Supplements for training recovery

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What recommendations do you have?
I realise I probably need a deload week, or to stop 2 hour lifting sessions.

Bodies feeling a bit worn, does anything help?

Things such as:
Tart Cherry
L-Glutamine
LCLT
HMB
Cissus

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
lol I have actually tried all of these, except for LCLT (what is that?). Nah didnt work for me. Tons of food & sleep do the trick.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I would agree with BennyMagoo79 - sleep is the recovery KING. HMB and ZMA might be helpful, and you could experiment with adding in some of these ingredients to your post or intra workout. I think glutamine can be helpful to an extent with recovery. Creatine can be helpful too

I would also check out Intramax (some retailers are still carrying Powermax XT). It's a solid daily ergogenic supplement that can help with recovery, power/performance, and also help with pumps and fullness. It's a very complete product that contains tested ingredients and studied doses.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
lol I have actually tried all of these, except for LCLT (what is that?). Nah didnt work for me. Tons of food & sleep do the trick.
L-Carnitine L-Tartrate

I'm not a huge eater to be honest, and I generally sleep ok.

iamyourfather

iamyourfather

Awards
- cisuss CAN help for some joint injuries (check examine.com for cissus quadrangularis)

- 15g gelatine a day, best with ~200mg Vitamin c can or will help to improve the collagen synthese (you can buy powdered gelatine)

(m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2016/11/15/ajcn.116.138594.abstract)

- things like msm, glucosamin etc. help with the pain but not with the inflammation! so its just temporary.

oh and L-Glutamine doesnt help with regeneration IF your daily protein intake is ~2g/kg; the only reason to supplement glutamine is to support your digestive system or to boost your immune system during you are ill.

of course you should have enough

- zinc
- vitamin d
- calcium
- phosphorus
- and obviously protein

(ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17241917)

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
What recommendations do you have?
I realise I probably need a deload week, or to stop 2 hour lifting sessions.

Bodies feeling a bit worn, does anything help?

Things such as:
Tart Cherry
L-Glutamine
LCLT
HMB
Cissus
First questions are not supplements they are..
How often are you training for 2 hours?
How much cardio are you doing? (Which hampers recovery)
What is your nutrition like?
How much are you sleeping?
Do you do any forms of ART? Stretching? Rolling?

The supplements are the very small part of the big picture which you will end up spending more money on instead of your food and taking care of sleep to help recover.

You even said yourself you train a lot and should probably cut back. There is the red flag. Sometimes the hardest decisions are the best. Getting comfortable with doing less with most of the times aid recovery and help your strength. Some people think more = better, that is not always the case with anything in life. There is a law of diminishing returns when it comes to training volume and frequency.

LCLT (Recovery)
HMB (Recovery)
HICA (Recovery/Endurance)
Glutamine does not aid recovery, MAYBE digestion aid if anything. There is not a single study to back glutamine for performance because 99% of people will get plenty from whole food.
Beta-Alanine (Endurance/Performance)
Creatine (Strength/Endurnace/Performance)
Peak02 (Increase VO2 Max)

Refer to my thread here about glutamine:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/294451-glutamine-amazing-scam.html

mbonheur

mbonheur

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Swanson Ultra Muscle Comfort Formula helps a little bit.

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
Are you taking the basics? Without the basics like creatine, BCAA's and others you shouldn't even consider anything more advanced. I like Betaine too. There are quite a few I like but a good protein supplement is the best start!

I do really think HumaPro is a great supplement for recovery IMHO.

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Eaas sustamine taurine tmg beta alanine and orotic acid with some carbs intra is the best comprehensive formula that I have used. I got very good results from hi techs laxo 100 as well.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Sleep is a BIG ONE (I have had terrible sleep for the past week and it's really affected my recovery)

Food - BURGERS or just more carbs/fat always help with my recovery

Supplements such as creatine, Beta Alanine, Finish Line by Iforce is a GREAT recovery product

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Food and sleep are def king... Something that could help in both aspects would be SNS Growth Factor XT as it can increase hunger as well as help provide deeper sleep which would help take care of both your aspects!

ManuR

Awards
  • Established
good peri workout nutrition and enough sleep (7+ hours imo)

Alistair_

Awards
I take a crap load of gelatin everyday as well. I've found it to be the best thing for joints and tendons and really helps mine after being dried out from loads of anti-histamines I have to take for allergies

- cisuss CAN help for some joint injuries (check examine.com for cissus quadrangularis)

- 15g gelatine a day, best with ~200mg Vitamin c can or will help to improve the collagen synthese (you can buy powdered gelatine)

(m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2016/11/15/ajcn.116.138594.abstract)

- things like msm, glucosamin etc. help with the pain but not with the inflammation! so its just temporary.

oh and L-Glutamine doesnt help with regeneration IF your daily protein intake is ~2g/kg; the only reason to supplement glutamine is to support your digestive system or to boost your immune system during you are ill.

of course you should have enough

- zinc
- vitamin d
- calcium
- phosphorus
- and obviously protein

(ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17241917)

Alistair_

Awards
To OP, assuming a person is getting the basics like 8 hours sleep and sufficient protein and carbs, these supplements have helped me the most with recovery:

Tri-Pep BCAA taken directly before workout or intra-workout. I mix mine with Gaspari Glycofuse.

Citruline Malate, beta-alanine, L-arginine and creatine.

ZMA, Tribulous Terrestris, Long Jack, and vitamin D3.

HMB helps me very much with strength but makes me feel run-down and tired all the time.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To OP, assuming a person is getting the basics like 8 hours sleep and sufficient protein and carbs, these supplements have helped me the most with recovery:

Tri-Pep BCAA taken directly before workout or intra-workout. I mix mine with Gaspari Glycofuse.

Citruline Malate, beta-alanine, L-arginine and creatine.

ZMA, Tribulous Terrestris, Long Jack, and vitamin D3.

HMB helps me very much with strength but makes me feel run-down and tired all the time.
If you’re talking citrulline, you really don’t need arginine; citrulline > arginine.

Also, HMB is solid for recovery, but I’ve never heard of it making people feel run-down at all, in studies or user feedback. That’s strange. Did you change any other variables when you used HMB?

Alistair_

Awards
If you’re talking citrulline, you really don’t need arginine; citrulline > arginine.

Also, HMB is solid for recovery, but I’ve never heard of it making people feel run-down at all, in studies or user feedback. That’s strange. Did you change any other variables when you used HMB?
Just my experience with HMB and I speculate it to be from Leucine's ability to reduce serotonin levels in the brain. (With HMB being a metabolite of leucine).
I even tried talking Prozac with HMB to no avail.

I don't take any SSRI medications or anxiety meds, just for experimentation, thought I'd try it to see if it would counter the HMB induced depression.

I get the same effect from plain free form BCAA. The Tri-Pep BCAA are the only ones I've been able to take that don't give me the run down, depressed feeling.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I like Humapro and sometimes use Finish Line. Humapro is everyday :)

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Training, diet (don’t forget water) and sleep are the big 3 that will effect recovery. Make sure these are all in line before you spend money on supplements that may not help you. I haven’t used a lot of supplements specifically for this, but I do use IntraMax every training session.

Intramax is designed to be an intraworkout but can’t be used intra and post (how I use it).

IMG_0848.jpg

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Maybe up your protein or get bulk Leucine powder.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
My experience with BCAAs is they do nothing but slowly ruin the GI tract (I was taking BCAAs while fasted for some time, maybe I should have been taking with food)

Creatine, Betaine, citrulline, agmatine, and arginine are fantastic for performance but I don't feel any recovery benefits from these.

Fish oil is magnificent. 6g a day for me does the trick.

Fibre is underrated. 2-3 cups of oats & 2 cups of kale are my staple for fibre intake. I have fallen out the habit a couple times over the last 3 yrs and really notice I get run down within 2 or 3 weeks. Oats with honey (or brown sugar muahahahahaha) is how I work 11hrs on the tools after 4am squat sessions.

Also, deload. I deload every 4 or 6 weeks depending on what training protocol I'm using. It's hard at first but then you get into a rhythm with it and you can actually control how your body peaks and progresses.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In no way is the OP's question related to supplements. Kinda sad to see the mindless shilling of products here when the answer is related to his training frequency/intensity and nutrition.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In no way is the OP's question related to supplements. Kinda sad to see the mindless shilling of products here when the answer is related to his training frequency/intensity and nutrition.
Is it not? The title has the word “supplements” in it, and OP asked if any ingredients/supplements would help, even giving a list of supplements in question.

Alistair_

Awards
In no way is the OP's question related to supplements. Kinda sad to see the mindless shilling of products here when the answer is related to his training frequency/intensity and
nutrition.
Did you forget how to read?

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The title of this thread is “supplements for training recovery”.