If you take Stinging Nettle Watch Your Estrogen Levels - Gyno Watch!

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
Nettle works by binding and inactivating SHBG. This protein binds circulating hormones and acts as a natural storehouse to release when levels fall and bind when levels rise. It can hold DHT, Testosterone and estrogen among other hormones. Taking Nettle can release all three of these and if you have higher than normal estrogen levels it can cause gyno activity.

If you are going to start a nettle program make sure to have DIM/I3C on hand along with potentially a natural SERM to block these effects. Strong SHBG binders like dymethazine can also have this effect so be careful!

N Z Med J. 2007 Nov 9;120(1265):U2803.
Gynaecomastia in a man and hyperoestrogenism in a woman due to ingestion of nettle (Urtica dioica).

Sahin M1, Yilmaz H, Gursoy A, Demirel AN, Tutuncu NB, Guvener ND.
Author information
Abstract
Nettle (Urtica dioica) is commonly sold as a herbal tea in Turkey. We report a case of gynaecomastia in a man (in which the only aetiologic factor identified was nettle tea consumption) and a case of galactorrhoea in a woman (in which the only aetiologic factor identified was also nettle tea ingestion).

00A

00A

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No mention of amounts - grams in your comment?

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It actually seems to shrink my nipple puffiness. Just started it though.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It would take a pretty screwed up HPTA system to be in a situation as a male where you had so much bound estrogen that when it was released would tip the scales to a point of causing gyno. Considering the SHGB binds testosterone too when it released it would also free up the bound testosterone so the estrogen should not simply take over...

DIM is an amazing ingredient with lots of great benefits but listing this stuff up here like it is a probable situation most will have to deal with is ludicrous. Also why are you limiting this phenomenon to nettle? Almost all ingredients in any "testosterone booster" do exactly the same things via the same mode of action... Maca, Longjack, Tonkat Ali, Dyvanil, testophen they all do the same thing. Same as proviron, winstrol, and like you mentioned DMZ, they all bind heavily to the SHGB and could "cause" this. However without something else wrong with the mans HPTA this just wouldn't / shouldn't happen.

This is the type of thing that will have people saying that nettle will give you gyno like it is written as law.... nettle is probably the biggest and most widely used SHGB ingredient used in testosterone boosters. If this were a serious likelihood we would have found out about it over the last 10 years of probably millions of people using the ingredient to increase free test, or to help with urine flow...

I would be willing to bet that that mans entire hormone panel was off... we have nothing to look at to see it but we do have many people who have run these types of things over and over again without any issue myself included. I am gyno prone too, so I would notice if that were the case.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So is this safe to take, I have two bottles of this left.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How well is stinging nettle at shrinking the prostate? Lately I have been having to piss about every half hour. I've always went a lot, but it has gotten worse and I had my prostate checked in my mid 20s(almost 30 now) becaue of frequent urination(not as bad as now) and the doc said "it's a little large but nothing to be concerned about". Well it's years later and the urination is worse and I sure as hell don't want to be put on anti-androgen drugs. Plus I worry if I every need to get on TRT I won't be able to, unless I can use RAD 140 indefinitely(haven't used any sarms yet) in place of test, sicne it doesn't affect the prostate.

HAMinTheTrap

Awards
wut?

Its one of the main ingredients in SAN estrodex... an OTC anti-e supplement

Now im confused

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
How well is stinging nettle at shrinking the prostate? Lately I have been having to piss about every half hour. I've always went a lot, but it has gotten worse and I had my prostate checked in my mid 20s(almost 30 now) becaue of frequent urination(not as bad as now) and the doc said "it's a little large but nothing to be concerned about". Well it's years later and the urination is worse and I sure as hell don't want to be put on anti-androgen drugs. Plus I worry if I every need to get on TRT I won't be able to, unless I can use RAD 140 indefinitely(haven't used any sarms yet) in place of test, sicne it doesn't affect the prostate.
I don't know that it actually shrinks the prostate that much but it is WAY more effective for urine flow. However I think I remember reading it had a different method of action than just shrinking the prostate. I may be wrong, and it may shrink the prostate, but it has been at least 7 years since I researched it for that. Swanson Vitamins has a great product I use regularly it is a high extract and really helps out with urine flow.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So is this safe to take, I have two bottles of this left.
wut?

Its one of the main ingredients in SAN estrodex... an OTC anti-e supplement

Now im confused
You have 2 people out of MILLIONS of people using the ingredient that have had some anamoly where they "Think" that the nettle may have been the cause because they could not find anything else to explain it. They DID NOT find that nettle root caused it... it is their suspicion...

Again, if you are going to be alarmed by this you will never be able to take another testosterone booster without an AI or SERM... All testosterone boosters have SHGB binding agents...

I can assure you that it is EXTREMELY unlikely to ever need a SERM to counteract the 1 in 120,000,000 chance you might get gyno from nettle root. (Made up stat to show how unlikely it is)

The body has negative feedback loops that manage this type of thing. Estrogen is created during the testosterone aromatization, and if test levels are higher than usual more of it converts to estrogen. So if estrogen suddenly got high from being released by SHBG, it would tell the HPTA to make less testosterone because there is too much estrogen and then both estrogen and testosterone would fall until estrogen levels were at acceptable levels. If none of that happened it was not as a result of the SHBG binding supplements, but a failure of the negative feedback loop that controls the HPTA.

Now for a female it makes more sense, they mainly create estrogen... so when they free up hormones they are freeing up estrogen, testosterone amounts are almost negligible. If free levels of a hormone were going to get high from that it would more make sense that she would become hyper estrogenic. This is actually the premise behind testosterone boosters, they free up the testosterone so it can be active in the blood stream. If you increase the free test by 30% you are going to notice it. Since men make mostly testosterone this is how they mnake the body think there is much more testosterone because it frees up a lot of the bound stuff. It only makes sense it would work the same way for a woman but the effects would be more undesirable than high test is for a male.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You have 2 people out of MILLIONS of people using the ingredient that have had some anamoly where they "Think" that the nettle may have been the cause because they could not find anything else to explain it. They DID NOT find that nettle root caused it... it is their suspicion...

Again, if you are going to be alarmed by this you will never be able to take another testosterone booster without an AI or SERM... All testosterone boosters have SHGB binding agents...

I can assure you that it is EXTREMELY unlikely to ever need a SERM to counteract the 1 in 120,000,000 chance you might get gyno from nettle root. (Made up stat to show how unlikely it is)

The body has negative feedback loops that manage this type of thing. Estrogen is created during the testosterone aromatization, and if test levels are higher than usual more of it converts to estrogen. So if estrogen suddenly got high from being released by SHBG, it would tell the HPTA to make less testosterone because there is too much estrogen and then both estrogen and testosterone would fall until estrogen levels were at acceptable levels. If none of that happened it was not as a result of the SHBG binding supplements, but a failure of the negative feedback loop that controls the HPTA.

Now for a female it makes more sense, they mainly create estrogen... so when they free up hormones they are freeing up estrogen, testosterone amounts are almost negligible. If free levels of a hormone were going to get high from that it would more make sense that she would become hyper estrogenic. This is actually the premise behind testosterone boosters, they free up the testosterone so it can be active in the blood stream. If you increase the free test by 30% you are going to notice it. Since men make mostly testosterone this is how they mnake the body think there is much more testosterone because it frees up a lot of the bound stuff. It only makes sense it would work the same way for a woman but the effects would be more undesirable than high test is for a male.
Is there an alternative to Nettle Root to bind SHGB and help prostate, or does it matter what extract I get? To put it simple, I have Swanson Brand and it has been helping a lot with gyno, the trouble is nettle is supposed to lower blood pressure and it does that with me, but it seems like it temporarily raises blood pressure in me before it lowers it. Is there anything that will bind SHGB that won't affect BP at all? Maybe I can take one heard for prostate(as long as it isn't anti-anabolic) and one to bind SHGB if they're both cheap enough.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Is there an alternative to Nettle Root to bind SHGB and help prostate, or does it matter what extract I get? To put it simple, I have Swanson Brand and it has been helping a lot with gyno, the trouble is nettle is supposed to lower blood pressure and it does that with me, but it seems like it temporarily raises blood pressure in me before it lowers it. Is there anything that will bind SHGB that won't affect BP at all? Maybe I can take one heard for prostate(as long as it isn't anti-anabolic) and one to bind SHGB if they're both cheap enough.
When you say your BP rises first what kind of rise are we talking about, and for how long? If not by much, and not for very long then I wouldn't worry too much.

I really don't know the answer to the last question and suggestion so I won't try to guess.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When you say your BP rises first what kind of rise are we talking about, and for how long? If not by much, and not for very long then I wouldn't worry too much.

I really don't know the answer to the last question and suggestion so I won't try to guess.
I mean I get hot for about an hour or so plus a headache and then get relaxed. Sad thing is, it seems most herbal supplements seem to raise my BP, but more chemically isolated compounds don't. So I guess my body just like drugs more than herbs lol. Honestly it does feel like I'd get less side effects if I just took steroids sometimes lol.