Pycnogenol, pine bark, or grape seed extract?

dbuckley82

dbuckley82

Awards
  • Established
I've wanted to try pycnogenol for years, as for benefits, it's borderline ridiculous how many benefits it gives, look up the pycnogenol posting on examine.
Unfortunately, due to patents it is probably THE most expensive natural extract.

Long story short, has anyone ever experimented with Pine Bark Extract, or Grape Seed, which supposed contain the same Procyanidins but are 80% cheaper? I've heard they are beneficial, and also that they pale in comparison to pycnogenol.

Really looking on adding this to my arsenal, any insight would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

daxiang

Awards
  • Established
Doesnt that new pre4 pre workout have that pine bark ingredient?

dbuckley82

dbuckley82

Awards
  • Established
A couple of pre's have PBE/GSE. Most notably the Vaso6 complex in OL Re1gn

TrainerTone

TrainerTone

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been looking into pycnogenol lately ad well

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've wanted to try pycnogenol for years, as for benefits, it's borderline ridiculous how many benefits it gives, look up the pycnogenol posting on examine.
Unfortunately, due to patents it is probably THE most expensive natural extract.

Long story short, has anyone ever experimented with Pine Bark Extract, or Grape Seed, which supposed contain the same Procyanidins but are 80% cheaper? I've heard they are beneficial, and also that they pale in comparison to pycnogenol.

Really looking on adding this to my arsenal, any insight would be appreciated, thank you in advance.
I would be interested in this too.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Interesting how they keep reinventing grape seed extract. Stuffs been around for over 20 years that I know of but they keep finding new ways to market it.

mbonheur

mbonheur

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am using some bulk 95% pine Bark extract at 300mg ish, and I am very impressed by this stuff. Might become a believer, especially as it costs around 10 bucks for 100g. Could be placebo, but better recovery, better pump, lower blood pressure and even the alleged sun blocking effects seem to work (it is super sunny in Europe now)

offredjo

Awards
  • First Up Vote

I’ve been using the Patented Pycnogenol brand for years and I love it! Natrol sells it. I take two capsules (100mg total) prior to my workout and it’s great. Gives a nice pump too

mbonheur

mbonheur

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’ve been using the Patented Pycnogenol brand for years and I love it! Natrol sells it. I take two capsules (100mg total) prior to my workout and it’s great. Gives a nice pump too
Do you really feel a difference in comparison to a non patented extract? I honestly do not, but the price difference is insane

DaeshDontSurf

DaeshDontSurf

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Do you really feel a difference in comparison to a non patented extract? I honestly do not, but the price difference is insane
Insane, yes. The website Examine.com has it classed with GSE, and GSE is 500 times cheaper (especially in bulk). Since all the blood flow "studies" were confounded, I'd just add GSE to L-Citrulline/CM and call it a day. If you can find an *affordable* source of Beetroot powder, maybe add that (I seem to recall recent research on isolated potassium nitrate not panning out - but I could be wrong).

mbonheur

mbonheur

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Insane, yes. The website Examine.com has it classed with GSE, and GSE is 500 times cheaper (especially in bulk). Since all the blood flow "studies" were confounded, I'd just add GSE to L-Citrulline/CM and call it a day. If you can find an *affordable* source of Beetroot powder, maybe add that (I seem to recall recent research on isolated potassium nitrate not panning out - but I could be wrong).
Yeah, I pay like 10 bucks for 100g of 95% Pine Bark extract. This lasts almost a year.

DaeshDontSurf

DaeshDontSurf

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah, I pay like 10 bucks for 100g of 95% Pine Bark extract. This lasts almost a year.
Ah, now that is what I call affordable - that's what I'd do too :thumbsup: I do that with DIM - 100g bulk bag (a little more than $10, but not much) at about 200mg a pop = a loooooong time, LOL!