Do you think people waste way too much money on supplements?

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
Supplements do have their place, we all use them on here. But from an overall standpoint, do you think most lifters and aspiring bodybuilders in the gym rely too heavily on Supplements? For example I've heard questions thrown around such as "Can I live off of protein shakes?" Or "What happens if my pump product runs out?"

First of all as you know carbs play a role in muscle glycogen. The best way to achieve a pump is to load up on carbs before a workout. If you do not have carbs in your system, your pump is not gonna be nearly as good as when you have a nice carb loaded meal prior to your workout. You may not even achieve a pump at all if you are too carb depleted.

Protein powder has its place, but no way would you only want to consume protein powder over real food for the majority of your meals.

Secondly, do you absolutely need to drink a post workout carb supplement or even a scoop of whey protein? **** no. Eat a banana and drink some chocolate milk instead. Throw in a cliff bar while you are at it.

Its amazing to me when I'm at the gym and I see young people talking about this supplement and that supplement like they are necessary to achieve gains or get a monster pump. All you need is solid whole foods and plenty of water to make productive gains. No fat burner is gonna do **** either unless you are doing productive cardio with a solid diet.

Have one guy invest all his money into food and gallons of water for a month. Have the other guy spend all his money on supplements. I guarantee you the guy who has his diet down with whole foods makes much better gains than the guy who relies heavily on supplements as long as his training is good.

Daff

Daff

Awards
  • Established
I think I rely bit to much on supps, think it's a placebo effect but I do feel I train harder when I take a pre pump stim and my supps

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It’s all subjective really, and depends on many factors and variables. I do think that supplements often are emphasized a bit much by people, but they do have their place and uses. As long as you are able to pay your bills and feed yourself and your family and all of that sort of important thing, spending some disposable income on supplements seems fine to me. Of course, don’t rely on them as a crutch, but as a boost, as supplements to a proper diet and training protocol. Most people spend their disposable income on something, so if you’re spending it on supplements that are part of physical exercise and a proper diet, I suppose there are a lot worse things to spend your money on.

InItForGainz

Awards
  • Established
I think that a lot of it is psychosomatic. People think that the supplements they are taking are actually doing more for them than they actually are and end up depending on them. The placebo effect is strong.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Would I rather become big-ish and shredded at age 21 or age 25 having started at age 19?
Youth and time are invaluable

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If someone's working a low paying job to pay for all his supps as opposed to working a high paying one or uses their pocket money then the question's a little different

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Generally, yes. But if you have the money, do what you want with it. Supplements don't offer too much in terms of gains so it does seem ludicrous to me the amount of money some people spend. Everyone has their hobbies, though.

mike33511

Awards
  • Established
Most people are stupid. There's a reason why the Kardashians are so famous. Have you heard the "music" they play on the radio? Imagine how much money supplement companies have made off of beta alanine tingles.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
It’s all subjective really, and depends on many factors and variables. I do think that supplements often are emphasized a bit much by people, but they do have their place and uses. As long as you are able to pay your bills and feed yourself and your family and all of that sort of important thing, spending some disposable income on supplements seems fine to me. Of course, don’t rely on them as a crutch, but as a boost, as supplements to a proper diet and training protocol. Most people spend their disposable income on something, so if you’re spending it on supplements that are part of physical exercise and a proper diet, I suppose there are a lot worse things to spend your money on.
Agree 100 %. Good post!

danielmoo

danielmoo

Awards
  • Established
I'm really not one to tell people what they should and shouldn't spend money on. However, I think that if you're struggling financially in any way, supplements are the LAST thing you should be buying.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I bought roids and chickened out, the guy returned my funds lol

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
If the supplement is truly effective, "waste" is subjective, ie. money spent vs real world benefit attained. If a supplement does nothing real world effective, then I'd say that is 100% waste. BAIBA was a waste IMO. But there is stuff that real world works in most people (even Creatine has some non-responders, usually in high volume meat eaters, not Vegans :D). The waste factor goes down with the more people, in the most studies, by the least conflicted researchers - that see a real world improvement over placebo. Luckily, most of them are cheap too (Creatine, Cit-Mal, Baking Soda, HMB-CA, etc...).

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yes I think people do waste too much on supps when more of their focus should go onto keeping to a stricter diet and training program. But I'm a supplement whore so I can't talk too much ahah.