Supplements and Cholesterol

Tank88

Tank88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hi guys

So i've just got a quick question, do supplements have an effect on your cholesterol levels? Are there any supplements you should stay away from when your cholesterol levels are high? I'm just asking since i got my cholesterol tested this week and it came back pretty high, which will lead to a lot of diet changes. I was told to stop consuming dairy products, would this mean that i would have to cut down on protein powder too? I was planning on starting either a laxo or epi run in the next few weeks, but not sure if i should stay away from supplements until my cholesterol gets back in check

Ase_james

Awards
Hi guys

So i've just got a quick question, do supplements have an effect on your cholesterol levels? Are there any supplements you should stay away from when your cholesterol levels are high? I'm just asking since i got my cholesterol tested this week and it came back pretty high, which will lead to a lot of diet changes. I was told to stop consuming dairy products, would this mean that i would have to cut down on protein powder too? I was planning on starting either a laxo or epi run in the next few weeks, but not sure if i should stay away from supplements until my cholesterol gets back in check
Well, testosterone basically rund on cholesterol. So just about any run will possibly increase your cholesterol levels.

If it were me, id work hard on bringing it to a normal level. I dont have much experience in the "supplement" world. But from what ive learned in the past couple years doing homework on it, it can be a problem.

Tank88

Tank88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ok, so probably gonna leave the test booster i got in the closet for now...i don't want to start medication to get this down, so i'm going to put the work in to get it down, it will be beneficial in all aspects. I was going to ask my doctors about this, but with all due respect, i don't think they know any of these supplements

Tank88

Tank88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Fish oil can help cholesterol
Thanks man, i'll give that a try too. I've got 3 months to get this fixed, like i said earlier, i don't really want to go on medication

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Brazil nuts. A study was done where 4 Brazil nuts lowered cholesterol in 9 hours by 30 points (that’s faster than statins work) and after a month the cholesterol levels still stayed down. Might have something to do with Brazil nuts high selenium content which is crazy high. But be careful with Brazil nuts. Selenium toxicity is real and I personally think 4 or so a month is more than enough

Tank88

Tank88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Brazil nuts. A study was done where 4 Brazil nuts lowered cholesterol in 9 hours by 30 points (that’s faster than statins work) and after a month the cholesterol levels still stayed down. Might have something to do with Brazil nuts high selenium content which is crazy high. But be careful with Brazil nuts. Selenium toxicity is real and I personally think 4 or so a month is more than enough
Any idea where to find these? wholefoods maybe?

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Any idea where to find these? wholefoods maybe?
Whole Foods yea and they should have them at pretty much any grocery store. I’m serious though don’t start eating them everyday and snacking on them like a normal food. The selenium content is very high

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
if this is true it would be a great thing...brazil nuts are also reported to increase testosterone!!!

Tank88

Tank88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Whole Foods yea and they should have them at pretty much any grocery store. I’m serious though don’t start eating them everyday and snacking on them like a normal food. The selenium content is very high
Thanks man, i'll try these and stick to the 4 per month.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
First thing is, what did your Doc mean by Cholesterol is high? How high we talking? Is it total Cholesterol, high LDL, high LDL-C or -p?

Cholesterol is only 'harmful' if it is made up of a lot of small, dense particles. A total count doesn't give you this information. Your doc is also neglecting to mention that dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol have negligible effect on each other. If LDL-p is at a dangerous level, then losing weight and reducing carb intake are your two best options.