Taking On Anxiety

Mr Physique

Mr Physique

Awards
Sup brahs,

So I battle mild-ish anxiety. It's on and off throughout the day of me typically freaking out about my heart. I also feel like my heart beat is rapid or I'm having a heart attack lol (I know this isn't true from checking my pulse, having others, seeing a doc about heart health, etc.)

I'm sure some of you with anxiety know what I'm talking about. It's pretty stupid, but it ****s me up.

I've seen a lot of bros recommend different things for anxiety. So those of you who've tried what do you recommend?

Note: I have not tried taking anything at this point to try to combat my anxiety. I do not wish to go on any prescription drugs either. But I've seen people say about pregnolone, kratom, dopamine, etc

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ashwagandha may be beneficial.
Are you in a legal marijuana state lol

Mr Physique

Mr Physique

Awards
No. I used to love pot tho. It gives me anxiety now like nothing else.

I've heard in legal states there are good strands for anxiety but at this point I almost find it hard to believe.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No. I used to love pot tho. It gives me anxiety now like nothing else.

I've heard in legal states there are good strands for anxiety but at this point I almost find it hard to believe.
There are some great anti anxiety strains. You just have to test them, and take it easy at first. YMMV like with supplements.

Mr Physique

Mr Physique

Awards
There are some great anti anxiety strains. You just have to test them, and take it easy at first. YMMV like with supplements.
Still have to wait for that day to come. I'm in PA and a lot of people think we'll be one of the last states, though it's decriminalized in Philly.

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah i am from PA, but live in CA. Modern vape pens with pure THC help, but are expensive and i wind up dependent... would be nice to find a slightly euphoric nootropic like oxiracetam with GABA enhancement, so i am not bored or craving THC chill all the time.

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
Black tea each morning helps me. Then I take Gaba 500mg. Then if I am down a little I take 5-HTP. Finally Methyl Folate finishes up the roster. I feel amazing and anxiety GONE!

niklasericson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ashwagandha.
L-Glycine
L-Theanine
Taurine
5 HTP
Phenibut (once max twice a week)

Prescription combo: Propanolol(Betablocker 10-20mg/ed)
Baclofen: 10-30mg/ed (Similar effect as Phenibut but safer)

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Black tea each morning helps me. Then I take Gaba 500mg. Then if I am down a little I take 5-HTP. Finally Methyl Folate finishes up the roster. I feel amazing and anxiety GONE!
In straight forward English that would mean

You dose black tea, gaba, methyl folate and sometimes htp 5? Or you mix and match depending on previous experience?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
aswagandha
kratom
aniracetam
lithium orotate (at night)
phosphatidyl serine

Also, on the point of marijuana, yes- indicas can and are often prescribed (here in CO at least) for anxiety. However, there is a lot of evidence starting to show how well CBD works and I can certainly attest to this. It helps my wife greatly and I personally see a nice mentally soothing effect as well. It is legal as it does not have the psychoactives in it, so could be something to look into.

Pec.Major

Awards
  • Established
People recommending Aswagandha, are we talking about KSM-66/Sensoril or just Aswagandha powder? I been using KSM-66 but I can´t say it helps with anxiety. But then again I have some severe anxiety issues.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
KSM-66
Kratom
Theanine
Rhodiola
Bacopa

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you change your mind about prescription drugs or want something that will work, consider a prescription for a beta blocker. They're non-addictive and won't make you drowsy like a lot of other anxiety options. Everything you're saying sounds like your heart rate increases and that causes you anxiety which makes your anxiety worse and the vicious cycle feeds itself. beta blockers have been used by actors, muscicians, public speakers, etc forever when dealing with stage fright. If you need any suggestions or want to know more, feel free to ask here or send me a PM. Hope you find something that works.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I say you post up those suggestions because while items posted work for some of us, those with really bad anxiety may need to go a script route.

Mr Physique

Mr Physique

Awards
I say you post up those suggestions because while items posted work for some of us, those with really bad anxiety may need to go a script route.
I double this. While prescription drugs aren't anything I want, some research could change my mind.

Is the only down side to Phenibut that it can be addictive?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Phenibut really messed with me and I cannot take it. Even 1 dose left me very groggy, moody, and caused brain fog the next day. It was like taking a sledgehammer to pound in a thumbtack- just way too much.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Propranolol. You can get it as regular or extended release. I've used it before public speaking events and it simply works. If you google propranolol and stage fright or public speaking, you'll find quite a bit of feedback.

Other drugs like anxiolytics (xanax, etc.) work too, but they have sides and often leave you feeling drugged up, which doesn't help in situations where you need to think clearly. With propranolol, I just take it an hour or half hour before I have to do something that I know is going to cause my heart to start racing and trigger my anxiety. You can use it for social events, flying, public speaking like I said, or whatever. If this is an ongoing everyday thing for you, I would recommend daily taking the extended-release, but if there are specific times you either know you're probably going to have anxiety or you feel it coming on, then just have the regular version on hand. Sometimes just knowing you have an option on hand is enough keep you calm.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was curious if it was Propranolol. I know a few executives that swear by it before large meetings.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I was curious if it was Propranolol. I know a few executives that swear by it before large meetings.
I've been using it for years and have used other anti-anxiety meds to compare. You don't feel any different after taking one; it just works.

dondon

dondon

Awards
  • Established
Magnesium is your best friend, take relax and restore whole food magnesium by garden of life, it doesn’t upset your stomach or anything like that. You have to understand that Anxiety feeds itself your magnesium stores like a dragster eats fuel. The more mental stress, the more magnesium you use, hence the more anxiety,and this goes for physical stress as well. Magnesium is one of the most deficient minerals in our country, our soil, our foods are all depleted, so it makes sense why there are so many people with anxiety disorders. Pharmaceutical companies love this fact so do some research.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ashwagandha.
L-Glycine
L-Theanine
Taurine
5 HTP
Phenibut (once max twice a week)

Prescription combo: Propanolol(Betablocker 10-20mg/ed)
Baclofen: 10-30mg/ed (Similar effect as Phenibut but safer)
If you try a beta blocker I would go with Bystolic. It vasodiolates through endothelial release of NO and won’t suppress cardiac output as much which in theory could mean less lethargy. Start at 5mg

Scott4bama15

Awards
For me it’s Kratom and 5-HTP. I’m very responsive to 5-HTP and haven’t gotten the dosing right yet but it seems like 50-75mg daily and it works better than the Paroxetine that I recently quit taking after being on for 4 years. Next step is to drop the Kratom and add either GABA or Picamillon. Phenibut is great but like many have stated it is addictive and has the same downsides as benzodiazepines. I tried picamillon once but maybe I was looking for it to be as strong as phenibut.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Sup brahs,

So I battle mild-ish anxiety. It's on and off throughout the day of me typically freaking out about my heart. I also feel like my heart beat is rapid or I'm having a heart attack lol (I know this isn't true from checking my pulse, having others, seeing a doc about heart health, etc.)

I'm sure some of you with anxiety know what I'm talking about. It's pretty stupid, but it ****s me up.

I've seen a lot of bros recommend different things for anxiety. So those of you who've tried what do you recommend?

Note: I have not tried taking anything at this point to try to combat my anxiety. I do not wish to go on any prescription drugs either. But I've seen people say about pregnolone, kratom, dopamine, etc
How long have you had this? I don't know if 'Anxiety' is the same as 'Panic Attacks', but believe it or not, extreme training, combined with poor breathing while sleeping (through the mouth) - can introduce Hypocapnia - reduced CO2, and cause panic. I gave this to myself when I was 290lbs and decided to get in shape with Intense Cardio combined with German Volume Training from Day 1 - yes I was very stupid once. I cured it by calming the F down, using a Breathe Right strip every night, and actually taping my mouth shut during sleep. I also read up on some Buteyko stuff. Just an FYI.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I can tell you that using a breathe right and taping your mouth shut isn't going to help anyone other than maybe you. LOL

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I love weed but recommending it for anxiety is bad advice imo. It can seriously increase anxiety and paranoia dependy on the individual.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I love weed but recommending it for anxiety is bad advice imo. It can seriously increase anxiety and paranoia dependy on the individual.
Which is why I suggested knowing which strain, and starting slow. Medicinal versus buying something random.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I can tell you that using a breathe right and taping your mouth shut isn't going to help anyone other than maybe you. LOL
With my allergies, this would be a way to committ suicide lol

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sup brahs,

Dont rely on drugs to get though this. rely on willpower. I started a new job and went though some, ulcers, stressed, I went though it though and better for it now.

do you take stimulates? is that the cause of rapid heart beat?

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I almost had a panic attack just reading about taping your mouth shut. Lol

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Dont rely on drugs to get though this. rely on willpower. I started a new job and went though some, ulcers, stressed, I went though it though and better for it now.

do you take stimulates? is that the cause of rapid heart beat?
I'm glad willpower worked for you. Congrats, you don't have an anxiety disorder. Drugs should only be attempted after non-pharmaceutical options have been tried, but to tell somebody that you don't know and don't know the full extent of what they're dealing to not consider a pharmaceutical option because you didn't need one is complete bull****!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm glad willpower worked for you. Congrats, you don't have an anxiety disorder. Drugs should only be attempted after non-pharmaceutical options have been tried, but to tell somebody that you don't know and don't know the full extent of what they're dealing to not consider a pharmaceutical option because you didn't need one is complete bull****!
I didnt say I dont know. I said go though the difficult times , it'll only make you better. Fall down, get back up. Stop being a wimp and staying down when you fall down. Its okay to cry, its okay to scream, its okay to express your emotions. Get back up

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Are you on long term prescription drugs like ssri's, ssni's to boost happy chemicals?

going low is part of the process, thats when the weak crumble. I know its cliche, when you least expect it, when things are at their lowest, things get better.

JVee63

Awards
You didn't know that willpower can fix a chemical imbalance or genetic predisposition? Come on man.

JVee63

Awards
Are you on long term prescription drugs like ssri's, ssni's to boost happy chemicals?

going low is part of the process, thats when the weak crumble. I know its cliche, when you least expect it, when things are at their lowest, things get better.
If I cringe any harder I fear I may cramp up really bad.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You didn't know that willpower can fix a chemical imbalance or genetic predisposition? Come on man.
I know right? I'm also working with some lung cancer patients. I think I should take his advice and tell them to stop crying and get back up.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes Obviously he is learning =-)

In all seriously, many people wimp out and rely on long term prescription meds to take care of their problems bc they dont have the mental toughness, responsibility or fortitude to go though with what it takes. Thank God I do

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

In all seriously, many people wimp out and rely on long term prescription meds to take care of their problems bc they dont have the mental toughness, responsibility or fortitude to go though with what it takes. Thank God I do
You're a c*nt and a seriously horrible person. Again, you didn't have an anxiety disorder, so congratulations. Some people are going to have their lives literally saved by good counseling and medication. And I will never stop calling out fraud mother****ers like you who think they're an authority because they make youtube videos. So go play in traffic while the adults continue speaking.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you might have GAD. Get a script for lexapro and you will start feeling much better. And anyone that says Rx is bad and supplements are good is living an overly simplistic life where everything fits neatly into one box or the other.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established

This post seems out of character for you. Just because you don’t understand the biochemical aspect of psychiatric conditions doesn’t mean they don’t exist and that others don’t experience them. If you were to take an Rx antidepressant you wouldn’t “magically” be happy. It likely would do absolutely nothing because you didn’t have any clinical issues, just normal day to day mild ones. Calling someone mentally weak for being depressed or having anxiety is low and I would think you’d have an open mind more than others on here.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You're a c*nt and a seriously horrible person. Again, you didn't have an anxiety disorder, so congratulations. Some people are going to have their lives literally saved by good counseling and medication. And I will never stop calling out fraud mother****ers like you who think they're an authority because they make youtube videos. So go play in traffic while the adults continue speaking.
This might be the funniest post I have ever read.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sounds like you might have GAD. Get a script for lexapro and you will start feeling much better. And anyone that says Rx is bad and supplements are good is living an overly simplistic life where everything fits neatly into one box or the other.
I thought busporine was more effective with GAD?? Plus you won't get most of the side effects that come with ssris

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
I thought busporine was more effective with GAD?? Plus you won't get most of the side effects that come with ssris
Ssris are first line. Buspirone takes a very long time to work and even then it’s not as effective. I rarely see that used anymore to be honest.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Buspirone might help when added on to something else, but I haven't seen it used effectively by itself. Patients vary though.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
okie Dokie . Think im in authority ? what? I dont think im better than anyone , we are all gods Children. Now I am better at classic physique competing than you . I know quite a lot about mental discilpine than you, and do certain anxiety disorders exists, I dont know, Ive had anxiety disorder before Thank God. for the people that have them like yourself I know God can bless you and get you better. My point is many people rely on drugs that dont need them because theyre mentally weak and want to rely on drugs and have people feel sorry for them. I love you like God loves all his children. =-) I hope your nasty attitude wishing people to die doesn't cause you a mental disorder or cancer =-) bc holding onto hate, fear, etc sure can cause illness in the body, along in the face , looking uglier. God bless you Child

This post seems out of character for you. Just because you don’t understand the biochemical aspect of psychiatric conditions doesn’t mean they don’t exist and that others don’t experience them. If you were to take an Rx antidepressant you wouldn’t “magically” be happy. It likely would do absolutely nothing because you didn’t have any clinical issues, just normal day to day mild ones. Calling someone mentally weak for being depressed or having anxiety is low and I would think you’d have an open mind more than others on here.
See my above post. As far as antidepressants, I was put on them at fourteen years old. My parents put me on them bc I listened to rock and roll, and questioned their beliefs. They believed a tv was wrong, they believed wearing shorts was wrong, they believed women have to wear dresses and keep their hair uncut. Well the antidepressants made me worse, more depressed and out of wack. Thankfully, after three months I was taken off them, I don't even know half the medicines they gave me, wellbutrin, klonopin, some other bull****. Thankfully my parents changed their beliefs some. Im so against over prescribed drugs bc so many kids , like myself , were and are given them as experiments.

For people that are sociopaths, schizo and see things, yes they need help.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
okie Dokie . Think im in authority ? what? I dont think im better than anyone , we are all gods Children. Now I am better at classic physique competing than you . I know quite a lot about mental discilpine than you, and do certain anxiety disorders exists, I dont know, Ive had anxiety disorder before Thank God. for the people that have them like yourself I know God can bless you and get you better. My point is many people rely on drugs that dont need them because theyre mentally weak and want to rely on drugs and have people feel sorry for them. I love you like God loves all his children. =-) I hope your nasty attitude wishing people to die doesn't cause you a mental disorder or cancer =-) bc holding onto hate, fear, etc sure can cause illness in the body, along in the face , looking uglier. God bless you Child

See my above post. As far as antidepressants, I was put on them at fourteen years old. My parents put me on them bc I listened to rock and roll, and questioned their beliefs. They believed a tv was wrong, they believed wearing shorts was wrong, they believed women have to wear dresses and keep their hair uncut. Well the antidepressants made me worse, more depressed and out of wack. Thankfully, after three months I was taken off them, I don't even know half the medicines they gave me, wellbutrin, klonopin, some other bull****. Thankfully my parents changed their beliefs some. Im so against over prescribed drugs bc so many kids , like myself , were and are given them as experiments.

For people that are sociopaths, schizo and see things, yes they need help.
I’m sorry that your parents put you through all that. As a child you obviously had no choice essentially and I can understand your current aversion towards those medications. You likely didn’t need them then as you don’t need them now. But for those that do have clinic illnesses, depression and anxiety disorders being among them, though perhaps not as life altering and physically obvious as schizophrenia, are still very real. The goal for anyone should be to become stable off medications, supplements and prescriptions alike. But some people have genetic differences or environmental circumstances that lead to chemical changes and morphological changes in the brain. It’s not just chemicals being out of whack. Various depressive and anxiety disorders have been shown via various imaging techniques to be actually physical changes in the human brain, with decreased hippocampal size being just one found in depressive disorders, and decreased amygdala size in anxiety disorders.

Just to be clear I assume everyone on this forum is an adult, and can make their own decisions with their own bodies. As a child with parents pushing medications on you that robbed you of your choice. But for those that choose to take these medications because of real clinical problems, not just daily fluctuation in stress and circumstances, they can be life altering for the better.

Reactions: Nac