Saint Johns Wort

rowz4broz

rowz4broz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have noticed this is not too often brought up on AM, anyone have any experience using this?

Interested in some first hand accounts of how it treated you.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I have heard good things about it working on depression and mood. Never tried myself.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I've thought about giving it a try, as SSRI are often used for anxiety, and it seems I have much better days when I take anxiety medication the night before. But, I do not use it more than once a week usually and would like to feel my best all the time. Lol

It is advised to not combine St Johns Wort with any pharmaceutical medicines though.

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
I've thought about giving it a try, as SSRI are often used for anxiety, and it seems I have much better days when I take anxiety medication the night before. But, I do not use it more than once a week usually and would like to feel my best all the time. Lol

It is advised to not combine St Johns Wort with any pharmaceutical medicines though.
I think there can be issues with OTC supplements too. IIRC, you're not supposed to mix OL Ignit3 with St. Johns Wort.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

This is the reason I have never taken it on a consistent basis, just periodically in the form of IGNIT3.

Too many interactions with pharmaceuticals and who knows how many supplements that are influenced by the CYP3A4 liver enzyme.

rowz4broz

rowz4broz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Interesting.. I bought a bottle anyway. I did want to give it a try as I see a lot of positive reviews towards it.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I think there can be issues with OTC supplements too. IIRC, you're not supposed to mix OL Ignit3 with St. Johns Wort.
I think that’s because Ignite already has it in it if I remember correctly.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
This is the reason I have never taken it on a consistent basis, just periodically in the form of IGNIT3.

Too many interactions with pharmaceuticals and who knows how many supplements that are influenced by the CYP3A4 liver enzyme.
I’d like to give it a shot but need to see how and if it would effect the use of an Anticholinergic. I know people should also taper off of it as well when they decide to stop taking it.

My friends mom took it for a while but I think they found out she was having hormone issues and once they fixed that, she no longer needed it.

skinnybones

skinnybones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I went thru about a half bottle of it about a year ago.
It did work for depression and well-being but I felt like I was letting people get away with too much ****. I wasn’t the normal dick I was used to being every day. You know what I mean so I just quit it. Felt like I wasn’t standing up for myself like I normally do
Lol

skinnybones

skinnybones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I guess I enjoyed being more aggressive rather than passive.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Interesting.. I bought a bottle anyway. I did want to give it a try as I see a lot of positive reviews towards it.
You will have to report back with your thoughts!
I’d like to give it a shot but need to see how and if it would effect the use of an Anticholinergic. I know people should also taper off of it as well when they decide to stop taking it.

My friends mom took it for a while but I think they found out she was having hormone issues and once they fixed that, she no longer needed it.
If you are concerned about a particular prescription interaction, I am sure you can find out if they are contraindicated online (you probably already know this).

Would be interested to hear about your experience too if you decide to give it a shot..

rowz4broz

rowz4broz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
X2

Seeing as you've already bought it, what about a log?
ill post some of my feedback in here..
Im terrible at keeping up with logs lol

edit-bought it through the site with prime.. will be here friday :)

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
I think that’s because Ignite already has it in it if I remember correctly.
Ah, I stand corrected! There was some warning with Ignit3 because of the SJW. Maybe it was to not take with certain meds, as others have mentioned.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
We keep it around and since my wife has me fill her weekly supplement holder, I sneak in the SJW around PMS time and it takes the grumpiness from an 8 to a 3 on a 1-10 scale. It really works wonders for mood and though they say it takes build up, I nor my wife have noticed that.

I used to take it more, but like mentioned above, it started to move me into a non caring mode and that's not good. You need your ups and downs and sideways to feel alive.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No. Xanax makes you feel like you took something, SJW is much more subtle.

In order of the not caring mood from strongest to least, IMO-
xanax
valium
tianeptine
kratom
lithium
SJW
aniracetam

sapo59

sapo59

Awards
I took it for years for depression. Works great to make you feel better. I took through many cycles and with who knows how many other drugs/ supplements. Never had any adverse drug interactions.

Phildago55

Awards
I have noticed this is not too often brought up on AM, anyone have any experience using this?

Interested in some first hand accounts of how it treated you.
Its a MAOI. It can work, but there are medications that are more effective and safer to use.

The side effects associated with any MAOI are present, and it takes at least 4 weeks for the effects to really kick in.

I'd recommend going to a doctor, and trying to reach your goals with real medication. It's not only more effective, but it might be cheaper as well (depending on insurance)

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Its a MAOI. It can work, but there are medications that are more effective and safer to use.

The side effects associated with any MAOI are present, and it takes at least 4 weeks for the effects to really kick in.

I'd recommend going to a doctor, and trying to reach your goals with real medication. It's not only more effective, but it might be cheaper as well (depending on insurance)
Most “real” medication will take a few weeks as well. This is typically why you get put on a Benzo and SSRI at the same time, then slowly taper off of the Benzo once the SSRI begins to start working.

Phildago55

Awards
Most “real” medication will take a few weeks as well. This is typically why you get put on a Benzo and SSRI at the same time, then slowly taper off of the Benzo once the SSRI begins to start working.
Of course they would. Real medications are the exact same thing as herbal medication, except herbals have unregulated dosages that vary from product to product and batch to batch. It's more effective to have a reliable dosage to work with so that you can adjust to an effective dosage.

Benzos can be a good Kickstart for anxiety treatment if someone is experiencing panic attacks, however they aren't optimal for general anxiety.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Of course they would. Real medications are the exact same thing as herbal medication, except herbals have unregulated dosages that vary from product to product and batch to batch. It's more effective to have a reliable dosage to work with so that you can adjust to an effective dosage.

Benzos can be a good Kickstart for anxiety treatment if someone is experiencing panic attacks, however they aren't optimal for general anxiety.
I agree, I just didn’t want him to think that the pharmaceutical route would be a lot quicker.

Phildago55

Awards
The only benefit to using sjw (over pharmaceuticals) that I can think of is convenience. Even then the convinience factor is minimal since doctors will normally prescribe an antidepressant or Anxiolytic with a single visit

chemjr

chemjr

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Go ahead and try it, at one cap even if a dose is two or three, to see how it treats you. If you are on any ssri/maoi scripts I would advise against it yet again I know a fe,ale that found the perfect combo with St John's wort and her bipolar med so all are different. Just do it on a day where you can possibly sit on the couch feeling weird as **** bc it can also interact with different otc supps as well. It's a touchy subject but I always say give it a try as you just never know. For ,e it was like sam-E, taken once and I feel great for a few days but if taken e be ryday it make nutty.

I have found splice in something called albizia, a TCM supp. A lot of that Chinese stuff works Great for mood. Also use he shou woo. Both help with a help a happy mood. The former more so of a stimulating happy, making less of a sloth and the latter making a calm happy and bit horny/calm jolly feeling.

Atm I am using a stack for sh1tty mood and that is brain awake by Irwin Naturals + 5htp + l tyrosine + l theanine, amd some DMAE if I'm looking for some super brain as well.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me as I have played with almost all the brain aids out there and have found that the simple ones *in the right ratios and dosages* make all the difference than some fancy new stuff that costs an arm and a leg that don't have much info on them.

Oh, choline has a marked effect on depression/ mood lifting capabilities and I just buy choline/ inositol combo from NOW Foods bc it's also good if you Ever run orals. All the old heads from back in the 70's and 80's took it for same reason - cleanses fatty liver and helps cholesterol levels as well. You find many of these help in more than one way but if it makes you feel good then that's just an added bonus right? Best of luck, take care and be happy and healthy brother
-Chem out

chemjr

chemjr

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

" real medications are the exact same thing as herbal medications"- have to disagree big-time on this one sir. Herbal medications can be stopped much easier than prescription ones and prescription medications come with many many side effects that herbal medications most times do not have or are much less severe. I'm speaking from personal experience of course. Every antidepressant or related drug doctors have put me on have made me feel either extremely manic, suicidal, or one even had a very odd side effect that made me want to speak in rhymes constantly as if I was some kind of eloquent rapper. It was very odd. And when they took me off these meds there was a period of dullness where I felt like nothing mattered and an h-bomb could have been dropped on my town and I wouldn't have cared or noticed. I haven't ever experienced any of those type of side effects with herbal supplements and I have taken damn near everything that's out there. I have two very large medicine cabinets at my house one of which is an antique ice chest the other one the same size. So in my personal opinion I would have to say that RX brain medications are far more dangerous than an herbal alternative.
The only benefit to using sjw (over pharmaceuticals) that I can think of is convenience. Even then the convinience factor is minimal since doctors will normally prescribe an antidepressant or Anxiolytic with a single visit
This post about how most doctors will give out antidepressants and anxiolytics very easily was extremely contradictory to my experience. Doctors seem to give out antidepressants and things of that nature extremely* easily, but anxiolytics much much less. It's all about potential for abuse and them covering their ass. If they do give you an anxiolytic it is usually under dosed and possibly not a strong enough Med to begin with, I m p e.

Just my two cents as I feel that's what this post is all about, people sharing their experiences to help this man find peace in everyday life.

Phildago55

Awards
" real medications are the exact same thing as herbal medications"- have to disagree big-time on this one sir. Herbal medications can be stopped much easier than prescription ones and prescription medications come with many many side effects that herbal medications most times do not have or are much less severe. I'm speaking from personal experience of course. Every antidepressant or related drug doctors have put me on have made me feel either extremely manic, suicidal, or one even had a very odd side effect that made me want to speak in rhymes constantly as if I was some kind of eloquent rapper. It was very odd. And when they took me off these meds there was a period of dullness where I felt like nothing mattered and an h-bomb could have been dropped on my town and I wouldn't have cared or noticed. I haven't ever experienced any of those type of side effects with herbal supplements and I have taken damn near everything that's out there. I have two very large medicine cabinets at my house one of which is an antique ice chest the other one the same size. So in my personal opinion I would have to say that RX brain medications are far more dangerous than an herbal alternative.
This post about how most doctors will give out antidepressants and anxiolytics very easily was extremely contradictory to my experience. Doctors seem to give out antidepressants and things of that nature extremely* easily, but anxiolytics much much less. It's all about potential for abuse and them covering their ass. If they do give you an anxiolytic it is usually under dosed and possibly not a strong enough Med to begin with, I m p e.

Just my two cents as I feel that's what this post is all about, people sharing their experiences to help this man find peace in everyday life.
Antidepressants are Anxiolytic, as well as antihistamines being Anxiolytic too. Doctors will not easily prescribe Benzos for general anxoety for a multitude of reasons. The main reason being the side effect profile vs the effects. The effects are overkill for most cases of general anxiety and the side effects can cost people their lives.

It's not my opinion that herbals are the same as pharmaceuticals, it's fact. The difference is that pharmaceuticals are tightly regulated and pure, whereas herbals are not. There's no benefit to consuming a gram of excess plant matter. Hypercin is the active ingredient in Sjw, it has Maoi action. Maybe you tolerate MAOIs better than SSRIs. Maybe your doctor had you at too high of a dose of whatever you were taking.

NeuroTropic

NeuroTropic

Banned
Awards
Antidepressants are Anxiolytic, as well as antihistamines being Anxiolytic too. Doctors will not easily prescribe Benzos for general anxoety for a multitude of reasons. The main reason being the side effect profile vs the effects. The effects are overkill for most cases of general anxiety and the side effects can cost people their lives.

It's not my opinion that herbals are the same as pharmaceuticals, it's fact. The difference is that pharmaceuticals are tightly regulated and pure, whereas herbals are not. There's no benefit to consuming a gram of excess plant matter. Hypercin is the active ingredient in Sjw, it has Maoi action. Maybe you tolerate MAOIs better than SSRIs. Maybe your doctor had you at too high of a dose of whatever you were taking.
What? Not all antidepressants are anxiolytics. Benzos are great as needed for severe anxiety but there are many other safer long term routes.

There's a number of pharmaceutical grade herbal extracts that are regulated and clinically proven to be effective in many conditions. Just a few but;

Perika extract (WS® 5570) St John's Wort https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=WS+5570
EGb 761 brand of Gingko Biloba extract aka Ginkgold https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=EGb+761
Silexan aka Calmaid https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Silexan
Zembrin Kanna extract https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Zembrin

Phildago55

Awards
I never claimed that all antidepressants are Anxiolytic. SSRIs just happen to be one type that people are familiar with.

As I said in an earlier post. Herbals work, but they are unregulated and much more difficult to properly dose. So why would you want to consume an extra gram of ground up plant garbage.

Benzos are good for panic attacks, but the side effects outweigh the positive effects for general anxiety.

Im not sure if you're promoting products or not, but you do promote a decent amount of misinformation.

Anxiety disorders are medical diagnoses the same way any physical diagnosis is. There's no reason to resort to an inferior product promoted by broscientists when someone can go to an actual doctor and get pharmaceutical grade drugs that are easily adjusted to proper doses. Drugs that don't have the excess garbage plant matter, that is not only unnecessary, but could contain compounds that are potentially taxing on the body.

There are plenty of nootropics that are pure, work, and have benefits that pharmaceuticals don't. One such nootropic is aniracetam. Sjw is not.

Could it be successfully utilized? Yes

Is it worth the money? No

NeuroTropic

NeuroTropic

Banned
Awards
I never claimed that all antidepressants are Anxiolytic. SSRIs just happen to be one type that people are familiar with.

As I said in an earlier post. Herbals work, but they are unregulated and much more difficult to properly dose.

The herbals I listed are regulated and standardized. You seem unaware many herbs are approved as drugs in other countries and produced to pharmaceutical grade standards for herbal products.

NeuroTropic

NeuroTropic

Banned
Awards
Im not sure if you're promoting products or not, but you do promote a decent amount of misinformation.

Anxiety disorders are medical diagnoses the same way any physical diagnosis is. There's no reason to resort to an inferior product promoted by broscientists when someone can go to an actual doctor and get pharmaceutical grade drugs that are easily adjusted to proper doses. Drugs that don't have the excess garbage plant matter, that is not only unnecessary, but could contain compounds that are potentially taxing on the body.
I promote nothing but facts you repeatedly display a severe lack of knowledge in every area I've since you post in so far.

Most doctors are idiotic salesmen who have no interest in helping you, keep up with the latest in research, or are aware of all the options for a given health condition. I would not advise people to take their suggestions without reviewing it for themselves and deciding what's best.

Phildago55

Awards
The herbals I listed are regulated and standardized. You seem unaware many herbs are approved as drugs in other countries and produced to pharmaceutical grade standards for herbal products.
The average person coming on a forum here isn't going to go to a foreign pharmacy for herbals. That's crazy.

NeuroTropic

NeuroTropic

Banned
Awards
The average person coming on a forum here isn't going to go to a foreign pharmacy for herbals. That's crazy.
You're an amazing idiot. The ones I listed are sold on iherb and nearly every health store in the US. Did you not bother to look up or google any of them? Seems like. Read alot more before you post. It's getting embarrassing to reply to you.

Phildago55

Awards
I promote nothing but facts you repeatedly display a severe lack of knowledge in every area I've since you post in so far.

Most doctors are idiotic salesmen who have no interest in helping you, keep up with the latest in research, or are aware of all the options for a given health condition. I would not advise people to take their suggestions without reviewing it for themselves and deciding what's best.
Youre promoting toxins with a single positive research article in rats, and herbal medications over FDA tested and regulated drugs.

It's reckless.

Phildago55

Awards
You're an amazing idiot. The ones I listed are sold on iherb and nearly every health store in the US. Did you not bother to look up or google any of them? Seems like. Read alot more before you post. It's getting embarrassing to reply to you.
Your arguments are feeble. They have no bite. It's very clear that you haven't worked in a lab based off your interpretation of research papers, and no i didnt bother looking at the products youre pushing on people because the united states doesn't regulate supplements or herbals. They can sell you anything. I know the laws, so whatever you think they're selling you is bs.

rowz4broz

rowz4broz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
drama aside have been using the SJW for a couple days now. Very interesting in regards to the effects. Kind of puts me in a blah mood.. almost like I don't have emotions either positive or negative.

NeuroTropic

NeuroTropic

Banned
Awards
Youre promoting toxins with a single positive research article in rats, and herbal medications over FDA tested and regulated drugs.

It's reckless.
You have no idea how to read research and some herbal medications are safer and more effective than FDA approved drugs. That's just a fact.

NeuroTropic

NeuroTropic

Banned
Awards
Your arguments are feeble. They have no bite. It's very clear that you haven't worked in a lab based off your interpretation of research papers, and no i didnt bother looking at the products youre pushing on people because the united states doesn't regulate supplements or herbals. They can sell you anything. I know the laws, so whatever you think they're selling you is bs.
The FDA regulates dietary supplements and herbs. Many are 3rd party lab tested. Others are approved medications from other countries. As long as you get a brand that follows GMP you are getting a guaranteed dose every time.

You're a ****ing retard and have no clue what you're saying. I'm going to have the mods step in at this point.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
If you're going to bash every supplement because "the united states doesn't regulate supplements or herbals" then you're on the wrong forum my friend. Better to just gracefully leave now and go find somewhere else to troll because this is a SUPPLEMENT FORUM.

NeuroTropic

NeuroTropic

Banned
Awards
drama aside have been using the SJW for a couple days now. Very interesting in regards to the effects. Kind of puts me in a blah mood.. almost like I don't have emotions either positive or negative.
I've always been meaning to try it. Which brand are you using?

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

It's reckless.
Surely you are aware that many pharmaceuticals are toxic and have multiple side effects. Then you get prescribed more pharmaceuticals to counteract those side effects. It’s a beautiful thing!

rowz4broz

rowz4broz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've always been meaning to try it. Which brand are you using?
71nbxQkBxoL._SX522_.jpg

my research has indicated to me that when selecting a brand of sjw you want one with something similar to this:

"MORE POTENT FOR BETTER MOOD SUPPORT: Our St. John's wort supplement is standardized to .3% hypericin, giving you more of the active natural chemical that gives the herb its mental health benefits.:

rowz4broz

rowz4broz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
View attachment 158028

my research has indicated to me that when selecting a brand of sjw you want one with something similar to this:

"MORE POTENT FOR BETTER MOOD SUPPORT: Our St. John's wort supplement is standardized to .3% hypericin, giving you more of the active natural chemical that gives the herb its mental health benefits.:

I think its interesting people are saying this stuff takes weeks to feel.
I definitely noticed something upon my first dose.
Very subtle, but there for sure.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes, that is the same for my wife as I had posted earlier. There is no doubt an acute effect and it is definitely not placebo.

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
drama aside have been using the SJW for a couple days now. Very interesting in regards to the effects. Kind of puts me in a blah mood.. almost like I don't have any emotionseither positive or negative.
Isn't St John's Wort supposed to make you feel better??

Yes, that is the same for my wife as I had posted earlier. There is no doubt an acute effect and it is definitely not placebo.
What are the actual mood boosting effects like?

rowz4broz

rowz4broz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well if your feeling anxiety blah would be better.

Still early in my bottle ill keep reporting back

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

What are the actual mood boosting effects like?
It's not a zombie like effect, it just makes things a little "flat" if that makes sense. So if you have anxiety or nervousness, this helps take that away. This is in part why we don't use it all the time in our house. You want emotions and highs/lows, but it is good to be able to contain that when necessary and SJW is a pretty effective way to do so.

Phildago55

Awards
Surely you are aware that many pharmaceuticals are toxic and have multiple side effects. Then you get prescribed more pharmaceuticals to counteract those side effects. It’s a beautiful thing!
The toxins he's promoting are in a different thread. My bad for the overspill.

Herbals and pharmaceuticals are still the same thing. If you have a side effect with a pharmaceutical you will have similar side effects with an herbal medication in the same class of drugs.

It's just the nature of the active compounds. St. John's wort is an MAOI, it will have all the same effects as ANY other MAOI. There's nothing magical about the fact that it's "natural" It's just more expensive and impossible to know exactly how much you're getting.

Not to mention the fact that MAOIs are regarded as having a harsher side effect profile than SSRIs and other Anxiolytics such as Buspar.

Sjw may work for you and thats great. I just don't see why you wouldn't go to the doctor and ask for an MAOI, let your insurance cover it, and have an exact dose that you can manipulate.

Phildago55

Awards
If you're going to bash every supplement because "the united states doesn't regulate supplements or herbals" then you're on the wrong forum my friend. Better to just gracefully leave now and go find somewhere else to troll because this is a SUPPLEMENT FORUM.
There are plenty of supplements that have their niche. What we are discussing here are drugs. Sjw derived Hypercin vs other Anxiolytic/antidepressants

Why would I belong to a forum if I was against supplements?

Im not even really bashing the sjw. There are just better options, and I'm trying to communicate the fact that sjw is just an unregulated drug. If you don't have insurance then why not go for the sjw? But if you do, why not save money and get the pure, regulated stuff?

I'd say the same thing about any supplement, however there are areas where herbals have superiority. Mucuna pureins are an example. If you are trying to prevent prolactin it makes complete sense to take them since a doctors prescription to a dopamine agonist would require a blood test, high prolactin and possibly even an MRI to scan for prolactinoma.

Sjw is not one of these examples. It's cheap and easy to get a superior product from the doctor.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There are plenty of supplements that have their niche. What we are discussing here are drugs. Sjw derived Hypercin vs other Anxiolytic/antidepressants

Why would I belong to a forum if I was against supplements?

Im not even really bashing the sjw. There are just better options, and I'm trying to communicate the fact that sjw is just an unregulated drug. If you don't have insurance then why not go for the sjw? But if you do, why not save money and get the pure, regulated stuff?

I'd say the same thing about any supplement, however there are areas where herbals have superiority. Mucuna pureins are an example. If you are trying to prevent prolactin it makes complete sense to take them since a doctors prescription to a dopamine agonist would require a blood test, high prolactin and possibly even an MRI to scan for prolactinoma.

Sjw is not one of these examples. It's cheap and easy to get a superior product from the doctor.
Go away redman24

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The toxins he's promoting are in a different thread. My bad for the overspill.

Herbals and pharmaceuticals are still the same thing. If you have a side effect with a pharmaceutical you will have similar side effects with an herbal medication in the same class of drugs.

It's just the nature of the active compounds. St. John's wort is an MAOI, it will have all the same effects as ANY other MAOI. There's nothing magical about the fact that it's "natural" It's just more expensive and impossible to know exactly how much you're getting.

Not to mention the fact that MAOIs are regarded as having a harsher side effect profile than SSRIs and other Anxiolytics such as Buspar.

Sjw may work for you and thats great. I just don't see why you wouldn't go to the doctor and ask for an MAOI, let your insurance cover it, and have an exact dose that you can manipulate.
Toxicity and side effects aside, I think there is certainly a place for natural alternatives as well as pharmaceutical options. Side effects can occur with both choices, no doubt..

If somebody is REALLY struggling with an acute situation, Rx is the way to go. I won’t argue there at all! While benzos are extremely addictive and cause dependency issues, they do the trick for anxiety more effectively than anything else. Concurrently starting up an SSRI could also eventually be effective, if you are lucky enough to get the right one for you from the start. Wellbutrin can be effective too.

Honesty, I think the best choice for kick you in the ass acute anxiety/depression would be dexedrine spansules (hit serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine) as it works from the first dose. Add on Klonopin (due to its long half life) for a benzo to combat the anxiety factor. That would be my recipe for getting someone in the fetal position out of bed that has been paralyzed by overwhelming anxiety/depression.