

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Coq10 and Flaxseed Oil

iamyourfather

iamyourfather

Awards
Coq10 and Flaxseed Oil
do you think flaxseed oil is good for its omega 3 fatty acids?

if so - sadly its not. its contains ALA which converts in the human body only to 4-6% into EPA/DHA. (these are the two fatty acids that are needed) and to get a good dose of them - the best dose is about 3g EPA/DHA - you will need way too much flaxseed oil.

vegetable oils or vegetables in general are not sufficient to match a really healthy dose of EPA/DHA. if you dont eat ~200g of fatty salmon per day, i would highly recommend to supplement with a good and lab tested fish oil.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
yes! but i would store it in the fridge immediately after buying it - even if its still closed. just to be safe
it wouldn't hurt....I usually don't stockpile large amounts!!!

another supp that I use regularly is SAMe.

RisingFire

Awards
do you think flaxseed oil is good for its omega 3 fatty acids?

if so - sadly its not. its contains ALA which converts in the human body only to 4-6% into EPA/DHA. (these are the two fatty acids that are needed) and to get a good dose of them - the best dose is about 3g EPA/DHA - you will need way too much flaxseed oil.

vegetable oils or vegetables in general are not sufficient to match a really healthy dose of EPA/DHA. if you dont eat ~200g of fatty salmon per day, i would highly recommend to supplement with a good and lab tested fish oil.
This is almost true, the exception being Algale oil which is very high in EPA/DHA. Its what I use.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
From my experience COQ10 is the best for cardiac aid. I know Iforce has a heart help sold @ mindandmuscle and MR supps sells premium powders COQ10 @ MRsupps.com. Personally I am currently using both.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

This guy gets it. Unsaturated fats are highly unstable, and are prone to oxidation. Fish oil is one of the worst because the length of time fish takes to be processed after caught. Always pop open a cap or two and do a sniff test. If it smells bad, take it back.

Oxidized fish oil is no longer beneficial for your health, and instead is actually harmful.

As for other supps, COQ10, Hawthorne Berry, etc

Wagner83

Awards
Vitamin c.
Good digestion is always a good idea.

Possibly vitamin K2 mk4, it may need to be balanced with other fat soluble vitamins.

iamyourfather

iamyourfather

Awards
Vitamin c.

Possibly vitamin K2 mk4, it may need to be balanced with other fat soluble vitamins.
mk4 is actually not the right form, this gets hardly digested/the body cant use ist.

you must buy mk7, and not the cis form but the all-trans form! if you have access, buy a microencapsulated version because vitamin k2 isnt that stable; generally this vitamin is moat of the time extremely underdosed or not even really in the product!

so make sure to buy a reliable source!

and the best is to take it together with your fish oil, vitamin d3

Wagner83

Awards
mk4 is actually not the right form, this gets hardly digested/the body cant use ist.

you must buy mk7, and not the cis form but the all-trans form! if you have access, buy a microencapsulated version because vitamin k2 isnt that stable; generally this vitamin is moat of the time extremely underdosed or not even really in the product!

so make sure to buy a reliable source!

and the best is to take it together with your fish oil, vitamin d3
I don't think this is true at all, vitamin k2 mk4 is a drug in Japan, and a successful one (glakay). The vitamin k that may be less absorbed is vitamin k1 (plants) which may be converted by bacteria to the effective vitamin k2 somewhere in the digestive tract. Vitamin k2 mk4 has no toxicity, I think mk7 has.

I'm not sure why on earth people supplement fish oil, if one really wants PUFAs then he could eat fatty fish.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
With solidified cardiac issues, he shouldn't be mixing and matching pharmaceuticals and OTC supplements. Fish oil can thin the blood, I'd imagine he may already be on warfarin or something of similar nature. If he is taking alpha/beta blocker for its positive inotropic action, you don't want to be having him take supplements that may be metabolizes by the same enzymes the prescriptive drugs are metabolizes by like cyp2d6, or cyp2c6.. as you may lessen the effect of his medically perscribed medication. If he suffered a heart attack, his EF must be reduced to some extent, so with that being said.. I'd HIGHLY suggest Arjuna Extract.. as the number one addition to his mix..

BUT.. you would have to check contraindications with any pharma meds he is taking

Wagner83

Awards
Vitamin c.

Btw I don't recommend anything, just throwing in some ideas that the OP may find value looking into.

Sss23

Awards
  • Established
With solidified cardiac issues, he shouldn't be mixing and matching pharmaceuticals and OTC supplements. Fish oil can thin the blood, I'd imagine he may already be on warfarin or something of similar nature. If he is taking alpha/beta blocker for its positive inotropic action, you don't want to be having him take supplements that may be metabolizes by the same enzymes the prescriptive drugs are metabolizes by like cyp2d6, or cyp2c6.. as you may lessen the effect of his medically perscribed medication. If he suffered a heart attack, his EF must be reduced to some extent, so with that being said.. I'd HIGHLY suggest Arjuna Extract.. as the number one addition to his mix..

BUT.. you would have to check contraindications with any pharma meds he is taking
What is Arjuna extract?

huxley309

huxley309

Awards
  • Established
You really need to be careful about any interactions, coq10 is safe and regarded as the best.
Fresh pomegranate juice is great, but that can and will interact with come blood thinners.
Statins can interact as well, anything with bromelain is a big nono.

Garlic/d-ribose, alcar, lycopene, reservatrol there's plenty to choose from.

I personally love krill oil, pricey but worth it.
Ashwaghanda is a good adaptogenic, reduces stress, improves cholesterol levels.

CATdiesel76

CATdiesel76

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

Not all vitamin E is created equal. A synthetic single form of vitamin E is far different than a full spectrum natural source product like toco 8/palm fruit extract which is exteremely heart healthy and has loads of research supporting it

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
L arginine does wonders..5g a day with 10k iu of liquid d3 is what I do to clean up the pipes of plaque

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not all vitamin E is created equal. A synthetic single form of vitamin E is far different than a full spectrum natural source product like toco 8/palm fruit extract which is exteremely heart healthy and has loads of research supporting it
^^^^this is true on Vitamin E.

I can't believe the number of people offering Medical advice in this thread.

CATdiesel76

CATdiesel76

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I think a good coq10 product is a safe and solid recommendation. Especially if your father is prescribed statins which lower your coq10 levels and even most doctors reccomend to supplement it while on statins

iamyourfather

iamyourfather

Awards
^^^^this is true on Vitamin E.

I can't believe the number of people offering Medical advice in this thread.
no its not. yes, there is a difference in natural and synthetic vitamin e but there is still absolutely NO benefit of supplementing vitamin E if there is no medical indication!

„One study has noted a potential increase in heart failure with supplementation of moderate doses of vitamin E in metabolically unwell patients over the long-term. The effects of prolonged vitamin E supplementation in those without any metabolic complications has not been studied to date.“

„Vitamin E supplementation has either no effect or slightly negative effects on glucose levels and various cardiovascular risk factors in type II diabetics, with one measure oxidation and triglyceride levels being the only minor exceptions.“

https://examine.com/supplements/vitamin-e/

„„I think it's fairly clear at this point that high-dose vitamin E does no good for cancer or cardiovascular outcomes, and probably does some harm. Overall, I don't see much point in supplementing vitamin E unless there's a very good, medically-indicated reason for it.“

so please tell me, why one should use fish oil with vitamin e or even vitamin e only?! there is NO reason!

CATdiesel76

CATdiesel76

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
no its not. yes, there is a difference in natural and synthetic vitamin e but there is still absolutely NO benefit of supplementing vitamin E if there is no medical indication!

„One study has noted a potential increase in heart failure with supplementation of moderate doses of vitamin E in metabolically unwell patients over the long-term. The effects of prolonged vitamin E supplementation in those without any metabolic complications has not been studied to date.“

„Vitamin E supplementation has either no effect or slightly negative effects on glucose levels and various cardiovascular risk factors in type II diabetics, with one measure oxidation and triglyceride levels being the only minor exceptions.“

„„I think it's fairly clear at this point that high-dose vitamin E does no good for cancer or cardiovascular outcomes, and probably does some harm. Overall, I don't see much point in supplementing vitamin E unless there's a very good, medically-indicated reason for it.“

so please tell me, why one should use fish oil with vitamin e or even vitamin e only?! there is NO reason!
You missed the part about single form vitamin E. Yeah using a crappy alpha-tocopherol synthesized or altered from soy beans is going to not be healthy stand-alone. Vitamin E has 8 forms:

alpha-tocopherol
beta-tocopherol
gamma-tocopherol
delta-tocopherol

The tocotrienol family -
alpha-tocotrienol
beta-tocotrienol
gamma-tocotrienol
delta-tocotrienol.

A natural full spectrum product containing all 8 of these such as botanical crafts product has numerous studies proving health benefits. Wrapping a product such as this up with all the ****ty single form vitamin E products is plain wrong. In fact, the link you provided mentions the other forms but the studies were done with the single form alpha-tocopherol

Now to your point of crappy vitamin E sources in fish oil I don’t disagree.

But saying all vitamin E is bad is simply not the case

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

No, not you again.....

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established

On point. Fish oil is a cure all. Inflammation being the best that goes for joints and heart. I believe higher epa to dha is best. No mercury.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Really surprised no one has mentioned nattokinase. Fantastic for cardiovascular health.

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
When I was younger I popped a niacin pill before a workout... Knarly pumps. It helps circulation, which would help your heart. And controls cholesterol

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
Magnesium, vitamin K, resveratrol, curcumin, vitamin d. D-ribose, curcumin.

shockrock3

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
IF you can still find it, Nimbus Nutrition "Cadence" was made especially for your heart, contains Indian Gooseberry Capros & Astaxanthin

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
Yea I think we covered all the supps... The main focus is diet and a healthy lifestyle. Eat that oatmeal. Get that protein veggies fruits. Cardio is just as important of not more important than weights. These supps will work, but not of your eating processed GMO crap food. It's ****in simple. KISS it (keep it simple stupid) healthy food. Cardio. Weights. Yoga and stretching will not only make you healthier stronger and more stable, it will protect against injuries. After I've been doing yoga for 2 months, my health has improved, quality of life, joint relief, and the focus... Holy crap the focus. It will absolutely help you're heart

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have learned a lot of reading about this from the internet.

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For sure, Vitamin K should be on the list!