Training without any Supplements

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Title says it. I wanted to get a perspective from people on the forum.

I have been contemplating on training without any supplements. I am not jumping right into it because I have a couple of supplement logs that I owe some good people here.

I want to try training without supplementation for at least 3 months and see what changes does it bring to me (mentally and physically). Anybody on this forum tried it? How did you feel? Positives, Negatives, please share you views.

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It’ll save us a ton of money that’s for sure haha.

SlavicStrong

Awards
A break from anything is a necessity in my opinion. I currently use and have only been using rice protein power, multi and krill for well over half a year...but those are supplements? Not sure if you mean staples as well.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Absolutely. It would save me at least a couple 100s in a month.
A break from anything is a necessity in my opinion. I currently use and have only been using rice protein power, multi and krill for well over half a year...but those are supplements? Not sure if you mean staples as well.
I am talking about staples as well. Just whole food and nothing else.

Laith

Banned
Awards
You should definitely go for it. It's as natty as you can get and how it was before the supplement market grew to the extent it has now. I would go the same route if I wasn't preoccupied most of the time and relied on staples for supplementation.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Absolutely. It would save me at least a couple 100s in a month.

I am talking about staples as well. Just whole food and nothing else.
As long as you can have coffee I think you should be fine haha. I don’t really consider protein powder a supplement though, more of just a convenient high protein, low calorie food. You could do fine without it though of course, as long as you replace the protein/calories you normally get from it.

SlavicStrong

Awards
Similar to what muscleup said, I don’t really see a multivitamin and krill oil as supplements, just more as a health item. I’m no expert, but I wouldn’t predict any positive changes if you dropped the multi and krill, but I also wouldn’t foresee a negative from dropping them either (unless of course you are vitamin deficient), provided you are using them at all. I think keeping them in is better, but, as with all supplements, nothing is really needed if your diet is fine, which we all know.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Similar to what muscleup said, I don’t really see a multivitamin and krill oil as supplements, just more as a health item. I’m no expert, but I wouldn’t predict any positive changes if you dropped the multi and krill, but I also wouldn’t foresee a negative from dropping them either (unless of course you are vitamin deficient), provided you are using them at all. I think keeping them in is better, but, as with all supplements, nothing is really needed if your diet is fine, which we all know.
I keep my diet in good shape almost 95%of the time. One cheat meat here there..
As long as you can have coffee I think you should be fine haha. I don’t really consider protein powder a supplement though, more of just a convenient high protein, low calorie food. You could do fine without it though of course, as long as you replace the protein/calories you normally get from it.
I was hoping some one could chime in on their experience. Looks like nobody has done this before. The plan is to replace protein powder, Fish Oil, Multi vitamin, with more real food.
You should definitely go for it. It's as natty as you can get and how it was before the supplement market grew to the extent it has now. I would go the same route if I wasn't preoccupied most of the time and relied on staples for supplementation.
Looks like I am the only fool who’s going to try it. It would have been good to know what to expect.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It’s always good to take a break! Once I finish my tub of white flood I’ll be taking a similar break minus protein powder and PowerMax xt.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
One or twice a year ill come off supplements...except protein but its not really a supplement per sey

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I have been contemplating on training without any supplements. I am not jumping right into it because I have a couple of supplement logs that I owe some good people here.

I want to try training without supplementation for at least 3 months and see what changes does it bring to me (mentally and physically). Anybody on this forum tried it? How did you feel? Positives, Negatives, please share you views.
Good idea, IMHO, as long as you are natty AND your nutrition is on point. On gear you may need certain supplements, for example, if you are using insulin, you may benefit from a good carb source like Karbolyn. With orals, Tudca and NAC is a wise choice too.
My supplement consumption is way down from what it used to be -and my guess is, you don't need most of it.

EricMM

Awards
  • Established

i think it's good to take a month off at least. Nothing wrong with straight protein for one month out of the year. Nothing bad is going to happen lol You just may not push past a plateau for a while.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Dido on this. haha. But I've taken a lot of breaks some longer than others from supplements and personally I can tell a difference. When I'm not basic supps like multi, protein, creatine etc I definitely don't recover as fast. Then natty supps just help you achieve your results quicker by giving you that edge. So I would say you'll still get results not taking any supps but it will just take longer and not as good recovery without them. No supplements would create you to focus very hard on your diet to still get good results as well.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What are you year round supplements (except protein)? Differences you noticed?
multi vitamin
creatine
fish oil
amino products
husk fiber

I don't do it for long, maybe a week or two and don't notice a huge difference. An endurance drop in the gym is about it. Now if I stayed off for an extended period of time maybe things would be different. Sometimes I'll drop creatine for a month or so and get a little flat but nothing crazy.

The main thing I notice is when I get back on the supplements. First day or two I get some energy and the fiber after taking a week on makes the bathroom trips interesting.

ZachH

ZachH

Banned
Awards
I dont take any supplements for 8hrs every day. Night.
You're better than me. I wake up in the middle of the night after having nightmares of becoming catabolic, and instantly down a BCAA drink.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i think it's good to take a month off at least. Nothing wrong with straight protein for one month out of the year. Nothing bad is going to happen lol You just may not push past a plateau for a while.
I guess the only set back would be slower recovery and some strength loss.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
multi vitamin
creatine
fish oil
amino products
husk fiber

I don't do it for long, maybe a week or two and don't notice a huge difference. An endurance drop in the gym is about it. Now if I stayed off for an extended period of time maybe things would be different. Sometimes I'll drop creatine for a month or so and get a little flat but nothing crazy.

The main thing I notice is when I get back on the supplements. First day or two I get some energy and the fiber after taking a week on makes the bathroom trips interesting.
For me the bathroom trips were with Protein shakes before bed when I started supplementing.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You're better than me. I wake up in the middle of the night after having nightmares of becoming catabolic, and instantly down a BCAA drink.
Please tell me that you’re joking.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Please tell me that you’re joking.
It's no joke I took a break and had to start seeing a shrink to help deal with my anxiety of losing gains. Cost way more than my supps

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Seriously tho, I took a two month break this summer coz I felt burnt out, probably from stacking stims (I was also in pct) .
During those two months I was taking

Creatine
Citrulline Malate
Alanine
Taurine
Oakg
Aakg
HMB
TMG
CLA
LCarnitine
Multi
Fish oil
PA

Alongside the pct stuff

During that period my strength and stamina both went down markedly (partly because I was in pct), but they recovered somewhat after I started taking stims and other stuff again. I mean compared to before I took the break, my strength has decreased but that's probably largely due to the pct.

I reckon that if you were to take a break whilst not being in pct, your workouts would be temporarily worse but you'd be able to at least maintain your current muscle mass. You might even be able to make some really really natty gains. And in all realisticness, its important you still give it 100% in every workout which is easier said than done when you notice that you're not quite as strong as you're used to being

Good luck if you go for it

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
A friend of mine I work with is a world competitive power lifter in the <74kg class (just is now moving up) and does not use any supplements. No pre workouts because of how many people have failed drug tests on spiked supplements and no multivitamins etc.

Another is a national level sprinter and he went years without using supplements but just lately has been using recovery supplements.

They all can perform at high levels without them. They're most certainly not needed

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
A friend of mine I work with is a world competitive power lifter in the <74kg class (just is now moving up) and does not use any supplements. No pre workouts because of how many people have failed drug tests on spiked supplements and no multivitamins etc.

Another is a national level sprinter and he went years without using supplements but just lately has been using recovery supplements.

They all can perform at high levels without them. They're most certainly not needed
But, it’s different when you’re on supplements and then come off it unlike these athletes you mentioned who never take any supplements.

I think this period could be more mentally challenging than physical. Hope I don’t end up being depressed or some shyt. Coping up is going to be difficult.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Seriously tho, I took a two month break this summer coz I felt burnt out, probably from stacking stims (I was also in pct) .
During those two months I was taking

Creatine
Citrulline Malate
Alanine
Taurine
Oakg
Aakg
HMB
TMG
CLA
LCarnitine
Multi
Fish oil
PA

Alongside the pct stuff

During that period my strength and stamina both went down markedly (partly because I was in pct), but they recovered somewhat after I started taking stims and other stuff again. I mean compared to before I took the break, my strength has decreased but that's probably largely due to the pct.

I reckon that if you were to take a break whilst not being in pct, your workouts would be temporarily worse but you'd be able to at least maintain your current muscle mass. You might even be able to make some really really natty gains. And in all realisticness, its important you still give it 100% in every workout which is easier said than done when you notice that you're not quite as strong as you're used to being

Good luck if you go for it
Were you still using PCT “supplements” or did you cut your PCT short?

I don’t think PCT is a good time to cut all supps, even if it’s just the non-PCT products. You’re already fighting an uphill battle in PCT; why double it up by also cutting out all supplements you normally use? I think it makes more sense to wait until PCT is over to take a break, if you’re set on taking a break.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
But, it’s different when you’re on supplements and then come off it unlike these athletes you mentioned who never take any supplements.

I think this period could be more mentally challenging than physical. Hope I don’t end up being depressed or some shyt. Coping up is going to be difficult.
This sounds more like you're trying to ween of drugs than supplements haha.

The point is they're not needed to perform well. How you get off them in up to you, but you won't be sacrificing all that much. I use supplements because I enjoy the taste and it fits my hobbies, and the fact I enjoy using pre workouts also seems to mean that I literally can't wait to workout next so I can try new products and flavor combinations lol

But rest assured you'll be OK once you do. Log your journey :)

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Were you still using PCT “supplements” or did you cut your PCT short?

I don’t think PCT is a good time to cut all supps, even if it’s just the non-PCT products. You’re already fighting an uphill battle in PCT; why double it up by also cutting out all supplements you normally use? I think it makes more sense to wait until PCT is over to take a break, if you’re set on taking a break.
I was still taking pct supps. I agree, i didn't plan the year out well.
I thought lgd was like epicatechin or laxo and so I was taking it with a natty test booster at first, which I'd been taking for a few weeks before I started the lgd. Never again. I didn't have any SERMs for the first two weeks of the pct either. Never again
There was another medical issue which meant it was imperative I took a break from the stims, hence why I did. But this is also why I kept taking the list above, to help me keep my gains
If anyone else is considering taking a break I'd advise them not to do it during pct

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This sounds more like you're trying to ween of drugs than supplements haha.

The point is they're not needed to perform well. How you get off them in up to you, but you won't be sacrificing all that much. I use supplements because I enjoy the taste and it fits my hobbies, and the fact I enjoy using pre workouts also seems to mean that I literally can't wait to workout next so I can try new products and flavor combinations lol

But rest assured you'll be OK once you do. Log your journey :)
Totally kidding about depression and all that crap. The first few months as a beginner, I never took any supplements and did okay. I am taking this break as an experiment. So, will definitely log my 3 months here. Hopefully, this may give some perspective to people who are thinking about a break from supplements.

Pride89

Pride89

Awards
  • Established
I had a 3 month break from all of it when my first son was born, mostly because of cost, that break wasnt good for my overall physique mainly from lack of sleep! But When i came back to it all i had a different approach and that was good for me:)

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I had a 3 month break from all of it when my first son was born, mostly because of cost, that break wasnt good for my overall physique mainly from lack of sleep! But When i came back to it all i had a different approach and that was good for me:)
my buddy is dealing with that now...he takes his protein but dropped everything else....he has the mind set to just keep the decent physique he has and he's not going to improve it until his son is older....but he also said if he has a second child....hes just getting fat

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
That's tough, man. How do you do it..
I'd like to know this too. How the f*ck do you sleep 8 hours? Sorry... venting. I have an administrative position and 4.5month old. Carry on.

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I still take all the supps but get very little sleep and skip workouts. I was trying to set a bench record but determined being a good Dad and making piles of money to buy a house for the family in Northern VA was more important. I know its silly to take the supps... I'm not ready to let go yet.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know several people that train without supplements and they have impressive physiques. Remember, these supplements are natural products and they do help, but they will not create miracles. For the most part, I do not think you'll miss out on too much, maybe recovery and performance will be impacted the most. I would just keep protein intake on the higher end if you are going to eliminate creatine, betaine, and other ingredients that can aid with recovery. Drink coffee as a pre workout for a performance increase.

I think the only supplements I would keep is a mutli, fish oil, vitamin d/c. However, if your diet is going to vary every day and will be rich with fish and other nutrient rich foods, you could probably eliminate those.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I know several people that train without supplements and they have impressive physiques. Remember, these supplements are natural products and they do help, but they will not create miracles. For the most part, I do not think you'll miss out on too much, maybe recovery and performance will be impacted the most. I would just keep protein intake on the higher end if you are going to eliminate creatine, betaine, and other ingredients that can aid with recovery. Drink coffee as a pre workout for a performance increase.

I think the only supplements I would keep is a mutli, fish oil, vitamin d/c. However, if your diet is going to vary every day and will be rich with fish and other nutrient rich foods, you could probably eliminate those.
Now, thinking about what I take and what I can avoid, Fish Oil is going to be hard to avoid. Getting fresh fish where I live is impossible. I may have to depend more on Natural Peanut Butter, Almonds, Chia Seeds

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Now, thinking about what I take and what I can avoid, Fish Oil is going to be hard to avoid. Getting fresh fish where I live is impossible. I may have to depend more on Natural Peanut Butter, Almonds, Chia Seeds
Where do you live? Canned Salmon is the freshest you can get - comes off the boat and is boiled/canned right at the dock. Also, If you can fight the ingrained negative placebo ("man, I just know I'm gonna lose"...) you'll gain size and strength on just food. Back in the 70's all they had was egg powder and that super muscle builder Dibencozide (LOL) - plenty of huge people walking around. Even the drug users still maximized everything else too (nutrition). You'll be fine.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Where do you live? Canned Salmon is the freshest you can get - comes off the boat and is boiled/canned right at the dock. Also, If you can fight the ingrained negative placebo ("man, I just know I'm gonna lose"...) you'll gain size and strength on just food. Back in the 70's all they had was egg powder and that super muscle builder Dibencozide (LOL) - plenty of huge people walking around. Even the drug users still maximized everything else too (nutrition). You'll be fine.
Live in India and getting Salmon is like striking gold in a desert. Easiest to find is Canned Tuna.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just switch to Beef.
That’s exactly what I am doing now. Going on a brisket hunt tomorrow. People over here don’t know what a brisket is. May have to buy an entire cow and slice it out myself.

Oh yeah.. and we have cow vigilantes here since the start of the new government. It might sound stupid, but people have been killed here for buying beef.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That’s exactly what I am doing now. Going on a brisket hunt tomorrow. People over here don’t know what a brisket is. May have to buy an entire cow and slice it out myself.

Oh yeah.. and we have cow vigilantes here since the start of the new government. It might sound stupid, but people have been killed here for buying beef.
You must have serious cravings if you're putting up with that much risk haha. Try going to a butchers in a posh-ish area with loads of expats. The butchers there are more likely to sell beef the western way (specific cuts).

And bring a bat signal . They say that when you're in need, timbahwolf will come ??

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You must have serious cravings if you're putting up with that much risk haha. Try going to a butchers in a posh-ish area with loads of expats. The butchers there are more likely to sell beef the western way (specific cuts).

And bring a bat signal . They say that when you're in need, timbahwolf will come &#55358;&#56606;&#55356;&#57339;
Lol.. I can eat at least 2lbs of beef at a go.. A good steak, medium rare or rare, red wine or Jack Daniel sauce with some veggies.. Brisket is when I have the time to do it.. Drool...